PDA

View Full Version : Young Justice

El Chuxter
11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Premieres next Friday. Here's a clip (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29507), though it doesn't reveal much. Looks pretty good, though I don't expect it to entirely fill the void Batman: The Brave and the Bold will leave.

I think it's a bit funny that it's essentially the original Teen Titans team, with the "Young Justice" moniker from the 1990s. And that more and more shows with Dick Grayson have him in Tim's outfit.

Maradona
11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
I originally thought that Brave and Bold would not fill the JLU void and, lo and behold, it grew into a wonderful show that I'm sad to see go. All I've seen and read about Young Justice has me excited. In one interview, the producers mention that there will over 100 recognizable DCU characters within the first few episodes. I'll truly miss Brave and Bold, but will give YJ my viewership.

Beast
11-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, it really sucks that Brave and the Bold is over.
It was great seeing all those seldom used heroes and villains getting some love.
Hell, they did an entire arc around Gentleman Ghost. Who is an awesome baddy.

This is looking decent so far. But I wouldn't say it's really nothing more than the original Teen Titans with the Young Justice name. Yeah, it has some of the original members. In Robin, Kid Flash, and Speedy. But there's the new Brightest Day Aqualad, Blue Beetle III, Superboy, Artemis, and Ms. Martian, etc. So it's a nice mix of old and new.

Qui-Long Gone
11-25-2010, 04:59 PM
This will be to Brave and the Bold what Batman Beyond was to Batman, an ok replacement to an unnecessarily canceled show.

Beast
11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, the premiere was pretty good. I kinda miss the more lighthearted tone of B:B&TB.

It does look like it has some serious potential though. Shame we gotta wait til January for the series proper to start. But otherwise, it was a decent start to what will hopefully be a long lived series.

Maradona
11-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I enjoyed the premiere. I'm glad the entire DCU seems to be at the disposal of the show's creative team. As I watched, I thought to myself "Wow. This has got to be the best time for action/adventure cartoons since the 80s. We've got new SW, GI Joe, Transformers, Avengers, B:BatB still has a season to go, and Symbionic Titan, Generator Rex, and Ben 10 are worthy shows. On the horizon are the Green Lantern show, the new Thundercats, more episodes of both the Spiderman and Iron Man animated shows. What a great time to have TV!

El Chuxter
11-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Taped it. The Mrs was watching something else at 7, and I won't get to see it until tomorrow, since we're watching GIJoe: Renegades and Transformers: Prime right now, and I don't want Chux Jr to get three straight hours of TV, even awesome TV.

figrin bran
11-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I watched the first episode and have to say that it surpassed my expectations.

I don't care much for Aqualad in Brightest Day but he shows quite a bit of potential on this show.

El Chuxter
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
The premiere aired today.

And it had no description on the cable guide and was the first half of the movie from last month.

How lame.

Beast
01-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah, the first new episode isn't for 2 weeks. Which sucks.

They should have showed the premiere movie first followed by the new episode.

Maradona
02-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Two more episodes in and I can see this show having considerable legs.

figrin bran
02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Two more episodes in and I can see this show having considerable legs.

Then again it's on Cartoon Network which always kills their series off too quickly. ;)

El Chuxter
02-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm just still psyched that they cast Danny Frickin' Trejo as Bane! And he spoke Spanish with subtitles! Who expected that?

Maradona
02-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm just still psyched that they cast Danny Frickin' Trejo as Bane! And he spoke Spanish with subtitles! Who expected that?

And is it the English teacher in me or do they seem to highlight a "vocabulary word" in every episode. This episode's was DISCONCERTED. The pilot's was UNDERWHELMED and its variations.

Maradona
02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Today's episode was excellent. I love this show. This week's word: aster.

El Chuxter
02-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but it'll be taping soon. (Probably won't see it until tomorrow, since the in-laws are visiting and tend to stay late.) Chux Jr ought to love it; I understand Black Canary appears today, and that's her favoritest superhero ever.

