PDA

View Full Version : Target Vintage Collection 9-Pack Release Date Announced

borisfan84
11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Daryl DePriest has announced that the official release date for the much anticipated Vintage Collection 9-pack will be November 28, 2010. It has been said that this pack will be a bit more limited than the usual exclusives out there. Also, Hasbro has already made plans to continue this set style and that there will be another 9-pack of figures coming in the spring.

bkusna
11-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I wish they would release a 9-pack of hoth rebel soldiers....:love:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Or 9 clone youths. Or 9 Vaders (in different poses! ). ;) Price will be the reason I will likley pass on this'n.

sith_killer_99
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Price will be the reason I will likley pass on this'n.

Hmmm, what is the MSRP on this thing?

BlueSnags
11-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Anyone have a DCPI? I'm excited for this.

-Snags

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I only found one source, that listed it as $49.99. Nothing found on SW.com, or Hasbro's or Target's sites.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm planning on passing on this, as I'm primarily an opener. If it looks awesome enough, then I'll get it, though I was never a huge fan of this three-pack line from the vintage days anyway.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2010, 05:18 PM
The weekly ad had it at $49.99. $LOM, Bespin Luke, Hoth Han, Alien Wing Guard, AT-AT Driver all look like repacks. The FX-7, Hoth Soldier, Lando, and TIE Pilot figures; I can't tell.

DarkJedi5
11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
The weekly ad had it at $49.99. $LOM, Bespin Luke, Hoth Han, Alien Wing Guard, AT-AT Driver all look like repacks. The FX-7, Hoth Soldier, Lando, and TIE Pilot figures; I can't tell.

They are all repacks. I don't even think they bothered to do repaints for the older figures, though it's possible since the paint masks could be pretty old.

BlueSnags
11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Picked this up today. It is sweet.

087-06-1620

-Snags

KyleKatarn
11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Pictures please!

sith_killer_99
11-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes yes yes, pics please. I need to see if these will be worth the coin. :D

TheDarthVader
11-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Take it from me...not worth the coin. I saw these tonight and passed...easily. I have all of these figures already.

bigbarada
11-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm wondering if the paint apps on the FX-7 figure will be anywhere near as intricate as they were in 2001? Although, if Hasbro's track record with multipacks holds true, then the figure is going to look like crap compared to the version we got 9 years ago.

TheDarthVader
11-28-2010, 09:34 PM
I could not quite tell if the FX-7 has new paint or not. If the droid has new paint, I bet money that hasbro will release FX-7 on a vintage card later.

Slicker
11-28-2010, 10:18 PM
That's a pretty sweet looking set. Even though I've pretty much just stopped collecting I may get that as I think I may just concentrate on just getting all of the vintage stuff.

sith_killer_99
11-28-2010, 11:09 PM
That's a pretty sweet looking set. Even though I've pretty much just stopped collecting I may get that as I think I may just concentrate on just getting all of the vintage stuff.

This is pretty much my focus. I dropped collecting the Hasbro stuff a while ago, but the vintage line has managed to reel me back in, so long as I don't have to pay more than about $6.00 a figure. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
And Hasbro is laughing at both of you for falling for their nefarious scheme. :)

Me, I've just gotten to the point where I get what I want, so long as the price is worth it. If the price isn't, I just shrug it off and figure that there's a 50/50 shot whatever it is will be re-released for less later.

sith_killer_99
11-28-2010, 11:41 PM
And Hasbro is laughing at both of you for falling for their nefarious scheme. :)

Me, I've just gotten to the point where I get what I want, so long as the price is worth it. If the price isn't, I just shrug it off and figure that there's a 50/50 shot whatever it is will be re-released for less later.

Oh well, I figure the money I saved by not buying figures over the last 4-5 years plus setting my figure price point at $6.00 is doable for me.

