PDA

View Full Version : Walmart TIE Bomber hitting stores now

bkusna
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
found 6 at a Wally world this morning.....:thumbsup:

sonofsokol
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Since they are the same price are these taking the slot on the shelves where Jabba has been? The Walmart that I frequent has 5 Jabbas and there doesn't seem to be any space for anything else in the plan-o-gram.

Also, how is it? Worth a purchase?

Reading the last Q&A sessions they talked about keeping a shelf space for a whole year and if I recall, that was the excuse for re-releasing the ARC-170 repaint before the CW Y-wing, to hold the space.

bkusna
11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Since they are the same price are these taking the slot on the shelves where Jabba has been? The Walmart that I frequent has 5 Jabbas and there doesn't seem to be any space for anything else in the plan-o-gram.

Also, how is it? Worth a purchase?

Reading the last Q&A sessions they talked about keeping a shelf space for a whole year and if I recall, that was the excuse for re-releasing the ARC-170 repaint before the CW Y-wing, to hold the space.
It is a large box...$38.96....They had 6 of them displayed right next to 4 jabba's...I'm at work all day so I haven't opened it yet....I hope the paint app is better on this model:thumbsup:

Snowtrooper
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I think I'm gonna pass on this one, even though it has the revamped cockpit. I already have 3 from previous releases and I don't feel like I need another............................unless it has a really cool gimmick.:thumbsup:

bkusna
11-05-2010, 06:45 PM
straight re-pack pretty much.....added missle with 6 bombs now that deploy with a twisting mechanism from the back of the chamber....the top button now fires the missile....new upgraded ejecting cockpit....side by side it looks identical...oh well, still cool....the bombs are clear with a blue inner component....

morpheus282
11-05-2010, 11:01 PM
No luck at my Walmart. How's the color compare with the other releases? Is closer to the blue of the 2002 Walmart release or the grey 2007 Target release?

bkusna
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM
No luck at my Walmart. How's the color compare with the other releases? Is closer to the blue of the 2002 Walmart release or the grey 2007 Target release?

more blue...I wish it was grey though :cry:

bigbarada
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, my Walmart never had any shelf space dedicated to Jabba (the lone the Jabba set that I found in the clearance section is the only one I've ever seen at this Walmart), so I don't know where they would put the TIE Bombers unless they get an endcap like last year's AT-STs.

Anyways, I don't own a TIE Bomber anymore, so as long as this release is "clean" with no weathering painted onto it, then I think it will be worth a purchase.

EDIT: Actually I just realized that they never fixed the undersized wings from the POTJ release. It's still just using the wings from Darth Vader's TIE Fighter. That's puts a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm for this, plus I am seeing some weathering paint on the loose photos that people have posted - which further hurts my interest in this toy. I might wait for this one to hit the post-Christmas clearance before buying it. If I miss out, then I'll just wait until Hasbro rereleases it with the correct wings.

bkusna
11-07-2010, 12:05 AM
There's definitely some weathering on this NEW one.....It's a lot more blue than grey in color.....

bkusna
11-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Why didn't this $40 ship include a FREAKIN PILOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

morpheus282
11-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Finally found the TIE bomber. Instead of being anywhere near the toy aisle, it was hiding in lawn and garden. Outside in the area normally dedicated to plants as well. Haven't done more than open the box so far, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about the color of the ship.

bigbarada
11-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Finally found the TIE bomber. Instead of being anywhere near the toy aisle, it was hiding in lawn and garden. Outside in the area normally dedicated to plants as well. Haven't done more than open the box so far, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about the color of the ship.

I saw several of these show up on a pallet a couple of weeks ago, but they were never put in the toy aisle and I could never find them in the warehouse. I never thought to look in lawn and garden of all places... how silly of me. :stupid:

morpheus282
11-26-2010, 10:21 PM
It never occured to me to look there either. If I hadn't been waiting for a bicycle this morning I would have completely missed it.

