PDA

View Full Version : Retail is way too expensive

AmanaMatt
01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Dear Hasbro,

I know you dont directly set the price of what each retailer will sell your Vintage Star Wars figures, but with TRU asking $10 each, Target wanting $9 each, and Walmart asking $8 plus, you have priced out collectors such as myself.....the figures are just not worth that much given the quality level. Sure, some figures are wonderful, such as the new Gammorean Guard and some are painful reminders of mediocrity, such as the 'new' ceremonial Han. I would never pay $9 for a figure like that.

When I paid $6 each for the Return of the Jedi wave, I thought that was a steal. Now that the retail average is about $9, I dont feel soo guilty

Thank you

Matt

Beast
01-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Sadly things are likely to get more expensive, rather than less expensive. If things continue as they are economy and materials wise. Especially with the skyrocketing oil costs, that have caused massive increases in the production of pretty much any sort of collectible overseas. I regularly talk to someone who deals with overseas production and the costs to have something made have almost doubled. 40% in the last 5 years was the last word I heard from him. We're lucky that Star Wars is only 3 3/4" or they'd be even more expensive. And Hasbro isn't always at fault for some of those shoddy figures, miscommunication with production companies overseas happens.

AmanaMatt
01-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Sadly things are likely to get more expensive, rather than less expensive. If things continue as they are economy and materials wise. Especially with the skyrocketing oil costs, that have caused massive increases in the production of pretty much any sort of collectible overseas. I regularly talk to someone who deals with overseas production and the costs to have something made have almost doubled. 40% in the last 5 years was the last word I heard from him. We're lucky that Star Wars is only 3 3/4" or they'd be even more expensive. And Hasbro isn't always at fault for some of those shoddy figures, miscommunication with production companies overseas happens.

It makes sense, but something tells me many parents are likely to pass...this is just not good.

El Chuxter
01-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I suspect retail should actually be around $7.50, and Wal-Mart and Target are both trying to recoup some of the (minor) losses they had with their price war prior to Christmas.

TRU, on the other hand, is just nuts.

AmanaMatt
01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
I suspect retail should actually be around $7.50, and Wal-Mart and Target are both trying to recoup some of the (minor) losses they had with their price war prior to Christmas.

TRU, on the other hand, is just nuts.

Very possible....and yes, TRU is total bonkers...I never even think to shop there anymore. They sure know how to drive collectors away

DarkArtist
01-28-2011, 10:41 AM
here's hoping that this economy rights itself soon and the figures drop back down to a reasonable $6.50 per.

I too have given up on the TRU front. Ever since they bought FAO they have raised their prices up and up and up. I mean how does a store justify selling an identical action figure at $10 when their competition is selling it for $7. I mean I can understand charging the price when they broke streetdate on Wave 1 but now that the figures are out all over, one would think that they would drop their prices to be in competition with the rest of the market.

bigbarada
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately, when oil prices go up worldwide, all oil-based products (like plastic) are going to go up in price as well. Of course that might explain why toy prices are up overall, but it doesn't really explain why TRU charges $10 for the same toys that Walmart charges $8 for. That really has nothing to do with Hasbro, though. Isn't it illegal for them to tell retailers what to charge for their products? They can only SUGGEST what retail prices should be.

Anyways, from what I see at Walmart (I don't have a Target or TRU in my area), Star Wars is one of the cheaper toy lines out there (at least out of the toy lines that have a moderate level of adult collector appeal). GI Joe and Marvel Universe are regularly $0.50 to $1 more per figure where I'm at.

As to the comment that the figures aren't worth $8. I'd agree to that with some figures but not others. I think every single figure in the ROTJ wave was easily worth $8-10. Heck I wouldn't have hesitated to pay $15-$20 for figures like Wooof or the Gamorrean Guard. I've given up on the notion that I'm going to be having anything deeper than a passing interest in prequel figures and I wouldn't even bother to waste my money on 99% of EU figures.

