PDA

View Full Version : Rumor That The Super Jawa Sandcrawler IS Happening!

Tycho
01-19-2011, 09:52 PM
The Super Jawa Sandcrawler looks like it may be revealed at Toy Fair or Comic Con! (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Rumor_Report_The_Vintage_Collection_136054.asp)

The Super Jawa Sandcrawler looks like it may be revealed at Toy Fair or Comic Con!

I hope it's packed with a lot of extra B-A-D parts.

Maybe a multi-pack, with the Bantha, Ronto, or Dewback (and appropriate figures)?

El Chuxter
01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Now THAT is the first vehicle they've announced that I'd drop $100 for. The AT-AT and Falcon were cool, but I already have them. The little POS they put out a few years ago, I don't even consider a Sandcrawler.

Beast
01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
They've been pretty hit or miss with their Marvel and other lines on CTR.

But Rebelscum is usually in the high 90% when it comes to Star Wars rumors.

So yeah, looks like a BA Sandcrawler is on the way. Yet they won't do Jabba's Skiff? Meh.

Your link is borked though. http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Rumor_Report_The_Vintage_Collection_136054.asp

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Now THAT is the first vehicle they've announced that I'd drop $100 for. The AT-AT and Falcon were cool, but I already have them. The little POS they put out a few years ago, I don't even consider a Sandcrawler.
Nothing is announced. There's only been confirmation on the Republic Attack Shuttle so far, and that happened well after this rumor was posted, so don't get your hopes up just yet (and I think Hasbro only said there'd be one big vehicle this year).

I don't really see them producing a huge sandcrawler. The last one was an exclusive and based on the vintage mold so I don't think they have a lot of faith in it. Not to mention that it's not remotely aggressive, and all it really does in the film is hold droids and move forward, so I don't know how they'd make it kid-friendly like the other big vehicles.

Beast
01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
It opening up into a playset. Like they have done with all the other BA ships.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2011, 11:56 PM
It opening up into a playset. Like they have done with all the other BA ships.
Well, yeah, I got that. But for the Falcon, we already had a clear idea of what the interior would be. With the AT-TE, Turbo Tank, and AT-AT, they're all aggressive sort of battle centers. The sandcrawler would maybe incorporate some sort of droid factory-type aspect, but it doesn't really fit with the others.

El Chuxter
01-19-2011, 11:56 PM
I didn't say it was announced. I just said that it's one I'd actually buy for $100.

Actually, I did say it was announced, though that's not what I meant. Carry on. Nothing to see here. :D

Phantom-like Menace
01-20-2011, 01:56 AM
I could completely see this being a cool, fun environment even for kids. If we're worried about guns, it's not like Jawas are unarmed. Sure, they're really only dangerous to droids, but for a lot of kids, a gun's a gun. If it needs to be offensively armed, just add a storage compartment that launches some kind of scavenged battle droids. That fits what we know of Jawas.

Play areas I could imagine:

A panel on the back drops down to show the storage bay littered with junk and droids. This would have room to add droids and come with various bits and pieces to clutter up the area.

Below the storage bay, between the back treads, a panel opens up to release battle droids, in appearance something like a cross between destroyer droids and the chameleon droids from the Tartakovsky Clone Wars.

A middle area would open up to the droid factory some people have suggested. The droid factory area would have articulated arms and claws that hold BAD parts to assemble the droids, possibly a tub for "oil baths." Maybe they can even reuse the frame that the astromechs from Queen Amidala's starship plug into--either the one that came with the starship or (preferably) the one that came with R2-B1.

A panel just like the vintage Sandcrawler opens on the top, near the front to access the control center. This area at minimum would have an area for two drivers.

Below the control center, a panel drops down to launch some kind of smaller rover with seating for two Jawas and a storage area in the back for a droid or two. This vehicle could have an ion turret to disable droids.

Of course on one side, there will be the suction tube that will deliver droids into the droid factory.

When in the package, the treads would be one piece, the biggest, heaviest in the package. The main body would be split in two right down the middle, and the two pieces would nestle one inside the other to halve their thickness. The droid factory, and storage bays will be separate pieces that plug right onto the treads and possibly lend support to the two halves of the main body.

I think kids would have fun with that. I know I would, and I'm basically okay with the sandcrawler I already have.

