PDA

View Full Version : Who here makes their own Dioramas?

Amanamike
03-04-2002, 12:32 AM
How many of you forum posters actually set up their star wars figures?? And if you do how long do you leave them up before you repose them?? And also when you set them up what kind of items do you use to make the backgrounds with??

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 05:27 AM
I just usually set up my figures and however, the only backgrounds I've really ever used were the 3D Playset dioramas.

I had a giant Rebel base set up with every Rebel figure (including all the Hans, Lukes, Obi-Wans, Leia, etc. I have) and everyonce in awhile I would usually rearrange the base to find a way to accomodate new stuff I've gotten or just for the heck of it. I also have an Imperial base set up which I often re-arrange and right now the Imperials have taken over the 3D Cantina. :D

187-Maul
03-04-2002, 08:17 AM
I made two dioramas where I keep all my figs
one theed hangar and one self-created cantina
but they're both not finished yet I could maybe though make some pics and send them

spacelord
03-04-2002, 10:06 AM
I have 2 shelves about 2' X 4'. I rotate several displays on them and each is there for 4 -6 weeks. While they are out, they get re-arrange constantly. One shelf is actually at play level. I like to use the Hasbro playsets if there is one. Otherwise, I make parts out of poplar. It is cheaper than most hardwood, easy to find, fairly clear (compaired to pine), and easy to cut. I would love to use some aluminum, or even brass, but they don't cover that on the New Yankee Workshop. The backgrounds are mostly pictures I downloaded. They only really work as window shots though.

ACPin
03-04-2002, 11:09 PM
:confused: Am I supposed to reply to this post? Hmmm. :D

My dioramas are setup one at a time on a 5' x 12' table. After I'm done taking the pics, kids played out the scene or getting ready for the next dio, the pieces go back into the storage boxes.

Dar' Argol
03-05-2002, 09:21 PM
I actually have a 2' x 3 1/2' glass display case with 3 shelves. The top shelf is all SW figs. The other 2 are assorted figs. I have Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan set up to face Darth Maul. I have the blasted Greedo facing off against the cantina Han. And other assorted poses.

I am in the process of buliding a scene. Well, its not an exact scene. I have built a 1'x1'x2' box. The top and front are custom cut plexi-glass. It is going to be the endor scene. I have Luke and Leia on a Speeder Bike, a Biker Scout w/bike, Endor Han, 2 Endor soilders, 4 Ewoks, C3po, R2-D2, and another Biker Scout(dirty one from POTJ). I have dowel rods made to look like tree trunks, artifiacal ferns and moss from my local craft store. The top of the plexi-glass will be painted like the tops of trees so that(theoretically) when the light I mount on the top shines through, it will look like sun coming down from the trees.

I am faced with this problem though and maybe someone here can help. I need the background. I am a pretty good painter BUT, I cannot paint the endor forrest to my liking. So I thought maybe I could find a poster or large picture of the Endor Forrest or maybe of a redwood forrest. It need to be big enough so that I can cover the back and 2 sides. 1'x2' for the back and 1'x1' for the 2 sides. If its a pic of Endor it CANNOT have any characters in it for obvious reasons. I would also prefer a poster or the like, a computer print out will allow the glue to blead through and will fade over time.

Any help from anyone will be very helpful. And once its done I will post some pics. :D

ACPin
03-05-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
I am faced with this problem though and maybe someone here can help. I need the background. I am a pretty good painter BUT, I cannot paint the endor forrest to my liking. So I thought maybe I could find a poster or large picture of the Endor Forrest or maybe of a redwood forrest. It need to be big enough so that I can cover the back and 2 sides. 1'x2' for the back and 1'x1' for the 2 sides. If its a pic of Endor it CANNOT have any characters in it for obvious reasons. I would also prefer a poster or the like, a computer print out will allow the glue to blead through and will fade over time.

Any help from anyone will be very helpful. And once its done I will post some pics. :D
Your best bet for a poster is to get it from the frames retailers. I've been lucky to get a few which I've used for my dioramas. Ask for a California redwoods scenery if they got any. One other source would be the model train hobby shops for the backgrounds but it can get expensive.

Or you can scan the backdrop from the 12" Biker Scout with Speederbike and edit out the troops in the background.

General Veers
03-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Anyone have any pics of their diaramas??

187-Maul
03-07-2002, 06:09 PM
I made pics today - will send them in tomorrow
but remember they are not finished yet

187-Maul
03-07-2002, 06:10 PM
with they I ment the dioramas - sorry:p

187-Maul
03-08-2002, 11:02 AM
this is the right side of my self-created cantina
I wanted to put all my figs in it so I didn't care about what movie they were from

187-Maul
03-08-2002, 11:03 AM
left side

187-Maul
03-08-2002, 11:04 AM
theed hangar right side - the good ones :)

187-Maul
03-08-2002, 11:05 AM
the left side - the bad guys :)

187-Maul
03-08-2002, 11:06 AM
another pic

187-Maul
03-08-2002, 11:08 AM
and just for fun the vitrine I keep the rest of my figs in

187-Maul
03-08-2002, 11:58 AM
sorry for the turned pic - here's a normal one
BTW what you guys think of my dioramas?