AmanaMatt
02-03-2011, 09:22 AM
$8 is reasonable - I believe that is what Walmart is charging? Nothing restocked, but that's the high end for me. At $9, I never even consider Target. Their is a ceiling for every product, and I feel that for many people: collectors, and parents, that $8 is the realistic maximum

I assume Gijoe is collector driven, but not sure. Must be if they are that much more that Star Wars....

If every figure was all new and looking excellent all the time, $9 may be ok, but with many redos in the Vintage line, why is that $1 more that the Legends line. Just look at Vintage Rd-D4 - how many times have they milked that sculpt

bigbarada
02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Well, according to the most recent price hikes, it looks like $11 might be becoming the new price for Star Wars figures. According to some reports on RS, Toys R Us has raised their prices to $10.99 and Target has responded by raising their prices to $10.79 per figure. It's probably not long before Walmart follows suit and bumps their prices above the $10 mark.

El Chuxter
02-03-2011, 09:48 PM
That will kill collecting for a lot of people, myself included. I won't pay $10 for a Star Wars figure, unless it's Jaxxon.

bigbarada
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I will severely limit my collecting if the price goes above the $10 mark. But I could never stop completely as long as they are still making Skiff Guards and Jabba's Henchmen.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Where'd you see that on RS? In the forums somewhere? Was there a confirmation?

TRU raised their prices a few weeks ago to $10.99 for Vintage, but scaled it back to the still-high $9.99 this week, the same they've had since August. The Targets I've been to have had them at $8.99, with Clone Wars and Saga Legends at $7.99. It seems to be different from store to store, though, as it has been the last few years at Target.

I can understand it to a point, with inflation and the economy and oil and tooling costs and the increasing quality (and number of parts) of the figures. But $10 and over is just too much. I found the ESB Vintage wave at TRU a few weeks before anywhere else, but I didn't buy any due to the cost (I got them all later at other stores, of course). I got my second Gamorrean Guard yesterday, but after tax it was nearly $10. TRU enjoys doing the two-for-$10 (or $11) sale quite often lately, it seems, but that's really the only time their prices aren't too high.

As for the figures, I think the prices would be easier to stomach on the all-new figures than on the repaints, repacks, and retools. I really can't bring myself to army build the Saga Legends figures at $8 each. Basic figures were $6.99 from 2006 forward, and I think at least going back to the 2010 prices of $6.99 for Clone Wars and Saga Legends and $7.99 for The Vintage Collection would do a world of good. So would not making the helmets out of terribly crappy plastic, which is kind of tied to this, I guess.

El Chuxter
02-04-2011, 01:13 AM
TRU enjoys doing the two-for-$10 (or $11) sale quite often lately, it seems, but that's really the only time their prices aren't too high.
Only this deal usually excludes the Vintage line. :(

bigbarada
02-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Where'd you see that on RS? In the forums somewhere? Was there a confirmation?

It's in this thread on RS:
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=TVC&Number=4450714&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=6

AmanaMatt
02-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, according to the most recent price hikes, it looks like $11 might be becoming the new price for Star Wars figures. According to some reports on RS, Toys R Us has raised their prices to $10.99 and Target has responded by raising their prices to $10.79 per figure. It's probably not long before Walmart follows suit and bumps their prices above the $10 mark.

OMG, if that is true, I am done.....I dont care how cool the vintage packing is, they are just not worth almost $12 when you factor tax

bigbarada
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
You should change your sig to say, "Real men buy Willrow... but only if he doesn't cost more than $10." :D

Seriously, though, I want as many Skiff Guards as Hasbro can make before the line dies. I don't care if the basic figure price skyrockets to $20 per figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the link. As the guy said, that's in the California bay area - from what I understand, a lot of stuff is more expensive there. When I was there in summer 2009 to help my sister move in, I got several figures at Target, and they were all a dollar or so more expensive than they are elsewhere. So I wouldn't go too crazy with the doom and gloom just yet, especially since that's just one specific store in a more-expensive-than-usual area. I was at several stores today and the prices weren't as high as that; just the standard prices I've been seeing lately ($8 CW/SL and $9 TVC at Target; $7 CW/SL and $8 TVC at Walmart).