Jayspawn
01-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't drop $100 for the AT-AT or the Falcon -but I would for a Sandcrawler!

mtriv73
01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
The rumor posting on RS just says they've "tossed around the idea," it doesn't even say it has started sculpting or mock-ups. It sounds like it would be toyfair 2012 or 2013 before we see anything from Hasbro on this. The only way I think we'll ever see this is if it is released the year ANH comes out in 3D.

bigbarada
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
It's a pretty weak rumor and I'm not even 100% sure I'd be interested in this. If Hasbro makes a $100 Sandcrawler, then they have absolutely no excuse whatsoever to NOT make a Sail Barge.

TheDarthVader
01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Please...Hasbro...do not do this! The sandcrawler is BORING! We want a Jabba the Hutt sail barge. If I have to buy two, I will! SAIL BARGE! SAIL BARGE!

Tycho
01-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Oh for sure, I want the Sailbarge 200x more, but I will buy a Super Sandcrawler.

As for Jabba's Sailbarge, I've said it hundreds of times - it is a MUST (like the Black Pearl was for the POTC line) and 2013 is the 30th Anniv. of ROTJ.

The Sailbarge vehicle is agressive (or can be made so with lots of deck cannons that can be removed) and Clone Wars can feature (actually either) vehicle some more at the same time - as could a live-action series about young Boba Fett.

Meanwhile, a 2013 Sailbarge would have to be shown by about Comic Con 2011 (maybe) as a late 2012 release of this vehicle would make sense (X-mas 2012) and then 2013, ROTJ's actual anniversary, could offer up a lot of Jabba The Hutt alien characters re-released, resculpted, or all-new like Sgt. Doayllyn and Cane Adiss, new Max Rebo Band figures, the Rancor re-release, Fozzic, more Nikto variations, a new (soft goods cloak) Bib Fortuna, SE Jabba Dancers re-released, while delaying any more Luke Jedis, Leia Slaves, Lando Skiffs, etc.

2013 would be a great year for the Ultimate Han Solo Carbonite that I've always wanted as well. I'm going to ask Darryl about that at Comic Con.

ROTJ has only 2 unique large vehicles: the Imperial Shuttle and the Sailbarge. The shuttle's done and an update wouldn't be that exciting.

Of course they could finally make a 7 to 9 foot Star Destroyer, but besides that being a great dream, it could be released for any of the OT movies and wouldn't necessarily say "ROTJ" as opposed to ANH or ESB.

Meanwhile, the Sandcrawler is SO ANH and really a great idea for the BAD play-pattern to continue. It can even have that Uncle Milton SW Learning Tool toy feel to it, in a way.

I don't like the Sandcrawler opening in halves down the middle though. I'd have removeable wall pannels allowing access to interior play similar to the BAT-AT. It would keep with the film's aesthetic.

El Chuxter
01-20-2011, 07:15 PM
The Sandcrawler also appeared in AOTC, seen opened for the first time in a film. They could cross-promote it that way. It could even come with an update of Anakin's swoop (or maybe the SOTE swoop) since they love sticking bikes in with these big vehicles.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2011, 03:14 AM
The Sandcrawler also appeared in AOTC, seen opened for the first time in a film. They could cross-promote it that way. It could even come with an update of Anakin's swoop (or maybe the SOTE swoop) since they love sticking bikes in with these big vehicles.
Re-enact the fun of Anakin going to find his beaten, dying mother before slaughtering an entire village! :p

Darth Metalmute
01-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Re-enact the fun of Anakin going to find his beaten, dying mother before slaughtering an entire village! :p

That will be what it opens up into; a Tuskin Raider camp. They will pack it with two jawas to drive the sandcrawler, and four tuskins that can be sliced to pieces.

Phantom-like Menace
01-21-2011, 03:45 PM
That will be what it opens up into; a Tuskin Raider camp. They will pack it with two jawas to drive the sandcrawler, and four tuskins that can be sliced to pieces.

Actually, even better, it will split in half. One half is the Tusken Raider camp, and the other half revolves over it like a camera wipe for censored action.

Tycho
01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Uggh! No half-splits for diorama landscape scenes! :mad: Grrrrrr!

This is a vehicle toy, and whether or not it functions as a playset, it should be a playset of the vehicle - just like all the other big toys (AT-AT etc).

What if the BMF opened up and it was the cantina inside?

What if the AT-AT opened up and it was Echo Base inside?

