PDA

View Full Version : I got the Separatist Droid Gunship!

Tycho
12-13-2010, 05:45 PM
My Separatist Droid Gunship arrived today from Hasbro Toy Shop!

I plan to open it later, but it looks awesome. I really wanted this to complete my Kashyyyk battle scene.

The back of the box shows the front module separates and a Battle Droid can fly off in it. With the rest of the ship essentially being a saucer, I wonder if they can recycle most parts to this and create Hondo Ohnaka's Rapier-One?

I'd buy that, too!

Anyway, it feels great getting my Separatists more firepower.

I only ordered one of these (for the Kashyyyk movie scene). It sort of disappoints that I don't have a reason to fleet-build with it, but it's also nice to have a unique toy in my collection, like the Turbo Tank also is.

Snowtrooper
12-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm awaiting mine from an HTS order, which should arrive any day now. I agree that, while a rather neat vehicle, its not really "fleet building" worthy like an AT-AT or TIE Fighter.

Tycho
12-14-2010, 02:14 AM
I never fleet built with the AT-AT, even back in 1999 or was it 2000? Toys R Us actually sold through a pile of AT-ATs for $10 each!!!

I was there and didn't buy 1 of them. A friend and fellow diorama enthusiast bought 10, to spend $100 total. The '98 AT-AT originally debuted at $80 back in the day.

My Battle of Hoth diorama is set for a 6 foot "terranium style" display case. The 1998 AT-AT fits in there, with ONE AT-ST and the Probot. Imperial snowtroopers are debarking and facing Hoth Rebel Soldiers on the vintage Turret / Probot Playset, and Imperial Attack Base. Luke's 1996 Snowspeeder is crashed with Luke stepping out (Dead Dak in the back). Wedge and his co-pilots are flying two more 1996 snowspeeders, suspended by fishing wire.

I believe "less is more." I got the point across by designing this display.

For Kashyyyk - the ONLY display I have planned with the Droid Gunship, it, along with 2 Corporate Alliance Tank Droids, perhaps the camaouflaged Hailfire variant (because I bought that not knowing if the Tank Droid or other Separatist vehicles would ever get done), along with a Homing Spider Droid and the Dwarf Spider Droid will comprise the invaders. I only need that ONE Droid Gunship!

The Separatists face one Turbotank, one AT-AP, two AT-RTs, the Swamp Speeder (if I can fit it in), and the Wookiee flyer - though I'd like to purchase a 2nd Wookiee flyer since the display IS representing Kashyyyk - which is why I also want Hasbro to make the Wookiee Catamaran - that last Wookiee vehicle being the final thing I'd add to this display (with Wookiees, Kashyyyk Scout Trooper Clones, and Battle Droids fighting in the infantry on the surface of course.

I haven't moved the display case for Kashyyyk home (out of storage) yet, but look forward to setting this one up and seeing what fits. It's the swamp speeder that I'm not a big fan of though I bought 2 - one is for Hondo Ohnaka's tank stand-in. A swamp speeder is (very remotely) similar to the vehicle JarJar crashes on Florrum.

Finally to close, I'm just not excited by toys as much as I used to be. I don't plan to open my gunship tonight. I've been working, editing my novel, and now I think I'll probably get ready for bed, but see if I don't want to go out to Denny's (it's after midnight). The gunship will have to wait.

The Space Outlaw
01-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I've been wanting one to evaluate as a possible army-builder in Cobra colors for my Joe-verse.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Has anybody seen this wave of vehicles (Droid Gunship, Tri-Fighter, Xanadu Blood, Plo's Starfighter) at retail? I haven't seen any traces of them, so I'm wondering if I should order them from HTS or just wait.

DarkJedi5
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Has anybody seen this wave of vehicles (Droid Gunship, Tri-Fighter, Xanadu Blood, Plo's Starfighter) at retail? I haven't seen any traces of them, so I'm wondering if I should order them from HTS or just wait.

