PDA

View Full Version : EP1 DVD problems

Dar' Argol
03-03-2002, 07:19 PM
Hey all,

I just got done watching my EP1 DVD for the 15th time(can you tell I can't wait till EP2 come out!!). I have a simple question. Has anyone been having problems with their EP1 DVD's? The problem I am talking about is about the time that Anakin flies his Naboo Starfighter into the Trade Federations Control Ship the voices don't match the lips of the actors any more! Its about a second off. It looks like a dudding error when they transferred it to DVD. The only othere thing I can think of is that it is the fact that I am running it on my PS2. But I have had no other problems with any of my other DVD's. It just becomes a pain when the words don't match.

Anyone's input on this would be great. Thanx :D

Beast
03-03-2002, 07:59 PM
At first I thought it might have been the layer change, but that occurs at 50:40, in chapter 17. It looks fine to me, though it may be a case of not properly synched ADR (Automatic Dialogue Replacement). You see when the movies are filmed, most of the time all the dialoge is dumped and replaced with dialogue recorded in recording sessions and synched. They due that cause of the noise on the set, as well as stuff like improper surfaces. You can hear Ben Burtt comment on it on the E1 commentary at 03:00.

Ben Burtt: "In a film like this because of production noises on the set and the innoproprate surfaces they may walk on that might be, the footsteps might have a wooden sound. The original tracks are pretty much thrown away, and about 85% of the dialogue is replaced later after the film has been edited. The actors are brought back in and they do their lines over again while listening to the cue track from the original shooting session."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
03-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Ok, I understand that. But from that point on, all the dialog does not match up. Its all out of synch by about a second, till the end of the movie. Its just annoying and I want to see if anyone else has this prolbem, to see if maybe its a defective batch or not.

Beast
03-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Ok, I understand that. But from that point on, all the dialog does not match up. Its all out of synch by about a second, till the end of the movie. Its just annoying and I want to see if anyone else has this prolbem, to see if maybe its a defective batch or not.
Hmm, you either have a defective disc, or possibly your PS2 needs the laser lens cleaned, and it's causing some audio lag. I was wondering why it looked ok to me. Hmm, you may want to look into a dedicated DVD player, instead of using the PS2. Have you purchased the latest remote control that came with a disc for to update your firmware on your PS2? If not you may wanna look into that, or possibly get one of those lens cleaning CD's that's made for the PS2.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
03-03-2002, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the remote I have is a Mad Catz remote. And I was thinking it was the PS2. I know its not a REAL DVD player. Heck I'm just happy it plays DVD's at all!!! But the thing I do not understand is why it is not doing it to any of my other DVD's???

MMMM. . . clouded the problems future is!

Sith Worm
03-03-2002, 08:40 PM
I have this problem also with my PS2, sometimes the DVDs are off with the audio and sometimes the colors are alittle off in tint, but put it in my DVD player and they are fine, I think it's the way the PS2 hooks up to the T.V.

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 05:16 AM
Hmm... I've never really had any trouble with my PS2's DVD player, then again I might have and just not noticed. I think maybe later today I'll sit down and watch TPM on DVD and check it out, afterall, I still haven't just watched TPM alone on the DVD, only time I did that, I had the commentary turned on. :D

Admiral LSD
03-04-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Yeah, the remote I have is a Mad Catz remote. And I was thinking it was the PS2. I know its not a REAL DVD player. Heck I'm just happy it plays DVD's at all!!! But the thing I do not understand is why it is not doing it to any of my other DVD's???

MMMM. . . clouded the problems future is!

GET THE SONY REMOTE NOW! It puts every 3rd party remote to shame not to mention, as JJB said, it comes with a CD that contains the latest (mine came with 2.10) version of the PS2 DVD software.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 09:02 AM
The problem I DO have is that my 7 month old SONY DVD player died on me the other night with my TPM Disc 2 stuck in it!!! I should have it back from the shop next week. :mad:

Sorry A** piece of crap!!!

It took my favourite disc!!! : (

Beast
03-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
The problem I DO have is that my 7 month old SONY DVD player died on me the other night with my TPM Disc 2 stuck in it!!! I should have it back from the shop next week. :mad: Sorry A** piece of crap!!! It took my favourite disc!!! : (
Ewww, that's gotta suck JEDIpartnr. I hope it's still under warrenty, would suck to have to pay to get it repaired, being only 7 months old. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
03-04-2002, 02:30 PM
I don't have any technical problems with my DVD player like the ones you guys are describing, but there are a couple of things that either my player or my disc aren't doing. Mine won't automatically go to the Naboo themed menu when you hit "Audio" during the Warning/Attention screen, but it will go to Coruscant. The other thing it won't do is play either the Sidious or Watto prompts when you are in the Fed. ship bridge or Watto's shop menus. :(

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Portion of the warranty. Sadly, as with most electronics... you get 90 days and that is IT. We'll see how I come out on this one. I'm pretty ****ed off about this.

Beast
03-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Portion of the warranty. Sadly, as with most electronics... you get 90 days and that is IT. We'll see how I come out on this one. I'm pretty ****ed off about this.
Eww, don't blame you man. I hope that it doesn't end up costing you all that much. Since buying another new DVD player doesn't cost all that much now adays anymore. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
03-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Admiral LSD

GET THE SONY REMOTE NOW! It puts every 3rd party remote to shame not to mention, as JJB said, it comes with a CD that contains the latest (mine came with 2.10) version of the PS2 DVD software.

OK MAN!!! Relax on the java a bit :stupid:

I got the Mad Catz at the time b/c I work at Wal-Mart and make . . .oh about . . . squat!!! It was on clearance for $7!!!! Lets see, I just convinced my wife to get the PS2, told her it plays DVDs and really doesn't need a remote, and now I want to drop $26 on a remote. . . . I can here the conversation now:

Wife "I thought it didn't NEED a remote?!?"
ME "Yeah, but hon, it would be much easier."
Wife "Easier?!?!? It would be much eaiser just to take it back!!"

It would be a very bad conversation after that. Not that my wife is a B****, its not like that at all, its just we are a little short on $. :cry:

Dar' Argol
03-19-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Hmm, you may want to look into a dedicated DVD player, instead of using the PS2. Have you purchased the latest remote control that came with a disc for to update your firmware on your PS2?

Originally posted by Admiral LSD

I just want to thank JJB and LSD for helping me. I got the PS2 offical remote today with the driver updates and not EP1 works perfectly!:D I believe it was the driver update that fixed the voice synch problem I had. Thanx again guys. Its good to know that there are people here at SSG looking out for each other:happy: