PDA

View Full Version : The Paranormal, Cryptozoological, Extraterrestrial and Unexplained thread!

JEDIpartner
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a fascination with such things as I had some interesting stories related to me by reliable sources when I was younger. I've also had some weird personal experiences I'd love to share with people and... I'd love to hear from people who've shared similar experiences.

The thing that sorta inspired me to start this thread today was this news story passed on to me by a colleague...

Man's Broken Camera Captures Spooky Image (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/26088129/detail.html)

Now, it really could just be a hoax, but what if it's not? I've had some experiences that I cannot explain and I would love to have someone give me the benefit of the doubt in those instances. I cannot explain what I saw; I can only describe what happened.

Qui-Long Gone
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I like this thread already! :thumbsup:

Maradona
12-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Art Bell is God!!!!

I still miss HIS Coast to Coast AM show. George Noory was never going to be him, but I expected him to do a bit better than he's done. He agrees with everyone who comes on and never gives anyone a hard time with questioning or reasoning. Art, though he may have believed the assertions of his guests, would engage them for elaboration, leading typically to a much more precise and delving interview.

JEDIpartner
12-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I reported this to BFRO.net a few years ago. I didn't know where else to report it, but someone said "why not just submit it to [this site]", so I did. I'm not saying it was a sasquatch, but I also know it wasn't something I could identify.

August 1980 (http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3301)

BTW... the thing in the first post has been confirmed as a hoax. Thank goodness for that, too! That thing had me creeped out!!! Eep! :eek:

Blue2th
12-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Damn! :eek: Creepy

I believe in Bigfoot. I haven't seen one but I've been in a dense forrest before and experienced dead silence much like you described (not even an insect) this was the Cascades in Washington State in an area that's teeming with wildlife. My girlfriend and I noticed right away the silence, looked at each other, got back in the car and sped away.

sith_killer_99
12-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Cryptozoology is real science.

dr_evazan22
12-10-2010, 08:23 PM
I read recently about a werewolf sighting at a Panda Express.

morpheus282
12-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Man's Broken Camera Captures Spooky Image (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/26088129/detail.html)

It's a baby Mothman!

Blue2th
12-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I think this was posted a while back in another thread. I'm reminded of the Andromeda Strain.
New life form discovered in sewer pipe?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0CYfevkR8

InsaneJediGirl
12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
We were joking tonight it was a zombie and we had better start prepping for the invasion.

I've had mega weird experiences, both with the paranormal and with whatever you want to call the "unexplainable". I'd say the most recent thing for me was I was walking towards a tree line on our property at night and there was a low growl and a smell of rotting flesh. I ran back and flipped the car lights on, but who knows. I don't think it was a coyote since they have all ran from me in the past when I've stumbled upon them.

sith_killer_99
12-10-2010, 10:47 PM
El Chupacabra!

:yes:

InsaneJediGirl
12-10-2010, 11:12 PM
El Chupacabra!

:yes:

:thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I reported this to BFRO.net a few years ago. I didn't know where else to report it, but someone said "why not just submit it to [this site]", so I did. I'm not saying it was a sasquatch, but I also know it wasn't something I could identify.

August 1980 (http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3301)

BTW... the thing in the first post has been confirmed as a hoax. Thank goodness for that, too! That thing had me creeped out!!! Eep! :eek:

Damn! :eek: Creepy

I believe in Bigfoot. I haven't seen one but I've been in a dense forrest before and experienced dead silence much like you described (not even an insect) this was the Cascades in Washington State in an area that's teeming with wildlife. My girlfriend and I noticed right away the silence, looked at each other, got back in the car and sped away.

Yeah... it really is an unearthly feeling. I had issues walking or riding my bike through the 1/2 mile stretch of road that bordered that area even into adulthood. I always found myself looking over my shoulder thinking that I'd see it or another one there.

Cryptozoology is real science.

I'm with you... :yes:

sith_killer_99
12-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm with you... :yes:

The coelacanth changed everything! :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
12-14-2010, 05:47 AM
I always found myself looking over my shoulder thinking that I'd see it or another one there.
Bigfoot isn't scary once you get to know him. What you got to do is bring some Reese Pieces with you. When he shows up you offer him a handful or two. If he starts to grunt at you or throw stones/break sticks, you should start picking up stones and look behind you. Start grunting and throwing stones in the opposite direction like you got bigfoot's back (for whatever enemy that he perceives is behind you). Next thing you know you'll be riding on the same bike together with him peddling and you sitting comfortably in a basket.

JEDIpartner
12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Isn't that E.T.? :tired:

Qui-Long Gone
12-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Bigfoot isn't scary once you get to know him. What you got to do is bring some Reese Pieces with you. When he shows up you offer him a handful or two. If he starts to grunt at you or throw stones/break sticks, you should start picking up stones and look behind you. Start grunting and throwing stones in the opposite direction like you got bigfoot's back (for whatever enemy that he perceives is behind you). Next thing you know you'll be riding on the same bike together with him peddling and you sitting comfortably in a basket.

He's a big fan of vintage SW figures! :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Ahem... stay on target.

El Chuxter
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I've read the initial image is a viral marketing ploy for an upcoming movie. I hope not, but fear that's probably right.

Qui-Long Gone
12-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Would viral marketing fall under paranormal or cryptozoological?

I'm just thinking that the term "viral" has a science ring to it....

JEDIpartner
12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Seriously? No one else has a real unexplained experience to relate here?

El Chuxter
12-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I lived in a house that made me believe in ghosts. Harmless ones, but ghosts nonetheless. Mostly lights turning on in parts of the house where no one currently was, a cold spot in one bedroom where the previous occupant had died, never anything too scary once you got used to it.

JEDIpartner
12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
We had that when we finished the attic in our house. The television would turn on and off in the middle of the night. We also heard voices coming from one inner corner of the room. The cat used to run around in circles in that corner and get all wild-eyed. I gave the ghost or whatever a talking to and said it was fine for them to stay, but that it was my house now and they needed to respect that. We've not had a problem with that since.

Snowtrooper
12-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I've never had a paranormal experience myself, but after my dad passed away, the tv at my mom's house would turn on by itself for no reason. I have seen walkie talkies turn tv's on and off, but there was nothing of the sort there that would do that. The tv continued to do that for about a year and then stopped. I can't say for sure that its something paranormal, or if something else was causing it that we never figured out. It was just very strange that the tv never did this until after my dad passed away.