El Chuxter
02-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Aster, indeed! This show is bloody amazing. Between Young Justice, Renegades, and Boardwalk Empire, along with reruns of the old Adam West Batman (and both Louie the Lilac episodes airing this week!), this is the best time for TV in years.

Interesting twist on Arrowette Artemis. I wonder how this is going to play out.

JediTricks
02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
This show is pretty good, but I do have to call out that they're already stuck in a formula of Superboy's inability to cope with his feelings screwing things up and then magically he learns the lesson of the episode and our heroes win. EVERY SINGLE EPISODE SO FAR, if I remember correctly. :p

El Chuxter
02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
All three? :D

LTBasker
02-06-2011, 12:38 AM
It's an okay series, nothing all that noteworthy so far. I'm not really watching it with any expectations so that's fine for the most part, but they should probably get around to introducing the characters properly. It's four episodes in (counting the pilot as two separate episodes since this point isn't plot-based) and it's going too much on the assumption that you're familiar with Aqualad, Kid Flash, Speedy and Robin.... but we don't. At least not these versions. The only sides we see of them is when they're applying to the episodes' already tired formula. The biggest problem with that is they're lacking depth because of this, and really just fail to be interesting. We know Aqualad is going to be stoic and wise, Robin's going to be sarcastic and constantly spout whatever is on his word of the day calendar, Kid Flash is going to be flirty, and Connor's going to be broody with daddy issues.

Seriously, I'm beginning to expect him to inevitably be caught with a male gigolo wearing a Superman costume while Linkin Park blares in the background.

Hello, Megan! is the only one that is really getting developed, but it's Starfire from Teen Titans with better grammar so we've already seen this.

Quick pros/cons list:
Cons:
- Hello, Megan!'s ship seems a bit too uber for a junior team with its cloaking tech (very minor nitpick.)
- Hello, Megan! (fortunately that was missing in the recent episode.)
- Defeating Amazo (granted, it was great that they finally shut him up [someone get Snape to teach him how to cast his spells silently] but it didn't seem right that this poorly meshed group was able to defeat him considering how much of an overdone uber threat he's supposed to be to the League.)
- Painfully obvious toy promotions ("battle modes" and stealth suits that are pointless immediately after being introduced - though I guess Aqualad looked more intimidating in a gray wifebeater rather than red?)
- Unseen villains (mysterious people controlling things from behind the scenes is a concept that never works out too well, unless it's a parody ala Venture Bros.)
- Horrible versions of the veteran heroes (aside from Red Tornado, who lacks personality anyway so doesn't really count, all of the veteran heroes act far too much like grouchy old people stereotype rather than actual human beings. I don't expect them to pat the junior heroes on the back with gratuitous praise, but how about showing concern for their development? ...or is that waiting for them to actually be developed?)
- Haphazard and stilted dialogue (I don't really think these people know how to write teenagers past cliche sitcom archetypes, and the "Leaguers" aren't much better.)

Pros:
- Great animation style
- It's a DC show to watch
- Decent voice acting (aside from Robin's forced overuse of word of the day)
- The gradual addition of heroes to the team
- Batman and Superman look incredibly great in this style
- The CGI isn't... horrible (it's nothing great, and I'd prefer things like vehicles and whatnot to actually be drawn than polygonned, but it integrates fairly well to the animation. Brave and the Bold suffers from garish CGI that stays present like a sore thumb.)
- Bane was awesome!

So, yeah, overall it's nothing positively noteworthy as of yet and I wouldn't really be disappointed if it doesn't survive past this season, but I'll continue watching it. There are enough entertaining aspects to keep me coming back and even the worst cons are fairly minor since, as I said, I have no expectations. I would probably get a better connection to the show if the characters start getting personalities rather than a single constant attitude.

Maradona
02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
This week's word: Outfiltrate. Lots of fun this week. Again. Artemis seems to be a fun addition and Don't-Call-Me-Speedy is a developing well.