The Sandcrawler should be a Sandcrawler on the inside. It is not a MicroMachines toy! :mad: Grrrrr!

Blue2th
01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Ok it has to at least have moving treads.
Even some of the cheap military tanks in Target and in the past Walmart for 3.75 or 1:18 figures had those.

The molded tracks with training wheels underneath ain't gonna cut it like the old one had. Though if they make it that way I guess we got to deal with it. As long as it's huge.

Probably there will be some kind of apparatus to pick up Droids, a driver cockpit, maybe a little office break room to have lunch and do some trading deals? :squareeye

I seem to remember all kinds of things that were super hard to challenge in the first Super Nintendo Star Wars game. All kinds of side molded cannons and windows the little bugger Jawas would shoot from. They would go "daydee" when you shot them to collect their little heart points. All kinds of doors to go through and ledges to jump.

Darth Metalmute
01-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I seem to remember all kinds of things that were super hard to challenge in the first Super Nintendo Star Wars game. All kinds of side molded cannons and windows the little bugger Jawas would shoot from. They would go "daydee" when you shot them to collect their little heart points. All kinds of doors to go through and ledges to jump.

It would be cool if it included the boss from that level.

dindae
01-23-2011, 01:52 AM
At first when I heard this I was shocked at the ridiculousness of the idea. The first one stall forever while they tried to find a retailer for it. Then of course it was the huge disappointment for most. The only way I can see them doing it is using it a way to get out a droid factory since they do seem to be interested in doing that. I really don't see $100 being a very attractive price point though. The kid appeal for this in comparison to an AT-AT or the Falcon doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark.

El Chuxter
01-23-2011, 01:59 AM

Why not? We've already got all the figures, some complete with removable heads! :)

The Sandcrawler might not have the kid appeal that some of the previous BMF vehicles (using "MF" as the obscenity here and not for "Millennium Falcon" :p), but it might have appeal with adults who can't justify or simply don't want to re-buy vehicles, particularly those who only collect OT or movie stuff. Admittedly, that's probably not the largest target market.

But, dadblamit, I want a Sandcrawler the size of my couch for my Jawas to hang out in! At this point, the Sandcrawler, Sail Barge, Ewok Village, and possibly the Tantive IV would be the only things I'd be willing to spend that kind of money on. Honestly, I doubt I could even be interested by a Star Destroyer at this point; it would have to be woefully undersized or cost more than most SUVs. (I wouldn't mind a cheaper--maybe $50--Star Destroyer interior playset, not too unlike the vintage one.)

Obsession is Nute
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
My biggest worry is that if this is true and the Sandcrawler sells poorly, we will NEVER EVER see the Sail Barge. Even though the sail barge actually has something of an action orientation to it.

bigbarada
02-10-2011, 08:01 AM
According to this recent interview with Derryl DePriest, it looks like the Sandcrawler is not going to happen. Ever.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/home/Collectors_Edition_Spotlight_Derryl_DePriest_13655 5.asp

It's near the end, after the 1 hour, 20 minute mark.

El Chuxter
02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Gah, I hate podcasts. I can read faster than I can listen, and skim over stuff that doesn't interest me. However, based upon your comments, I am a very sad panda.

I'm just glad they instead got that set of Mandaloreans based on Hasbro sculptors made while the line was going strong. You know, the one everyone on Earth was begging for. That and the set of Royal Guard trainees in Power Ranger disguises. The one that didn't rot at Rite-Aid for $15 a few months later.

bigbarada
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
He pretty much lumped the Sail Barge into the same category as the Sandcrawler as well. In other words, probably never going to happen. :sad:

However, he did leave a tiny window of possibility open for a new Death Star Playset. Simply saying that it would require a theatrical rerelease of ANH before something like that would even be feasible. So, there's that.

El Chuxter
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
This is why they made Teek last year. So I wouldn't beat them with wet noodles.

Beast
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, look on the bright side... we do have the theatrical re-relases of the film in 3-D starting next year. So there's a chance that Hasbro could tie into those to re-lease some bigger ships. Maybe we can see a re-release/retooling of the Queen's Royal Starship or a larger Sith Infiltrator next year. A big Tantive IV tied into Revenge of the Sith or A New Hope would be great also.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm just glad they instead got that set of Mandaloreans based on Hasbro sculptors made while the line was going strong. You know, the one everyone on Earth was begging for. That and the set of Royal Guard trainees in Power Ranger disguises. The one that didn't rot at Rite-Aid for $15 a few months later.
They mentioned the Mandalorians thing in the podcast as well (though I haven't heard the whole thing yet), saying that every so often they find a theme and dig into it. They were inspired by all the Traviss Mandalorian stuff a few years back and based some of them off of the article she wrote for Insider.

