PDA

View Full Version : True Grit

jonthejedi
12-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Forget Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy...this is the one to catch...even if you're not into westerns. It's the Coen Bros. for pete's sake. The girl that plays Mattie Ross is a revelation.

Qui-Long Gone
12-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I enjoyed the film, but think the original is still better. That girl was VERY good. If she's not up for an Oscar I'll be surprised. Damon was great and the dynamics between the three actors was terrific.

I thought Jeff was a little too hard to understand (I sound like an old man) and I think the Brothers fair better with a hint of nihilism in their films (aka No Country, Fargo, etc.).

Tycho
12-30-2010, 10:34 AM
This movie was awesome! As a writer in this genre (my first book) I love having proof that the (post) Civil War / Western era still works.

It was very well done, and a nice use of snakes.

I took a lesson from Star Wars (Dewbacks, Banthas, TaunTauns, Wampas) and put a lot of natural dangers into my own work (alligators, mountain lions, vultures, and snakes).

As I ride myself, the horses they chose for Jeff Bridges and the girl playing Matti were perfect! It brought a tear to my eye when Little Blackie dies. (Not a major spoiler, btw). Funny how she chose the name.

Chaney reminded me of Johnny Ringo in Tombstone. A brief but good performance, too.

JimJamBonds
12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
... I think the Brothers fair better with a hint of nihilism in their films (aka No Country, Fargo, etc.).
Don't forget the nililists in The Big Lewbowski. :D

El Chuxter
01-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I usually prefer the old-fashioned grits, but they're tough to find out here. The Quaker and Albers quick grits are the closest I can get to true grits, but they suffice quite nicely.

Mister Roboto
01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I usually prefer the old-fashioned grits, but they're tough to find out here. The Quaker and Albers quick grits are the closest I can get to true grits, but they suffice quite nicely.

Someone named "Flo" called for you. She wanted me to give you this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftbm8EZZDqI).

harrymckey
01-04-2011, 01:17 AM
I just watch this movie really horror drama. I like horror movies and it is one of my best movie.

Slicker
01-04-2011, 04:29 AM
I hate getting grit in my fingernails but my all time WORST place for grit is when you happen to chomp down on that random piece of sand in your teeth.

Lord Malakite
01-04-2011, 06:50 AM
I had to grit the tiles in the bathroom once.

Rogue II
01-05-2011, 12:15 AM
If you are going to buy sandpaper, make sure you know what grit you need.

Quick chart - Sandpaper
30 grit, 60 grit, 80 grit - extremely coarse
100 grit, 120 grit, 180 grit - recommended for general purpose, drywall patches, furniture re-finishing
220 grit, 240 grit, 320 grit - recommended for general purpose, furniture
400 grit, 600 grit - recommended for fine finishing, polishing, gilding
800 grit, 1000 grit, 1200 grit- recommended for fine polishing, hand rubbed finishes and gilding
1600 grit - extremely fine. Polishing, jewelry

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2011, 02:16 PM
grit

I saw this movie the other day, after having seen the original a few weeks ago. I had heard how this one was more true to the book, and how it was so different and all of that. While there were a few differences (short added scenes, lack of family life at the beginning, etc.) it really felt that this just didn't need to be made. It was entertaining, and the performances and filmmaking were really well done, but it seemed ultimately pointless since the original was already very good. The new/true-to-the-book ending was weird, depressing, and didn't have much to do with the story. In terms of visual style, both films are very much products of their time, so I guess it's opinion as to which one you like better. Overall I felt it was an exercise in pointlessness.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Now I've read the novel. Only two film versions to go, plus all the action figure, video game, collector plates, and cell phone skin cover merchandise, and I've completed it all! :Pirate: :Pilgrim:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-10-2011, 11:02 AM
I saw it in the theatre earlier this year and on DVD the other day.

My dad is a huge John Wayne fan, and he prefers the original, although I know he enjoyed the newer version and it was neat to see him anticipate each scene in the new film since he had practically memorized the original movie.

As a casual fan of the old movie, I though that the Coen brothers version was more of a drama then a western. With the classic 1969 version, I thought vice versa. The Coen brothers did a great job building the relationships between Maddie and Rooster and put more emphasis on the emotions of it.

Jeff Bridges and the 14 year old girl (Haylee something or other) performed outstandingly. I thought Matt Damon was miscast. He didn't perform horribly, but he is not the cowboy type. Barry Pepper and Josh Brolin performed admirably in smaller roles.