El Chuxter
02-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Only thing I'm not crazy about is the whole "Artemis may be a bad guy" angle. It seems a bit cliche.

RooJay
02-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Loving this show so far! the only thing I'm not too keen on is how...un-fast Kid Flash seems. Usually, it just looks like he's running at normal human speed and just leaving a motion blur effect behind him. Hell, he's not even fast enough to dodge a dodgeball! I can do that and I don't even have superhuman speed!

JediTricks
02-12-2011, 02:19 PM
All three? :DFour, and last night makes five now, punk. :p I couldn't believe it, felt like they were going to go a whole episode without Superboy pulling that crap, and then WHAMMO, there he goes!

Last night we got Girl Speedy, and she's got issues. Regular Speedy also made an incredibly stupid choice leaving the ultimate weapon, that was dumb, dumb, dumb, yet they let his selfishness slip past. And the rest of the episode felt a tad too Teen Titans for me, extra cartoony.

Anybody been watching Conan and seeing WB Animation replacing Superman art with The Flaming C, Conan's incredibly stupid superhero?

Maradona
09-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Today's episode was excellent. The show keeps getting better. There was a glimpse of Joker and Poison Ivy in one of the promos for the show. Lots to look forward to...

El Chuxter
09-16-2011, 11:29 PM
My frickin' DVR didn't record* this or Brave & The Bold. They'd better be on OnDemand soon, because Cartoon Network doesn't seem to rerun any of their new shows in a timely fashion except for Clone Wars. The older stuff, yeah, all the bloody time. The new stuff that people want to see, ha, good luck finding it again.

*--Happy, JT? I said "record" and not "tape."

RooJay
09-17-2011, 03:19 AM
A bunch of cool cameos in this episode! Wonde rif Wendy and Marvin will end up helping the team out with any regularity like they did with the Titans in the comics? The cheerleader with the afropuffs was clearly Bumblebee (Karen Beecher) but I have to wonder who the big guy in the Superman shirt was? I didn't catch whether or not they named him in this episode, but he strongly resembles a pre-Cyborg Vic Stone, though I'm thinking he could also have been, given Bumblee's cameo, Mal Duncan (Herald/Hornblower/Guardian/Vox.) Of course, noting his shirt, and the fact that the Young Justice universe exhibits quite a few differences from the comics universe, I'm not ready to rule out that he might be a young version of John Henry Irons. Also, good to see Mercy Graves back in action, and I thought it was very interesting they decided to make her an android (maybe a cyborg?) rather then the Amazon she'd always been implied to be.

RooJay
09-17-2011, 03:26 AM
Whoops! Scratch that - looks like wikipedia has the character confirmed (as much as anything on wikipedia can be) as Mal Duncan!

Maradona
09-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Does CN repeat the shows on Saturday morning? I recorded both, but erased B:BatB right after watching it. I still have YJ recorded and can make you a copy, Chux.

JediTricks
09-18-2011, 12:43 AM
*--Happy, JT? I said "record" and not "tape."Utterly delighted. (Damned internet not conveying my mock snobby-rich-person intonation!)

Sorry your DVR crapped out on you. That sucks that they're not airing it again. I don't understand why CN does that.

Marv & Wendy from the Super Friends do not a Young Justice episode make. This episode had everything... except Young Justice, by that I mean none of the characters did anything in the main storyline except a cheap ending. That said, it was an interesting episode, just a Red Arrow one. Conner and Megan's storyline was like a test to see how much the audience could roll their eyes.

El Chuxter
09-18-2011, 10:43 AM
That said, it was an interesting episode, just a Red Arrow one.
I must concur. (The ep showed up yesterday on OnDemand so I got to see it.) I guess we now know the official pronunciation of "R'as Al Ghul" is not /rahz ol gul/ like Christopher Nolan thinks it is. :D

Sportsmaster seems to have finally been made something other than a joke, and, uh, since when is Mercy a cyborg, or is this unique to YJ?