But the point on that is, those are two completely different things. Regardless of the head sculpts, the Mandalorians are pretty much always popular, and those sets were mostly based on pre-existing figures, meaning tooling costs were minimal. The 2004 sandcrawler didn't do so well, and there was absolutely no tooling required (which was probably part of the reason it didn't do so hot, but I don't know). The cost and risk of sculpting a few heads and a female Mandalorian is absolutely insignificant next to sculpting a huge sandcrawler, a vehicle which is not action-oriented and does nothing in the film. The Crucible set was indeed a failure, but the figures also re-used some old parts and were themselves all the same body sculpt, and then Vader and Palpatine were of course old. So again, nowhere near as big a risk as a huge vehicle.

It's completely within everything they've ever done or said to not make a big sandcrawler, so I don't know why anyone's faulting them for it.

El Chuxter
02-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't believe the girl Mandaloreans were existing sculpts. I don't recall ever seeing Brenda Fett in the movies.

The 2004 Sandcrawler didn't, I think, fail because it was a boring vehicle. It failed because it was an insanely overpriced, an awful toy to begin with (and had the electronics removed), an exclusive through a channel where no one who wasn't planning to buy it would ever see, and packed with two reissue figures and a repaint. It would be like releasing the 1978 X-Wing in 2004 with no electronics as a Diamond Comics exclusive, with the POTF2 X-Wing Luke and R2-D2 figures, for the low low price of $90. I don't think that would sell, either.

I'm not so much "faulting" them as lamenting that they apparently just don't want my money as much as they used to.

Sean the Hutt
02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
can I get this in writing? I will start building my own. I can't believe they are kind of killing star wars. I have purchased every big vehicle. Even the prequel stuff. I like it. I don't get why they will mot make the sail barge or sandcrawler. As a young kid I thought the sandcrawler ws awesome. I live in So-cal desert, so maybe that was it.
Check this hasbro. have you seen what a lego sandcrawler goes for online?
250-350 dollars! So don't tell me that it is too expensive to make. you guys are just becoming to cheap. re-tooling costs? You skimp every chance you get on that stuff. are you a toy company? or just in it for the cash alone? If that is the case we need more competition.
like someone else said. i guess they don't want my money that much. I am glad to save it. i don't want more clone wars crap if it means original trilogy suffers.
Hasbro...collectors spend money. (especially if you build what they want) Parents sometimes spend money. kids don't have that much money.
Shoot a sandcrawler makes a good huge storage box for a crap load of figures and smaller ships. A parent might actually appreciate that
I have my rebel transport...guess what...I think it is cool. it should be twice the size, and it has a figure holder feature. The older it gets, the cooler it gets.
I seem to be going from a full collector to just a random collector.

Beast
02-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Lego is sort of a different beast. So them doing a $250.00 set is no big deal.

Sean the Hutt
02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't see the difference. Unless you are saying only rich people buy legos, then I kind of get it. Other than that. what someone will pay for a plastic toy is relevant for lego or any other toy.

LusiferSam
02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't see the difference. Unless you are saying only rich people buy legos, then I kind of get it. Other than that. what someone will pay for a plastic toy is relevant for lego or any other toy.

The difference is a Lego Sandcrawler today can be a home tomorrow and tank the day after and what ever you can image after that. They are two totally different toy systems. It's like asking a baseball team to play football. Yes they're are both sports and both are played with a ball, but that's end the similarities end.

Sean the Hutt
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
most kids build that lego toy once, then start to lose the pieces.
As far as 300 dollar sandcrawlers go. (Apples to Apples) I would rather have a 3 3/4 inch scale. I just don't buy hasbro's excuses on this issue.
How about this.Like sideshow taking over the 12 inch scale. Why not let them or someone else do the 3 3/4 ships. I do not mean the fx 1000 dollar movie props, but reasonable large scale toys. Hasbro does not want to do it.

