PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Anybody else catch this last night at midnight? We really, really enjoyed it. If you've read the book, you'll know there's quite a bit of discussion about the Hallows, Horocruxes, all while the three of them are trying to survive on their own, but it has some great action scenes and the ...three of them really have hit their stride as actors. Great performances, especially from Rupert and Emma as they have more to chew on in this flick. Plus, there's a new element of danger and suspense as they aren't at Hogwarts and have to stick it out in the real world, so that's a great new element. All in all, we loved it!

jonthejedi
11-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Have to totally agree...the acting was top notch. It was great to see almost a who's who's from the last 6 films. My only complaint...the wait for part 2. Part 1 was a pure set-up from start to finish.

InsaneJediGirl
11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
The midnight showing was great, it was nice to be at a showing with fans and not whiny little kids.

The movie was great. The "Three Brothers" animation was dark but beautiful at the same time. I was in awe of that entire sequence, as I had been wondering on how they were going to pull that off.

My only major complaint was the entire scene missing with Harry and Lupin arguing over Remus wanting to leave his pregnant wife to go gallivanting with Harry.I kind of felt that was key to the book, especially in the last half.

Neuroleptic
11-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I read books one two three four and half of five, and have seen all of the movies including the most recent as of tonight.

Both the books and movies went down hill for me after three. I read book four becaouse I liked the series, and when I didnt like book four, I started reading book five but just didn't like it. And when movies 4, 5, 6, and 7 came out, I mostly took my wife to see them because she really wanted to. So, tonight, as with the last three movies, we went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

HOLLY MONKEYS!

This movie freaking ROCKS! Now I feel like I have to go back and re-read the books, even the ones I didnt like so I can read the last book. I was seriously floored. Acting, directing, special effects, writting, story, were all insanely well done and seriously blew my socks off.

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on the more recent movies, you really are doing yourself a diservice if you don't go see this film.

jonthejedi
11-22-2010, 04:47 AM
I'll tell you Insane Jedi Girl...after Movie III, I've felt that Lupin(who was & remains my fav. Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher) has been seriously underused. He seems to just be given a role where all he has to do is stand & look worried. I wanted to see more play between him & Tonks. I haven't read any of the books...but that scene sounds incredible. David Thewlis brought up to life so well in Prizoner of Azkaban, and he emerged as more than a mentor to Harry to me...as well as being such a conflicted character because of his affliction...which they haven't delt with at all in subsequent movies.

InsaneJediGirl
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
I'll tell you Insane Jedi Girl...after Movie III, I've felt that Lupin(who was & remains my fav. Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher) has been seriously underused. He seems to just be given a role where all he has to do is stand & look worried. I wanted to see more play between him & Tonks. I haven't read any of the books...but that scene sounds incredible. David Thewlis brought up to life so well in Prizoner of Azkaban, and he emerged as more than a mentor to Harry to me...as well as being such a conflicted character because of his affliction...which they haven't delt with at all in subsequent movies.

The movies don't dive into Lupin as much as the books(even then, of course, he's not the main focus) but I at least thought they would add some character development for him in the movies. I agree they needed to have more on his conflicted character, especially since he does talk about that in the Deathly Hallows book.

I admit though, I do have a bias. Besides Bellatrix, Lupin is my favorite character.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm a fan of the series, and this one was really good, but nothing really happened aside from a few people dying. Of course, by its nature, it's a lot of setup for the final film, but so was HBP and I found that film much more enjoyable. I've read all the books, but haven't read this one since its release in 2007, but I don't necessarily think having experienced one medium is imperative to enjoy the other. (For the record, movies 3, 5, and 6 have been my favorites so far.)

So it was very well-executed exposition, but it was still exposition.

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
nothing really happened aside from a few people dying.

SPOILERS!!!!

:mad: Jerk. :mad:

:p

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2010, 09:55 PM
No, "spoilers" is: Harry dies, after his father throws Voldemort down a reactor shaft and the lightning damages his life support suit, when Hermione burns Harry on a funeral pyre next to Warwick Davis in his Willow costume. ;)

I saw the actual film today. I didn't remember enough from the book to be re-surprised (??) and recalled enough to not get lost. I will have to be patient and await the 8th film next year.

- outdoor scenery (I just hope SOME of those weren't CGI locations)
- intermixing with Muggle world (especially entering the Ministry of Magic building)
- pace
- opening sequence
- any scene with Snape

2-1B
12-05-2010, 09:34 PM
I woke from my nap in time to hear sniffles and crying from the high school girls after that little guy died.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I was one of the few people in America to see Part 2, apaprently; sad to read that it bombed at the box office. :greedy: ;) It followed the book as I remembered it; I think the scenes where characters had died was done better than Rowling's written descriptions. Only issue was the time (read: years passed) mentioned at the end; not the same as the book.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Saw it a second time today; just as good as the first, almost cried in the same parts as I almost cried last week.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Only issue was the time (read: years passed) mentioned at the end; not the same as the book.
Huh? Both are "19 years later." I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Huh? Both are "19 years later." I'm not sure what you're talking about.I thought it was 11 (to correspond with the age to enter wizarding school). Apparently I was under a confundus spell. :(