PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Shuttle wings.......

bkusna
11-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know how to repair the wing mechanism on the 2006-2008 imperial shuttle???? I got one for 20 bucks today ,but one wing seems to be off track from some child playing with this like a toy...gosh....:D

JediTricks
11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
They've never been fully in sync, it's designed slightly wrong, the drive system is symmetrical in a way it shouldn't be, I took mine apart when I got it and it is how it is. If yours is more than 1 segment off though, just start unscrewing, and pay attention to how everything goes together - it's hard as hell to get screwed together without stuff sliding out.

bkusna
11-10-2010, 07:27 PM
They've never been fully in sync, it's designed slightly wrong, the drive system is symmetrical in a way it shouldn't be, I took mine apart when I got it and it is how it is. If yours is more than 1 segment off though, just start unscrewing, and pay attention to how everything goes together - it's hard as hell to get screwed together without stuff sliding out.

I was afraid of that...I flipped that bad boy upside down and noticed all those tiny, tiny screws in deep sockets and thought maybe, just maybe I could just keep cranking it until the wings snapped back in place......thanks for the tip:thumbsup:

LusiferSam
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
The design is the same as the vintage Kenner shuttle. The right wing on my likes to sit farther away and left one closer in. I've tried a couple of times to 'fix' this and have never had any success. If you're wings are really off the Kenner instruction say to put them in the up position and firmly push the wing that's off back into place. There some be some 'gear grinding' and a loud crack, but no real harm.

bkusna
11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
The design is the same as the vintage Kenner shuttle. The right wing on my likes to sit farther away and left one closer in. I've tried a couple of times to 'fix' this and have never had any success. If you're wings are really off the Kenner instruction say to put them in the up position and firmly push the wing that's off back into place. There some be some 'gear grinding' and a loud crack, but no real harm.
thanks, man....My problem is identical to your description....I'm going to go home to night and crank away at that wing!!!!!

http://www.rebelscum.com/TSC/TSCshuttlefr.jpg

Mad Slanted Powers
11-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I recall JT and someone else discussing this when the shuttle was new. It is in this thread - http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=33517

bkusna
11-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I recall JT and someone else discussing this when the shuttle was new. It is in this thread - http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=33517

Thanks man, does anyone know how many different versions were made???? I got this one today and the canopy is clear but there is some weathering on it....

Just read that entire thread and it was the most helpful thing I have ever read....Thank you so much!!!!

Neuroleptic
11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Yes. There are two versions.

One is the 1984 Imperial Shuttle from the vintage line. It's solid light grey with dark grey plastic for the landing gear, ramp, and handle, no weathering, with a clear window, and if memory serves, it has electronic sounds.

The other is the Saga (2002) and Saga Legends (2006) are both the same shuttle. The later version comes with Darth Vader and a Royal Guard. These are essentualy the same vehicle as the 1984 version, with slightly better detail to the stickers, no electronics, and weathering.

There may be some variation in the weathering between the two later versions, but I don't see it from the photographs so I'd bet money there's no difference or so slight of one that it's not easy to tell just by looking which of the 21st centruy versions is which unless you have them in the boxes.

I have the 2006 version of the shuttle, and it's my favorite vehicle I own. I think it's the coolest design for a ship from any of the Star Wars movies.

bkusna
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks Neuro for the intel....after inspecting my new ship, it appears to be the 2006 version with weathering and a tinted canopy...I thought it looked clear at the store, but when I got home it was definitely tinted...haven't been brave enough to dismantle it to fix the wing yet :bandit: maybe I'll just leave the bad wing and name the ship NEMO....

JediTricks
11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks man, does anyone know how many different versions were made???? I got this one today and the canopy is clear but there is some weathering on it....

Just read that entire thread and it was the most helpful thing I have ever read....Thank you so much!!!!I was surprised to read my comments from it and find that it wasn't as hard to put back together as I had remembered.

JON9000
11-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I took mine apart and reassembled it leaving the screws on the side that doesn't want to sit right a little looser. When the wing is up, it now sits correctly, symmetrical to the wing on the other side.

Hope this helps.

bkusna
11-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I took mine apart and reassembled it leaving the screws on the side that doesn't want to sit right a little looser. When the wing is up, it now sits correctly, symmetrical to the wing on the other side.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip!!!!:thumbsup: I just got lazy and kept this one with it's wings down..I have another 2006 one displayed with it's wings up in a diorama with the Emperor's landing...... thanks again for all the help!!!!

JediTricks
11-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Hope this helps.
Might that cause excess torque on the gearing system, or wear on the hinge areas, leading to breakage?

Rogue II
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Might that cause excess torque on the gearing system, or wear on the hinge areas, leading to breakage?

Wearing leads to breakage. Breakage leads to anger. Anger leads to suffering!

Maybe I'll get around to trying to fix my Shuttle this weekend.

JON9000
11-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't think it does. It is hard to explain the effect. I can set the wing to sit askew or properly by hand when the screws are loosened. As the wings only have two real positions that they sit in, fully down or up, I don't think wear is an issue, but the wings on my shuttle have been down maybe two minutes out of however many years I have had the thing.