PDA

View Full Version : Toy Fair 2011 the good, the bad, the indifferent

bigbarada
02-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Everyone is discussing the Toy Fair reveals in the news stories, but I thought it would be convenient to have a thread where we can just post our overall impressions of Toy Fair this year.

I've been disappointed by TFs in the past, so I think I seriously dialed back my expectations for this year. All I wanted to see was the Kithaba prototype, even if it was just a tiny image in the slideshow. So here are my overall thoughts from what we've seen so far:

The good:
1. Kithaba! - the figure itself looks great, maybe not 100% screen accurate, but I can live with the changes made since they serve the purpose of making him a better toy and that's the most important thing. The prototype also sets my mind at ease a bit because he doesn't have a pinhead (like the Weequay Skiff Master), he doesn't have 3-fingered hands (like Fi-Ek Sirch), he has articulated ankles and he does NOT have ball joint hips (which have been pretty hit or miss recently). Also, he's all sculpted plastic and Hasbro didn't risk ruining the figure by getting ambitious with soft goods.

2. Castas! - this totally took me by surprise! I thought that the window of opportunity for this figure had closed and Hasbro was moving on to the Savage Oppress storyline. Probably the only Clone Wars figure I plan to get this year (unless we get Bossk on a single card).

3. Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba - both look amazing! Ponda's head is a little small, but I can live with it. Evazan is just perfect. :thumbsup:

4. Logray - another great example of why all Ewoks should be single carded from now on. This figure looks amazing.

5. Rebel Fleet Trooper - looks really good, I'll most likely buy 2 or 3 of him. The hat is a really nice touch.

6. "Revenge of the Jedi" set - probably the first SDCC exclusive that I actually want to buy. I might have someone who is going to the show pick one up for me, or just wait until they show up on HTS, which they normally do right?

7. Han Bespin - looks good so far, but we've had a version of Han Bespin in circulation for the last several years. So I can't really get super excited about him yet.

8. Bom Vimdim, Weequay Skiff Master, Nikto Jedi, Dagobah Landing Luke - We'd seen all these guys before and they look great.

The bad:
1. No sign of a new Cantina Band Member.
2. No mention of a new ROTJ Speeder Bike.
3. No word on when/if we'd see CW Bossk individually carded.
4. No word on the homeless Ewok Multipack with Chukha-Trok
5. That "vintage" EU logo looks terrible.
6. Nom Anor - didn't he get his start in the He-Man cartoon? I'd had only heard his name and had no clue who he was before Toy Fair, but he looks horrible. Although I'm sure the figure is a faithful representation of the character, he's just a terrible character design.

Overall, the good far outweighed the bad this year.

The indifferent (stuff I just don't care about):
1. Republic Attack Shuttle transforming into a playset - I really hope this doesn't become a trend. Hasbro's vehicles have enough trouble staying together when they are not supposed to fall apart as it is (the AT-TE's legs and the BMF landing gear).
2. Blu-Ray Figure Sets - might buy the ROTJ set although I didn't even bother to see which figures were included. I'll most likely just ignore them all.
3. Jedi Force line - I lost interest in Galactic Heroes when they started focusing primarily on Clone Wars. So I'm not that sorry to see it go. I don't see myself having any interest at all in the replacement.
4. EU figures - Unless the character comes from a pre-1987 television program, then I have no interest.
5. Mail-Away Prototype Armor Boba Fett - yay, another mail-away figure for me not to bother mailing away for.
6. The Clone Wars line - aside from Castas there was really nothing that interested me; but I haven't bothered to watch a single Season 3 episode yet, so that might change if I ever get around to watching this series again.

I think I had tunnel vision this year. I honestly couldn't tell you much about anything else presented at the show. I just focused on what I liked more than anything else. But I'm sure I'll remember some more first impressions later.

Droid
02-13-2011, 01:16 PM
There are so few figures I want anymore, but that isn't Hasbro's fault. They're only going to make so many Jabba's Palace or cantina aliens a year.

I continue to wonder why they don't use the slideshow to show one or two items that NOBODY knows about. By San Diego we'll already know the figures they'll announce in San Diego. Why not stay ahead of that curve and tell us some of THOSE figures? It always amazes me that they let leaks get out all the information when if they'd go ahead far enough they could make the reveal.