Sean the Hutt
02-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Galoob action fleet had the right ideas going. However they were cut off, and bought out by...Hasbro. I still have the death star and hoth playsets. good ideas. If they had made a sandcrawler that would have been cool. Obviously the scale is different, yet the Death star concept was convertable to a larger scale and might have been workable.
lego too has the right idea. Expensive but lots of play value in there sets. hasbro could learn a thing or two
in the podcast the guy said, "kids play differently now..." yeah they get bored with figures that have no focus, central base, etc.
the best things I own or owned as a kid. My space 1999 eagle 1 spacecraft...a playset of sorts. my GI JOE battle base...VERY COOL! My vintage death star ...all gave more purpose to the action figures, as well as keeping the interest going to keep buying figures.
I ask you, I don't know. did hasbro lose money by selling the new AT AT's at 50 bucks, or whatever the deal was? Just curious.

El Chuxter
02-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Probably has more to do with the retailers. They don't like large items with a slow turnaround. Since there are, for all intents and purposes, three retailers now that carry toys, they have a lot more clout than in the 80s, when there were dozens, if not hundreds.

Ah, KB, Lionel, Hills, Ames, Richway, and all you other long-gone department and toy stores, if only we'd known what we were losing when we lost you.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't believe the girl Mandaloreans were existing sculpts. I don't recall ever seeing Brenda Fett in the movies.

The 2004 Sandcrawler didn't, I think, fail because it was a boring vehicle. It failed because it was an insanely overpriced, an awful toy to begin with (and had the electronics removed), an exclusive through a channel where no one who wasn't planning to buy it would ever see, and packed with two reissue figures and a repaint. It would be like releasing the 1978 X-Wing in 2004 with no electronics as a Diamond Comics exclusive, with the POTF2 X-Wing Luke and R2-D2 figures, for the low low price of $90. I don't think that would sell, either.

I'm not so much "faulting" them as lamenting that they apparently just don't want my money as much as they used to.
I already mentioned the female Mando in my last post, to point out that one new body sculpt out of ten figures is really not a huge amount of tooling, certainly nowhere near what it would require to bring a sandcrawler to the line.

I agree that the 2004 sandcrawler had numerous problems with it. I wasn't talking about its non-action role to say why the last one failed, but to say why they won't likely revisit it. Because going off of everything they say, there was never any reason to expect a new one, so I am really unsure as to why anyone ever got their hopes up.

bigbarada
02-11-2011, 08:17 AM
For those who haven't listened to the entire podcast, the Sandcrawler got brought up when Dan Curto asked DDP what would be his "dream project" for the Star Wars line. He listed a new Death Star Playset and an all-new Sandcrawler as the two items that he personally would love to own for his collection. Unfortunately, both would be nearly impossible to produce in the current market. The Sail Barge was mentioned next and he added that in as another vehicle that he would personally love to own, but would be highly unlikely to get approval from the bean counters at Hasbro. So, DDP said that he would have to settle for making his own customized Sandcrawler for his personal collection if he ever wanted to own one.

So, these guys want these toys as much as we do, however they have obligations to Hasbro that trump their personal wishlists. And they're not going to risk damaging the brand or even losing their jobs just to get a toy for their collection. I think some people are unfairly vilifying the Hasbro Star Wars team here.

Sean the Hutt
02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I actually appreciated his honesty. I do villafy hasbro...they are cheap. they complain about costs, yet use every old mold and figure bash left and right. it is ok to be a bean counter, I am saying, these are toys. make them, or get out of the business and let someone else try. seriously...after 15 years, no death star playset? I can understand the sandcrawler, but no sail barge? these are major set pieces and it just comes off as not really giving a crap about anytjing but cash. that is okay. just admit it. Now, i did not think we would get a BMF, or a new at at. for those things i am appreciative. So why is it so unbelievable we might want more good things? It never hurts to dream and want. my disappointment is to show hasbro that it is losing some of their old school otc collectors. I can build my own custom stuff. i would rather have hasbro do it. i saw a pretty sweet sail barge online the other day. looked cool, and not to difficult to make. just time and cash.
Like I said. it would be nice to see more competition in the market. does mattel attempt to make anything anymore? Now I will say hasbro is probably better than mattel. There does that make everything better! lol

Further if the next years are going to be figure after figure with less ships over the 30 dollar price point...then I am out. a few figures aside here and there. I buy the figures to go with the ships and playsets. I will be happy to just finish off jabba's denziens, and cantina patrons and be done. Oh, by the way can we get a proper cantina made? What? no kids parents will but them a bar set? They did when I was a kid!
I have been slowing down collecting, hasbro will help me do that by not producing cool stuff. That simple. No hating, just reality. I had fun, and did not expect the star wars line to become permanent back in 95. So it's all good.

