PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the new re-design?

SirSteve
02-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Let us know what you think of the new re-design effort! Keep in mind we still have a few things to tweak (a few cross browser compatibility styling issues).

bigbarada
02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Not sure yet. Blue on white is soooo 2008, I was hoping for something more "vintage-y" this time around. Also it's feeling awfully narrow in here. I understand that you need to keep the site compatible with as many people as possible, but those of us with widescreen displays should be able to expand things out a bit.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

El Chuxter
02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I would not say I dislike the new layout, but, like BigB, I'd prefer that users be able to set the forum section to appear wider, if that's possible.

Slicker
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Like the others I put "not sure yet". It'll grow on me I'm sure. I obviously liked the old layout but that was something I was familiar with it but change is good...

sebillba
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I've voted not sure yet... my initial thoughts are that the new posts are not so obvious - light blue versus light grey just doesn't seem distinct enough. And on the old forums, from the main menu, you would be taken straight to the first unread post, now you can only go to either the very first post in the thread or the last post.... or maybe I'm just not doing it right. I guess I'll get used to it, but right now I can't really see what's better... but then I never do like change!!

Darth Duranium
02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I like the the redesign a lot... I'm givin' it a yes, for sure. Crisper, brighter, bigger fonts, bigger avatars... nice.

But I would echo those above: text is a smidge too narrow in the threads... a bit wider would be cool. That's my only nitpick.

Great job, Steve and the gang! :thumbsup:

sith_killer_99
02-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I voted no.

I do not like the blank white look, I do not like the overly narrow text boxes in the threads. I used the ctrl+ to increase size, but then some of the graphics look fuzzy. I'm sure I will find a dozen or so odd quirks that annoy me the more I use the forums as well.

It's nothing personal, I just don't adapt well to some types of change. This is one of those changes. Then again, I wasn't happy when SSG set up the new forums back in, what was it, 2001. lol

I'm sure it will grow on me, though I must admit, I agree BigB, I was hoping for something more vintage styled/themed.

Blue2th
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
It's ok, just like anything it takes getting used to. I notice that pictures in some of threads don't appear, but rather you can click on them instead. Don't know if that's an "upgrade" but that's ok.

There's not as many active threads listed off to the side as before. Probably because they contain some of the text from the last post therefore limiting the number of active threads visible.

Major Karr
02-01-2011, 09:42 PM
"And on the old forums, from the main menu, you would be taken straight to the first unread post, now you can only go to either the very first post in the thread or the last post.... or maybe I'm just not doing it right.'

I like the new layout and design, but have to agree that not being able to go to the first unread post is tedious. Don't like having to scroll backwards and try to remember what was the last post I read in the forum. Am I doing it wrong as well?

Major Karr
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Ah now I see it. Still extra steps, but go to the first page of the forum and view first unread link is there. So, my avatar disappeared how do I recover it? Tried going to my profile but not sure how to recover/replace it. Guess I need to spend more time looking around. Thanks for the great site Sir Steve!

Beast
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm not entirely sure yet. I don't like the smaller posting boxes to accommodate the big ads and the latest news boxes. It takes up so much space and makes the forum look cheesy.

And the colors are, well... I prefer the color schemes of the old forum. It'll take some getting used to. The white especially, hurts my eyes too much. I dunno.... maybe there's a setting to change the colors. Cause it really is kinda painful here.

Beast
02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I just realized what the look reminds me of.... Facebook.

This is not a plus.

SirSteve
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I just realized what the look reminds me of.... Facebook.

This is not a plus.

Colors did not change from the old site... ;) As soon as I find some Clone Wars art I like, I will use it in place of the Clone Trooper in the logo to pull in more color. As for the larger right column... it was not to adapt to a larger ad but rather to fit other content in there. The ad was just a no brainer since we don't charge to use the site. Change is never easy and we will never be able to please everyone but I think in the long run, everyone will adapt.

Beast
02-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Is there any chance you could go with something not white?

Even if it's like a grey or something. The white really is blinding.

Snowtrooper
02-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Like most others, I haven't quite decided yet. I need to use it for awhile before I can make up my mind. The only thing I'd say right off is that I'd prefer a different color scheme.

Rocketboy
02-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Hate it.

Like everyone else, the squished forum page is extremely irritating.
The colors and style is pretty generic.
The ads/news/tags take up far too much space.
If I wanted to see news, I'd either go to the main page or look at the threads.
Tag boxes are always pointless, IMO.
But I am glad the news and tag boxes can be minimized.

And I still hate that toolbar thing at the bottom of the screen.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Hard to read, and I attribute that to light color on light color. I never use the bottom bar, so it's just something else to load. Extras on the sides don't do much for me.

SirSteve
02-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Is there any chance you could go with something not white?

Even if it's like a grey or something. The white really is blinding.

White where? Only the body is white. The background is grey...

Beast
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
White in the main body. The grey on the sides is nice.

But it's like snowblindness on Hoth right now.

Makes me miss the real old dark background forums.

sith_killer_99
02-02-2011, 07:26 PM
White in the main body. The grey on the sides is nice.