JEDIpartner
12-14-2010, 04:38 PM
*nods*

My partner's dad had died from cancer a couple years before his niece was born. On the night that she was born, he saw the door open to his room and felt his father's presence in his room. Just moments later, his brother-in-law called to say that Samantha was born.

So... yeah. I get that, Snowtrooper!

Ando
12-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a few stories:

- My parents' house is old and fairly creepy when you're there by yourself and makes a lot of weird noises. When I was a kid, I stayed up late one night and was watching TV in the family room and thought I heard one of my parents come into the room, so I pretended to be asleep so that they wouldn't make me get up and go to bed. The couch I was on faced away from the door and I felt a presence of someone standing behind the couch looking down at me then leave the room. Both parents, when asked later, were in the room checking on me.

- When I was in junior high, one night I was in bed reading my bible, and I got a VERY eerie feeling that someone or something was in my rooms (lights on). I closed my eyes and prayed until the feeling went away.

- In 2006, I lived in an older building in downtown Portland (Apartment 21 at The Bretnor Apartment building on NW 20th and NW Lovejoy for anyone familiar with the area...). One night I was walking around, and felt something almost intangible brush past me to the point where I had to move against the wall to let it past (it was more of a 'feeling' or perception that something was there...). Moments later, I looked at the window and there was a spider that had just come in from outside. I smashed it, and when I turned around and looked at another wall, I saw another one. This happened 2 more times that night. Not sure if that was a omen or paranormally related to the "thing" that brushed past me, but it all happened in a 5 minute span and creeped the ***t out of me.

- In the same apartment, I woke up and looked over towards the loveseat in my bedroom (my apartment was a "double studio". 2 large rooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom, no dedicated bedroom...). The love seat was against the bay window and I had left some white button down shirts on the arm rest to iron later. The street light was shining in and when I looked over, it looked like my shirts were moving. The window was shut, so it wasn't the wind, and the movement looked like someone or thing was just feeling the material of the shirts (they were fresh out of the dryer that night), almost like the way a cat kneads a pillow. Very weird. I wear glasses and didn't have them on that night, but the bed and the loveseat aren't that far away from each other.

- Same apartment, another night. My wife, then girlfriend, bought me a Darth Vader Force FX light saber for our 1 year dating anniversary. I was messing with it while watching TV one night (all of these experiences were when I was by myself). I was turning it on and off (if you have one of these, you know how fun that can be when you have your very first one). At one point, I flicked it on and heard something in the bedroom (right next to the living room where I was sitting) hit the floor.

The DVD stand against the wall in my room had a bunch of Utupau Clone Troopers, Shock Troopers, and General Grievous on the top shelf. A few of the troopers and Grievous hit the floor. One of the figures that "fell" was in the back and didn't know over anything in the FRONT yet managed to take out Grievous 1 shelf below and they were a few feet (3-4) from the shelf when I picked them up. The shelf is less than 1 foot "deep" and when I tried to recreate what happend by rocking it gently, none of the figures fell off. VERY WEIRD. I almost forgot about this one until I wrote the others.

- This is the last story that I can remember and it's from when I was very very very young. 2-3 maybe? I don't tell this story very often because I get laughed at, so I would appreciate it if folks kept an open mind because part of it does sound silly, but I can remember it very very vividly...

I was in my crib (maybe I was 2?) and I was standing up in it and the lights were off and I wasn't tired and I was looking out the window. I remember a (distinctly male) voice saying (here's the part where people laugh at me):

Disembodied voice: "Andy, would you like a hotdog?"

Baby Ando: "Yes!"

Disembodied voice: "Then you need to go to sleep now."

Baby Ando: "Okay."

So I laid down, excited about getting a hotdog, and went to sleep.

The next morning, when I asked my mom for my hotdog, she hadn't a clue as to what I was talking about and I told her the story, she denied having anything to do with it and said my dad wasn't there either. I remember being extraordinarily bummed about not getting a hotdog.

I remember it VIVIDLY. It was really weird, and I cannot WAIT to ask God one day when I get to heaven what the heck that was all about.

Those are my stories about my paranormal experiences. No crypto-zoological or creature stories. But JediPartner, your 1980 bigfoot experience, from what I've read and seen and heard, jives with other peoples BF encounters. Smell, lack of noise, etc.

Very cool thread.

Qui-Long Gone
12-14-2010, 09:52 PM
^Very cool stories....I can relate to strong feelings of presence when reading the Bible as a teen.

I don't have any experiences that I think would qualify for this thread. But once, I did have a VERY, VERY vivid dream about two men walking into our house as I was laying on the couch. I watched them pass by the living room window (lit by the porch light) and walk to the screen door (the main door was opened). I knew both of my parents were in their room just a few feet away but I was terrified....I suddenly woke up, laying on the couch in the exact same position and stared at the window (the drapes were opened). Fortunately, the door was shut and locked, but I didn't leave the couch for like an hour....

Lord Malakite
12-15-2010, 07:19 AM
I watched them pass by the living room window (lit by the porch light) and walk to the screen door (the main door was opened). I knew both of my parents were in their room just a few feet away but I was terrified....
Interesting, I've had a similar experience, minus it being a dream or me knowing that anyone was actually there. I tend to do quite a bit of night pacing and such being unable to sleep well. I went to the front door one night either last year or earlier this year (can't remember exactly when other than it was fairly recent) and leaned against the door to peak out the door window as I sometimes do. The door made a slight creaking sound when I leaned against it and the next thing I hear is some sort of loud "thunk" sound. It was too dark to see out the window since there are no post lights outside and I didn't really think anything of the sound (as the house tends to make creaking and popping sounds on a regular basis), so I went off and did some web surfing. Next morning there was a big commotion from my parents about how it looked like a one or two people had fallen off the porch because of some muddy foot,knee and hand prints in yard along with a knocked over flower pots (the long ways cement kind that can hold a row of 4 or 5 plants).

TeeEye7
12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Seriously? No one else has a real unexplained experience to relate here?

We are not alone.

Rocketboy
12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I always find myself watching those dumb@ss ghost hunting shows and always being greatly disappointed in them. I don't give a sh*t if they say something touched their ear or what they think they hear in a recording (which is proof of the power of suggestion) - give me some real proof, dammit!

I am a believer, as I've have two experiences.