Amanamike
03-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Nice stuff 187-maul!!! I like your cantina diorama, looks cool with the assortment of guys in there from all the movies. And i really like your case wiht all your other figures on. Thanks for the pics they help with future ideas!! Send more if you like!!;)

ACPin
03-14-2002, 12:13 PM
187-Maul,

Be sure to update us when you've completed your dios!
:cool:

AT-AT Man
03-14-2002, 08:51 PM
You really have a lot of darth mauls. Hence your name, 187-Maul

187-Maul
03-15-2002, 08:48 AM
I know - but I'm still looking for the dark side 2-pack that's the only maul which I don't have (except sith speeder game but since it's just a cloak difference and isn't anything official I don't count that one)

linsjedi
03-24-2002, 10:34 AM
I onced worked for a childrens museum/creative learning center and one of the displays they had were toys from all over the world. from time to time one of the display areas was open for whatever. i had two different diorama's displayed there.

one was the luke and obi-wan sandcrawler encounter and the other was the loading of han solo into slave 1 on bespin.

the kids that knew about star wars freaked out. that wanted so bad to get in and check things out. all displays used a mix of vintage and new toys.

the sandcrawler i have is one of my greatest pieces. next to my carded boba fett from jedi.

linsjedi

jedihunter25
03-29-2002, 12:05 AM
I have two main shelves that I custom built. One is for ANH which is 7 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet long. The other is for ESB which is 7 feet tall and 8 feet long (for the Hoth battle). I have one Durashelf (plastic shelf found at Walmart) that I have for Ep.1 and I am waiting for the Imperial Shuttle so I can determine how big the ROTJ is going to be. The first custom diorama that I built is for the dewbacks. I made that by taking the back scene out of the 12" dewback box and placing the regular dewbacks and sandtroopers on it. A couple of months ago I found a site called NiubniubsUniverse.com that has textures you can download and tell you how to make them (mostly out of foamcore). You can print these textures (or make them yourself with a printshop program) on sticker/decal paper. so far I've built the inside of the Star Destroyer for the Bounty Hunters, the Rebel Blockade Runner for when Leia gives R2 the plans,and the Trash Compactor. Right now I'm buiding the area where Luke gets his han cut off. This is the hardest one that I've encounted. I've been working on it for a month and a half now. When I am done with it I will take pictures of it, and the others, for you can see.

jedihunter25
03-29-2002, 12:09 AM
Opps!!I ment hand not han.

A.J.
03-29-2002, 01:31 PM
I've been working on recreating the hoth medical center. I have the bacta room and window completed so far.

Amanamike
03-29-2002, 11:24 PM
AJ that is so sweet!!!!!!! That is awesome stuff man. You have to tell me how you did that. Like the walls and lighting. Great work, you should submit that to SSG so everyone can see it. And again great work, thats the reason I collect figures, to one day do what you do with them.

Dar' Argol
03-29-2002, 11:35 PM
ACPin, I checked around my area and I cannot find anyone with a poster of even the red wood forrest!!! Can you give me some names of places or web sites I can order this from???

ACPin
03-31-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
ACPin, I checked around my area and I cannot find anyone with a poster of even the red wood forrest!!! Can you give me some names of places or web sites I can order this from???
The frames retailer where I got mine from is a local store that has gone under. As for online sites, you could try doing a search for model train hobby shops for their backgrounds/backdrops that they use for scenery. I can't personally vouch for them since I didn't buy from any but they are expensive after I viewed their sites.

A.J.
04-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Amanamike
AJ that is so sweet!!!!!!! That is awesome stuff man. You have to tell me how you did that. Like the walls and lighting. Great work, you should submit that to SSG so everyone can see it. And again great work, thats the reason I collect figures, to one day do what you do with them.

Thanks, Amanamike. But I can only take a little credit. The graphics for the walls were downloaded from www.niubniubsuniverse.com. Frank's diorama's are amazing and after following his lead, I'm starting to feel a little more confident working with foamcore. I printed the graphics from his site onto label paper using a laserprinter. The lighting was my doing. It's basically a 10 light string of white holiday lights. A section of the floor of the diorama is carved out to accommodate one light beneath the tank. One light is masked off with foil behind the wall and the remaining 8 are divided between the two ceiling cuts. The cutaways in the ceiling are covered with a thin white plastic to diffuse the light. I've heard of some people adding a small fish tank pump to make Luke's mask bubble. I might do that before I finish off the ceiling. I wish I were going to Celebration 2 as it would be cool to go to Niubniub's Diorama workshop.