But it's like snowblindness on Hoth right now.

Makes me miss the real old dark background forums.

Even worse, one of the other forums I frequent uses black and dark gray with white lettering. Switching between tabs of SSG and the other site just magnifies the problem.

I still love SSG. lol

bigbarada
02-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Even worse, one of the other forums I frequent uses black and dark gray with white lettering. Switching between tabs of SSG and the other site just magnifies the problem.

I still love SSG. lol

I hate going to sites that use white letters on a black background. It's too much eye strain to read the text and, when you get done reading a long paragraph, you're seeing horizontal stripes on everything from several seconds.

LTBasker
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I voted I'm not sure, but I'm leaning more toward I don't like it. It's not a bad design, but it just feels a bit... underdone, like it wasn't completely thought out. Maybe it's bias from being accustomed and fond of the previous version, but this seems more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

The biggest problem is, as has been mentioned, the lack of space. It feels incredibly squished now, and for really no logical reason. I've never really understood the point of tag clouds outside of something like a blog, so I have that minimized. The news is minimized as well because the headlines are distracting when I'm trying to focus on a thread's posts. So, right now they're 3-4" wide bars that serves no purpose other than to squish the actual forum area.

Maybe it'd seem less cramped if the personal info section with the avatar and such didn't take up about a third of the width allowed for the posts?

bobafrett
02-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Very hard to figure out, so I voted, "Not Sure Yet".

Rogue II
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I chose "No" because I don't like how the "Latest News/Tag Cloud" side bar squishes everything. As far as the colors go: I don't hate them and I don't love them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm with most everyone else. There isn't nearly enough space for the posts - just a lot of whiteness once you minimize or move past the tags and news posts.

As I posted on the news article, it was hard to tell the difference between new and old posts. I'm not sure I would have recognized the white/light blue icon as the difference is extremely subtle.

El Chuxter
02-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I finally figured out the extra step needed to see new posts in a thread. Is there a way to streamline this back to one click? It seems absurd to add a step; if I click on a button that appears to indicate I'm going to the first new post in a thread, I shouldn't have to click a separate button within that thread to actually get there.

Also, no one's commented on it so maybe I'm the only person who cares, but I'm not a big fan of the "four weeks ago" and "10 minutes ago" labels on the posts, at least without any specific date indicator. Is this something we can set in our preferences? Given that some of the collecting-related posts may be date sensitive, it'd be nice to get actual dates and times on the posts rather than having to do the math in our heads.

mtriv73
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Still not sure about it, but very sure I'll adapt quickly. Looks better on my Droid than on any computer I've tried it on. I agree that it wouuld be nicer to have the main body a little wider. If that causes the news and tag cloud to extend a little further, it might be worth it for the sake of readability.

Ando
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I originally voted "not sure yet".

When I first signed up for this site back in 2008, it was because I liked the way the forum was laid out (as well as the members seemed pretty cool). I don't like the new format. It's not easy on the eyes. I am sure with time, I will adjust, but for now, I am not a fan.

(But I did just figure out how to change the font to Courier New, my preferred font.)

El Chuxter
02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
(But I did just figure out how to change the font to Courier New, my preferred font.)

You're not handing your posts in to a teacher or professor who's grading based on page count. lol

masterväder
02-03-2011, 02:42 PM
i dunt like thsi new one culdn't we kep the old on it lol had sum class u know+ is like vanhanaikainen is bettr u kno?

SirSteve
02-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Made a few tweaks...

Beast
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Ok, the forum pages arn't quite as bad now. Especially with the post info at the top.... rather than squeezing the post boxes more. So that's a plus. The white seems less harsh also.

Is there a way to keep the stats under the name though. They look weird floating on the other side of the box. I'd almost suggest making the poster details box in the same grey as the sidebars so to break up the forums a bit. Or even the blue.

DarthQuack
02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I voted no.....I thought the old forums were perfect. I also go to DVDTalk, and He-Man.org and all 3 forums were the same, so I personally loved having the same feel each place I went, made it very easy to navigate and very enjoyable.

JediTricks
02-04-2011, 04:01 PM
So, the thing with the "First Unread Posts" seems to be a software issue where it takes you to the page with the first unread post, but not directly to that post. It's happening on the Home Page, the New Posts page, and even when a new post is created using Advanced Reply. The system is supposed to parse the URL-commanded "?goto=newpost" such as with this link:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/34232-First-look-at-the-new-Clone-Wars-toon?goto=newpost
However, when that link is clicked, it takes you to that PAGE, but does not include the ANCHOR, which should look like this at the end of the URL "#post744778"
So what you end up with is the NEWEST PAGE that the post is on, but it doesn't drop you down to that actual post as such:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/34232-First-look-at-the-new-Clone-Wars-toon?p=744778
What it SHOULD be creating is a anchored link like this:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/34232-First-look-at-the-new-Clone-Wars-toon?p=744778#post744778
To make matters more confused, there's a link on that page which says "View First Unread" which DOES have the anchor, but it is a different way of the forums linking to the post, so when you click it has the URL of the page number instead of the post number and thus forces a reload:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/34232-First-look-at-the-new-Clone-Wars-toon/page199#post744778

Still, it is taking you to the page with the latest post, so when you click those links, just scroll down and you'll see the latest unread posts, they're marked with a different color icon.