Most of the re-releases I missed the first time around, so I don't feel bad buying them now, not at $6.00 or less each. lol

:p

El Chuxter
11-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Most of the re-releases I missed the first time around, so I don't feel bad buying them now, not at $6.00 or less each.
Yousa point well seen. They're not duplicates if you passed the first time around.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-29-2010, 12:15 AM
JediTempleArchives (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=JReviews&rop=showcontent&id=554) has several pictures and a rundown of the changes in this set. The differences between this release and the older figures are very minimal; it just looks like new paint masks, with FX-7 having a darker color scheme. I'm glad there are no huge differences so I can pass on this from an opener's perspective. This was very clearly intended for carded collectors, and I've never been a huge fan of the vintage three-packs anyway. Though I do like how the backs of the cards were preserved instead of the goofy swoop design on the basic cards.

autumnsdescent
11-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Saw this set over the weekend. The paint apps on Hoth Han, Lando and the Bespin Guard were the most horrendous jobs I've seen to date. Was super glad I had all these from previous releases already...

TheDarthVader
11-29-2010, 01:17 PM
I agree autumnsdescent. The paint jobs are so-so, and none of the figures, as mentioned, have any big changes. Plus, storing this thing is a pain because it is so long...even for me (a loose and carded collector) I would have trouble keeping that big package in good condition.

I would also like to point out my hatred for the term " Bespin Alliance" on one of the three packs. Okay yeah, a wing guard; he's down to protect Bespin. Okay, yeah, Lando; he is the administrator. WAIT!! LUKE!!!?? WHA???! Luke Skywalker who has probably never been to Bespin in his whole life (he says, " I saw a city in the clouds." He does not say, " I saw Bespin.") is in this group labeled BESPIN ALLIANCE. That is the most stupid labeling I have seen since the POTF2 Death Star Gunner "with radiation suit". Just ignorant of Hasbro to do this. Luke has no interest in Bespin or its security. He is just trying to save his friends.

DarkJedi5
11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
I would also like to point out my hatred for the term " Bespin Alliance" on one of the three packs. Okay yeah, a wing guard; he's down to protect Bespin. Okay, yeah, Lando; he is the administrator. WAIT!! LUKE!!!?? WHA???! Luke Skywalker who has probably never been to Bespin in his whole life (he says, " I saw a city in the clouds." He does not say, " I saw Bespin.") is in this group labeled BESPIN ALLIANCE. That is the most stupid labeling I have seen since the POTF2 Death Star Gunner "with radiation suit". Just ignorant of Hasbro to do this. Luke has no interest in Bespin or its security. He is just trying to save his friends.

If you're so upset get out your pen and paper and address a complaint to Kenner 30 years ago. This is just Hasbro taking 3 vintage 3 packs and updating them with modern figures, the "Bespin Alliance" term was coined for the Kenner set 30 years ago. Check out this link (http://starwarsguide.net/checklist/avm02.html) for a list of other 3-packs and you'll see that the two other sets are also pretty much as they were originally (though the checklist says it should be Zuckuss instead of 4-LOM but I bet that it was back when the names were switched and so you were actually getting a 4-LOM figure; I would also take issue with the inclusion of FX-7 since he's a pretty boring figure and not well known but there he is in the original set so whatcha gonna do?). Also, since Hasbro and Target are working on another round this could feed speculation for what to expect.

Point is, I'll agree it's a stupid term but it seems far too late to be outraged over it.

El Chuxter
11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I intend to develop time travel as quickly as possible so that TheDarthVader can send a letter to 30 years ago.

bigbarada
11-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Just think how outraged fans would be if Hasbro went back and remade the ANH 3-packs and included Chewbacca in the "Android Set" like Kenner did in 1978.:D

Slicker
11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Awesome! Hey do you remember that one time in ESB when the AT-AT Driver took off his helmet?!?! Nope. Neither do I.

Hey do you remember that one time in ESB when the TIE Fighter Pilot took off his helmet?!?! Nope. Neither do I.

I must say that the vintage Lando had a much MUCH better toothy grin than the modern one.

sith_killer_99
11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I intend to develop time travel as quickly as possible so that TheDarthVader can send a letter to 30 years ago.

Hey while you are there drop a word to Lucas about the PT, and tell him to stop monkeying with the OT, oh and blu-ray, tell him it will win the format wars and he needs to get on board early and give us the theatrical releases.

Plus could you tell Kenner...

Oh skrew it, just call me and tell me to make sure I really do collect 'em all and not to open them, plus something called "Transformers".:thumbsup:

TheDarthVader
11-30-2010, 05:27 PM
If you're so upset get out your pen and paper and address a complaint to Kenner 30 years ago. This is just Hasbro taking 3 vintage 3 packs and updating them with modern figures, the "Bespin Alliance" term was coined for the Kenner set 30 years ago. Check out this link (http://starwarsguide.net/checklist/avm02.html) for a list of other 3-packs and you'll see that the two other sets are also pretty much as they were originally (though the checklist says it should be Zuckuss instead of 4-LOM but I bet that it was back when the names were switched and so you were actually getting a 4-LOM figure; I would also take issue with the inclusion of FX-7 since he's a pretty boring figure and not well known but there he is in the original set so whatcha gonna do?). Also, since Hasbro and Target are working on another round this could feed speculation for what to expect.

Point is, I'll agree it's a stupid term but it seems far too late to be outraged over it.

Oh I am not "outraged" over it. I just believe it is ignorant of hasbro to do this. Besides, I think it would have been BETTER if hasbro had changed the term. Would I still have bought this pack if the term was changed? NO.

Darth Awgmon
11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Saw alot of these sets today at three different Targets. I really like the sets, but $50 is high. I'll be on these at 50% off.

Popasdei
12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Picked mine up the other day for $40 bucks

bigbarada
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh I am not "outraged" over it. I just believe it is ignorant of hasbro to do this. Besides, I think it would have been BETTER if hasbro had changed the term. Would I still have bought this pack if the term was changed? NO.

Why is it "ignorant" of Hasbro? :confused: They are simply reusing Kenner's term in order to preserve the nostalgia of the set. Wouldn't that make it "ignorant" of Kenner? Is there another term that you would have used to describe those three particular figures? You say you're not "outraged," but it's obviously important enough to you that you saw fit to post about it. Seriously, why does it even matter, especially if you had no plans to buy the set either way? It just sounds like complaining for the sake of complaining.

For me personally, I don't recall ever seeing these 3-packs (or the ROTJ 2-packs) as a kid, so this set has zero nostalgic value for me.

TheDarthVader
12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
It is ignorant of hasbro because, nostalgic reasons aside, they could have put something different. I don't believe it would have deterred any nostalgic collectors from buying it.

I am just pointing it out for the sake of pointing something out...just an observation.

bigbarada
12-01-2010, 06:36 PM
It is ignorant of hasbro because, nostalgic reasons aside, they could have put something different. I don't believe it would have deterred any nostalgic collectors from buying it.

I am just pointing it out for the sake of pointing something out...just an observation.

Complaining for the sake of complaining... :rolleyes:

Personally, the only thing ignorant about it getting all bent out of shape over it. It's just a nod to the vintage Kenner packaging, nothing to get upset about.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-01-2010, 07:48 PM
The nostalgia is the entire point of the set. They've been changing other elements of vintage packaging where it makes sense, but here, it makes no sense to change it.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
For me personally, I don't recall ever seeing these 3-packs (or the ROTJ 2-packs) as a kid, so this set has zero nostalgic value for me.Weren't these "exclusives" to certain stores, like Sears or Montgomery Bur- Ward? I kinda like how they're keeping some "wrong" details (like the 4LOm/Zuckuss set, the cardbacks not exactly matching the new figures, etc.).

Bel-Cam Jos
12-02-2010, 08:49 PM
I saw this in a store today, and if I wanted to attach a photo I'd need to use my panoramic camera. That box is... long. Unless it drops on sale; pass.

TheDarthVader
12-11-2010, 09:52 AM
HAHA! This set is shelf warming badly at my Target. So much for a nostalgic set that didn't turn out to be so great and popular. My target has about 15 of these. I might get one if it goes on clearance for $25, but I am not sure yet.