Now, as this link (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-record-toy-revenue-96809) from the main page shows, 2010 was the year of the highest SW toy revenue since ROTS. That's Hasbro, Lego, and presumably others, but that means, on one hand, the brand is stronger than ever, but on the other hand, perhaps prices might go up since people will buy it anyway (or so the thinking goes).

bigbarada
02-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the link. As the guy said, that's in the California bay area - from what I understand, a lot of stuff is more expensive there. When I was there in summer 2009 to help my sister move in, I got several figures at Target, and they were all a dollar or so more expensive than they are elsewhere. So I wouldn't go too crazy with the doom and gloom just yet, especially since that's just one specific store in a more-expensive-than-usual area. I was at several stores today and the prices weren't as high as that; just the standard prices I've been seeing lately ($8 CW/SL and $9 TVC at Target; $7 CW/SL and $8 TVC at Walmart).

Now, as this link (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-record-toy-revenue-96809) from the main page shows, 2010 was the year of the highest SW toy revenue since ROTS. That's Hasbro, Lego, and presumably others, but that means, on one hand, the brand is stronger than ever, but on the other hand, perhaps prices might go up since people will buy it anyway (or so the thinking goes).

Well, that's good news. Nice to hear that Star Wars is still at the top of the heap. With all the doom and gloom being thrown around, I was starting to worry that the line wouldn't last long enough to see Kithaba released later on this year.

Anyways, like I said, I don't care how high the price goes, as long as Hasbro keeps making the Skiff Guards, I'll still be collecting.

El Chuxter
02-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I can report $10.99 Vintage at the TRU in Palm Desert (one of the cities that's so close to Palm Springs I consider it to be Palm Springs, though it's too large to be a suburb). Prices aren't normally insane in PD like they are in the Bay area, so this is a bit concerning.

Target's up to $8.99 in PD and Cathedral City (another city in the area).

If this keeps up, bye-bye.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I can report $10.99 Vintage at the TRU in Palm Desert (one of the cities that's so close to Palm Springs I consider it to be Palm Springs, though it's too large to be a suburb). Prices aren't normally insane in PD like they are in the Bay area, so this is a bit concerning.

Target's up to $8.99 in PD and Cathedral City (another city in the area).

If this keeps up, bye-bye.

We're basically having this conversation in two threads at once, but TRU raised its Vintage prices at every store to $10.99 a few weeks ago. They brought them back down to $9.99 last week, which is TRU's standard since August, but I don't know if that's a permanent, across-the-board thing or not. They're still $9.99 on the website, so it's probably just your store not updating.

Target's Vintage figures are all that price, as we've said repeatedly. Walmart's are still a buck less. Go buy them there.

El Chuxter
02-06-2011, 05:46 PM
If the local WM fires the scalpers that work there and anything ever makes it to the shelves, I will! :thumbsup: :D

AmanaMatt
02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Local walmart in Texas is now $8.96 per figure - that is the most inexpensive retail out there. Seeing that actually bummed me out cause I know I just retired from collecting. I cannot justify paying $9.50 w tax per figure. They are simply not worth $10 a pop

bigbarada
02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Yep, $8.96 at my Walmart as well. That eliminates the possibility of me buying any Prequel figures for sure, but it's not going to stop me from buying Weequay, Kithaba and more Gamorrean Guards when they show up.

When I was in Korea in 2000, the only options I had for buying new figures was going online and buying from places like Brian's Toys. So I was paying $20 apiece for new figures back then and I had absolutely no complaints. I've learned from experience that if price is a deterrent, then it means that I didn't really want the figure in the first place.