PDA

View Full Version : Tron 1982

sith_killer_99
12-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Okay, so I was on another forum when the owner mentioned that he needs help watching the original Tron before he goes to see the new film.

He has never seen this classic and wants to watch it, but it is not available anywhere Netflix, iTunes, etc. No luck at the brick and mortars. Online retail prices run anywhere from $50-$180.

I guess they did a pretty limited DVD release in 1998 and 2002, but that's about it.

On a side note it has been remastered for the blu-ray release but there is no word on the release date. It was originally thought to be November/December 2010 to coincide with the theatrical release of the new film. That did not happen, so it will probably be held back until the blu-ray release of the new film.

The last time I watched Tron was in 2005 or 2006 on cable.

I did a quick search on cable to see if it was playing, seems like a no brainer considering the new film, but NO ONE is playing it on cable either. WOW, talk about a missed opportunity. The original should be running 4-5 times a week right now!!!

It's sad we live in a world where I can run down to Walmart right now and buy "Logan's Run" on blu-ray for $10 but no Tron or even Star Wars. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2010, 10:11 PM
How many times have we talked about companies missing the boat on products people want, while over-selling others that've been out for years? Sad.

Beast
12-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Actually, from the grapevine....

They didn't want to re-release the original before the new sequel.

Because the hokey special effects would potentially kill interest in the sequel with today's kids/teens.

You'll note they did a lot with the costume designs and effects to distance it really far from the original.

Just look at the suits that the characters are wearing. Which have very few glow lines all over them.

The original will likely be released on DVD/BLU the same day as the sequel does.

Rocketboy
12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Disney was horrified by screenings of the original not long ago (people were reported to be laughing at the film), so they delayed a home video re-release and pulled all existing copies from stores, fearing bad word of mouth about the original would kill interest in Tron 2, which is what drove prices up on the secondary market.

Beast
12-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Disney was horrified by screenings of the original not long ago (people were reported to be laughing at the film), so they delayed a home video re-release and pulled all existing copies from stores, fearing bad word of mouth about the original would kill interest in Tron 2, which is what drove prices up on the secondary market.
Yeah, almost tempted to dump my 2-Disc DVD on Ebay for 50-80 bucks.

Since I'll get the Blu-Ray next year when it comes out anyway. :)

sith_killer_99
12-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Frickin' Disney! :mad:

Luckily there are other methods for acquiring such golden oldies and I am about to watch the original as I type this. :D

Tauntaunt
12-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Frickin' Disney! :mad:

Luckily there are other methods for acquiring such golden oldies and I am about to watch the original as I type this. :D

I like the original,It`s a foolish movie but I like the Graphics and the special effects.:thumbsup:

Blue2th
12-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Good thing I bought it when it came out. I think the effects even though some think hokey by today's standards still hold up.

I've seen the previews of the new movie and I think they look less believable. That is as much as one can believe they can exist in a video game that is. :rolleyes:

By the look of the previews though I believe it less. The characters look less surreal like they should for one. Though I'll have to see the new movie to make a final judgement.

sith_killer_99
12-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, my wife downloaded it last night and I watched it again. Now I am planning to take my daughter to see Tron: Legacy.

If it is as good as they say I will be buying both of these on blu-ray when they are released.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd heard about the DVD being taken out, so I'm glad I got it earlier this year for $10 at Best Buy. But the fact that it's not on Netflix is pretty crazy. That's where I was able to see it first almost a year ago, and that's what got me more interested in Legacy anyway. Odd that they're completely trying to bury it.

DarthQuack
12-18-2010, 03:06 PM
I've got it on DVD....the 20th anniversary 2 disc version....have had it for years....thought about selling it since it's selling for so much right now.

JediTricks
12-20-2010, 10:50 PM
It sucks that they pulled the blu-ray release and are worried that people won't take the film seriously. I recently watched the DVD on my HDTV for the first time, and it held up nicely. It wasn't anywhere near as clean as when I saw it at the El Captian around 9 years ago, but it was good enough. The thing that strikes me the most is how rough the compositing looks, like it's been beat up, but the CGI sells it for me almost every time. The story still works well for me, and the religious undertones are an interesting philosophical concept, expressing man's relationship with gods from the gods point of view without being preachy or obvious. About 10 minutes into viewing it, I got out my Medicom Real Action Heroes 100 Flynn & Light Cycle set and put it up in front of the tube where it's been since. And I have kept the Flynn's Arcade tokens I got at Disneyland a few weeks ago on my desk as well.

BTW, that limited engagement release at the El Cap theater, people didn't laugh at the film, they just enjoyed it for what it was. I think the problem stems from trying to push the idea at folks who aren't going to go for it no matter what.

sith_killer_99
12-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah, it's sad, the other day someone on another forum was talking about Tron (Original) and then the discussion got onto how the new film is cutting edge.

I quoted the guy, agreed and said "Yeah, that's what they said about the original in 1982." Then followed up with a :thumbsup:

The next guy to post got really snotty, like I was insulting the new film or something, instead of complimenting the franchise for pushing the envelope yet again.

He came in and was all...

You need to stay quiet if you're not going to see it or haven't. Best movie graphically I've ever seen. Jeff Bridges CGI version is ridiculously well crafted. You literally only catch maybe three times total throughout the whole movie that you can tell it's CGI.

I was just like, WOW, it's a compliment man, get over it.

I guess the younger generation doesn't see things in the same context as us old schoolers. :laugh:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-20-2010, 11:20 PM
I was looking to see the original first as well. I thought I even saw it listed on Netflix, but maybe not. I know it wasn't on Comcast On Demand or iTunes. I guess I'll just skip the new movie in the theater and maybe I'll see them both on DVD, but since I rarely rent or buy DVD's, who knows when I will see it.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess the younger generation doesn't see things in the same context as us old schoolers. :laugh:Well, we accepted the fact that some things won't be "exact," whereas today, it must be realistic to life. The story wasn't subserviant [sp?] to the effects. I'd like to simply be able to see the '82 edition again; maybe I should check out my local library's collection.

I just enjoyed Tron because it was an escape for 2 hours, not needing to be realistic (but they did an awesome job at that).

JediTricks
12-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Check it out, it's the Tron Holiday Special! http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5aaba22e7f/the-1982-tron-holiday-special

preacher
12-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I was looking to see the original first as well. I thought I even saw it listed on Netflix, but maybe not. I know it wasn't on Comcast On Demand or iTunes. I guess I'll just skip the new movie in the theater and maybe I'll see them both on DVD, but since I rarely rent or buy DVD's, who knows when I will see it.

I rented it from netflix about a month ago. Assuming someone didn't keep it, it should still be there. I know I didn't keep it!

Mad Slanted Powers
12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I rented it from netflix about a month ago. Assuming someone didn't keep it, it should still be there. I know I didn't keep it!
Yes, I just went to Netflix and searched for it and found it listed. I'm not a subscriber, though. I don't like the idea of receiving and sending them in the mail. I don't know if it is available streaming or not.

Beast
12-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes, I just went to Netflix and searched for it and found it listed. I'm not a subscriber, though. I don't like the idea of receiving and sending them in the mail. I don't know if it is available streaming or not.
Checked my Netflix. It's listed, but it's not available for rental or streaming.