Neuroleptic
12-11-2010, 11:21 AM
It doesnt seem to be comeing to my target. I have never seen it on the shelf. Which is a shame, because I'd like to at least look at it to decide if I want it or not even if it's like everyone else and wait for it to go on clearance. Maybe I should ask if they have any in the back?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I saw around six of these yesterday. I still can't pull the trigger on spending $50 for cardboard. Hopefully it will go to clearance and then I'll reconsider.

El Chuxter
12-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I've seen a few dozen at various Targets. These things have a major appointment with Mr. Clearance Sticker two weeks from now.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I've seen a few dozen at various Targets. These things have a major appointment with Mr. Clearance Sticker two weeks from now.There's probably a website with a countdown clock for it already. :D

El Chuxter
12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Seriously, I see these hitting prices as low as $12 at some of the lower-traffic Targets.

Rogue II
12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I might pick one up if I see them for $25, but I won't be dissapointed if I miss it. Has anyone opened this set yet? I'm wondering if the big piece of cardboard holds the 3 carded sets together.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm wondering if the big piece of cardboard holds the 3 carded sets together.It's useful as a back support for car crash victims, or a replacement diving board.

TheDarthVader
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I wish Hasbro would have tried harder with this set, and I might have purchased it at full price.
Who wants a Hoth Han whose sculpt has been used for like 7 years. Wow new paint. Big deal.
Another Bespin Luke...its been done before...BORING!
A white alien with blue spray paint marks on his face...YAWN.
Kids don't want this crap either. Lando...wow they changed his eyes...I had better jump on that.
A tie fighter pilot...have plenty of those already.
AT-AT driver...once again, I have about 5 of those.
4-LOM...is Hasbro joking? I can get him right now on ebay for about $5 carded. Plus he has been released twice in the last 3 years.
FX-7 not a bad figure at all. I kinda like the new more vibrant paint.
Hoth Rebel Soldier...not too shabby. But kids don't care about variances with a beard. Wow mine has a beard; I feel more mature as a kid playing with a star wars toy because mine has a grown-up beard. AWESOME! :beard:

bigbarada
12-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I wish Hasbro would have tried harder with this set, and I might have purchased it at full price.
Who wants a Hoth Han whose sculpt has been used for like 7 years. Wow new paint. Big deal.
Another Bespin Luke...its been done before...BORING!
A white alien with blue spray paint marks on his face...YAWN.
Kids don't want this crap either. Lando...wow they changed his eyes...I had better jump on that.
A tie fighter pilot...have plenty of those already.
AT-AT driver...once again, I have about 5 of those.
4-LOM...is Hasbro joking? I can get him right now on ebay for about $5 carded. Plus he has been released twice in the last 3 years.
FX-7 not a bad figure at all. I kinda like the new more vibrant paint.
Hoth Rebel Soldier...not too shabby. But kids don't care about variances with a beard. Wow mine has a beard; I feel more mature as a kid playing with a star wars toy because mine has a grown-up beard. AWESOME! :beard:

Actually that Hoth Han sculpt has only been around since 2007, so 7 years is a bit of an exaggeration. Also Hasbro was simply matching the Kenner line 3-packs, hence these particular figure choices. So this isn't a way to provide kids with brand new figures to play with (although figures like FX-7 and Lando would probably be new to most kids), it's more of a nod to the vintage Kenner packaging intended for us old-school collectors.

El Chuxter
12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Because Hasbro knows that, at this point in the line, there's nothing adult collectors enjoy more than re-buying the exact same figures over and over. :) If a lot of us are so burned out on getting one new figure with four or three or even just one re-release, why would Hasbro and Target bank on us dropping $50 on nine of them in boring packaging, even if it is vintage-accurate? Sure, one of them (Utris M'toc) was tough to find initially, but he was the easiest new figure to find of the BG-J38 wave by a pretty wide margin, and $50 is about five times what the figure's going for on eBay.

If it hits $12, as I predict, I might get one to give to my kids just because it's nine figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, again, this set is aimed squarely at carded collectors. That's the entire point: nostalgia. Of course they're not going to change anything about the figures, or change the line-ups. If parents want to get a gift set for their kids, then this could probably work as well (the per-figure cost is around $5.55). But the ones complaining are not the ones for whom this set was intended, so just don't buy it and let it go.

El Chuxter
12-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, but how many collectors are still carded completists? $50 is a lot of change for nine re-releases on boring packaging that was so obscure most people didn't realize it was a re-creation of vintage packaging.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, but how many collectors are still carded completists? $50 is a lot of change for nine re-releases on boring packaging that was so obscure most people didn't realize it was a re-creation of vintage packaging.
It can't be too many. But people were getting excited for new vintage packaging, and there are people who just want to get vintage stuff even if they aren't completists otherwise. I agree that the packaging isn't as interesting as most other vintage stuff, but apparently people liked the old three-packs, so it does make sense that they'd try it.

Plus, if they changed some of the figures but not the others, you know there would be grumbling about how people were being forced to re-buy old figures to get new ones. It's really a no-win situation here; certainly they wouldn't have updated every single figure when the existing versions work just fine.

TheDarthVader
12-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, again, this set is aimed squarely at carded collectors. That's the entire point: nostalgia.

With the slow rate these are being sold, I disagree. Hasbro has ALWAYS stated that they are more focused on the child market and NOT the collector market. They say the child market is a lot larger. I don't think this is squarely aimed at collectors. Heck, Hasbro will not make Jocasta Nu because they say she is not a figure KIDS would be interested in. (I don't want a Jocasta...used for reference.) So I don't know why Hasbro would make these if the main aim was collectors. Making a 9 figure pack is a bigger risk than just making one figure. (No hate please; just my outlook on the situation) I just know that my target is busting with these nine packs, and I have heard other targets are as well. If this keeps happening, I see less star wars target exclusives in the future. Which would be fine with me. I usually
A. don't find them
B. there are too many of them shelf warming

bigbarada
12-18-2010, 08:03 PM
(the per-figure cost is around $5.55).

Which kind of helps to highlight just how out of control action figure pricing has gotten in the last few years. These figures are a bargain at this price; but the set still feels ridiculously expensive. If these were all packaged individually on vintage cards, then collectors would be looking at paying $72-$90 for all nine figures. But when you are buying figures individually, you tend to not pay attention to the total amount that you are paying.

Making a 9 figure pack is a bigger risk than just making one figure. (No hate please; just my outlook on the situation)

Totally agree. I would have considered buying one or even two of these sets if they were sold as individual 3-packs. Of course, they would have been close to $20 each, so I would be spending more money on those figures than I would buying them as a 9-pack; but breaking the sets up just makes each one an easier pill to swallow.

El Chuxter
12-18-2010, 08:23 PM
It would've made more sense to have three separate three-packs rather than altogether. They could've even marked them up slightly to $20 apiece, or a total of $60, and they would've sold better.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2010, 11:33 PM
With the slow rate these are being sold, I disagree. Hasbro has ALWAYS stated that they are more focused on the child market and NOT the collector market. They say the child market is a lot larger. I don't think this is squarely aimed at collectors. Heck, Hasbro will not make Jocasta Nu because they say she is not a figure KIDS would be interested in. (I don't want a Jocasta...used for reference.) So I don't know why Hasbro would make these if the main aim was collectors. Making a 9 figure pack is a bigger risk than just making one figure. (No hate please; just my outlook on the situation) I just know that my target is busting with these nine packs, and I have heard other targets are as well. If this keeps happening, I see less star wars target exclusives in the future. Which would be fine with me. I usually
A. don't find them
B. there are too many of them shelf warming
Well clearly they aren't selling everywhere as well as Hasbro might like. But just because their biggest market is kids doesn't mean that they don't also release products for collectors.

