PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Book of the Dead DVD

James Boba Fettfield
03-02-2002, 09:28 PM
I just got my Book of the Dead edition in the mail today from deepdiscountdvd.com. Upon opening it from the shrinkwrap I was engulfed by the worst smell. Smells like vinyl and paint, and the smell does not go away. Oh no, it lingers. I opened the book and spent about an hour deciphering the Book of the Dead (if you own one you'll understand.) After that I decided to watch the movie. This movie's quality is superb...it is great compared to past versions of the film. A few things I did not like about it was the plastic slip case for the DVD...it was tricky sliding it back in while trying not to get fingerprints on it. And the book did not have the feel I expected it to have, but other than that this set is worth the $30 I spent for it. I can only hope it sets the bar for what great movies should attain to be on DVD someday.

Beast
03-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I just got my Book of the Dead edition in the mail today from deepdiscountdvd.com. Upon opening it from the shrinkwrap I was engulfed by the worst smell. Smells like vinyl and paint, and the smell does not go away. Oh no, it lingers.
They are talking about this over in the DVD forums at Home Theater Forum. Leave it in a well ventilated area, like by a cracked open window for about a day and the smell will fade. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-02-2002, 09:44 PM
I may just keep the smell to it. Kind of reminds me of the Halloween store in the mall with the vinyl masks and costumes. Then again, that's just me.

SithDroid
03-03-2002, 12:58 AM
People got this early? Someone is breaking the street date. Shame on them.:mad:

Beast
03-03-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
People got this early? Someone is breaking the street date. Shame on them.:mad:
Most on-line retailers ship when an item comes into stock, in the case of this disc, most retailers have had it for a long time now. They ship it early so that it arrives on the street date, but 9 times out of 10 people recieve them early. My local Media Play has had their shipment in the storeroom almost 2 weeks now.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
03-03-2002, 01:26 AM
I know that. I used to work at a video store and we'd get our product in way before street date and it would have to sit on the shelves until the street date in order to put it out. That was always one of the cool things about working there. We got to see stuff way ahead of everyone. Anyway it doesn't matter, I'm getting my Evil Dead in 3 days.

Jayspawn
03-03-2002, 01:28 AM
Yeah its out early some places. I saw one at a used music and movie store by my house. It looked pretty cool. I havn't had a chance to actually look at it yet.

James Boba Fettfield
03-03-2002, 01:02 PM
The Gungan's right. Ordering from online stores or mail order catalogs always does this. It happened to me with Ep. 1 on VHS from Critics Choice Video, and I was hoping it would happen with Evil Dead. Thank the maker it did. Now if it will only happen with the upcoming UHF and Simpsons season II in early June...

SithDroid
03-03-2002, 05:43 PM
UHF is being released. When is the date for that? I'll definately pick that up. Man I never thought that would get made seeing as Orion went out of business.

Beast
03-03-2002, 06:16 PM
UHF is being released. When is the date for that? I'll definately pick that up. Man I never thought that would get made seeing as Orion went out of business.
Yep, UHF is finally coming to DVD on June 4th. It's packed with features as well. Check it out over at: http://www.weirdal.com/latenews.htm . That's Weird Al's official site, and it tells all about the extra features you can expect. By the way, the reason we are getting it was because MGM bought up most of Orion's films, and they really champion cult hit movies on DVD. Here is a list of the film's extra features:

Movie digitally remastered in both 16:9 (widescreen) and 4:3 (full screen)!
Running commentary by Al Yankovic and Jay Levey (plus surprise special guests)!
Deleted Scenes (hosted by Al)!
Photo gallery (with over 200 pictures)!
Behind The Scenes documentary!
Teaser trailer and full theatrical trailer!
The "UHF" music video!
Interactive menus!
Audio and subtitles in English, French & Spanish!

Sounds good. I actually saw this at the movies when it was released, so I definatly will have to pick it up. Good movie, for just a completly stupid comedy. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 12:05 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info. Not to get too off the subject but, does anyone know if we will ever see a DVD release of "The Pirate Movie." This movie was a classic parody of the Pirates of Penzance. It also had a little SW and Indiana Jones parody included in the film. It had a very limited run on VHS and has been OOP for a long time. Anyone know about it?

Beast
03-04-2002, 12:14 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info. Not to get too off the subject but, does anyone know if we will ever see a DVD release of "The Pirate Movie." This movie was a classic parody of the Pirates of Penzance. It also had a little SW and Indiana Jones parody included in the film. It had a very limited run on VHS and has been OOP for a long time. Anyone know about it?
Lemme check Home Theater Forum. According to them, there is alot of people asking for it, but right now there is no plans for Fox to produce the title. :( Sorry SithDroid. Guess you are gonna have to wait a while longer for it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 01:40 AM
:(

That is alright because I'm already excited about all the really cool stuff coming up this year already that I can wait, such as Back to the Future Trilogy, UHF, Evil Dead (two more days), OZ series 1, Simpsons season 2, Transformers season 1, Friends season 1, Star Trek: TNG season 1 and 2, etc...