OC47150
04-11-2002, 02:29 PM
I have various dioramas scattered across my basement.
* Death Star playset on a table.
* The Land of the Jawas playset is on a bookcase.
* The STAPs attacking Qui Gon, Obi Wan and Jar Jar on a card table.
* Jedi training on Dagobah on a trunk.
* Jabba's palace on a bookcase.
* On the coffee table I'm working on a Rebel briefing scene before the Battle of Endor.

I'd like to do more dioramas and more complex ones, too. I've been aiming to add orange lights to my carbonite freezing chamber playset but haven't gotten around to it. Now that I can get outside and spraypaint again, I'm going to try and recreate the preparing Anakin's pod racer scene from Phantom Menace. Watched the sequence multiple times on DVD, sketching a plan, and now I have to do it.

187-Maul
04-27-2002, 08:04 PM
I'm at the moment planning to do a little diorama for my 25th anniversary vader/kenobi duel
it'll be 30cm wide x 25cm x 16cm high and will show the two dueling at the front, the door behind them and a couple of troopers standing behind the door (like in the movie)
I'll make it out of foamcore and will probably use niuniub's download textures

SNAYSON
05-08-2002, 11:37 AM
cool diorama's 187-maul!

i'll have to post mine in the future!

187-Maul
05-08-2002, 02:04 PM
what scenes did you make snayson?

SNAYSON
05-08-2002, 03:58 PM
187-MAUL

I'm currently Redoning my cantina set. The Set currently holds all my figures for display. working on a "parking lot" for the at ats, beasts and space ships.

187-Maul
05-08-2002, 04:11 PM
sounds cool
hope to see some pics soon

Cap
05-19-2002, 03:12 AM
Hello all, quite new here.

I haven't tried to do a Star Wars diorama yet, but I was one of the few that did an ALIENS LV426 diorama using the 3 3/4 GIJOES.

Was planning on trying to do a Tatooine for my MicroMachines, using one of the older movie cards as a reference. I do historical and fantasy dios in that scale, but wanted to try a few StarWars using AF and MM's.

Great site here by the way. Lots of talent and info.

Cap

Croaker
05-24-2002, 12:56 PM
I've got a Jabba's Palace diorama that I made out of foam core board.
I just got bored one day and decided to make something.
It used to have the Rancor under it but I no longer have room to display it that way.

SNAYSON
05-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Croaker
I've got a Jabba's Palace diorama that I made out of foam core board.
I just got bored one day and decided to make something.
It used to have the Rancor under it but I no longer have room to display it that way.

i'd like to see that! got pics to show?

Croaker
05-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Might take a while.
All my stuff is in Canada and I'm in England

browndroid
05-24-2002, 01:39 PM
ive been trying to get into it, i havent had much time though. today im gonna look for some ideas online

scruffziller
05-26-2002, 07:14 PM
I will most definately have to take some pictures of my collection, and diarama's, I have so many figs for Jabba's palace that I can barely fit them all into it. I had to make a seperate diarama just for the basement. Where the "Gonk" droid is getting branded.

scruffziller
05-26-2002, 07:15 PM
Plus I have an awesome cantina diarama and a full 12" scale of the entire Bith cantina band.

OneArmedJango
06-09-2002, 05:56 AM
Hey 187-Maul, You are varry good. I love all the sets you buld. I was hoping you could PM me some pointers. Like what kind of Material to use ect. It would be a big help.
-One

187-Maul
06-09-2002, 07:16 AM
just pm'd you OAJ:)

OneArmedJango
06-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Hey thanks for the PM 187. Ok, I am going to start on my first 3 3/4" figer set tomarrow. Soon I will be on summer break and need somthing to do before I start my Job so this will be good I am going to make a bar of some kind but do not know yet. Well wish my luck every one I'm going to need it.

OneArmedJango
06-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Hey dose any one know how big I should make the base? I want to fit a lot of people it this one.

187-Maul
06-12-2002, 10:58 AM
well good luck OAJ:D
if you don't know how to make the cantina exactly (plan-wise I mean) maybe some people here could give you some advice
before I made my cantina I made several plans first, maybe I could scn one in and post it here so you can see how I wanted to make mine at first (changed the plans to the current one when I had already bought the wood)

OneArmedJango
06-12-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey all I worked on my Bat set for about 5 houres yester day and It's almost done!!! I will post it when it is.

OneArmedJango
06-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Sorry thats Bar set.

OneArmedJango
06-13-2002, 02:08 AM
Sorry but i can't get a pic on. My camera isent working.