Which kind of helps to highlight just how out of control action figure pricing has gotten in the last few years. These figures are a bargain at this price; but the set still feels ridiculously expensive. If these were all packaged individually on vintage cards, then collectors would be looking at paying $72-$90 for all nine figures. But when you are buying figures individually, you tend to not pay attention to the total amount that you are paying.
There's a difference in the cost that goes into creating a figure with five points of articulation than a figure with fourteen points of articulation. With the increases, of course it's going to be reflected in the price. Back in my day, though, we only got our figures after walking fifteen miles in the snow uphill both ways. ;)

And actually, no, this set is a significantly smaller risk than something like Jocasta Nu. It's 100% repacks, so there's no tooling involved (and it's apparently significantly more expensive than most people think). All that's involved here is creating new paint masks for the older figures (which aren't very expensive, and thus is why they're thrown away after they're done on a figure's production run) and obviously creating the packaging (which probably costs a great deal less than having to cut figure molds out of steel). It's apples and oranges.

El Chuxter
12-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Given how often Hasbro re-releases figures, why would they throw away the paint masks?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Given how often Hasbro re-releases figures, why would they throw away the paint masks?
There are presumably several for each character, and there have been well over a thousand different figures released in the line. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not technically feasible to save every single paint mask for every single character. Re-creating them is probably significantly easier than having to root through thousands of entries just to get the ones they want. Perhaps it's different for higher-profile figures, but I don't think the possibility of re-releasing FX-7 eight and a half years after it came out really crossed their mind back in 2002.

El Chuxter
12-18-2010, 11:55 PM
What I meant (but wasn't clear): shouldn't that all be digital files that are kept forever? Even if the actual mask is destroyed, shouldn't an exact replica be able to be produced immediately from the file (or is this the case)?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-19-2010, 12:05 AM
They have to create and use masks for each individual paint application (meaning eyes probably have three masks - one for pupils, one for irises, and one for the whites). I'm thinking that they base it off of the existing figures instead off of printing digital plans onto the masks. Even if you're just suggesting that they're blueprints, a digital file that tells them how to make the proper streaks in Luke's hair probably wouldn't really help much. So this is why you see slight differences in different releases of figures; most of them aren't noticeable unless you really look hard. But it seems to me that, no, they don't always have the ability to completely match previous paint masks 100%, leading me to believe that it's not as easy as you suggest.

bigbarada
12-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Back in my day, though, we only got our figures after walking fifteen miles in the snow uphill both ways. ;)

True, but we only had to pay $2.87 for them and the 15 mile walk was good exercise. :)

sith_killer_99
12-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I have yet to see these at my local Target.

Veers
12-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I wish they would sell these each of these 3-packs individually instead of being forced to buy all nine. It is cool but $49 is a lot to drop at one time.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Everytime I see these (which is now at any Target I visit), there isn't even a space on the shelf where someone has taken one off, nor have I ever seen a fellow shopper with one in his/her cart. Marketing, Hasbro; it's a worthwhile course to take at the local JC.

El Chuxter
12-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Saw one with one figure (the TIE Pilot) removed, marked down to $35 "as is."

TheDarthVader
12-21-2010, 07:12 PM
What a bomb of an exclusive. What a waste!

Neuroleptic
12-28-2010, 03:13 AM
Aside for the Hoth Han, I strangely had none of these figures in this pack. So, I'd been waiting just to SEE it to decide if I wanted it or not, but the local target never put one on the shelves the entire holiday season. Wasn't there on the 26th, either.

However I went in on the 27th (my birthday) and found several of them apparently just put on the shelf. And, to further up Target's epic fail on their part (but worked out better for me in the end) they had it on clearance for 24 dollars. Since I'd gotten 20 dollars from my mother in law for X-mas, I was essentualy able to pick up the pack for 4 bucks.

Also, I finaly figured out how to get my wife to let me buy a TV. Apparently the secret was as simple as a few margaritas while out for dinner. Who knew? All in all, a great birthday.

jonthejedi
12-28-2010, 05:30 AM
...what TheDarthVader said.

mtriv73
12-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I wonder if the follow up set they announced a while back will be cancelled?