I am excited about Bom and Evazan. The original first TWO Evazans have bugged me for years as some of the worst sculpts in the line. I'll buy Ponda Boba, but I have been pleased with previous versions of him. The interchangable hands is neat.

I will buy Kithaba and the Skiff Master.

Other than that, I won't buy much. I'll probably pick up a Fleet Trooper, Logray, Dagobah Luke, maybe a few others because the sculpts are good, but I have those figures already.

I wish they'd gotten a few more figures out of Galatic Heroes, Sy Snootles or Salacious Crumb come to mind. I doubt I'll make the leap to the new line, particularly because it will likely be mostly main characters or Clone Wars items.

I can't complain. Three cantina characters and two Jabba's Palace/Skiff Guards makes for a pretty good year for me.

I am looking forward each year to the 3D releases because I think it might allow them to do some pickup work on characters that just slipped through the cracks. I think next year we'll see Kitster, Wald, and some other Episode I figures that could only get made with major support from a movie or something.

I am very hopeful the next year we'll finally get Cliegg. I personally predict Hasbro WILL make Jocasta Nu the year Episode II is in the theaters. Though I do not want her, I can understand the folks who do. I wanted Mon Mothma, and there's a pretty solid argument that she shouldn't be made if Jocasta Nu shouldn't be made. I don't understand the passion that some people have for getting that figure though, and still wonder if some of it is tongue in cheek.

bigbarada
02-13-2011, 01:57 PM
There are so few figures I want anymore, but that isn't Hasbro's fault. They're only going to make so many Jabba's Palace or cantina aliens a year.

I'm in the same boat, if I listed every single movie figures that I wanted made right now (taking the Toy Fair announcements into account), then it would probably add up to maybe a wave and a half. 2 waves of 6 figures at the max. I would like to see most of the Skiff Guards made (but I don't have high hopes that we'll see all of them unless Hasbro makes a larger Skiff), a few more Jabba's Palace denizens (primarily Yak Face), some more Cantina Aliens, and a few other random choices. Outside of that, my interest shifts very firmly into the Droids and Ewoks cartoons and the Ewok TV Specials, with maybe a few figures out of the Holiday Special.

Right now, my hopes for SDCC would be some kind of confirmation of a new Cantina Band Member figure and a new ROTJ Speeder Bike. If Hasbro really wanted to blow me away, they'd unveil a new Tatooine Skiff.

Now that Kithaba is made, Barada becomes my new #1 most-wanted figure (it's weird to have a new #1 on my list after almost 10 years), but I don't foresee any announcement of a new Barada until Toy Fair 2012 at the absolute soonest (and even that, I think, might be a little too optimistic).

jedibear
02-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm always interested in the classic movie stuff and Hasbro manages to throw us old-timers a few well-sculpted and detailed bones every year and this year looks no different so far...I welcome Bom (he looks cool) and the Kithaba and Weequay look alright (I've learned that lesson that photos don't always show figures at their best...there's nothing like finally having them "in hand" to see how they really are), Logray looks fantastic as do the Rebel Trooper as do Evazan and Baba.
A couple of surprises that actually look pretty cool I'll be looking for (that I'm pretty sure will by easy finds) and that's Fi-Ek Sirch...looks like a cool sculpt and great use of fabric and Bariss Offee (that original one from several years back suffered from that permanent "action" sculpt). Aayla looks like a "maybe"...that manish face looks kinda weird in the pictures.

I don't really do the Clone Wars figures...just an occasional one (last year I picked up that flamethrower Clone...he just looks neat)...I usually pass because the clones all look the same, most of the figures feature spindly limbs that warp and won't stand or pose well and...there just aren't many characters that really inspire me enough to buy the figures of. This year looks pretty much the same...am kind of surprised Hasbro didn't have some of the more "hot" characters of late ready to go...figure-ready ones like the Danthomir Witches or Savage Opress...maybe by summer...

Not into the "mini-vehicles" at all. The new "Republic shuttle" doesn't inspire me ether. I may pick up that droid fighter ship (the saucer-shaped one)..it was always one of my favorites to watch during the Kassyyk assault in ROTS.

