PDA

View Full Version : Your Home Theater Setup

SirSteve
03-03-2002, 11:46 PM
I'd like to hear about everyone's home theater setups... even some pictures would be cool.

Personally, I have an all Sony setup... Sony 7.1 (yes, 7) with a 12" powered subwoofer, CD/DVD changer, DirecTV and a 35" TV. I plan on getting an HDTV when more channels are available and the price for a 60" hit the $2,000 mark. I have about 55 DVD's in my collection...

I am currently looking for a new house and plan on dedicating a room to turn into my own "home theater" with a 10' screen and theater seating of about 10 people. It's my destiny...

:D

vulcantouch
03-03-2002, 11:50 PM
. . . what y'alls Watchin on em (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216)'s what I really wanna hear about :D

Beast
03-03-2002, 11:57 PM
Sweet set-up Sir Steve, you better invite me when you get that "home theater" set up. I'd love to see Star Wars on one of those, especially the original versions. You need way more DVD's though Sir Steve, and you should use DVDProfiler, so we can see what you have. :D

Currently I have a 27" TV, Pioneer Laserdisc player, a GE VCR (cause I never use it, I haven't upgraded to somthing better), and of course my Sony DVD player. No surround sound system yet, not as important to me right now. :)

Movie wise, I have 200+ VHS tapes with Mystery Science Theater recorded on them. 40 Laserdiscs, including the all important Star Wars: Definative Collection and Star Wars: Special Edition Box sets. And finally around 100 DVD's, which you can see in the link in my Sig. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
03-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Sweet set-up Sir Steve, you better invite me when you get that "home theater" set up. I'd love to see Star Wars on one of those, especially the original versions. You need way more DVD's though Sir Steve, and you should use DVDProfiler, so we can see what you have. :D

Currently I have a 27" TV, Pioneer Laserdisc player, a GE VCR (cause I never use it, I haven't upgraded to somthing better), and of course my Sony DVD player. No surround sound system yet, not as important to me right now. :)

Movie wise, I have 200+ VHS tapes with Mystery Science Theater recorded on them. 40 Laserdiscs, including the all important Star Wars: Definative Collection and Star Wars: Special Edition Box sets. And finally around 100 DVD's, which you can see in the link in my Sig. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks. I've actually only been collecting DVD's for about 4 months, when I got a real surround sound system. I'll check out that DVD Profiler site though.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Everything is in my computer except the tv of course :) I have a creative pcdvd with the newest creative digital soundcard. Hooked up to that are my 5.1 digital surround sound speakers and subwoofer and I hooked my dvd up to my tv so I can watch movies on that...I'm not sure what size it is...somewhere's in the middle...not small but definitely not big enough :) I have about 30 dvd's. I also share the same dream as you Sir Steve. Good luck to you getting it soon :) You'll have to post pictures for all of us to drool over. hehe

:crazed:

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm ashamed to say that I don't really have a huge sound system or large screen TV to watch my DVD's on. I am an actor and am constantly on the go and I move quite often, so I never really invested in something like that because it would be a huge pain to haul around everywhere. Plus a lot of my money gets sucked into collecting SW figures anyway, so my money is being spent somewhere else and that already takes up enough space here. Although someday when I decide to settle down I shall invest in a great home theatre sysytem.

Admiral LSD
03-04-2002, 05:09 AM
My "home theater" setup consists of a Philips Hi-Fi Stereo VCR whose audio output is routed into a Sanyo mini stereo (can't afford a surround sound setup yet, I've had my eyes on the Yamaha TSS-1 system though. It might not be the loudest but its at AUD$499 its among the cheapest) and whose video foes into a 51cm NEC TV. For DVD playback I simply use my PS2. Its played all but 1 of the 25 DVDs I own. The symptoms exhibited by the 25th indicate a faulty disc but without a real DVD player to test it on I'm not sure.

On VHS I have all 19 James Bond films, Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers, the first South Park boxed set and Cartmans Mom is a Dirty Slut.

On DVD I have the Bubblegum Crisis Mega Series boxed set (all 8 BGC OAVs, some music videos and the Hurricane Live! DVD) (Region 1 import, it isn't available in my native Region 4), Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, The Matrix, Goldfinger, Ghost in the Shell, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Volumes 1-6 and Neon Genesis Evangelion Collections 0:1-0:7. Other members of my family own the following between them: The Big Chill, Looking for Alibrandi, Bicentennial Man, Little Women and The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour.

Rollo Tomassi
03-04-2002, 08:12 AM
I won't buy Sony. I used to work in Best Buy's customer service repair area, and 80% of the broken stuff coming back was Sony. My former roomate insisted on getting an entirely Sony HTS, and his TV crapped out on him six months later. Sony eats.

I've got a 35" Toshiba TV, A Pioneer receiver, a Toshiba DVD player, and a GOVideo dual deck VRC. I originally bought a Pioneer rack system about 10 years ago, so I still have the tape deck (never gets used...who listens to tapes anymore?) and 5.0 speakers from that, but I upgraded the receiver for more power and more outputs on the back (the old one didn't have DVD, etc). I shan't bother to upgrade my 5.0 speakers for awhile because I live in an apartment and can't turn the volume up anyway. For that same reason I don't have a sub.

My goal/wish/destiny is to have a nice big rear projection jobby with line doubler (or quadrupler) and a kickin' 7.1.1 system. Nothin' else in the room but an easy chair (and a little table for my potato chips and beverage). Just so I can watch the opening sequence to Star Wars Episode IV. Honestly, is there anything cooler? The opening scrawl and the Star Destroyer coming from "overhead" all in insanely loud surround?:D :D

I have about 600 VHS tapes stored at my parents house in boxes, except for old standbys like the Indiana Jones Trilogy, E.T. and of course, Star Wars.

I have about 400 DVDs and counting.

Admiral LSD
03-04-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Just so I can watch the opening sequence to Star Wars Episode IV. Honestly, is there anything cooler? The opening scrawl and the Star Destroyer coming from "overhead" all in insanely loud surround?:D :D

I have to admit that that sequence is pretty damn cool and I'm not even the worlds biggest Star Wars fan.

stillakid
03-04-2002, 11:24 AM
12" B&W Zenith, 1/2" speaker with Betamax, sitting next to a combo AM/8Track Sears stereo system.

Oh wait...you mean now?;)

Rollo Tomassi
03-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
12" B&W Zenith, 1/2" speaker with Betamax, sitting next to a combo AM/8Track Sears stereo system.

Oh wait...you mean now?;)

Heh. My dad has his stereo set up from the 70's still up and running. His receiver has SWITCHES.:eek: Pretty funny.

I got my surround sound stuff before I bought my 35" TV, so the first time I watched SW in surround, it was on a 12" Hitatchi.:rolleyes: