PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary to Pong!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Pong is 38 years old - http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2010/11/1129pong.

And a song to celebrate it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1vRCzZYGY

JimJamBonds
11-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Happy birthday Pong!

JEDIpartner
11-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Happy birthday, birthpool of all electronic gaming!!!!

Lord Malakite
11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Happy birthday, birthpool of all electronic gaming!!!!
There are electronic games older than Pong.

TeeEye7
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM

*Draws card* -"Remove funny bone"

►BUZZ!◄

-"Rats!"

;)

Lord Malakite
11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
*Draws card* -"Remove funny bone"

►BUZZ!◄

-"Rats!"

;)

Nice, though I meant electronic as in video games. :p

The Cathode-Ray Tube Amusement Device was created in 1947-48. It is generally considered the first video game (if you follow the definition of a video game to be any electronic game displayed using a video output device). OXO, also known as Noughts and Crosses (created in 1952), and Tennis for Two (created in 1958 and incidentally is the first video game created of tennis/table tennis) are considered the first video games (if you follow the definition that a video game is a game generated via computer using graphics displayed on a TV or monitor). In 1971 Galaxy Game (an arcade adaption of the 1961 created game Spacewar!) became the first released coin-operated arcade game (only 1 was manufactured and it was installed at a student union in Standford University). Also in 1971, but slightly later in the year, Computer Space (another arcade adaption of Spacewar!) became the first commercially released arcade game (1,500 were manufactured). In 1972 the Magnavox Odyssey (originally called the "Brown Box" when it was being prototyped from 1966-68) became the first commercially released home console (and incidentally, because of its already built-in games, the first commercially released video game of table tennis). Pong, also released in 1972, but slightly later in the year, is generally considered the first commercially successful video game. Incidentally (before Pong was created) Nolan Bushnell (the founder of Atari Inc.) had visited the Magnavox Profit Caravan in Burlingame, California where he played the Magnavox Odyssey demonstration of the table tennis game. After Pong was released Magnavox filed suit against Atari (and several of the Pong clone companies) for patent infringement.

JEDIpartner
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Yeah... but this was one of the very first that was widely available for home consoles. If it weren't for pong, the Atari 2600 wouldn't have made the splash that it did.

I was alive when this stuff was happening and remember my cousins getting it when it first was available. I was so jealous!!!

:o