The only "exclusive" I'm hoping to pick up for sure this year isn't a SW one...it's that final Indiana Jone wave at SDCC...sure hope that's available online too.

The only "head-scratchers" for me so far are...that Nom Anor figure...I had to chuckle at bigbarada's characterization of him as something from "He-Man"...nail on the head there...looks awful, as does the "vintage card"for EU looks like a bad mock-up. And the classic heroes...poor Luke and Han...are they ever going to get some decent head-sculpts to go with the figures that keep coming? Not this year it appears...

So...for me it looks like another light year for Hasbro stuff unless SDCC brings along some real revelations.
Not a bad thing since I've been partaking more Sideshow offerings lately...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
And the classic heroes...poor Luke and Han...are they ever going to get some decent head-sculpts to go with the figures that keep coming? Not this year it appears...
There have been quite a few Luke figures recently with great head sculpts. The Resurgence of the Jedi, Death Star Escape, Snowspeeder Pilot, and Bespin Luke figures have all been pretty great in that area in my opinion. The Dagobah Landing one looks alright to me; not as good as those, but passable. Han, yeah, they still have a way to go.

morpheus282
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
For the most part, this will be a year for me to save money. Some nice looking stuff coming out, just not much I want. Bastila Shan, Ponda, Evazan, Kithaba, Bom Vimdin, Weequay, and possibly the RC tank are about the only things that scream "BUY ME". I'm still waiting until SDCC to see if the sandcrawler rumors are true.

As everyone else has already said, Nom Anor and the EU logo are rather odd. Nom will probably warm the pegs for months unless kids just want a creepy Skeletor looking guy for Anakin to fight.

The Dagobah Luke X-wing pilot bothers me. After getting the Hoth pilot Luke this one just reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Smithers is showing off his Malibu Stacy collection - "This one has a new hat!". Maybe it's just me, but I find it to be an easy pass.

Qui-Long Gone
02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
I love the skiff guards. Always a fan of Ewoks. Ponda and Evazan are must-haves also. But I'm really dissapointed in the Bespin Han. Really dissapointed.

I would rather the Dagobah Luke head be swapped with the Hoth head. I love the X-wing uniform on Luke but have never like the head sculpts. I like this head sculpt but where are the gloves? Speaking of Dagobah, aren't we overdue for an R2-dragon snake?

sonofsokol
02-14-2011, 12:37 AM
I am most disappointed in the ending of the Galactic Heroes line. My 5-year-old absolutely loves his GH collection. I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall after they ended the Cinema Scenes and Vehicles last year and that whole fiasco with the Kohl's exclusive AT-ST set. There was still a bunch of figures that they could have made, but I must admit that I was tired of buying a bunch of duplicate figures in the Cinema Scenes just to get the one or two new figures. I bet we have at least a dozen AOTC and ROTS Obi-wan Kenobi figues... I really hope to avoid the new Jedi Force figures. I'd rather shift my his focus to Lego...

I am really excited for the new Clone Wars figure plus vehicle packs. It is really nice to see the new "mini rigs" They are are a really good size for kids to fly around. Even my Crumb Bomber gunship is a bit too big for my boys, even with its built in handle. I am looking forward to the Republic Attack Shuttle playset-thing... Given that the Turbo Tank, AT-TE, and AT-AT had an MSRP of $100 I didn't pay over $79.99 for any of them. Hopefully, given the $79 MSRP of the new shuttle, we will be able to find it for $50 on sale like the Crumb Bomber. :fingers crossed:

I think the Vintage figures I am most looking forward to are Captain Fordo, Aayla Secura, and Logray. Lots of stuff to be excited for in my book

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm still waiting until SDCC to see if the sandcrawler rumors are true.
As has been discussed extensively in the sandcrawler rumor thread, Derryl DePriest said he'd love to make a sandcrawler but there's zero chance of it ever happening due to the Hasbro executives likely passing on it for a number of reasons.

As everyone else has already said, Nom Anor and the EU logo are rather odd. Nom will probably warm the pegs for months unless kids just want a creepy Skeletor looking guy for Anakin to fight.
I'm not so sure. The basic carded EU stuff always does well, even if the multi-packs don't. Remember Scorch, Darth Revan, and Darth Malak? They were all hard as hell to find. Same with the TRU wave (though the exclusivity didn't hurt their sales either).

I would rather the Dagobah Luke head be swapped with the Hoth head. I love the X-wing uniform on Luke but have never like the head sculpts. I like this head sculpt but where are the gloves? Speaking of Dagobah, aren't we overdue for an R2-dragon snake?
The version of Luke in this outfit with gloves and a thermal head cap is in Saga Legends after being released in 2009, so I'm not sure why you're asking about the lack of gloves here. He took them off when he landed on Dagobah, and this reflects that. There's been a great deal of talk about it.

Are you asking about R2-D2, or the dragonsnake? We have multiple Dagobah R2-D2s, and there was a dragonsnake packed with the 2006 version of Luke's X-wing (even though it was somewhat undersized). I think there was even a Galactic Heroes version.

Phantom-like Menace
02-14-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm happy with the Ponda and Evazan we're getting. They're must buys that will go straight into my cantina.

Bastila Shan is a welcome addition, though I wanted T3-M4 a little more. I'm definitely hoping they get to him.

I'll probably go for the Attack Shuttle. There's not much room for it in my GAR, though I may try hanging it.

I can see myself buying some of the mini-rig type ships. They seem cool enough.

I wish I could buy General Lando, remove his cloth cape and replace it with the previous vinyl one, and not have Hasbro think my buying it as an endorsement for soft goods. I may just use the old one. All he needs to do is stand there since it doesn't appear he's wearing it when he's piloting the Falcon.

I'm more excited by the G.I. Joe stuff and the Marvel stuff. I'm really interested in getting updated versions of all the Joe figures I had when I was a kid, and the upcoming Sci-Fi figure is way cooler than I could have imagined. Marvel is still young enough they can constantly give me new figures I want.

El Chuxter
02-14-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm nuts over the Nom Anor, but I kinda wish they'd gone with the more "ringwraith" look from Crimson Empire II. Still, I'm digging it, and hope that we can get at least a few more Vong before the line ends. An Onimi/Shimmra 2-pack would be absolutely awesome if they can swing that somehow. (Can't imagine those two available separately.)

Snowtrooper
02-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Highlights for me:

Dr. Evazan: This was at the top of my list of to make and it looks nice and ugly. I have nothing to complain about. Unless production is way different, I'm real excited about getting this one.

Bespin Han: This was second on my to do list. I think it looks pretty good, but I'd really like to see a picture of him without the goggles to get a better idea of how the hair looks.

Kithaba & Skiff Master: Anytime they make some of Jabba's goons, its a good thing. These both look awesome. I'm glad I've got 2 skiffs to make room for all of the skiff guards we've been getting lately.

Ponda Baba: If they hadn't made this one, I'd of probably been alright with what I had. But this one looks great in comparison, so I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Bom Vimdin: A new cantina alien, especially a prominent one, is always welcome. Hasbro really puts alot of effort into making cantina aliens and this one is no exception.

Rebel Fleet Trooper: I thought the POTJ version was nice, but this one puts it to shame. I'll be doing some army building with this one.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Lot of figures there I am looking forward to. Dr. Evazan, Bastila, Kithaba, Weequay, Bom Vimdin, Bespin Han, Rebel Fleet Trooper, Barriss Offee, Lando, and the Hoth Rebel are all welcome additions.

bigbarada
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
The only "exclusive" I'm hoping to pick up for sure this year isn't a SW one...it's that final Indiana Jone wave at SDCC...sure hope that's available online too.

I totally forgot about the Indiana Jones exclusive wave when I was typing up my original post. So I wonder if that automatically puts it in the "indifferent" category for me?

Actually there are a couple of figures that I might want from that, so I'm hoping that if it does show up online, that we'll be able to buy individual figures and not have to plunk down the cash for a whole set.

