PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toys To Tackle 12" Star Wars

jonthejedi
12-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Read this interesting rumor over at rebelscum.com. Please let it be true...I've prayed for this for years. If any of you own Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 12" pieces(like Predator or Dark Knight)...you'll understand my excitement. Most of the time...I deviate my collecting funds from Hasbro's endless parade of repaints & redecos over to this outstanding 12" line. Being that Hot Toys has collaborated with Sideshow anyway on their armored troopers....me holding breath!:thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Read this interesting rumor over at rebelscum.com. Please let it be true...I've prayed for this for years. If any of you own Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 12" pieces(like Predator or Dark Knight)...you'll understand my excitement. Most of the time...I deviate my collecting funds from Hasbro's endless parade of repaints & redecos over to this outstanding 12" line. Being that Hot Toys has collaborated with Sideshow anyway on their armored troopers....me holding breath!:thumbsup:

Are they taking it over and restarting what Sideshow did, or are they continuing the line? If its the former, I'm done. I don't care how good the new molds are, I'm not starting my third 12" figure line by buying base figures over again.

Blue2th
12-16-2010, 03:45 PM
....yeah inquiring minds want to know. I guess it would depend on the figure. You have to admit Hot Toys is good stuff. I can see prices increasing even more than they already have though. I've been priced out on quite a few newer Sideshow figures lately.

JediTricks
12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't know that I buy it, the Japanese market already has a 12" primary license and it's Medicom, which has been doing their thing for quite a while. Here's their newest: http://www.blister.jp/item17537.html

That said, Hot Toys clearly can do better humanoid likenesses and skin colors better than either Sideshow or Medicom, and with Sideshow having gone stupid with pricing, Hot Toys' non-armored figures aren't especially expensive anymore. They'd definitely do far better than Medicom or Sideshow, but I cannot see getting into yet another 12" SW line either.

Snowtrooper
12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
I think that Hot Toys products are top notch. I have the Captain Dallas and Exec Officer Kane from the ALIEN series and they are both excellent. I've also been looking at getting the new Terminator which looks exactly like Arnie did in T1. If they were to take over the 12" SW line, I wouldn't have any complaints other than the price(probably $150 plus).

Sideshow has made some good SW products, especially troopers. But, as JT pointed out, the skin really looks artificial whereas Hot Toys seems much more lifelike. I also don't care much for the eyes. It seems like they are all smoking weed or something.

jonthejedi
12-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Ditto that. I have Dark Knight Batman & Joker, Alien, Dallas & Kane, Scar Predator, Ripley w/Power Loader, Hicks, T2 T-1000, T-800 & Terminator Salvation...they are highlights of my 12" collection.

Tauntaunt
12-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I don`t like this "premium" 12" figures;they`re so expensive that you don`t feel like playing with them.The Toys are to play.Otherwise we have statues.:whip:

Blue2th
12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
...or IDOLS! :eek: and ye shall make none representing anything in heaven or on the Earth.

Good thing they're from a galaxy far far away. :cheeky:

Tauntaunt
12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
...or IDOLS! :eek: and ye shall make none representing anything in heaven or on the Earth.

Good thing they're from a galaxy far far away. :cheeky:

I like the Hasbro 2010 Gamorrean Better than the 12" sideshow`s.:whip:

Blue2th
12-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I like the Hasbro 2010 Gamorrean Better than the 12" sideshow`s.:whip:

I bought 2 of those at KB's on sale and it was good enough for me.

I am partial to the Sideshow Prequel Alien Jedi, but I don't think there's many left to do that would be marketable for them. I'd probably buy them though if they made them.

sergiurusu
12-22-2010, 07:20 AM
The Hot Toys figures are superb, their quality surpass Sideshow's. And with the new prices SS is not far behind HT anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing some cool armored troopers from HT and of course the perfect Vader.

My small collection of HT figures can be seen attached. I have the Terminator Endos (regular and battle-damaged), Predator 1, Predator 2 (battle damaged), She-Predator Machiko, and Appleseed Deunan, Briareos and Tereus. They are awesome.

HT collaborated with SS in making some of the figures but still I'm sure HT kept some secrets for themselves. Anyway we are only speculating since we need official news to be sure of HT and SW license.

jonthejedi
01-01-2011, 04:53 AM
It would seem from their recent behind-the-scenes video preview...they're concentrating on 1/4 scale premium figures...didn't see any 12" represented.

sergiurusu
01-02-2011, 03:43 AM
It would seem from their recent behind-the-scenes video preview...they're concentrating on 1/4 scale premium figures...didn't see any 12" represented.

Are you talking about Hot Toys or Sideshow? I know Sideshow is going to make a few Premium Formats (1/4 scale) like Emperor on throne, Stormtrooper and C-3PO. But not sure if HT makes 1/4 figures, they usually work in 1/6 scale...

jonthejedi
01-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Sideshow...that would lend credence to rumour that Hot Toys will tackle Star Wars 12" 1/6 scale.

jedibear
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
...and that breaks my heart. And my wallet. And my ability to continue collecting modern SW 1:6 scale figures.

Yes, Hot Toys is a great company putting out quality figures...but they're way out of my budget to collect them in the numbers I've done for Sideshow.

sergiurusu
01-03-2011, 02:43 AM
With Hot Toys the only way to collect, at least for people whose budget is not Rockefeller's, is to get items that they like only and try to focus more. To get everything from HT would be VERY expensive.

jonthejedi
01-03-2011, 04:41 AM
I've had to say no to quite a few Sideshow pieces I wanted: Han in carbonite, cantina table & chair sets, Greedo, the Emperor's throne chair...in favor of must-haves like Rex & Cody, etc.

Darth Cruel
02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I have to wonder if it would be Sideshow's license that Hot toys takes IF they do get in to Star Wars by themselves. Personally, I would think that with all of the new announcements from Sideshow, the lack thereof from Medicom (save this recent Ultimate Union Luke Skywalker), and the fact that Hot Toys and Medicom are both Asian Companies, it seems more likely to me that Hot Toys would be taking over the Medicom Asian market than the Sideshow market from this side of the pond.

jedibear
02-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Maybe they're just planning on doing some DX versions of some core characters (like the just-announced Indy), instead of going the distance Sideshow's been doing. If that's the case, I'll certainly give them a look and perhaps go for one or two if they look really good...
especially Anakin...have yet to see the "perfect" one from any company yet so...bring it on HT!

sergiurusu
02-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Somehow I'd like to see a HT Vader and Stormtroper because neither from SS are perfect. But I'm already afraid of the price. We'll see...

JediTricks
02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Somehow I'd like to see a HT Vader and Stormtroper because neither from SS are perfect. But I'm already afraid of the price. We'll see...
The SS Vader and Stormtrooper essentially are HT, they did a lot of the work on those 2.

Tycho
02-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I want General Grievous and his body guard droids made. Those will be incredibly detailed and worth the wait.

sergiurusu
02-05-2011, 05:39 AM
The SS Vader and Stormtrooper essentially are HT, they did a lot of the work on those 2.

Unfortunately not enough work, since both are quite inaccurate, especially the Stormtrooper. And I'm sure HT has some aces left in their hand exactly for the moment they get access to the SW line.

JediTricks
02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
They did the majority of the work on the Stormtrooper, I believe. Even on the body underneath. So it's possible your faith is extreme in this case.

sergiurusu
02-06-2011, 02:01 AM
We were never told what they really did on the figure. So any assumption can be too much. I'm sure if HT would do their own Stormtrooper it would be much better. Any company will keep some secrets of their own. Now SS and HT work together but maybe in the future they might be direct rivals...