Hadn't seen hide nor hair and since Target is jacking the prices up I figured what the heck and got the gunship on HTS and it arrived about a week after I ordered it. Honestly, it's a nice piece but it didn't blow me away.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Hmm. I ended up just getting them. They're on display at Toy Fair, but seem to be absent from the slideshow (along with any other vehicles in this price range). Odd.

mtriv73
02-14-2011, 12:31 PM

A friend of mine saw the Xanadu Blood last week at a Target in MD, but he didn't metion the others.

masterväder
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
oh mn i love the speratists my step-dd sez tht the did teh write thing lik the suth in usa. he sez th suth shuld have gotten independezy. he gve me a texas hat i love it. :lipsrsealed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I finally saw this and the Tri-Fighter at Target today, and I've seen Xanadu Blood once or twice and Plo's Starfighter several times. At least they're finally getting out there.

JediTricks
04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Finally saw one at Target, they had just put out a fresh case. Even though it was $30, I bought it, but this probably will be among the last "impulse buy" Starfighter Vehicles I get, because the price doesn't match the quality of the product, and Target & TRU (the only stores around here that generally stock them in a timely fashion) have been jacking up prices lately to an obscene point.

The first thing that struck me about the gunship upon taking it out of the box is how insanely small it seems -the tray is small, and the vehicle is somewhat disassembled. Oh, and a note about the tray, take extreme caution in removing EVERYTHING from the tray, this vehicle has a lot of parts with thin things that have been passed through cardboard, trying to force it will definitely break ball-turret guns, manidbles, and missiles.

The second thing that struck me about the gunship is that it's desperate for paint weathering, without it and with that pic on the box, it feels pretty plain. There isn't even "weathering by absence" on the darker paint areas, it's "fresh out of the factory" which makes it seem really plastic and simple, despite some good sculpting and even an otherwise-decent paint job. There's too much sculpted detail also not getting served, the areas next to the winglets are mechanical and would look slick with some silver or blackwash accents, but without they just look like extruded plastic. This is the first time I've gotten a SW Hasbro vehicle that still felt like an unfinished model, there's just too many empty flat panels on this vehicle design that are haunted by plainness because on the movie model they were still plain but covered in grime.

The finished vehicle is roughly the same footprint as the new Snowspeeder, but significantly thinner, so the vehicle is lighter and notably less mass. The cockpit is offensively small, it is so small inside that it cannot fit a movie-line Battle Droid figure, it can only fit a Clone Wars BD! The seat is narrow, the footwell is very narrow, but the top is really where it's a problem, it's too narrow for any other normal-height figure's shoulders. What's the point of having a removable cockpit pod for flight and escape if the only figure inside is the most disposable character in the whole of Star Wars? You could fit a small figure, I got Season 3 Ahsoka in there comfortably, but absolutely no Anakins or Obi-Wans, which limits creative adventure play. The problem is that the movie droid/vehicle is roughly the length of an X-wing, while this toy is about half to even a 3rd of that, and while the movie version didn't have a cockpit, adding them to these droids adds a lot of play value, but not when you make the cockpit nigh-unusable.

Bottom line, the cockpit makes this the first vehicle that can ONLY accept Clone Wars figures, and that's just unacceptable in my book, part of the charm of these CW vehicles is crossover appeal.

Another small issue with the cockpit is that, while it's well-sculpted with detail, they painted a dashboard display and it's incredibly thick, very cheap-looking. This would almost certainly be a mistake on the factory's designer's part, but the end result is another knock against this thing.

Getting on past the fact that it's *Way too small, and *Needs weathering badly, and *The cockpit is too small for almost any figures, we come to the vehicle, which needs a little assembly, the cockpit snaps onto the body, and the winglets do as well, both of which may be too tight for younger consumers. Then the missiles and bombs need to be put in their launchers, and that presents another slight issue.

The spring-loaded missiles on this toy are 3, a long cannon on either winglet, and the chin cannon. All 3 of these are incredibly thin, possibly the thinnest missiles I've ever seen on a vehicle. All have red painted bands and sculpted detail, so it's not a cop-out. The winglet missiles are button-firing, somewhat limp. The chin missile is a flick-type and a little tough to get to fire, since the hull blocks the upward motion it needs unless you adjust the gun up a bit first (the missile also blocks downward movement of the gun, so it's a double-hit), and this one has a little more kick, but is still very light so it doesn't fly much.

The 4 bombs snap under the 2 banks of similar-looking but permanently-attached ones. These "bombs" are actually missiles in the movie, it's the HMP - Heavy Missile Platform - and these are its missiles, but hereon this toy they are not, they are dropping bombs. The removable bombs snap into place, and it looks like they are drooping or set up wrong because they dip down about 10 degrees from the others, but that's how they were aligned in the film. The 4 dropping bombs fire individually with buttons on the top, they simply push down until the clips release, and then the bombs fire out tumbling rapidly end over end, which is a really bad way to fire a bomb! :D Because of how they attach, the bombs stay in place ok but are somewhat easy to knock off.

The long thin cannon missiles can barely fit in the cockpit, I suspect the dropping bombs can also as they're much shorter, but I haven't tried yet to get all that in there. Storage for parts is good though, especially long thin ones that can get easily bent if left out.

I do wish they had made the non-firing missiles removable, they look cool under there but I like missiles to be GI Joe:ARAH-style if they don't fire, so creative display and play can use them as seen fit.

The vehicle has a lot of sculpted detail about, especially on the underside, even on the inside of the landing leg. The leg folds flat against the underside, part of the original detailing of the ship before it was a toy and hinged down, I think it was a spine and thrusters. It snaps into positions, and when lowered there's a switch to keep it in place. The cockpit acts as the front leg, the whole thing stands level, although there is a degree or 2 of play at the neck connection.

There are plenty of features, the firing missiles, the dropping bombs, and also the ball-jointed cannons on the nose move freely as a ball-joint (unlike the lameo Republic Gunship nose). The chin gun is on a ball joint (that plugs into a receiver which looks like its in a larger ball-joint, but is faux), it can easily turn to the sides and look up a little, but when loaded cannot look down. Aside of the chin gun are the mandibles which swivel in and out, to add menacing looks and to give the chin gun more range, I suppose. The winglets are hinged with soft stops, though only 1 stop snaps, but friction holds them in place fine anyway.

Ultimately, it is a pretty good expression of the design, there's lots going on for play value, the paint it does have is good, the hide-away leg-stand works well, and it looks pretty menacing. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit well with the scale of this line, being too small against other vehicles, and having a cockpit that can't fit almost any figures. It also suffers from a lack of paint weathering the worst since the V-19 Torrent. So it's a mixed bag, some good, some frustrating. I'd feel safe giving it a "C" as an item in this line but maybe with a "+" for effort on individual merit.

jedibear
04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive look, JT. I've always wanted Hasbro to produce this one signature vehicle from the Kashyyyk battle scene...always like the look and the way it moved.

Judging from your comments, it's sounding like it might be comparable to the Sith Infiltrator from a few years back...way off in scale, a tepid paint scheme but okay execution overall. I'm gonna pick one up...who knows, maybe this will be the first vehicle I take a stab at painting/detailing up a bit myself...

Tycho
04-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Thank you for the review JT. I'm disappointed in the outlook on this ship. I haven't opened mine, but it is intended to be displayed in a diorama from ROTS. That means it has to look good next to other vehicles like the Swamp Speeder and Turbo Tank, Wookiee flyer, etc.

The Sith Infiltrator can get away with things because it was only seen by itself, though I was never happy with the toy once I got it (in spite of great expectations).

Anyway, here we go again, huh?

JediTricks
04-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive look, JT. I've always wanted Hasbro to produce this one signature vehicle from the Kashyyyk battle scene...always like the look and the way it moved.

Judging from your comments, it's sounding like it might be comparable to the Sith Infiltrator from a few years back...way off in scale, a tepid paint scheme but okay execution overall. I'm gonna pick one up...who knows, maybe this will be the first vehicle I take a stab at painting/detailing up a bit myself...It's not quite as bad as the SI only because the SI has character interaction and the DG doesn't. Also, there's a little more height and width, despite probably the same mass (the body is VERY thin on the DG).

Thank you for the review JT. I'm disappointed in the outlook on this ship. I haven't opened mine, but it is intended to be displayed in a diorama from ROTS. That means it has to look good next to other vehicles like the Swamp Speeder and Turbo Tank, Wookiee flyer, etc.

The Sith Infiltrator can get away with things because it was only seen by itself, though I was never happy with the toy once I got it (in spite of great expectations).

Anyway, here we go again, huh?Sure thing. I can't picture it around those vehicles, but it might work because the smaller scale on the Turbo Tank. If you set it up, show us pics.