JediTricks
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I must concur. (The ep showed up yesterday on OnDemand so I got to see it.) I guess we now know the official pronunciation of "R'as Al Ghul" is not /rahz ol gul/ like Christopher Nolan thinks it is. :DIt's always been "raysh" until Nolan's film. That drove me nuts. They said the guy's name ALL THE TIME on B:TAS. Turns out though, the cartoon's Arabic was wrong, paste the Arabic spelling of his name into Google Translate and click the sound button on the bottom and it'll say "rahz":
رأس الغول (http://translate.google.com/#ar%7Cen%7C%D8%B1%D8%A3%D8%B3%20%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%BA %D9%88%D9%84%E2%80%8E%0A)‎

So apparently, Young Justice is carrying on with the B:TAS tradition rather than accuracy.

Sportsmaster seems to have finally been made something other than a joke, and, uh, since when is Mercy a cyborg, or is this unique to YJ?Yeah, WTF was up with Mercy being a cyborg? That was a big oddity. It looks through my 5 minutes of research as if that is something which has spawned from the comics, from 52 specifically (which I guess means that the New 52 has erased it).

El Chuxter
09-19-2011, 10:26 PM
I assumed B:TAS was correct, and Nolan changed it because neither movie R'as nor the League of Shadows are Arabic.

Maradona
09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Any theories on what "the light" is? I'm guessing it may be Darkseid related and that the cabal that has been in the shadows is some new incarnation of the Legion of Doom/Injustice League/Secret Society. The show is intriguing and I like how the show is contrasting this pending global problem from the point of view of what amounts to little more than children.

Maradona
10-07-2011, 10:12 PM
"Hey, wisdom of Solomon." Funny line. I like how the show runners have kept Billy Batson's age in the composition of his dialogue. And UNCLE MARVEL in Fawcett City was a thoughtful touch. I wonder and hope that Freddie and Mary appear in later episodes to round out the principal members of the Marvel Family.

Maradona
10-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I could not believe how many characters crept into this episode: Blue Devil, Plastic Man, and Guy Gardner were unexpected. Was that Icon from Milestone Comics, who was even more of a surprise? I couldn't tell who the female in violet light was, though. I slowed the frame down, yet still had trouble distinguishing her.

El Chuxter
10-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Gawd... Chux Jr is in bed, and I promised not to watch this without you. I hate you for teasing Guy Gardner and Icon.

Is Icon in the DCnU? They've been pretty schizophrenic with the Milestone characters (even on the Static Shock show, where he comments one episode about Clark Kent being Superman, then is actually in the DCAU a few episodes later).

Maradona
10-15-2011, 12:01 AM
My apologies. That was amateurish of me. I should have put in a spoiler warning and said that two Green Lanterns appear that aren't named Hal, along with a number of obscure characters, including at least one from a defunct comics imprint now under the banner of DC.

B:BatB also had a guest cameo from a 60s Hanna Barbera character.

RooJay
10-15-2011, 03:42 AM
The Milestone characters were folded into DCU continuity just before the reboot. Since Static and Hardware have managed to survive the reboot as characters within the DCU proper, it's a safe bet that the other characters likely have as well.
That cameo in Brave and the Bold made my week! I'm now going to be needing the Hanna Barbera heroes to join the DCU as well! Too cool!

El Chuxter
10-15-2011, 02:03 PM
That cameo in Brave and the Bold made my week! I'm now going to be needing the Hanna Barbera heroes to join the DCU as well! Too cool!
God, no. Jace will be raped to death by Zorak, Jann will be a stripper having a torrid affair with Black Widow, and Gleek will be (graphically) chopped into bits by Moltar before he's force-fed to a brainwashed Chad Ghostal, all scripted by Grant Morrison and Scott Lobdell, arguing, and drawn by Rob Liefeld.