1. When I was 14 or 15 I would occasionally babysit my neighbor's kids at their house. The house they lived in was the oldest in the neighborhood (I'd guess it was at least 100-years-old) and they told me for years that it was haunted, but I never believed them, thinking they were joking around and trying to scare me. They said most of the activity was in the small upstairs part of the house, where they'd see people at the top of the stairs, but I always shrugged it off since I'd been going over to that house for years and had never seen/heard anything. One night while babysitting, it was just me and their two kids watching tv in the living room, when I could very clearly hear someone walking up and down the stairs. Having walked up and down those stairs myself numerous times over the years I knew what they sounded like, and there was no mistaking the sound. I knew the back door was locked and I would have seen someone enter through the front, so I knew there was nobody else in that house. The kids were oblivious to the sound, and it probably only lasted 10-15 seconds, but it scared the sh*t out of me. That last hour or so before my neighbor got home was the longest hour of my life. I don't think I ever babysat for them again.

2. My Grandpa died in October 1996 and it hit me pretty hard. By mid-to-late late November I was still fairly upset, but I was getting over it. It was at this time I bought my Nintendo 64. As I unpacked the box and started hooking it up to my bedroom tv I could smell my grandpa's cologne and the smell was strong. At first I thought the bottle of his cologne my Mom had given me had tipped over and leaked, but the bottle was sitting upright on my self, the cap was tight and no leaks. It was tough to even smell it when you put your nose up to it. That was when I noticed that it felt like someone was in my room with me, which is a hard feeling to describe. This smell and this feeling didn't scare me in the slightest (I'd actually go so far as to call it comforting), because somehow I knew it was my Grandpa.
I don't know what why he came to me; perhaps to tell me goodbye or that he was okay and I would be too, but I look back on that day as the point where I began to stop grieving and started to move on.

And I guess there might be a third possible story...
My wife and I rented an apartment (in an old house that had been converted into three apartments) for a couple of years before we bought our house. From time to time the tv in the computer room and the lamp in the bedroom would turn on by themselves. The wiring in the apartment was really screwy, the tv was old and the lamp was a piece of sh*t, but I've never heard of things turning on when it came to electrical problems, so we joked it was a ghost. When we moved from that apartment to our house, they both stopped turning on by themselves. I still have no idea why it all happened, but the tv and lamp have since died and been trashed.

Ando
12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I just remembered 2 more:

- One night while sleeping, I had one of the worst dreams that I can remember. I was dreaming that I was in bed and being thrown about and tossed around by some unseen force while screaming obscenities at it to get it to stop. I was finally able to wake myself up, but it was pretty terrifying. This happened in the same apartment I mentioned in my earlier post.

- This one was rather cool and very, very subtle. This may seem like a lot of info for very little payoff, but I want to give some background on the location first... In Portland, OR. where I was born and raised, there are tunnels in the downtown area. These tunnels were built in the late 1800's by Chinese immigrants and were all interconnected because a lot of the businesses in Portland had underground storage areas. The reason they were built was because the Pacific NW gets a lot of rain and the streets in those days would turn to mud and it made it hard to load and unload ships with the heavy steel hand carts they used, so the tunnels were built.

In the sketchier part of town, trapdoors were built into the floors of some of the saloons and taverns so that the slave traders hiding in the tunnels could kidnap men and sell them to sea captains who were short on crew members.

When I was in HS, a teacher of mine told us about the tunnels because his father owned a store downtown and when he was a kid, he would go to work with his dad and go down and explore the tunnels. I forgot about this until 2002 when I was watching "Insomniac" with Dave Attell. Apparently some people had excavated the tunnels and were doing tours (http://www.portlandwalkingtours.com/tours/underground_portland.php).

I've done the tour twice now (once in 2003 with an ex gf who claims she saw a shadow where there shouldn't have been one and once in 2006 with my wife when we were first dating).

The last time I was on the tour, I smelled cigarette smoke. RICH, fresh, flavorul smoke from a LIT cigarette. I used to be (sometimes still am...) a smoker, and this was unlike anything I had smelled before. It smelled really good, almost (as I would imagine) as if it was from an earlier time.

We were underground, no one was smoking, and the bar/restaurant that we were directly under didn't allow smoking and even if they did, smoke RISES. It lasted maybe 3-5 seconds and then it was gone.

Supposedly, these tunnels are one of the most haunted locations on the West Coast and they have been featured on lots of shows including "Cities of the Underworld"'s series premiere episode featuring Portland. If you come to Portland, check it out. It's very cool, and unlike the Seattle Underground tour, it does NOT end in a gift shop.

I'd like to do the tour again in the next year or so, because it's been quite a while and I'd like to take some friends on it.

JEDIpartner
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Oh, I am totally loving the stories everyone is contributing to this thread!!! You guys rock!!!

My mother told me a story from when she was young. Mind you, this was back in the 1940s. She and her oldest sister were doing the laundry and happened to look up to the hallway door to see their middle sister's best friend standing there. They told the friend that their sister wasn't home and then said to wait 'cos mom's oldest sister would be right up. She got dried off and looked up and down the hall to find no one standing there. She went out the back and looked around and then the front-- still nothing. The middle sister came home a few hours later. They told her that her friend stopped by, but didn't stick around. The middle sister informed them that there was no way her friend stopped by as she had learnt in school that her friend was killed the previous evening near a train crossing.

Ando
12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Oh, I am totally loving the stories everyone is contributing to this thread!!! You guys rock!!!

You too, buddy. Thanks for such an interesting thread. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I've had a toilet flush by itself when I was in another room by myself in my non attached apartment. What the heck causes that other than someone physically pushing the lever?

InsaneJediGirl
12-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I've had a toilet flush by itself when I was in another room by myself in my non attached apartment. What the heck causes that other than someone physically pushing the lever?

We had the same thing happen to us when we lived in Florida. Happened almost constantly, which was weird. Gave up being scared and called whatever was happening the "Bathroom Fairy". Mind you, this happened after replacing the hardware inside the tank(thought the lever was faulty).

JEDIpartner
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Did you guys read the news stories about the UFO over Jerusalem?

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEOS AND READ THE NEWS STORY
(http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/31/5962284-jerusalem-videos-stir-ufo-buzz?GT1=43001)

Blue2th
02-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Did you guys read the news stories about the UFO over Jerusalem?

