PDA

View Full Version : Peasant

Jek Porky 2002
03-03-2002, 11:12 AM
Don't you think that for a peasant Anakin Skywalker looks very smart, does he wear this disguise on tatooine or Naboo?

Rollo Tomassi
03-03-2002, 11:17 AM
Are you saying peasants are generally "not smart"?:( :mad:

Jek Porky 2002
03-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Well yes!

Jek Porky 2002
03-03-2002, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, have you seen those pictures of him in the latest Star Wars magazine, he looks like peter pan.

Jargo
03-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Well that's because he can FLYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! :crazed:

Actually, hayden does have rather a pointy face and his eyes and the crap make up they slapped on him make him look a bit girly to me.

But Jek is mentioning something that I was thinking a while back. Anakin and padme are a little too smart to be peasants. Peasants are what the people of Tatooine look like - rough shod and dirty with poverty. Shmi and Anakin are peasants in TPM and they look like it too. In AOTC everything looks very smart and tidy... too tidy to be believable really. Even the lower levels of Coruscant looks really neat and tidy. not a rank steaming sewer of a place like we've always been lead to believe. I guess it shows what points of reference Lucas has become used to if he thinks peasants dress like the middle classes. It means he has no idea what poor people live like. I know it's a made up story and he can attach whatever levels of social scale to it all that he wants to but it makes the whole thing look a bit daft if the peasants aren't very peasant looking. :crazed:

Lord Tenebrous
03-03-2002, 12:46 PM
I do believe that the peasant disguise is for Naboo, to blend in with the farmers and traders that live in the swamp-plains of the villages. A decoy, if you will, so that any threat to Padme initially underestimates the simple-looking man, the man with a lightsaber.

Lord Tenebrous
03-03-2002, 12:55 PM
Here's Padme in her peasanty sundress on Naboo. More elegant than her TPM Tatooine disguise...mmm...must stop grinning. :D Photo from People Magazine.

Hmmmm...I want this as a figure, but it would only have like, two points of articulation. :(

Jargo
03-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Now, that's not exactly breadline peasant fashion is it? These Naboo 'peasants' are mighty well off to be able to afford to dress in this manner.

Okay just looked up 'peasant' in the Oxford English reference dictionary.

Peasant /n. pron. - 'PEZ-nt'.
1. A worker on the land, a farm labourer or small farmer, esp. a member of an agricultural class dependent on subsistence farming.
2. (derogatory). a boor, a lout; a person of low social status.

These pics of Padme and Anakin make them look artisan rather than peasant. I can't imagine Anakin working the land with his lily white skin and girly hands. These aint the togs of peasants they're wearing, no matter which way you look at it.

Another silly comment from the folks at LFL that is totally wrong. Like saying that the Jedi starfighter was going to grow up to be a star destroyer. Honestly! they make the frelling movies and they haven't got a clue what any of it is all about!!!!! :rolleyes:

LTBasker
03-03-2002, 03:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that the HUGE republic ship that more resembles the Star Destroyer look will be the base of Star Destroyer designs, not the Starfighters which are most likely based on those. :D

Remeber Qui in his farmer disguise? That's more correct for a peasent, he was dirty, poor, etc.

Jek Porky 2002
03-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Lord Tenebous when you say people magazine do you mean The People Magazine as in British Sunday Newspaper supliment?

Lord Tenebrous
03-03-2002, 05:09 PM
No, I mean People (http://people.aol.com/people/index.html) as in the somewhat trashy American entertainment magazine.

There's no smiley to represent my half-pout disappointed expression.

JEDIpartner
03-03-2002, 06:57 PM
You know... if THAT'S what being a peasant is like... SIGN ME UP!!! I dunno... we'll have to see what the finished product looks like. Maybe we'll find a reason for why the costume designs are such or maybe we just won't care.

Co Jo-Da
03-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
You know... if THAT'S what being a peasant is like... SIGN ME UP!!!

HERE HERE, ME TO ! ! ! ! ! !

bigbarada
03-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Don't you think that for a peasant Anakin Skywalker looks very smart, does he wear this disguise on tatooine or Naboo?

While generally uneducated, peasants are not necessarily stupid. If it came to common sense and street knowledge any dumb peasant would outsmart some candy-a&& rich college kid anyday.

Jargo
03-05-2002, 06:51 PM
true - true. it's not neccesarily the smarts he's talking about though is it BB? i suppose they could be showing their naivety to demonstrate how out of touch representatives of 'the people' usually are. Like the president or UK Prime Minister getting 'down with the homies' and thinking that wearing a baseball cap and not wearing the jacket with the suit is going to make them somehow hip with the poor kids on the street. Hmmmm, irony. Maybe. I just think they looked at costume designs and pinned the tail on the donkey so to speak. Eeny meeny miney mo....... THAT ONE! It is after all about making the stars look appealing.... Maybe LFL isn't hollywood but they certainly display hollywood qualities at times.

I like Anakin's waistcoat though. nice combination that, the gold and deep brown. earthy. I'd wear that myself....... :crazed:

2-1B
03-09-2002, 08:15 PM
If they are so concerned with blending in, did they consider that Anakin's padawan braid might reveal his true status?

Is that a scarf around Anakin's neck (in the pic posted by Tenebrous) ? I'm not well versed in fashion, but that's what it looks like to me.

Jargo
03-09-2002, 08:49 PM
By jove! I think it's a spiffy cravat! Waistcoat and cravat are very sherlock Holmes era, very Edwardian Art Nouveau influenced. I guess that Padme's half dish head gear does have the art nouveau stamp of design on it. Still doesn't alter the fact that they don't look poor enough to be peasants. Maybe 'tourist' would have been a better word. Tourists wearing inapproprite clothing for the locale. If they turn up on Tatooine in nice togs they're gonna get beaten up for their lunch money fairly quickly I think. Skipping back to the old slave town in gold brocaid waistcoats isn't likely to win them any friends other than those eager to see them parted from their lives and their money.

You'd think that if Anakin is supposed to be this super smart kid attuned to the force he'd sense that wearing fine clothes would bring trouble. Even if he's able to defend himself he's still going to incur the the hassle factor from vagrants and beggars. There's some really strange stuff going on in this movie.

Oh, and it was LFL who said the starfighter was the basis for the star destroyer not me. Lucas stated it several times in a documentary and in interviews. Then the cross section book cover shows up which states that the republic cruiser is going to be the starting point of star destroyers. Lucas doesn't even know what's in his movie. Okay before you all junp on me again that's not an attack just a comment. He's got so much going on he doesn't seem in his right mind and seems a little - confused......

I once asked the jedi council at SW.com if George felt that he'd ever over egged the pudding as far as effects go with particular reference to TPM. Had he shoved too many effects in a scene and did he regret any choices he'd made.

They never answered me the b'stards! :crazed: Too close to the truth I reckon. :happy:

2-1B
03-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Tourists! I was thinking the same thing, about how people sometimes travel and attempt to dress like the locals, only to stand out as tourists.

Re: Jedi Starfighter - I recall that from LFL as well, didn't they use the tagline of "Wedgie them out" ? ? ? When I first learned of it, I thought they were talking about a large transport of some type . . . not as large as a Star Destroyer but certainly larger than a single manned ship that can't even support a whole astro droid :crazed: