PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Republic Attack Shuttle at Toy Fair next month?

JediTricks
01-15-2011, 03:36 PM
According to the magazine Toy News, that's what will be there, as seen in this article: http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Rumor_Report_The_Clone_Wars_Vehicle_136133.asp

After Hasbro's October answer about another big vehicle for '11 that's sub-$100, I argued that it sounded to me like the Republic Attack Shuttle here, and while some folks felt I was making a wild guess, it looks like that's what we're getting. I should be a clairvoyant, I'm sure lots of people would love to pay me to guess what's coming up next based only on Hasbro answers and market trends. ;)

Anyway, salient point to take away from this is we're getting the Nu-class shuttle, and if you don't know what that is, it's this thing seen in lots of Clone Wars episodes: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nu-class

Slicker
01-15-2011, 04:10 PM
This is kind of a meh vehicle. If I was still into buying any of the toys I'd find it hard to spend $100 for this. The other large vehicles have been semi-iconic (I say "semi" only because the AT-AT doesn't bring up as many memories or have the recognizability as the Falcon) but this was only shown for a very short time and not even in any "action" scenes.

I realize that there aren't many vehicles that they could upscale to look better so why should they even do it just to do it? Let the first two stand as great examples of what fans wanted and wait until you get something better. Maybe an upscaled AT-ST? (not sure if the ones we have are in scale but I doubt it). How about an upscaled Imperial Shuttle (once again not sure of the scale)

Beast
01-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Yet they still won't make Jabba's Sail Barge. Oh well, what can ya do.

Neuroleptic
01-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Easy pass for me. But then, the AT-AT is the only Big Freaking Monster vehilce I plan to get, especialy since I got it unexpectedly for Christmas. They just cost too much for me to willingly buy on my own.

Maradona
01-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Maybe this won't be a $100 vehicle. I seem to remember Hasbro wanting to develop the $69.99 price point, for which we've only seen the Y-Wing and repainted ARC-170.

The vehicle just doesn't strike me as being large enough to make into "an attack base play set."

Maerj2000
01-15-2011, 09:38 PM
At a less than $100 price pint, I'd like to have this. It looked cool, I loved it in ROTS. I have to agree about it not being large enough to be an attack base. It didn't seem to be *that* large but it looks really cool.

I saw a rumor on somewhere about Hasbro mulling over making a BMF Sandcrawler. I'd def be up for one of those, even at $100. If they release that in 2012, maybe the economy will be better by then and I could afford one of those.

morpheus282
01-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Don't forget that the back end of the turbo tank was an "attack base". I'm sure this will probably be something similar to that. I'm going to have to see it (if the rumor is true) before I can comment on if I'd like to have it.

DarkJedi5
01-16-2011, 01:17 PM
It looked cool, I loved it in ROTS.
It's not the same ship. The one in ROTS was a Theta class shuttle and it actually has a partial wing on top, while the Nu class does not. They looks similar and most people won't know the difference but the bright colors on the Nu shuttle would make it seem out of place if you were recreating the scene from the end of ROTS, IMO.

Maerj2000
01-16-2011, 03:31 PM
It's not the same ship. The one in ROTS was a Theta class shuttle and it actually has a partial wing on top, while the Nu class does not. They looks similar and most people won't know the difference but the bright colors on the Nu shuttle would make it seem out of place if you were recreating the scene from the end of ROTS, IMO.

So, perhaps in the future Hasbro will most likely repaint it, add a small semi-center wing and call it a Theta class shuttle. I can see them doing something like that, which is okay. You can never have too many ships.

JediTricks
01-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow, lots of haters (for lack of a better term) on this one. I'm not in that boat, I think it can be a cool vehicle. Look at the Republic Gunship toy, it's mainly just a platform to hold figures, and it has doors and a cockpit, but there's not that much going on, and yet it's quite popular. The Nu-class Shuttle here could be largely the same, except with movable wings.

Maybe this won't be a $100 vehicle. I seem to remember Hasbro wanting to develop the $69.99 price point, for which we've only seen the Y-Wing and repainted ARC-170.

The vehicle just doesn't strike me as being large enough to make into "an attack base play set."This is I think surely the "sub-$100 vehicle" that Hasbro confirmed in Q&A, but I don't think it'll be at the "deluxe vehicle" SKU since that line got killed with the ARC-170 taking it down to the bottom of the sea.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-16-2011, 03:58 PM
So, perhaps in the future Hasbro will most likely repaint it, add a small semi-center wing and call it a Theta class shuttle. I can see them doing something like that, which is okay. You can never have too many ships.
It's not just the color; aside from being vaguely the same shape, the shuttles are completely different when compared side-by-side.

The fact that this has barely been in the show makes me think it could be an odd choice. The Turbo Tank seemed to do fairly well for having not been featured much, though that had the added benefit of appealing to film collectors as well. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this at Toy Fair.

And I can't wait to re-create the "Jar Jar causes a crash landing that kills a few people" scene. :p

JediTricks
01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
It's been in nearly a quarter of the episodes of the show.

sonofsokol
01-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I like that article says "... has 2 modes of play; as an attack base play-set and a vehicle." I know Hasbro has been anti-play-set in the Q&A sessions for some time now, so maybe this is a step in the right direction.

I know that when I play Star Wars with my 5-year-old, the AT-AT, Turbo Tank, and AT-TE all stay pretty stationary and act as play-sets, but the fact that it is specifically stated in this release may mean something...or I am just reading too much into it?

JediTricks
01-16-2011, 05:05 PM
That's how they've treated all the big vehicles, they know playsets don't sell but vehicles do, so they try to pack as many playset features into vehicles as they can. The Clone Turbo Tank also had the Attack Base concept in its design. Whether this transforms more into a playset environment than that did is yet to be seen.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-16-2011, 06:53 PM
It's been in nearly a quarter of the episodes of the show.
According to Wookieepedia, nine episodes and the movie (and based on previews, Delta Squad uses it in this week's episode). Ten out of 58 episodes ain't quite a quarter, but the problem is that it's never done anything really memorable aside from blow up and crash (which I know could be said of the AT-TE and Turbo Tank, but at least those are "aggressive" vehicles actually used in battles). This really just gets people from Point A to Point B (neither of which is Point Rain :p ).

El Chuxter
01-16-2011, 10:26 PM
I hate to be branded a hater, but....

Ando
01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
*THIS* is the Clone Wars vehicle that I have truly been waiting for! Ever since we saw it in the Clone Wars movie back in August of 2008, I have been wanting a big plastic Hasbro reproduction for my collection and now it looks like I will only have to wait out 5-6 more months (assuming it's a summer release, and the last 3 big releases have been summer releases...).

Depending on size and execution, I am going to get at least 1, possibly even two, even though my last 3 medium to large vehicle purchases (Y Wing, Turbo Tank, and AT-AT) have been limited to one.

I have cut WAAAAAAY back on my Star Wars purchases since the end of 2009, especially the Hasbro stuff. I still buy figures here and there, but I have skipped a lot of it. I still purchase SW LEGO sets, but I have cut way back on those, too. But for big vehicles, I am all for them.

Can't wait to see this thing at Toy Fair next month!

JediTricks
01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
According to Wookieepedia, nine episodes and the movie (and based on previews, Delta Squad uses it in this week's episode). Ten out of 58 episodes ain't quite a quarter, but the problem is that it's never done anything really memorable aside from blow up and crash (which I know could be said of the AT-TE and Turbo Tank, but at least those are "aggressive" vehicles actually used in battles). This really just gets people from Point A to Point B (neither of which is Point Rain :p ).I didn't realize we've had so many episodes in season 3, it's felt very short since most of them were mediocre.

Still, this is one of the most-common troop transports in the show. It's got 4 sets of guns on the front, and I think a set on the back. It holds troops. That's aggressive. And it's got a very recognizable Star Wars styling with the head-neck-body design and folding wings.

Bre77
01-20-2011, 05:52 AM
I like the Nu class design so depending on what play features they add it could look rather good.

I am suprised at the choice, would have thought the Twilight had a greater 'pull' as at least it has had a fair share of action and actually used to shoot enemy fighters down (though the scale and design of that ship may have gone against it). I do hope they consider the Twilight at some point though.

I also hope the Stealth ship gets a look in as it is a simple but cool design (basically a long tube) though sadly only in one episode:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_ship

It could have an open top roof allowing you to insert the stealth clone pilot (cool figure) in a two seater cockpit and several clone crew in seats with computers along its length (could have missile launching feature and maybe some battle sounds and light up engines).

As a bonus it should come with a clone stealth pilot and Admiral Trench:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_clone_trooper_pilot_%28stealth_ship%2 9

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trench_%28Admiral%29

Ando
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Another outlet has posted a picture of the RAS on their Facebook page, taken at the UK Toy Fair show by a Hungarian site.

The note card on the display calls it the Republic Attack *SHIP*.

I'd like to share this with everyone in this thread, but I don't want to get flamed NOR show any disrespect to SSG.

So if anyone (JT?) would like to share with me the protocol on this, I would appreciate it. (I didn't see this image or a news link about it on the home page).

sonofsokol
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I also happened onto some pics around he web... I went to the Hungarian website and plugged in their write-up into an online translator. It is a direct translation, so it is not perfect, but you kinda get the idea...

We came out not long ago from the British Toy Fair, where they managed to photography to get the latest you've never seen a vehicle, the Republic Attack Ship. A colleague of Hasbro also showed us in this rugged little machine.
So the Republic Attack Ship Clone Wars animated series of the iconic vehicles, Hasbro in 2011 will be the biggest game. I'm about. 6-8 were calculated with button on it, each of them belongs to one or more sound effects. The ship's belly to remove the two side panel, then serve játéktérként, where one of the key result, riadójelzést simulated red LEDs will flash.
The flight deck can hold up one behind the other two figures. The ship's retractable roof at the beginning of a small lift in hiding. Extra lézerágyúk are hidden in the head and wings. The wing and the leszállótalpak fold. Comes with a picture and then Clone Trooper figure and Clone Wars series in the standard box will be available. Our feeling is that in size is not a category of either the Falcon or the ATAT-tal-NAL. The expected release August.

There are some words it does not translate, but played around with them on the translator and I think that
"játéktérként" means "playset"
"riadójelzést" means "warning alarm"
"lézerágyúk" means "laser guns"
"leszállótalpak" means "landing supports/gears"

Ando
01-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I also happened onto some pics around he web... I went to the Hungarian website and plugged in their write-up into an online translator. It is a direct translation, so it is not perfect, but you kinda get the idea...

There are some words it does not translate, but played around with them on the translator and I think that
"leszállótalpak" means "landing supports/gears"

I translated that page as well. Right underneath the write up and still photo is a YouTube video (13 seconds?!) that pans over the shuttle and gives a better perspective of size. Not much better, but better.

I like what they did with what appears to be a pop up handle in the dorsal area of the main body of the shuttle. It's how I would have done it as opposed to cradling it or using a pistol grip style handle on the old Imperial Shuttle.

I'm relieved that the write up seems to reveal that the cockpit holds (3) figures (if I am reading that correctly...). At first glance, it looks like it's a 1 seater. The picture is weird, though due to how they have it on a stand and the angle they took the picture from.

US Toy Fair coverage will reveal a LOT more I am sure.

Blue2th
01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't know if it's been posted yet, but here's a pic from Jedi Insider:

http://jediinsider.net/g/index.php?mode=view&album=Finds%2FRepublic_Attack_Ship&pic=Republic_Attack_Ship.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0

Maradona
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Definitely doesn't look one hundred dollar-y to me.

morpheus282
01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Looks like about $70 worth of toy to me. I'll wait for Toy Fair to pass final judgement though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2011, 01:17 PM
It's significantly smaller than on the show, but I guess that's to be expected. It does look pretty cool, though.

Darth Metalmute
01-28-2011, 01:42 PM
It looks about the same size if not smaller than the Gunship.
It does look pretty nice though.

Battle Droid
02-06-2011, 09:28 PM
New pic with it as a playset,

Ando
02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
New pic with it as a playset,

Interesting... It almost reminds me of the LEGO Republic Attach Shuttle in that regard (the way the main part opens up, that is).

JediTricks
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Another outlet has posted a picture of the RAS on their Facebook page, taken at the UK Toy Fair show by a Hungarian site.