Phantom-like Menace
02-15-2011, 12:23 AM
I think I want to get at least two Boms. I really like the scoped gun he has and want it as a sniper rifle.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-15-2011, 01:12 AM
I think I want to get at least two Boms. I really like the scoped gun he has and want it as a sniper rifle.I think these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Eq2lk_fwA) want three.

JEDIpartner
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
6. "Revenge of the Jedi" set - probably the first SDCC exclusive that I actually want to buy. I might have someone who is going to the show pick one up for me, or just wait until they show up on HTS, which they normally do right?

Apparently, due to the nature of this item, Hasbro (according to a podcast I was listening to-- they interviewed a Hasbro rep) states this is going to be limited to the con without any indication this is going to be put up on the HTS site. The edition size is supposed to be 1500 pieces.

jonthejedi
02-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Sadly, that Republic attack shuttle does nothing for me...I would have preferred some big #@!#&^% vehicle from OT. I may be picking up some CW & Vintage here & there...but alot of what I see is Hasbro figuring out more inventive ways to shave old figs. down our throat(Revenge pkging, ahem). I'll be giving more $$$ to 12" collectibles in 2011/2012.

bigbarada
02-16-2011, 05:02 AM
.but alot of what I see is Hasbro figuring out more inventive ways to shave old figs. down our throat(Revenge pkging, ahem).

Repacks have been a fact of life for Star Wars toys since 1979, there's really no point in complaining about it. And nobody is shoving anything down your throat. You are free to NOT buy whatever you don't want.

I think there was a good balance of new figures shown at TF this year. Of course, 2011 is not going to be a repeat of 2007 (with 60 new figures), but I think 2007 was a good example of Hasbro releasing too much new product. Especially since the quality of most of those figures was pretty shoddy. I would rather have Hasbro release fewer figures every year as long as they can keep the quality levels that we saw in the 2010 ROTJ wave.

Blue2th
02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Repacks have been a fact of life for Star Wars toys since 1979, there's really no point in complaining about it. And nobody is shoving anything down your throat. You are free to NOT buy whatever you don't want.

I think there was a good balance of new figures shown at TF this year. Of course, 2011 is not going to be a repeat of 2007 (with 60 new figures), but I think 2007 was a good example of Hasbro releasing too much new product. Especially since the quality of most of those figures was pretty shoddy. I would rather have Hasbro release fewer figures every year as long as they can keep the quality levels that we saw in the 2010 ROTJ wave.
There in lies the dilemma of some collectors like me. I used to be a completist. Had to have every carded figure and variations in numerical order thumb-tacked to my wall. The TVC cards are the best they have ever been since the start of Star Wars figures (well they're basically the same now) but I just can't justify buying every figure anymore. This after I started being a loose collector and began opening the inferior scotch taped carded figures in the past when I got burned out on their quality.

Now it's too late and too expensive to get every figure, even though I just love the cards. So I just buy the new improved figures and new sculpts. I'm happy with my decision.

Dark Marble
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Sadly, that Republic attack shuttle does nothing for me...

I am with you here! I really wanted to like this one but it is not what I really want in my displays. I guess I have too many gunships and this feels to much like a gunship. It will be a light year which I appreciate and I will buy what every comes out from the 6 movies. Nothing else interests me very much.

The new GI Joe figures are looking good. Don't know why I am getting into the Joe line. I haven't bought Joes since I was 11 and that was many years ago!

tagmac
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Apparently, due to the nature of this item, Hasbro (according to a podcast I was listening to-- they interviewed a Hasbro rep) states this is going to be limited to the con without any indication this is going to be put up on the HTS site. The edition size is supposed to be 1500 pieces.

It's funny, I was thinking about these today when I was in TRU, which exclusive it was and when they might be available. While it will certainly save me some $$, it's very disappointing that this set won't be made available. I really wanted the Vintage card Slave Leia, as it was one that should have been made years ago in the first place.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2011, 01:54 AM
It's funny, I was thinking about these today when I was in TRU, which exclusive it was and when they might be available. While it will certainly save me some $$, it's very disappointing that this set won't be made available. I really wanted the Vintage card Slave Leia, as it was one that should have been made years ago in the first place.

Only the Death Star packaging and mini-figure cards are exclusive. Everything else in the set will be available in stores, with the individual figures being individual.