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEOS AND READ THE NEWS STORY
(http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/31/5962284-jerusalem-videos-stir-ufo-buzz?GT1=43001)

Wow! :eek: That second video is a shocker. It looks like some kinda probe from Star Trek.
Both videos reinforce each other. I'm flabergasted at this one.
Thanks for sharing JP.

Ando
02-01-2011, 02:14 PM
That's crazy!

JEDIpartner
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
There were all sorts of people saying this was a hoax. Well, if it was a hoax, it was a really well executed hoax that was witnessed and filmed by quite a few people-- and from different angles and distances as well!!

I was really quite fascinated by this story in that it wasn't an incident that was captured by one camera. I'm interested in following this story. Please post any updates if you see any! I will do the same.

Blue2th
02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to think how they could possibly fake this one.
A winch on a helicopter? How could they hoist it up so fast though?

Curious that it was right over the Dome of the Rock. If I was.. err, superstitious I'd think it was an angel encouraging his followers to continue to seek freedom like they are in that area all over the place.

At least it would "appear" that way. Hmm crafty. :lipsrsealed:

Phantom-like Menace
02-02-2011, 12:50 AM
It's a baby Mothman!

It's clearly Gollum.

JEDIpartner
02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm trying to think how they could possibly fake this one.
A winch on a helicopter? How could they hoist it up so fast though?

Curious that it was right over the Dome of the Rock. If I was.. err, superstitious I'd think it was an angel encouraging his followers to continue to seek freedom like they are in that area all over the place.

At least it would "appear" that way. Hmm crafty. :lipsrsealed:

Or... it was aliens saying, "hey, God created us too. Suck it, humans!" LOL

Darth Cruel
02-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Two stories I would like to add. Keep in mind that I do not believe in the supernatural. But it is fun fiction just the same. And these two stories make me understand how people can come to believe.

- I used to live in a studio apartment with a girl I was seeing at the time. Frequently...30 times or more over the two years (more or less) that we lived there, we would awake at various times of the night to find the walk-in closet door opened and the light on. We eventually talked about it and found that we were both finding this condition and we made it a point to make sure the door was closed and the light off together before we went to bed. There was one night when I woke up three times to find that door opened and the light on despite my turning them off each time I got up. (personally, I believe one of us was sleep-walking)

- This one I think I posted a long time ago on this forum...but I can not be sure...When I was in the Marine Corps, my platoon was sent to be the aggressors (bad guys) for a small unit tactics school. We were split up into our three squads and sent to different areas to work against the shool. After the training day ended, we went "admin" which was just basically free time in the field.
The squad that I was with set up a makeshift squad tent across a jeep trail at the foot of a small hill. One of the other two squads ended the traing day near us and set their tent up across the jeep trail at the top of that same small hill. We made a fire at our tent, on the side facing the other tent and ate and BS'd for quite a while. Late into the night there were only two of us left. Me and a guy named Guenther. I heard some noises coming from the tent at the top of the hill and I tried to figure out who it was. I heard the noise go down the hill to our left as I looked up at the tent, and then go back up to the tent. I figured it was a Marine from that tent who had to make a head call. But then, the noise started moving around the tent. It was grassy around the tent except where the jeep trail was and I heard movement through the grass going around the back of the tent. When the noise came out to the side of the tent that I could see by our firelight, I could not see anything making the noise. I thought it might be a wild boar or a snake that I could not see in the grass, but when the noise stopped at the jeep trail, and started up again on the other side, I did not see anything cross the trail. I told Guenther (who had not noticed anything because he was busy talking to me) to watch and we both watched as the noise made it's way around the tent at the top of the hill again. And again, when the noise came around the front of the tent, neither of us saw anything cross the trail. We decided it was bedtime and we hurried into our tent.
The next day, after the training was done, we got into a truck and went to pick up the nearby squad that had been in the tent at the top of the hill. We told them what we saw and we all laughed and joked because one of their guys told us he had a strange dream the previous night. He told us he woke up to find a demonic face floating above him as he lay in his sleeping bag. He swung his open hand at it and it backed away and then came close again as he pulled his hand back. He laughed at it and told it he knew he was dreaming. He said he checked his watch and went back to sleep. His watch said 1:15 AM.
When we picked up the third squad and were headed back to base, we thought the coincidences of the night before were a cool enough story to tell the third squad and so we did so jokingly. But they didn't laugh. Instead, they all looked like they were about to mess their underwear. Then they told us that their squad leader was a former Satanist and he was teaching them how to summon demons the night before. They were jokingly sending them to mess with the members of the second squad. And they said they were doing it at about 1:15 AM.

Ando
02-02-2011, 07:07 PM
...But they didn't laugh. Instead, they all looked like they were about to mess their underwear. Then they told us that their squad leader was a former Satanist and he was teaching them how to summon demons the night before. They were jokingly sending them to mess with the members of the second squad. And they said they were doing it at about 1:15 AM.

Yikes dude. That's some scary s***.

masterväder
02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
i think the biggest mysteri in wordl is women lol amirite teht sumtimes omg just be so wierd, u know lmao lol

JEDIpartner
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Here's another story (http://oddnews.yahoo.com/video-odd-news-24057563). This one comes from Utah. No, I don't think this has anything to do with the Mormons, Mr. Garrison. :rolleyes:

Yikes dude. That's some scary s***.

No doubt!!!

Ando
02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Nice avatar, JP.

JEDIpartner
02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Nice avatar, JP.

You caught that, eh? :) I got tired of Jemima and wanted to butch it up a bit with some Christopher Chance. :thumbsup:

Ando
03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I did. It's one of our favorite shows. It actually sort of ruined Chuck for us.

I just ordered season 1 on DVD from Amazon.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I think I'm going to have to start a Human Target thread for us... LOL

OK, so the British government released a bunch of documents regarding their UFO cases over the last 20 or 30 years. I find that rather fascinating and intend on downloading some of the case files.

It's been kinda big in the news the last couple of days!!

CLICK HERE FOR THE NEWS STORY ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41887728/ns/technology_and_science-space/)

Ando
03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Cool article.

Here's a You Tube channel that posts clips from LIVE streaming NASA video showing anomalies. Be patient, they aren't super obvious, but they are VERY interesting: http://www.youtube.com/user/NWOrDREGS

JEDIpartner
03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I subscribed to that guy's channel!! Thanks for the heads up.

BTW-- Human Target thread in the TV section!!

Ando
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
You're welcome!

Nice!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't know if this is truly "extraterrestrial" in nature, but NASA has put a robot in space, named after a certain spunky astromech droid:

R2 helps space program (http://robonaut.jsc.nasa.gov/default.asp)

masterväder
03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
whoda thought that nasa was full of nerds? lol

JEDIpartner
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Something groovy was posted on the 'net this morning. I'll have to go find it the whole article. :thumbsup:
(http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/ufo-sighting-spooks-colorado-town-24686978)

JEDIpartner
03-29-2011, 10:35 AM
ABC News Video (http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/ufo-sighting-spooks-colorado-town-24686978)
ColoradoDaily Article (http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_17692697?source=most_viewed#axzz1HzzZrUok)

Triangular formation of lights appears over Lafayette, Colorado. FAA refuses to comment on the sighting.

Aliens are coming to a city near you.

Or, at least they're surveying Boulder County as a future landing zone, according to several Lafayette residents.

Three red lights in a triangle were spotted hovering in the sky by several Lafayette residents Monday around 8:30 p.m. The sky was clear, but witnesses could not see anything connecting the lights.

Leroy Vandervegt, 50, has lived in Lafayette for the past 16 years. His 17-year-old son, Nick, spotted the lights on his way home from work and called his father. Leroy Vandervegt grabbed his camera, ran outside and looked up. He began filming. Sure enough, he too saw three red lights. Aliens? Maybe.

"I don't know what they are," Leroy Vandervegt said. "All I know is that I had no idea what it is. It wasn't a satellite, it wasn't an airplane and it wasn't a helicopter."

The lights made no noise, Vandervegt said, and seemed to hover in the sky while moving slowly from southwest to southeast. They didn't blink. The lights remained in a triangular shape, but the type of triangle changed from equilateral to isosceles to scalene.

Then, the triangle began moving toward the northeast sky when one light extinguished, or zoomed away. The remaining two lights "just turned off and were gone," he said.

Denver International Airport officials declined to comment on the sighting. But Allen Kenitzer, the Federal Aviation Administration's spokesman for the Rocky Mountain region, said his staff didn't see anything out of the ordinary Monday night.

"To the best of our knowledge, radar returns showed no abnormal unidentified activity within our airspace in references to the three triangular formation red lights as being reported," Kenitzer said in an e-mail.

Leroy Vandervegt posted his video to YouTube and his since gotten more than 6,000 views and nearly 50 comments.

His brother, Alex Lankhorst, was visiting Lafayette from Salina, Kan. The video he posted of the lights has received more than 8,000 views. Lankhorst said the description of "unidentified flying object" made sense in this situation -- no one could identify the object in the sky.

Doug Wilson is the Colorado director for the Greeley-based Mutual UFO Network, an organization that strives to learn the origin of UFO phenomena through the collection and analysis of UFO data. Wilson received four reports of the UFO sighting and is sending investigators to the scene.

"It's unusual for us to have a single event with multiple reports," Wilson said. "It's not just somebody pulling our leg."

Wilson said three red lights in a triangle is a common pattern for UFOs.

Joe Valadez, 47, also posted a video to YouTube of the lights in the sky. Some of the commenters on Valadez's video were skeptical. One user, Lonnie Sexton, 33, wrote: "I want proof as bad as the next guy, but these are just hot air candle balloons folks."

Sexton, of Broomfield, said he would like to believe that there are other life forms in the universe, but nothing he has seen online has convinced him.

"It's always kind of iffy," he said in an interview. "With graphics these days, you can't believe everything you see on the Internet."

Sexton slowed down the video and enhanced it to get a better look. A more plausible explanation, he said, are Japanese lanterns "like in the Karate Kid" -- floating flags or plastic bags with small candles underneath.

"There's always a better explanation," Sexton said. "If alien species were to descend somewhere, why would they just hover? They would let us know they were here."

Valadez said he too wanted a logical explanation for the sighting, but he couldn't come up with one. For now, he and other witnesses will have to settle on the unknown.

"It's just weird," he said. "I'm skeptical, but it's unexplainable. I believe in certain stuff, but I'm not a UFO nerd or whatever. I'm not really sure it was aliens; I just wonder what it was."

Blue2th
03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Well they're unidentified, that makes them you know what. :)

Blue Oyster Cult "Take me away"

Strange shapes light up the night
I've never seen 'em though I hope I might
Don't ask if they are real
The men in black, their lips are sealed

Fantasy fills my mind
To leave this place before my time
Release myself from earthly care
My dream may be your nightmare

Chorus:I turn my hopes up to the sky
I'd like to know before I die
Memories will slowly fade
I lift my eyes and say
Come on take me away
Come on take me away

Come here girl close to me
A thousand stars your eyes can see
First one we see tonight
I wish I may I wish I might

Chorus:
Jam
Chorus:
I lift my eyes and say
Come on take me away

edit: Hey I just made it to 4.000 in nearly meaningless in the grand scheme of things posts! :crazed:

Ando
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Denver International Airport is a creepy place in and of itself. I've never been there, but I've heard stories and seen shows about it.

JEDIpartner
03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Really? I didn't know that there was anything weird surrounding that airport. :eek:

Now, I do have to admit how disappointed I was when I sought out that Bigfoot footage that recently came up in... North Carolina? It was clearly fake and was later reported to be fake. Phooey. :upset:

Ando
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
There's just a lot of conspiracy theories about Denver International.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&q=denver+international+airport+conspiracy&aq=3&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=denver+interna&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=306ff18b2f1a3a6b

Jesse Ventura's "Conspiracy Theory" show on TruTV did an episode about it. Lots of weird murals and underground tunnels and such. People have reported feeling ill when they are there.

