PDA

View Full Version : The Authorities Are Going To BLOW UP A HOUSE PACKED WITH EXPLOSIVES here in San Diego

Tycho
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
How smart is this?! :rolleyes:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/bomb-factory-house/

You know: compare the costs of all the potential lawsuits from those who could be injured or even killed by chemicals released out of this mess that the Hazmat people don't even know about, v...ersus the cost of paying contractors to work with the Hazmat folks, yes, taking more time, but tearing the house down, piece by piece from the roof to the foundation.

If something gets triggered, detonated, whatever, then that's what MIGHT happen. It also might be discovered during such a slow, and careful demolition, averting the greater disaster.

Everything blows up when you set fire to explosives.

Oh, and just for my neighbors, you might want to arrange travel plans that don't involve taking the I-15 next week.

Live From San Diego - the SD County Sheriff's Office In Action! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTRxXvQY0s)

Qui-Long Gone
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Is this being done by Michael Bay?

TeeEye7
12-02-2010, 03:23 PM
No rant against the lunatic responsible for this who already injured someone? Just a rant against the authorities trying to render a solution? :rolleyes:

Tycho
12-02-2010, 05:33 PM
TeeEye: that man is obviously insane.

Does our sheriff also need to be? :crazed:

sith_killer_99
12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Meh.

I do not see a problem.

El Chuxter
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
The only problem I see is that the 15 will be closed in Escondido, and I have a dentist appointment in Rancho Bernardo (just south of Escondido). And I'm not sure of the alternate routes.

A lot of explosives are surprisingly safe when burned. I don't always fully trust the authorities on this sort of thing, but I think they're probably right here.

TeeEye7
12-03-2010, 03:07 AM
TeeEye: that man is obviously insane.

Does our sheriff also need to be? :crazed:

We're talking another Timothy McVeigh here. Someone arrested with 5 million dollars bail has garnered the attention of local, state, and federal officials, who, I know from experience are all in contact with each other working on a safe, appropriate solution to the problem. I find your opinions towards law enforcement, firefighters, health and safety officials, and other experts to be insulting, especially since I doubt you attended any of the informational meetings the residents did as well as wondering what your expertise on explosives might be (I know with my limited training on the subject that you are misinformed by some of your statements in your post). Relying solely on the media for information and basing your statements on them with an easy wave of the hand is disturbing. It's alarmist and irresponsible.

There's much, much more to this story and the investigation is still on-going. It's unfortunate that you choose not to support those who risk their lives daily and have the public's interest at heart. This is all I will say on the subject as there are many, many factors to this complex issue (rendering the scene safe...this is a HUGE undertaking... .and the investigation) and it would take more time and effort than I'm willing to put forth as, in the end, I don't think it would matter to you. I would say have faith in your local government's handling of this matter, however. From my experience observing these matters with my own agency on a lesser magnitude, they're doing the right thing.

Tycho
12-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, we're going to see what happens, for sure.

We're talking another Timothy McVeigh here. Someone arrested with 5 million dollars bail has garnered the attention of local, state, and federal officials,

I am very glad they arrested this guy. His "collection" already injured a gardener. Who knows what he was planning?

who, I know from experience are all in contact with each other working on a safe, appropriate solution to the problem. I find your opinions towards law enforcement, firefighters, health and safety officials, and other experts to be insulting, especially since I doubt you attended any of the informational meetings the residents did as well as wondering what your expertise on explosives might be (I know with my limited training on the subject that you are misinformed by some of your statements in your post).

That may be true. Actually, I sure hope so!

No I didn't go to informational meetings. The area in question is a good 30 minutes from where I live. I won't likely be in a blast radius. They'd have discovered something nuclear by scanning for radiation already. However, airborne chemicals may still be a threat. In any event, I'm free to comment on the subject. It's big news down here.

Relying solely on the media for information and basing your statements on them with an easy wave of the hand is disturbing. It's alarmist and irresponsible.

You're right. I probably sound like a Bill O'Rielly or Rush Limbaugh fan. However, since this is a non-partisan, public safety issue, the media should be doing a very thorough job explaining all the facts. As it is, the public in San Diego is a little nervous about this one.

There's much, much more to this story and the investigation is still on-going. It's unfortunate that you choose not to support those who risk their lives daily and have the public's interest at heart.

I never said that.

What I want to know - and citizens wrote the paper today asking the same question - is why careful, MANUAL demolition of this house isn't conducted instead?

Anyone can see that's safer.

it would take more time and effort than I'm willing to put forth as, in the end, I don't think it would matter to you.

You're wrong about that.

I would say have faith in your local government's handling of this matter, however. From my experience observing these matters with my own agency on a lesser magnitude, they're doing the right thing.

That's good to know.