Kenner knew how to party...I don't know this Hasbro dude!

Beast
02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
The world is a very different place than when most of us were "kids".

Big expensive playsets and massive toys don't sell like they did back in the day. Kids are more interested in video games than they are in action figures and such anymore.

And yes, Hasbro kitbashes and such when possible. But why shouldn't they? People don't realize how staggering the price increases for producing stuff overseas has become. It's about 40% more expensive to have things made overseas than it was just 5 years ago.

Also, a quick note about my Lego Comment. The reason Lego can get away with making these big risky ships.... is because they're a building toy. Outide of whatever custom parts they need for a set, the others just need to be cranked out in the appropriate colors. So it's not as much of a risk for them to make a big risky ship. So they really are two entirely different beasts.

bigbarada
02-11-2011, 09:14 PM
they are cheap.

I used to think the exact same thing about Kenner when I was a kid. It frustrated me to no end that they were STILL using the same outdated molds for Darth Vader, Chewbacca and the Stormtrooper as late as 1985. And why did they never make an R2 figure with a third leg available on a single card? Because they were cheap. Plus, they never included figures with their vehicles, like Hasbro did for the GI Joe line, so that seemed cheap to me as well. I think we need to reign in the overly-rosy memories of the vintage Kenner days.

Hasbro and Kenner have one thing in common, they exist to make money. That's it. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Kenner pretty much abandoned playsets after 1983, only rereleasing retooled versions of the Droid Factory (repurposed as Jabba's Dungeon) as Sears exclusives during Christmas 1983 and 1984. So, you could see that Kenner was moving away from playsets back in the mid-1980s as well.

Sean the Hutt
02-11-2011, 11:19 PM
good point. it is just another reason I wonder why no one else gets into the business. I remember the potj a wings were being produced in Mexico. Then everything went back to china. does anyone know why? Just Curious.
I am still hoping for a virago, as I am hoping they still have the prototype. Xizor does not seem to be a big seller, but that ship is cool.
I noticed I don't collect much ,as there is little left to collect. The vintage line is good, if you can find it. I guess after 15 years, it seems strange not to have such play sets made.
I did look into injection molding machines. Yes way to expensive to build a box with treads...is it really that hard to build a box with treads? To do it right I guess it is. i then checked out vaccume forming, however that is just to flimsy of an option. So the best option is to make a custom from scraps. The problem is getting the treads to look right. most rc tanks have lower tread height....Anyway....

If kids are not really into action figures anymore, and I agree with that to a large extent. I wonder how much the collectors and nostalgic parents are actually carrying the line. I still see kids in the star wars aisle. Though I see more parents buying for kids really. The newer generations are just not as interested in non electronic entertainment. there seems to be an early age cut off for action figure toys. Not sure exactly.
Economies as they are I am glad we are getting the BMF type stuff. from a historic standpoint. I have noticed that toys from the depression. Or other down times are some of the coolest, and rarest. usually due to low numbers and lack of affordability . I grabbed another set of endor pilots today. I figure, these may never be carded or made again figures. I better pick them up now. especially since I have been waiting for a Grix figure for years. On that one I say thanks Hasbro. More pilots are cool.

ok if kenner can make a 7 foot GI JOE aircraft carrier....I want a 7 foot nebulan B frigate at least! LOL peace.....

bigbarada
02-12-2011, 07:59 AM
ok if kenner can make a 7 foot GI JOE aircraft carrier....I want a 7 foot nebulan B frigate at least! LOL peace.....

The 7-foot USS Flag aircraft carrier was made by Hasbro, not Kenner. And we don't live in a 1985 economy anymore.

We also have to remember that Hasbro doesn't sell toys to consumers, they sell toys to retailers (which is the purpose of Toy Fair). So Hasbro has to convince the Walmarts, Targets and TRUs that these toys will sell and those retailers then buy them from Hasbro and sell them to us. If the toy doesn't sell, then Hasbro has their work cut out for them if they want to convince those retailers to buy up their products for the next year.