That said, the icon color isn't different enough, it's a very light blue instead of a very light gray.

JediTricks
02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Steve has changed the "new post" icon from that light blue to red, so if you view this image and do a hard reload (ctrl+shift+r): http://www.sirstevesguide.com/images/statusicon/post_new.png
then new posts will stand out better.

SirSteve
02-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I voted no.....I thought the old forums were perfect. I also go to DVDTalk, and He-Man.org and all 3 forums were the same, so I personally loved having the same feel each place I went, made it very easy to navigate and very enjoyable.

We've held off from upgrading over a year and soon, the forum makers will stop supporting the older versions and they will all have to be upgraded or switch to another brand.

TheDarthVader
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I understand why you updated, I just do not like it. At least not yet.

SirSteve
02-05-2011, 03:02 AM
Ok, the forum pages arn't quite as bad now. Especially with the post info at the top.... rather than squeezing the post boxes more. So that's a plus. The white seems less harsh also.

Is there a way to keep the stats under the name though. They look weird floating on the other side of the box. I'd almost suggest making the poster details box in the same grey as the sidebars so to break up the forums a bit. Or even the blue.

Ugh.... make up your minds! It's either this or the other...

bikerscout
02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
voted no. Don't like the squish. None of the other sites I frequent use that style either, so hard to look at. Like old design better. Squishing should be kept to a minimum if any. Not a fan of the 'facebook' style

mtriv73
02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Much better since you made the tweaks. I may not be in love with it yet, but I want to get to know it better.

SirSteve
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Also note the content changes in the right column now: Latest Forum Posts, Latest Threads and Most Popular Threads. There are a few formatting issues right now but are working to resolve them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I like some of the latest updates, especially the red New Post icon.

This is more of a nitpick, but since you updated the SSG logo to include a picture of Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan, would it be possible to use their new, Season Three images instead? That's how they'll look going forward so it would be nice for the site to reflect that. This image (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101117191011/starwars/images/4/4b/AniObiAhsoka-TCWs3.jpg) could be a good basis.

bigbarada
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Also note the content changes in the right column now: Latest Forum Posts, Latest Threads and Most Popular Threads. There are a few formatting issues right now but are working to resolve them.

I like the Latest Forum Posts column, that's pretty handy to have around. :)

Overall I'm getting used to all the changes, pretty much like I thought I would. Still feels a tad narrow, but I'm sure I'll get used to that eventually.

SirSteve
02-06-2011, 01:16 AM
I like some of the latest updates, especially the red New Post icon.

This is more of a nitpick, but since you updated the SSG logo to include a picture of Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan, would it be possible to use their new, Season Three images instead? That's how they'll look going forward so it would be nice for the site to reflect that. This image (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101117191011/starwars/images/4/4b/AniObiAhsoka-TCWs3.jpg) could be a good basis.

No problem. Done.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2011, 02:09 PM
No problem. Done.

Cool, thanks! It looks great!

DarkJedi5
02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
To reiterate what other have already said, I too generally like the redesign but have issues with the main forum page. The columns are so narrow that it does not always fully display the name of the last poster (with the handy little button that lets you jump to the last post) or the full name of the thread in which the post was made. If there were a way to bump those out a little bit it would make navigation a bit simpler.

SirSteve
02-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Not sure what you mean... looks fine on my end. Can you provide a screen cap?

DarkJedi5
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Not sure what you mean... looks fine on my end. Can you provide a screen cap?

I'll admit it's not a great pic but you may be able to see that the columns are a little too narrow and cut of the text. Even when I stretch the window the "white" area doesn't get bigger, just the grey on the sides.

TeeEye7
02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Now that I've "test driven" the new site for a while, I can say that on the "con" side, I wish there was more bold type to highlight titles, headings, etc. like the old design to help old eyes such as mine. It helps me navigate more easily. On the "pro" side, I really like the Latest Forum Posts and Latest Forum Threads at a glance columns. Nice!

See how bold type grabs your eye?

JediTricks
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Not sure what you mean... looks fine on my end. Can you provide a screen cap?His screencap won't show it, but I see what he means and will attach a cropped screencap, the overflow is now cutting off the content. It's on the thread titles as well, despite overflow being handled differently the links to pages in the thread and long section titles such as the Titanium Series/Micro Machines one in my example attached.

EDIT: I forgot that the forums will resize down to a smaller image size and width. I'll email you the full version.

El Chuxter
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I used to like the new layout. But not anymore. It stole my girlfriend. :mad:

Beast
02-12-2011, 11:13 AM
The big arse sidebars are gone! Hooray! This is pretty much perfect now.

Still not a huge fan of the color choices, since i am sick of Blue/White color schemes. But much better.

bigbarada
02-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Glad to see the width is back to normal! Although I did kind of like the "Latest Forum Posts" column. Ah well, if it's one or the other, then I'll take the wider format any day.