The note card on the display calls it the Republic Attack *SHIP*.

I'd like to share this with everyone in this thread, but I don't want to get flamed NOR show any disrespect to SSG.

So if anyone (JT?) would like to share with me the protocol on this, I would appreciate it. (I didn't see this image or a news link about it on the home page).Oh, yeah. Sure, go ahead. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

"leszállótalpak" means "landing supports/gears"Good translation, very interesting.

I translated that page as well. Right underneath the write up and still photo is a YouTube video (13 seconds?!) that pans over the shuttle and gives a better perspective of size. Not much better, but better.

I like what they did with what appears to be a pop up handle in the dorsal area of the main body of the shuttle. It's how I would have done it as opposed to cradling it or using a pistol grip style handle on the old Imperial Shuttle.

I'm relieved that the write up seems to reveal that the cockpit holds (3) figures (if I am reading that correctly...). At first glance, it looks like it's a 1 seater. The picture is weird, though due to how they have it on a stand and the angle they took the picture from.

US Toy Fair coverage will reveal a LOT more I am sure.It seems to be a 1-seater with an area underneath for 2 troops, but I could be wrong. I don't believe it's a pop-up handle though, too small.

Definitely doesn't look one hundred dollar-y to me.Well, Hasbro did say their next big vehicle would be sub-$100.

New pic with it as a playset,Great find! I've promoted it for a news post, Steve will need to approve.

It has a lot of GI Joe-vehicle-becomes-base thing going on. I only hope the wings properly fold up past vertical, that's a must for me. The cockpit/mini-fighter is pretty big, I like the neck connection to it. I'm not entirely sold on the concept, but I am looking forward to seeing more and hoping it'll be cool.

Ando
02-07-2011, 03:59 PM
I assume we'll get more details and better pics at the upcoming Toy Fair.

So far, even though we've gotten very little detail, I have a feeling this will be smaller than it should be. I hope I am wrong as this is the last "big" vehicle that I can see myself fleet/army building with (at least for the forseeable future).

JediTricks
02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, almost certainly they'll be showing it off on Saturday during New York Toy Fair. And SSG will be there to cover it.

Snowtrooper
02-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm curious to see all the details of it in playset mode. After seeing the picture, I'm a little concerned that when its all closed up and put back together, the various parts may feel kind of loose. But Hasbro has been doing a very good job on vehicles lately, so its only a small concern.

Ando
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
So by now we've all seen pictures and video, what does everyone think about it?

I personally am a little disappointed. I was hoping they'd make it more of a transport vehicle with room for 10-15 troopers inside, but I understand why they went with a hybrid vehicle/playset.

I am still up for getting one. Maybe two if I find them on sale.

It looks like the cockpit does hold two pilots (at least according to one of the videos that I saw...).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
While the other big vehicles had the playset aspects integrated, it looks on this one like you basically have to dismantle the ship to get to the playset. It's strange, but I'm sure it will be fun for kids, which seems to be what they're going for. I'm not sure how many collectors will even go for this one, given that it's the first "BMF" ship to not be from a film (as even the ones in The Clone Wars packaging were seen in, respectively, AOTC and ROTS). I guess I'm not surprised they went this route since the ship itself has very little play value. I'll probably just display it sealed up, which is fine by me and what I was going to do anyway.

Darth Metalmute
02-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm not sure that I like the playset. It looks like they tried to create the outpost episode feel to it, which is neat, but I don't think it was successful. If I pick it up, it will probably never get transformered.

Bre77
02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I may get 2-3 of these depending on price, 1 or 2 for the clones and 1 more to custom for a post New Hope smuggler/ pirate vessel (wonder if this will ever be done in imperial colours ala V wing/ Arc 170?).

Still want my stealth ship though.....:bandit:

jonthejedi
03-01-2011, 03:28 AM
I agree with jabbajohn...a little too kid-friendly & playset themed for my tastes. I'll def. pass.

Darth Metalmute
03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
It's kind of odd that we have been clamouring for playsets and it appears the overwelming opinion of this one is negative. I hope it doesn't affect Hasbro's decision to do real playsets in the future.