Neuroleptic
12-28-2010, 08:28 PM
I think that if this set had been released as 3 individual sets, marketed properly, and released consistently (for example they didn't hit the shelves here until after the holidays and after target put them on clearance . . . ) they would have sold better. As one big set at full price, even though it's a good buy, it's not exactly a cheap impulse buy like one or two figures.

IF the other sets don't get cancled, I think they'll do rather well, honestly.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-30-2010, 05:14 PM
I ended up getting this set since it was on clearance for 50% off. It was more of an "eh, what the hell" purchase than an "I have to have this" one.

Everytime I see these (which is now at any Target I visit), there isn't even a space on the shelf where someone has taken one off, nor have I ever seen a fellow shopper with one in his/her cart. Marketing, Hasbro; it's a worthwhile course to take at the local JC.
They've already gotten the word out on fan sites and at conventions; the rest is up to Target, which put it in a weekly ad last month. The stores differ wildly in what they put out and how they display it. These were meant to be on the endcap (hence the shape and size).

I wonder if the follow up set they announced a while back will be cancelled?
I'm reletively sure that the future packs will just be three figures, not nine, similar in every aspect to these aside from the outer cardboard holding them together.

bigbarada
12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I think that if this set had been released as 3 individual sets, marketed properly, and released consistently (for example they didn't hit the shelves here until after the holidays and after target put them on clearance . . . ) they would have sold better. As one big set at full price, even though it's a good buy, it's not exactly a cheap impulse buy like one or two figures.

IF the other sets don't get cancled, I think they'll do rather well, honestly.

Yeah, they could have charged $20 each for the 3-packs and, even though it's technically more money, it would have felt like less to the consumers. Especially since collectors could have spread out the purchases over time, instead of having to drop that large lump of cash all at once.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Finally saw them at a discount ($34.98, which makes it 20% off, I figure [pun always intended]), but they'll need to be no less than 50% off before I borrow Mr. JJL's 'more of an "eh, what the hell" purchase than an "I have to have this"' impulse.

TheDarthVader
01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Finally saw them at a discount ($34.98, which makes it 20% off, I figure [pun always intended]), but they'll need to be no less than 50% off before I borrow Mr. JJL's 'more of an "eh, what the hell" purchase than an "I have to have this"' impulse.

This retailed for $49.99. I checked your math BCJ...and the outlook is not so good. At $34.98 that would make the set 30% off, not 20% off. I expect to see you at 5 a.m. sharp for tutoring.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Here are my reasons for my error (and yes, there will be a BSLOS as punishment :cry: )...

- I thought the price reduction was $10 and knew that would amount be 20% of $50
- the actual savings is 30.002% and that thousanths place decimal freaked me out, man!
- I was using last year's number system
- Lando's best people told me they fixed the hyperdrive

Sigh... what a terrible way to start 2011, with a misstake, I mean, mistake. :confused:

"Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas.
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is.
He ain't gonna let those two escape justice.
He makes his living off of the people's taxes."

Mvader91
01-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Here are my reasons for my error (and yes, there will be a BSLOS as punishment :cry: )...

- I thought the price reduction was $10 and knew that would amount be 20% of $50
- the actual savings is 30.002% and that thousanths place decimal freaked me out, man!
- I was using last year's number system
- Lando's best people told me they fixed the hyperdrive

Sigh... what a terrible way to start 2011, with a misstake, I mean, mistake. :confused:

"Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas.
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is.
He ain't gonna let those two escape justice.
He makes his living off of the people's taxes."
:love:My Target in nora had them for 24.98! Pretty good buy. I think what was the point. They were out for a week then gone now they show up like this?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Went to Target today, to see if the price had gone down (and therefore, possibly not in stock anymore). Nope; same at $34.98. And TheDarthVader can tell you the percent off, as I cannot. ;) It's got to reach at least $20 before I even give it a "meh" consideration.

El Chuxter
01-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I got one today (obviously at a different Target from BCJ) for $24.98. I wouldn't have gotten it, but my daughter asked for it without any input from me, so I couldn't refuse.

Maradona
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Hesperia Super Target has them for $24.98.