Blue2th
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
There's just a lot of conspiracy theories about Denver International.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&q=denver+international+airport+conspiracy&aq=3&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=denver+interna&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=306ff18b2f1a3a6b

Jesse Ventura's "Conspiracy Theory" show on TruTV did an episode about it. Lots of weird murals and underground tunnels and such. People have reported feeling ill when they are there.
Saw that. The murals are weird. The interesting thing was the amount of dirt piled up. Too much to justify the construction of just above ground facilities I assume.
You have to remember that the Rockies are for the most part a mile high in elevation and if anything were to happen at or near to sea level, the Rockies are the choice of many contingency plans. That's just logic, but it makes you wonder what they know that you don't know.
Us commoners in that case would probably not be able to reach safety. Much like "2012" where the rich and important were the only ones who could.
Hope I got a fat one I can smoke and some "high" ground on that day. ;)

JEDIpartner
03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for posting that! I had no idea about all those conspiracy theories. :)

El Chuxter
03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Feh. That stuff about the Denver Airport is rubbish. I've only been there once, but I saw it with my own eyes. As the plane was taking off, a bunch of giant bees wearing swastikas on their arms flew out of a hole in the ground and started stinging the plane, chanting, "The Maya apocalypse is upon the non-reptoids!" Thankfully, someone cried out, "Help us, Jesus," and Jesus flew in with a jetpack and chased them away with a watergun. I asked Him why He needed a jetpack, and He said, "Dude, just because I'm the son of God doesn't mean I don't think jetpacks are awesome!" Then we landed, and several robots were taking medical supplies into a secret panel in one of the murals.

But, really, the place looks nothing like a swastika. I swear, these tinfoil hat sort of folks get on my nerves with their paranoid lies.

JEDIpartner
03-31-2011, 01:38 PM
I think I'm going to start calling you "El Chupacabra" from now on. LOL

El Chuxter
03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
The correct term is "el chupacabras," since it's literally "the sucker of goats," with "goats" being plural. :p But common usage has made it "chupacabra."

On a side note, I 100% believe in the chupacabra. I'm not kidding. No, not the stupid flying insect man from Latin America, the one you'd have to be severely brain-damaged to believe in. But I believe there's enough evidence of the American creature that goes by the same name to deduce it is an undiscovered breed of dog or coyote, perhaps a crossbreed of the Mexican hairless dog and the coyote, or even a previously unknown type of canid. Multiple videos of the thing and more corpses than I can count seem pretty compelling. The DNA test results that they've got only prove they're dogs or canines, not that they're a documented breed.

JEDIpartner
04-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Yes, I have faith that the North American version does exist in some fashion. I think that lizard humanoid thing from Latin America is kinda fascinating, but clearly not possible.

El Chuxter
04-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Found this site (http://skeptoid.com/) as a result of the search page Ando linked to above. And have been wasting too much time reading the episodes (it's quicker to read than listen). Even if I don't always 100% agree with the dude, he's entertaining, and does a pretty good job of debunking a lot of the weirder theories.

I've also found from searching that there are a lot of people who believe some really insane things, and a lot of folks who will put too much stock in anecdotes from a hundred years or so ago. Or people who simply refuse to believe the Montauk monster is anything but a decayed raccoon corpse because that's obviously misinformation that our secret reptoid masters from the Cretaceous or another planet (depending on which wackjob you're reading) want us to believe.

Y'know what might be fun? Let's start a running list of various unexplained phenomenon, briefly stating our own thoughts on them are. I'll start; the next person takes my list, adds whatever (s)he wants, and so on.

Alien life: Highly likely.
Alien life visiting Earth: Possible. I'm unwilling to totally rule it out, but it seems somewhat unlikely.
Alien abductions: Nope. I've heard two theories that explain the phenomenon in totally mundane ways: a form of night terrors and the buried memories of the moments after birth. Given that the phenomenon can be reproduced pretty accurately in lab conditions, and that period immediately after birth would involve indistinct humanoids (since babies can't see clearly) and a lot of poking with needles, some combination of the two seems more likely.
Ghosts: Yes. I don't think they need to be feared, at least in any case I've experienced or heard about, but there's something, whether some residual psychic energy or actual spirits trapped on Earth for whatever reason.
Atlantis: Nope. It only comes from Plato's writings, and the story bears an incredible resemblance to the stories of Troy. Maybe with a little bit of Minoa and Santorini thrown in.
Cattle mutilations: Nope. Been replicated with 100% accuracy and proven to be the result of insects.
El Chupacabras: Like I said before, the weird flying thing, no way. The dog (or doglike creature) in Texas, absolutely.
Ancient astronauts: No. These stories are downright insulting to human ingenuity. And, c'mon, the ancient Greeks could make a freakin' computer and the Aztecs built a floating city, so the ancients were a lot smarter than a lot of folks give them credit for.
Bigfoot: Highly unlikely. Not impossible, and there is an incredible amount of folklore about the things, not to mention the Paterson/Gimli video would have to be the greatest hoax ever executed if it's a clear "no," but an ape of any sort escaping notice altogether in such a wide variety of climates just isn't likely.
Yeti: Far more likely than Bigfoot, but still not fully convinced. But I'd be far less surprised to read an article tomorrow that they caught one.
Orang-pendek: The most likely hominid/ape cryptid, since we have evidence something like it was alive quite recently in the same place (Homo florensis, AKA the hobbit).
Sea serpents: Probably the most likely crytid, simply because of the size of the oceans. Could be a snake, a fish, or a whale (Basilosaurus definitely would fit the bill, if something like it survived to the present). I seriously doubt river and lake monsters could sustain breeding populations in such small bodies of water, though.
Mothman: Nope. Pretty cool book, though. (I understand the movie sucks, but the book is quite well-written, even if you don't buy a word of it.)
The Jersey Devil: Nope, nope, nope, a thousand times nope.
The Montauk Monster: Absolutely. Poor little raccoon. :(
The Illuminati: No. The story's just too full of holes... or is that what "they" want me to think?
Freemason conspiracy: No. I have two uncles who are high-ranking Freemasons. I love 'em to death, but, take my word for it, they aren't running anything.

sonofsokol
04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Found this site (http://skeptoid.com/) as a result of the search page Ando linked to above. And have been wasting too much time reading the episodes (it's quicker to read than listen). Even if I don't always 100% agree with the dude, he's entertaining, and does a pretty good job of debunking a lot of the weirder theories.

Well there went any productivity for me today...

JimJamBonds
04-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Here is another one for you boys, its all about the weird stuff that happens in my homeland, the Dairy State, aka Wisconsin.
http://www.w-files.com

Ando
04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Freemason conspiracy: No. I have two uncles who are high-ranking Freemasons. I love 'em to death, but, take my word for it, they aren't running anything.

HA! My Dad is a Mason, too. If there's a worldwide conspiracy, he's not in on it.

Blue2th
04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Alien life: Yes, there's too much space out there for just us

Alien life visiting Earth: Yes, I do think they visit here. What they are who they are is up for interpretation. God and angels, devils are not human therefore they must be other beings.

