PDA

View Full Version : Your Digital Afterlife

sith_killer_99
02-06-2011, 04:10 PM
A new book out titled "Your Digital Afterlife: When Facebook, Flickr and Twitter Are Your Estate, What's Your Legacy?"

They talk about how your user agreement give them control of your stuff after you pass away, etc. How you can give your account info to someone to erase it all, etc.

They also talk about, and this is creepy, how you can send out e-mail, video clips, etc. to your loved ones after you have died.

My wife has already said she doesn't want me to do anything like this.

What are your thoughts?

I know we have dealt with issues similar to this here on SSG. We have lost friends of the site from time to time and their loved ones have logged in and informed us of the sad news.

Do you all think it would be handy to do something like this for the forums people frequent? Let's say, send an e-mail to a mod informing them that someone has passed away.

It sounds pretty morbid, but it seems like something that could also be useful for the online community.

I know some people here are close and would know if something baad happened. It didn't take long for the Thrawn thread to be posted. Yet not everyone is that close.

Sometimes I wonder is some of the older users stopped posting because they are no longer among the living.

JEDIpartner
02-06-2011, 05:11 PM
That is a bit creepy... BUT I do visit my dead friend's page on the Book of Faces from time to time and leave messages.

bigbarada
02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
That's actually good information to know. I have some artwork posted on Facebook and DeviantArt, and I wonder if those sites would get ownership of that art and my original characters if I was to pass away? Not that it would really matter at that point, I guess.