My apologies. That was amateurish of me. I should have put in a spoiler warning and said that two Green Lanterns appear that aren't named Hal, along with a number of obscure characters, including at least one from a defunct comics imprint now under the banner of DC.
Wasn't complaining; it just made it tougher to wait. :)

Joker was quite cool in YJ. He reminded me of a more modern version of the Cesar Romero take on the character.

Maradona
10-16-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm thrilled that more and more of the DCU is appearing. B:BatB was the series that gave us more characters than any I can think of. Hopefully, Young Justice can continue and expand on the myriad possibilities. With the mystical element firmly embraced, could it just be a matter of time before John Constantine, Swamp Thing, or Sandman find their way into the series?

RooJay
10-17-2011, 11:23 AM
God, no. Jace will be raped to death by Zorak, Jann will be a stripper having a torrid affair with Black Widow, and Gleek will be (graphically) chopped into bits by Moltar before he's force-fed to a brainwashed Chad Ghostal, all scripted by Grant Morrison and Scott Lobdell, arguing, and drawn by Rob Liefeld.

Yipe! As a lifelong DC fan, I'm none too happy with the DC reboot myself, but I think you've been reading the wrong comics my friend! I'd hope that Lobdell is too busy ruining Superboy and the Teen Titans to bother with another book, and the less said about Liefeld the better. Starfire's been ridiculously and offensively handled, but I don't see a precedent for anything else you mention.

Maradona
11-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Wow. What an episode tonight's was.

JediTricks
11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Friday's episode was a disappointment IMO, as the whole time I just knew they were going to get out of it super-cheaply, and then to pull the stunt they did, I don't want to spoil it for those who didn't see it, but c'mon!

El Chuxter
11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
I just took in a marathon of the last three episodes and have to concur with JT on last week's. Actually, I think he understated it. It was just bad. From a few seconds into the episode, I knew it wasn't real. C'mon, even before the body count starting shooting up, they're not going to kill both GL's of Earth. (I've never seen Guy or Kyle, so I'm assuming there are only two active GL's.) Plus the kids not responding to the deaths of the heroes, particularly Batman, Flash, Green Arrow, and Martian Manhunter, and Red Tornado's unexplained return to active duty--it was too obvious from literally the first minute that this was a training exercise, a dream , or a "What If?" An entire episode that's a predictable deus ex machina to bring the characters to some insights into themselves in the following episode that could've been reached in other ways. I expect better from this show, and hope it returns to form next week.

Really, the only good thing from that whole fiasco was the extended screen time Dinah got this week. As a psychiatrist... huh?

Maradona
11-13-2011, 10:06 PM
I've thoroughly enjoyed the last two episodes. As soon as there is any death of a marketable icon, the viewer must know that it will be fake in some way. I think that a large part of the purpose of these episodes was to establish Dick Grayson. He was raised by a cold Batman and is drawn to become cold during the course of the exercise. His reaction during the therapy session when he tells Dinah that he doesn't want to become Batman will, I think, be pivotal in the (hopefully long) run of the show - maybe he'll become Nightwing if it lasts long enough.

And anytime the Forever People get animated can only be a good thing (this, sadly, being the only time I can think of). I can't wait to see more of the New Gods and Apokolips.

El Chuxter
11-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I think they could've done the same thing with Dick (and all the others) in some other fashion. It wouldn't hurt, this being a stand-alone continuity, to kill off a hero or two. They've killed a couple of villains, IIRC. It would really raise the stakes to off even a "minor" hero. They could've offed Hal or John.

Maradona
11-13-2011, 11:46 PM
I get the suspicion that Zatarra will eventually get killed. That might lead Zatanna into the team. I think the old Teen Titans "Judas Contract" story line is sort of getting done through Artemis.

There was a scene in last Friday's where Red Arrow and Zatanna are shown with a female character I think was Catwoman. In that scene, two costumed figures teleport in, but I couldn't make out who they were. Any idea who they were?