Ghosts: Yes. I have heard stories from my relatives about family members long gone visiting. Even grandchildren of those relatives who never knew them.

Atlantis: Yes, I think there is some basis to truth about this place. Technology of the age was ahead of it's time simply because spirits (superior beings) could materialize before it was destroyed in the great flood.

Cattle mutilations: Why?

El Chupacabras:I have heard first hand accounts of something from my Mexican friends.

Ancient astronauts: Yes, in that there were superior beings here at one time with technology not understood by primitive man.

Bigfoot: Possible some holdback from the Ice age like Neanderthal might still be around.

Orang-pendek: ???

Sea serpents: Yes, so much unexplored things possibly in the water we haven't discovered yet.

Mothman: I liked the movie with Richard Gere, and the X-Files episode, and like Mulder "I want to believe"

The Jersey Devil: ? More research needed.

The Montauk Monster: ? More research needed.

The Illuminati: Yes, or someone like them trying to dominate the world. I'd like to believe they are Reptilians (another conspiracy theory out there) as they are just as cold blooded.

JEDIpartner
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Has anyone started watching Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet? It started with a special preview episode on Monday night, but is airing on Sunday evenings at 10:00pm EST. I enjoyed the first episode because they approached a lot of it with some skepticism. There was one total "Mulder" on the team, but the rest were pretty objective. Matt Moneymaker at point even said that one of the alleged witnesses of a sighting wasn't credible because none of the physical details he described matched ANYTHING other witnesses had ever reported. He easily led the witness in other directions in the description. I enjoyed that they seemed pretty serious about this and were willing to debunk the reports if possible.

FINDING BIGFOOT on Animal Planet (http://animal.discovery.com/tv/finding-bigfoot/bigfoot-evidence/)

BIGFOOT FIELD RESEARCHERS ORGANISATION (www.bfro.net)-- Matt Moneymaker's site.

Maradona
06-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Bigfoot: The Definitive Guide on the History Channel was well put together. I recommend it.

JEDIpartner
06-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I've actually seen that. :)

It seems like the Finding Bigfoot people have been making a tour of the south. The were in Georgia last week, Florida this week and will be in North Carolina next week.

I actually wanted to go on their expedition of Wayne National Forest in southern Ohio a couple years ago, but couldn't fit it into my schedule. That could've been fun!

JEDIpartner
06-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I was thinking lens flare, but I dunno...

UFO over London? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AouX-nWvv4)

JimJamBonds
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Has anyone started watching Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet? It started with a special preview episode on Monday night, but is airing on Sunday evenings at 10:00pm EST. I enjoyed the first episode because they approached a lot of it with some skepticism. There was one total "Mulder" on the team, but the rest were pretty objective. Matt Moneymaker at point even said that one of the alleged witnesses of a sighting wasn't credible because none of the physical details he described matched ANYTHING other witnesses had ever reported. He easily led the witness in other directions in the description. I enjoyed that they seemed pretty serious about this and were willing to debunk the reports if possible.

FINDING BIGFOOT on Animal Planet (http://animal.discovery.com/tv/finding-bigfoot/bigfoot-evidence/)

BIGFOOT FIELD RESEARCHERS ORGANISATION (http://www.bfro.net)-- Matt Moneymaker's site.When I saw this thread I was going to post about that show, I find it pretty laughable, and pretty much a total joke. It seems that most everything ends up being evidence of a bigfoot, have they ever said some sort of evidence isn't from a 'foot?

JEDIpartner
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
When I saw this thread I was going to post about that show, I find it pretty laughable, and pretty much a total joke. It seems that most everything ends up being evidence of a bigfoot, have they ever said some sort of evidence isn't from a 'foot?

Actually, they have said (on a couple episodes) that they didn't think a couple witnesses were credible or thought that they were making stuff up. The girl (Renae?) is always saying that there isn't enough proof about evidence they obtain or are shown and I totally love her for that. There was only one episode where they found a footprint and she was actually stunned. LOL

JEDIpartner
07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
This was interesting: An ocean exploration team led by Swedish researcher Peter Lindberg has found what some are suggesting is a crashed flying saucer. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43945692/?GT1=43001)

VIDEO ONLY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHE5816_XY)

JEDIpartner
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Chu-pa-cab-ras!!!!

Caught on video? (http://tv.yahoo.com/daytime/video/chupacabra-captured/26090386/)

El Chuxter
08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow, that woman was annoying. Just because the "Talk Soup" formula worked once, doesn't mean it works every time.

It would've been helpful if she'd mentioned where this took place.

JEDIpartner
08-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Righto!!! :thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
This was interesting: An ocean exploration team led by Swedish researcher Peter Lindberg has found what some are suggesting is a crashed flying saucer. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43945692/?GT1=43001)

VIDEO ONLY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHE5816_XY)

Maybe it's one of the discs the Nazis were working on?
http://www.eyepod.org/Nazi-Disc-Photos.html

JEDIpartner
10-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Massive UFO seen in Adelaide South Australia followed by arrival of military jet
(http://www.examiner.com/unexplained-phenomena-in-national/massive-ufo-seen-adelaide-south-australia-followed-by-arrival-of-military-jet)CLICK HERE TO READ THE STORY (http://www.examiner.com/unexplained-phenomena-in-national/massive-ufo-seen-adelaide-south-australia-followed-by-arrival-of-military-jet)

I found this to be an interesting story. I become really interested anytime I read about a strange light that is soon followed by the appearance of military craft.

JEDIpartner
10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh, my God... I'm freaking out!!!! :eek:

YIKES!!!! (http://news.yahoo.com/cyclops-shark-other-cryptic-creatures-october-creepy-113008213.html)

Apparently, they caught a shark and removed a fetal shark from its mother... and it's a cyclops shark!!! GAHHHHH!!! :hopelessness:

El Chuxter
10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Go to cracked.com and look up "The 6 Most Mind-Blowing Things Ever Caught by Fishermen."

Bel-Cam Jos
10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Meh. I'm waiting for the Tri-Octopus, where the illegitimate son of a galactic despot has a cephalopod with three eyes. Even better if it makes it into the water show at Hologram Fun World.