DarkArtist
11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
spotted one of these over the weekend and passed. while the ejection seat is a nice touch I'm good with the one I have. the Bomber doesn't play a huge role in the movies except for the brief minute or so in ESB.

I would rather see Hasbro perhaps tackle some of the EU TIE's like the TIE Hunter, TIE Advanced, TIE-D Robotic and TIE Defender... that would be awesome

bigbarada
11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
spotted one of these over the weekend and passed. while the ejection seat is a nice touch I'm good with the one I have. the Bomber doesn't play a huge role in the movies except for the brief minute or so in ESB.

I would rather see Hasbro perhaps tackle some of the EU TIE's like the TIE Hunter, TIE Advanced, TIE-D Robotic and TIE Defender... that would be awesome

Isn't the TIE Advanced also known as Darth Vader's TIE Fighter? How would that be an EU TIE? Anyways, I would like to see that one completely rebuilt from the ground up and a TIE Defender would be cool (although very, very unlikely). I highly doubt any of the other EU TIE designs would ever see the light of day in the 3.75" scale.

mtriv73
11-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Isn't the TIE Advanced also known as Darth Vader's TIE Fighter? How would that be an EU TIE? Anyways, I would like to see that one completely rebuilt from the ground up and a TIE Defender would be cool (although very, very unlikely). I highly doubt any of the other EU TIE designs would ever see the light of day in the 3.75" scale.

There's a different TIE advanced in the TIE fighter game that came out in the mid '90's. It looks completely different then Vaders TIE advanced X1. I would pay just about any amount of money for a correctly scaled TIE Defender. It's been my favorite TIE model since I started playing that game years ago. I still think the success of the republic tank, which is completely EU and is now enjoying a second release in a very ugly blue paint scheme, shows that some EU vehicles (especially aggressive ones) will be bought by kids and collectors alike.

Back to the topic, got the TIE bomber sunday in the toy section, opened it today at lunch and like it. For $38 it should have come with a pilot and ground crewman though.

El Chuxter
11-30-2010, 02:51 PM
I stopped by a Wal-Mart earlier that had a gaping hole in the wall near the garden center. I asked the police who'd cordoned off the area if anyone was hurt, and it the store would be reopening soon, since I still need the entire ROTJ wave. Luckily, no one was hurt too badly. I asked what had happened, and he said a TIE Bomber hit the store. Ouch.

RRRRRRRRRRIMSHOT!!!

mtriv73
11-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I stopped by a Wal-Mart earlier that had a gaping hole in the wall near the garden center. I asked the police who'd cordoned off the area if anyone was hurt, and it the store would be reopening soon, since I still need the entire ROTJ wave. Luckily, no one was hurt too badly. I asked what had happened, and he said a TIE Bomber hit the store. Ouch.

RRRRRRRRRRIMSHOT!!!

Ironically, they were aiming for the autocenter but their aim was too damn high.

When you change your sigline half my posts over the last month are going to make even less sense than they do now.

DarkJedi5
11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
There's a different TIE advanced in the TIE fighter game that came out in the mid '90's. It looks completely different then Vaders TIE advanced X1. I would pay just about any amount of money for a correctly scaled TIE Defender. It's been my favorite TIE model since I started playing that game years ago. I still think the success of the republic tank, which is completely EU and is now enjoying a second release in a very ugly blue paint scheme, shows that some EU vehicles (especially aggressive ones) will be bought by kids and collectors alike.

The problem with the TIE Defender though is that it would not fit in the $25 vehicle range. It would require a ton of new tooling and be too large for the assortment which means it needs to be a store exclusive so now we're talking like $40-$50 easy and that's way above most kids' pay-grade. Sure the Clone Tank is fun but it's also a lot cheaper than the TIE/D would be.

morpheus282
11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
What we need is a new Vader's TIE with the new cockpit, new sculpt, etc.