El Chuxter
11-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I tried to verify by rewinding* twice. Couldn't tell. I didn't think the woman was Catwoman, but she's changed her costume so many times, it's no longer the purple bodysuit I recall and it probably is that militaristic outfit that woman had. I did notice the reporter (Cat Grant?) mentioned Icon having been killed, so further evidence of the Milestone characters existing here.

Zatanna seems like she'd be a nice fit. Even though the science of "Humanity" was some of the wonkiest I've ever seen in a TV show (let's defuse a freakin' supervolcano by venting off a few hundred cubic meters of smoke!!), I quite enjoyed her. And I'm not a fan of Zatanna. (Don't dislike her at all, but she was never one of my faves.)

I'm not sure Artemis is going to be a full-on Judas Contract update. Too many folks are clearly wise to her being something other than she claims, and her loyalty to the team seems genuine. Of course, I was never a big Teen Titans reader, and my memories of what I did read are a bit fuzzy (aside from "A Lonely Place of Dying," which is basically a Batman/Dick/Tim story with a few Titans appearances).

My issues with the episode are entirely that it was way too transparent. Supes, Bats, Marvel, J'onn, Captain Atom, and two GL's gone before the first minute of the episode is completed, killed by an alien race that is so immensely powerful that it should be well-known, with no reaction from the kids? Way too bloody obvious. If there'd been more suspense to it, or even if it wasn't telegraphed so incredibly early, it might not have felt like a waste of a half-hour. Or maybe if there'd been some mystery to it, like the B:TAS episodes "Perchance to Dream" or "Over the Edge," where it's immediately obvious that the story "doesn't count," but it's so shocking and unexpected that you can't help but want to know what's going on.

*--Is that word acceptable, JT? :D

Maradona
04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
The new season is off to an intriguing start and season one ended well - I particularly liked Vandal Savage's justification for his villainy. Too bad the toyline died (6" specifically), since there look to be even more characters to choose from now.

RooJay
05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Huh...I thought I'd heard that right - Season One ended the week before Season Two started. How Awesome is that?!
Yeah, the latest episode was wicked cool! I was totally geeking out over all the new characters and fan service! Wonder Girl, Batgirl, Nightwing, Tim Drake, Bumble Bee and Mal, Adam Strange, Lobo, Kryloteans (even in the DCU, they're so obscure that I can't remember if I'm spelling that correctly!) Lagoon Boy, Black Lightning, Beast Boy! BEST.SHOW.EVER!

JediTricks
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
It helps that season 1 had a sizable break in the middle.

I had a hard time getting into season 2's premiere only because it kept feeling like the writers were going to pull the switcheroo on us, have someone go back in time and erase all these changes, or it's a simulation, something like that. But it seemed like they were going to stick with it, and it got compelling. Nightwing and Tim Drake Robin together was weird though, especially with Nightwing running Dick Grayson's age-14 voice still.

Maradona
05-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Adam Strange recited Lewis Carroll. As an English major and teacher, seeing that was the best Saturday morning cartoon moment I can remember. I almost jumped off my elliptical in joy. The episode was ok, but that segment was beyond "whelm[ing]."

JediTricks
06-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Young Justice season 2 has been really good, I didn't think they'd make the 5-year-jump work but they pretty much have kept all the story elements moving and characters developing. I'm quite grateful for them taking a break just after the big reveal of the most recent ep 2 weeks ago, that was a good note to pause on.

Maradona
06-18-2012, 07:41 PM
I really like where this show is going. Hopefully, YJ lasts beyond this season. The DCU needs a strong show. Green Lantern is likely cancelled and that Beware the Batman show doesn't looked geared to please my tastes.

JediTricks
06-18-2012, 09:53 PM
I've only caught a few moments of GL on the DVR for Young Justice, but not only does it not have DC Nation Shorts to help it, it looks really bad in animation and every time the ending looks the same, boring and repetitive (to be fair, GL in general is a tough character to carry his own stories no matter the medium).

I know Mattel is stinging from the toy line's failure, but that's the toy line at fault, not the show's fault, so I think CN could do well to invest into this show for at least another season.