That's what happened with Legacy and why the EU wave ended up as a TRU exclusive. That wave was supposed to be wave 1 of Legacy for 2010, but Legacy sold so poorly in 2009 that the retailers refused to order the EU wave. Thus Hasbro had to wheel and deal a bit and try to sell it as an exclusive instead, TRU bit on that and that's why the wave ended up as an exclusive. The simple fact that the Hasbro Star Wars team put in the extra effort shows how much they really care about the fans.

Beast
02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Exactly. It's easy for people to demonize Hasbro. But it's not like they're run by Sith Lords.

Yeah, sometimes the kitbashes and repaints can get frustrating. But Hasbro has to make money, as well as satisfy the bean counters, who have to satisfy the share holders. So it's not like they're making these choices to be cheap or put no effort into things. It's just a reality of the current market, especially with the economy.

Frankly we're almost lucky that we've got so many BIG ships the last few years.
And we're even more lucky they were successful at retail, or they wouldn't risk making more.

Sean the Hutt
02-12-2011, 01:00 PM
well then...hasbro can make cool stuff...anyway the flagg reference was a joke. you guys need to lighten up. I'm over it. God forbid anyone try's to laugh around here!
Peace

Sean the Hutt
02-17-2011, 02:24 AM
LEGO Systems Records Over $1.0BN in 2010 U.S. Consumer Sales; Drives Category and Industry Shares to Record Levels

like I said, "hasbro could learn something from LEGO!"
LEGO= WINNERS!
just another 2 cents from me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-17-2011, 02:31 AM
LEGO Systems Records Over $1.0BN in 2010 U.S. Consumer Sales; Drives Category and Industry Shares to Record Levels

like I said, "hasbro could learn something from LEGO!"
LEGO= WINNERS!
just another 2 cents from me.

Cool, then stop buying Hasbro, go buy Lego, and be happy.

Beast
02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Cool, then stop buying Hasbro, go buy Lego, and be happy.
No kidding. Lego is such a completely different beast, it's almost silly to compare the two.

bigbarada
02-17-2011, 11:55 AM
No kidding. Lego is such a completely different beast, it's almost silly to compare the two.

Exactly, for Lego figures, they use one body brick, one head, one set of legs (with the exception of the shorter characters that get a different set of unarticulated legs), one set of arms and one hand almost across the board for all Lego minifigures. And they're the exact same parts that Lego was using for their minifigures when I was playing with Lego toys 25-30 years ago.

When Lego is coming up with new Star Wars vehicle sets, those vehicles are constructed with almost entirely existing parts. They might have to customize a few pieces for a set like the Sail Barge, but they don't have to start from scratch on an entirely new mold that they will only get one use out of, like Hasbro does.

The business structure of Lego is not even comparable to Hasbro.

Sean the Hutt
02-17-2011, 03:44 PM
i wish i had collected the Lego sets.
it so fun to get you guys mad! ha ha
Seriously, if all I am buying is a few figures a year. i would say I am not a collector any more. I sporadically visit the forums here. I have a somewhat busy life these days. The toys don't mean that much. i have been giving so many toys away, I don't see me collecting much in the next 5-10 years...I am just too old to keep doing it for any real reason.
You guys have fun. I think I will go over to rebelscum, or yakface for a while. No need to get you all upset! ha ha ha. Good hunting!
LEGO LEGO LEGO!
LMAO

bigbarada
02-17-2011, 04:05 PM
No anger here. Just stating facts. If anyone sounds a little annoyed, it's because these "arguments" you are bringing up have been refuted many, many times in the past. So they're not hard to shoot down, it just gets tiresome shooting them down over and over again.

Sean the Hutt
02-17-2011, 04:14 PM
ya all 2-5 of you! No one said you had to reply! Maybe I just want what I want and use this place to vent. Apperantly, venting is not allowed. No worries. I don't need to post either. I have never attacked anyone on this sight. I won't start now.
Tycho....lets keep in touch. I will still read your posts. You are a good writer and I hope you are using it outside the forums. I have your number and will drop you a line. or give me a call. I'm getting rid of a lot stuff. if yopu are looking for something old school. let me know. I will probably just give it to you.
until another time...see ya

Beast
02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow. Overreact much?

JEDIpartner
02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Kinda makes you miss Deadeye-- doesn't it?