El Chuxter
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Bel-Cam, I should personally shoot you for that. Even mentioning any of that tripe* is illegal in 49 states. (Anything goes in Missouri when it comes to bad Star Wars fiction.) If not for gorgeous art by Drew Struzan and Karl Kesel, all copies of those books would've been confiscated and burned, provided the fire wasn't scared of sullying itself.

*--Everything except Zorba the Hutt. That fatcat's AWESOME, yo!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2011, 12:51 AM
What, me make an EU allusion of such horror? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (like this tri-roll-eyes smiley?)

El Chuxter
10-19-2011, 01:09 AM
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! (http://nooooooooooooooo.com/)

JEDIpartner
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Here's my oddball discovery of the day: Yonaguni Underwater City (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/09/070919-sunken-city.html) off the coast of Japan.

Apparently, there are animal monuments and a Sphinx-like monument down there.

Photos and stuff... (http://www.grahamhancock.com/gallery/underwater/yonaguni.htm)

Maradona
10-23-2011, 03:40 AM
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-braz-alien-rainforest

sith_killer_99
10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Oh, my God... I'm freaking out!!!! :eek:

YIKES!!!! (http://news.yahoo.com/cyclops-shark-other-cryptic-creatures-october-creepy-113008213.html)

Apparently, they caught a shark and removed a fetal shark from its mother... and it's a cyclops shark!!! GAHHHHH!!! :hopelessness:

ALBINO, cyclops shark!

JEDIpartner
12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Not really paranormal, but did you see the story about the "walk-topus" (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/video-octopus-crawls-water-walks-dry-land-150510810.html)?

If any of you watch Doctor Who, I think this is the genesis of the Ood. LOL

Maradona
12-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Not really paranormal, but did you see the story about the "walk-topus" (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/video-octopus-crawls-water-walks-dry-land-150510810.html)?

If any of you watch Doctor Who, I think this is the genesis of the Ood. LOL

Perhaps related to the famous tree octopus?

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

JimJamBonds
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I think the dwarf orca truly needs our help.
http://www.dwarforca.com/

El Chuxter
03-21-2012, 01:33 AM
I believe in De Loys' Ape....

...or, rather, in the power of that photo of the purported "De Loys' Ape" to eat your soul!!

JEDIpartner
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the Voynich manuscript (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript)? I hadn't heard of it before my partner came home the other day and asked me about it. Apparently, one of his colleagues is obsessed with it.

El Chuxter
03-21-2012, 12:19 PM
I've heard of it. I rather like the explanation put forth on Skeptoid (http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4252): essentially a marketing tool.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Anybody burn out their retinas, er see the solar eclipse, today? In my backyard, the tree leaves let the sunlight through in shapes just like the 'C' crescents. Awesome!

El Chuxter
05-21-2012, 01:57 AM
I forgot about it and fell asleep (slightly under the weather). Woke up and noticed the sky was unnaturally dark, so I remembered and rushed to get Chux Jr out to see it.

Total change of pace, but have any of you ever watched Ancient Aliens on The History Channel (or one of its spinoffs)? That show is AWEFULSOME! It is seriously the funniest show on TV, and I can't tell for sure if the people making it are mocking the moronic "experts" or trying to play it straight and the "experts" are just so insane that they make themselves look bad? You can't find this many logical holes in a Michael Bay movie.

Actual "logic" from a recent episode: ancient peoples built temples near volcanoes, and believed in volcano gods, so, clearly, aliens live in volcanoes! (Nothing to do with people being afraid of mountains that will spit fire at you seemingly at random.)

Actual quote from another episode, I kid you not: "If you take this passage and replace the word 'angel' with 'alien,' you have a record of an ancient alien encounter!" (On a related note, if I replace the word 'angel' in the same passage with 'ice cream sandwich,' some prophet just had a tasty frozen dessert.)

Maradona
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Total change of pace, but have any of you ever watched Ancient Aliens on The History Channel (or one of its spinoffs)? That show is AWEFULSOME! It is seriously the funniest show on TV, and I can't tell for sure if the people making it are mocking the moronic "experts" or trying to play it straight and the "experts" are just so insane that they make themselves look bad? You can't find this many logical holes in a Michael Bay movie.

I love that show! It is so much fun. The most recent new episode dealt with dinosaurs. You have got to see it. The Da Vinci episode was also worth seeing.

JEDIpartner
05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Anybody burn out their retinas, er see the solar eclipse, today? In my backyard, the tree leaves let the sunlight through in shapes just like the 'C' crescents. Awesome!

I love it when that happens!! We had a total eclipse back int he 90s and there was construction going on at the plaza where I worked. They had circles in the iron beam-work and you could view the eclipse by looking at the shadows cast on the ground. That or I used defective laserdiscs to view directly and that worked beautifully!

As for television shows, I still love Fact or Faked: The Paranormal Files 'cos they tend to debunk most of the things they investigate.

El Chuxter
05-22-2012, 12:12 PM
There's the skeptic scientist who was on Monsterquest a lot, this dude with glasses and a mohawk. They had him on some of the earliest Ancient Aliens episodes, but I have to think the crazy guys refused to come back if they didn't get rid of him completely defenestrating everything they'd said with only a couple of words.

Speaking of which, Monsterquest is another of the most ridiculous shows ever. They had an episode about non-native snakes in Florida, and kept trying to hint about cobras mating with Burmese pythons and creating giant super-cobras, which is so impossible it doesn't even bear mentioning, and they continually interviewed scientists and were clearly cutting them off right before they said something like, "But that would be like an elephant mating with a hamster and having tiny elephant babies that like to run on hamster wheels."

There was another episode where they had some imbecile hunting black bears in what was clearly a subdivision built in the middle of existing black bear habitat, where bears were getting into dumpsters, then talked about the extinct giant short-faced bear in Alaska, and somehow came to the conclusion from these two unrelated points that the giant short-faced bear had survived the last ice age and would attack people.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Wow! Two opportunities to damage our eyesight staring at the sun, all within a month or so? Sweet! I didn't really see this Transit of Venus live, but on web feeds; I'll just wait for the next one. :2117: :o

TeeEye7
07-09-2012, 04:52 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

It was 65 years ago today that aliens visited Roswell, New Mexico in either a flying saucer or weather balloon!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Hey, they can start getting Social Security now!

Maradona
07-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Should be a good episode of Coast to Coast tonight, but it's been downhill since Art Bell left.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Here's a scientific article, about a newly-named creature, it is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/yoda-purpurata-acorn-worm_n_1943472.html