James Boba Fettfield
03-04-2002, 10:20 AM
There's also the Uncut Batman Beyond Return of the Joker movie coming to DVD, and the first 5 episodes of the Batman Animated Series. Go Batman...

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Awesome. Why don't they just put out ALL the Batman episodes on DVD. I know a lot of people would buy them, including me.

Beast
03-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Awesome. Why don't they just put out ALL the Batman episodes on DVD. I know a lot of people would buy them, including me.
That's cause they are owned by Warner Bros. and they don't have a clue that fan's want season box sets of their TV shows. They keep releasing those stupid themed South Park sets, as well as the Best of Friends compilations. Though there is some hope coming, on April 30th the complete first sseason boxset of Friends is coming. And there is rumors for later this year of the same for Babylon 5. So there is a chance of more TV season boxsets from WB, on the horizen. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-04-2002, 04:10 PM
I understood the Batman thing as a trial run. If it sells well enough, then WB will committ themselves to releasing boxed season sets. At least that's what I hope they are doing.

Lord Malakite
03-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I understood the Batman thing as a trial run. If it sells well enough, then WB will committ themselves to releasing boxed season sets. At least that's what I hope they are doing.

So, are you planning on buying the Batman Beyond movie? I hope you are, so I can finally watch it.

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

That's cause they are owned by Warner Bros. and they don't have a clue that fan's want season box sets of their TV shows. They keep releasing those stupid themed South Park sets, as well as the Best of Friends compilations. Though there is some hope coming, on April 30th the complete first sseason boxset of Friends is coming. And there is rumors for later this year of the same for Babylon 5. So there is a chance of more TV season boxsets from WB, on the horizen. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

No kidding. I'd like to see the first season of South Park released as a box set with all of the extras that came out that year (ex. Jay Leno spoof, the original digital cristmas card that started it all, christmas special, etc.). Hopefully they will learn that that is what the peole want. Not a stupid DVD with only 3 episodes on it that sells for $30 (when they originally came out, now I find them for $9.99 but refuse to buy it hoping that a box set will be on the way).

James Boba Fettfield
03-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Yes, Malakite. I am going to buy the Uncut DVD version of it. I knew that if I just waited they would eventually put it on DVD. Come the end of April I shall have it. Since you went back to college Malakite I have been stocking the shelves with DVD's. It's quite amazing...

Wolfwood319
03-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Tomorrow I get my ED DVD. Also, I can't wait for the Batman: TAS for DVD, by far the greatest, non-simpsons cartoon made on this side of the Pacific Ocean ever.

I'm not that interested in Batman Beyond though, its a good show, but not as good as the original.

SithDroid
03-07-2002, 11:16 PM
Quick question. Does anybody know the difference between the Army of Darkness Diretor's Cut Edition (1st release) and the Army Of Darkness Director's Cut Bootleg Edition (2nd release)? I would like to purchase the bootleg edition, but I want to know if it has the same extra features as the 1st release. Can anyone help me out?

Beast
03-07-2002, 11:36 PM
Quick question. Does anybody know the difference between the Army of Darkness Diretor's Cut Edition (1st release) and the Army Of Darkness Director's Cut Bootleg Edition (2nd release)? I would like to purchase the bootleg edition, but I want to know if it has the same extra features as the 1st release. Can anyone help me out?
There is no difference, other then the keep case and disc art. The Director's Cut Edition, the one with He-Man Ash on the cover is the limited edition re-release of the 2nd disc from the 2-disc "Army of Darkness" set. Alot of people missed it, so Anchor Bay re-released it again in the cheesy bootleg "paperbag" packaging, and made it unlimited. Hope that helps. If you just care about having the disc, and not what the case looks like, get the bootleg edition. Don't spend more on Ebay for the Director's Cut version.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
03-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Thanks. I thought they were the same, but had nothing to compare it to.

Wolfwood319
03-08-2002, 01:02 AM
Well, I got my DVD on Tuesday, and I must say, another top notch DVD to add to my collection.

With the exception of the "promised" Within the Woods, I can't think of one thing that I wanted that wasn't on the disc. 2 commentaries that are both amusing and insightful, 2 featurettes that give me a different story and perspective of the cult hit, "Fanalyis" which I saw on Bruce Campbell's book tour and really enjoyed. The case is too cool, and the little book inside is also really great.

Although my least favorite of the trilogy, it is a great DVD nonetheless.

And, BTW, that smell can really cause quite a buzz after a while, I reccomend leaving it near a window for a few hours.