PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

sith_killer_99
11-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, my 17 inch HP finally died on me the other day. I have been using my wife's laptop for about 2 weeks now.

So today I finally went out and bought a new laptop.

I wanted to buy a 15 inch that Best Buy had on sale for Black Friday for $189.99!

Needless to say I was not able to find one. Instead I spent all day running around looking for the best deal.

I decided that if I couldn't find a super cheap 15 inch laptop for $200, then I would look for a better one. I found a ton of 15 inch laptops for $400, but then I found a few 15 inch laptops with blu-ray drives for less than $600.

I ended up buying a Gateway 15.6 inch with 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel HD graphics, Blu-Ray Drive, Intel Core i3-370 processor, and 1.3 MP webcam. Price was $579.00 but ended up being $630.00 after taxes. :cry: Grrr, $50 in taxes! :p

Anyway, I am happy with the purchase, I really wanted a laptop with blu-ray and this one fits the bill nicely.

Oh and it's running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).

I am working on downloading the standard software. Open Office, Firefox, and iTunes, etc.

Another up side is that it comes with CybeLink Power DVD9 for the blu-ray playback.:D

LusiferSam
11-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Congrats. I just bought a new laptop yesterday too. It's a Mac so no sub $1,000 price tag for me. :(

My old G4 isn't dead, but it dying. The battery needs to be replaced, I maybe get an hour's charge out of it. At only 1.5 GB the RAM is maxed out and I could used more. The hard drive is too small, only 75 GB. The processor too slow and only a single core. Finally because it's a G4 I can't run a bunch of the software I want to be running. So it's time.

The reason I hadn't upgrade the laptop awhile ago was because of the software I was running on it. Lyx runs much better on my laptop than desktop. It psudo-crashs on desktop. LaTeX won't properly install on the desktop and I really, really need to be running LaTeX right now. But that was fixed about a month ago.

The model I ago was real similar to yours, but I got 8 GB of RAM and have a Core i7 processor.

sith_killer_99
11-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Has Apple gotten on the ball and added blu-ray yet, or does Steve Jobs think it's a fad like flash? :laugh:

JK

I like Apple, if not for the price I would own one. :mad:

LusiferSam
11-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Has Apple gotten on the ball and added blu-ray yet, or does Steve Jobs think it's a fad like flash? :laugh:

Sadly, no. Steve's exact words are blu-ray is a "bag of hurt." It's something to do with licensing fees. It's a not huge deal to me as I don't have any blu-ray movies, but it is the newer technology and has real advantages over standard DVD. Knowing my luck Apple will announce new models in January with blu-ray players. :rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
11-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Sadly, no. Steve's exact words are blu-ray is a "bag of hurt." It's something to do with licensing fees. It's a not huge deal to me as I don't have any blu-ray movies, but it is the newer technology and has real advantages over standard DVD. Knowing my luck Apple will announce new models in January with blu-ray players. :rolleyes:

Money money money, it's one of the reasons I do not care for Apple. I can buy a comparable laptop with Windows 7 for 1/2 the price of a MacBook, yet Apple is too cheap to shell out the licensing fees for blu-ray. :rolleyes:

I like their designs and I hear the OS is awesome, but because of the price I will never own one. Sad.

The same thing goes for their iPod and iPad pricing. No one will drop the price below a certain point because Apple won't allow it, yet you can get all kinds of free carp added to your iPod (iTunes cards, etc.) you just have to pay the regular price. Oh well, that's why god invented pawn shops and third party retailers, plenty of last gen iPods cheap at the pawn shop. lol

LusiferSam
11-28-2010, 01:45 AM
That's one area I won't defend. When it comes to laptop prices Macs are the far high end. A similarly configured Dell or HP cost close to a $1,000 less. :sur: A true comparison of laptop really isn't possible, but 1,000 bucks different, I don't get it. I also don't get that I'm willing to pay it. I guess it's a small price to pay for the OS I like and will work with my software.

LusiferSam
11-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Oops. I really messed my last post up. I was comparing HP's and Dell's low end models to Apple's high end models. So of course Apple come out over charging. When comparing a similarly configured HP to Apple's MacBook was only about $250 less. Dell didn't have any thing that could be compared. On the high end line a configured HP to Apple's MacBook Pro was only $100 less. And the Dell was $300 less.

sith_killer_99
11-28-2010, 04:53 PM
It all depends on your needs.

The bottom line is that anyone can go right out and find a basic 15 inch laptop with all the basics like WI-FI, DVD burner, etc. for $400.00.

We will never see a brand new MacBook for that kind of price. Heck Black Friday saw a sub $200 15 inch laptop!

Sure one could argue that the $1000 Apple MacBook is a superior computer, but most people can fill their needs with a $400 laptop and they get 2 more inches of screen real estate.

On the other side, Apple's MacBook Pro maxes out far below a top end PC laptop. In other words, I can currently configure a 17 inch HP with 2 TB of HDD, blu-ray, etc. Other mfg's, like ibuypower actually allow SLI configured video graphics cards for extreme graphics rendering capabilities or push the envelope with 12 GB of RAM.

MFG's play a big part in overall pricing as well. I configured a laptop from ibuypower with better specs than the top of the line MacBook Pro 17 inch laptop and it ran me $100 less. Including:

Intel Core i7 950 (3.06 GHz)
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM (1333 Mhz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480M 2GB GDDR5
750 GB HDD (7200 RPM)
4X Blu-Ray

Again, it all comes down to your needs and resources.

Apple has a much more limited selection, from mid to high level, while PC laptops run from low to ultra high levels.

At the end of the day we are still comparing apples and oranges, no pun intended.

They are just different, with Apple laptops pricing and configurations running from $1,000-$3,100 (not including SSD, external monitors, software, etc.) and PC laptops running from $200-$4,500 (give or take). This is to be expected given the wide selection of mfg's and hardware available for PC laptops.

Apple makes a great machine, no doubt, they just don't cater to the wider audience.

Regardless, so long as the customer is happy, it really doesn't matter. That's the greatness of Capitalism. :thumbsup: