PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Packaging

DarkJedi5
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if this technically fits in the Vintage forum since this may be the death knell of the Vintage line but here goes....

The folks over at SW.com (http://starwars.com/vault/collecting/2012_star_wars_line_look/index.html) have posted images of the new packaging for 2012. I guess the whole line will revolve around the rerelease of the Phantom Menace on the big screen.

Frankly I think the packaging is okay. I like that we're moving away from all Clone Wars all the time, but having Maul be the dominant image on the cardbacks may make it difficult to flip through those figures on the pegs to find the one you want waaaaay in the back. Also, I'll be sad to see the vintage line go though, getting away from the coffin blisters may mean more goodies packed with our figures but I can only imagine what that would do to the price.

My biggest concern though is seeing a return to the bad old days where Legacy, Legends, and CW all had essentially the same packaging which lead to real shortages when clueless stockers filled the pegs with only one or two of the lines. As the interview says, there will not even be a variation in packaging for the CW stuff so I'm already having nightmares about seeing pegs crammed with figures no one wants that just sit there.

El Chuxter
02-25-2011, 03:13 PM
My biggest concern though is seeing a return to the bad old days where Legacy, Legends, and CW all had essentially the same packaging which lead to real shortages when clueless stockers filled the pegs with only one or two of the lines.
Or, as we call that around here, "today."

JEDIpartner
02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm not down wid it.

sonofsokol
02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I thought they said at Toy Fair that Vintage was running at least through 2012 at this point. If that is the case, this would only replace the Shadows of the Darkside packaging we have now.

I think that it will be really weird to have Darth Maul on a Clone wars figure's package, but I guess it is no stranger than having Captain Rex on an AT-AT, Cloud Car or Snow Speeder box like it is now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Hasbro has said that the Vintage Collection will continue at least through 2012, so hopefully it'll still be running, and that this line look will just replace everything in the Rex-centered "shadows of the Dark Side" stuff (which is also non-Hasbro). (sonofsokol beat me to it by one minute. :p ) Hopefully, though, the Episode I figures released for the 3D release will be on the vintage cards, since I'm really looking to carded figures like Darth Maul and Jar Jar. Maybe the Obi-Wan shown in the image (if it's even released and not just a mock-up) will be in a type of Saga Legends line, to bring in kids.

Regardless of the vintage issue, I think the packaging looks great so far. I don't think it'll be jarring to have Darth Maul on everything, since he is technically around in The Clone Wars in some way, shape, or form. I'm glad they're not just pushing TPM aside anymore. Though I do wonder why they made this announcement a year before the packaging will show up. :p

Oh, and I also like how the figure's first name is bigger, as opposed to how they've been making the last name bigger for a few years now. That makes a lot more sense.

bigbarada
02-25-2011, 05:51 PM
I can't wait to buy Product Name. I've been wanting a toy of that for ages! :D

Bel-Cam Jos
02-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I can't wait to buy Product Name. I've been wanting a toy of that for ages! :DYeah, but toys from the sequel: Product Line II: The E-Store Continues were a little flat to me.

Snowtrooper
02-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I guess I'm indifferent to the new look. It definitely not anything to get excited about. I might change my mind when I actually see it, but we'll see.

jedibear
02-27-2011, 12:00 AM
I hope they will at least do something along the lines of having a different color band on the bottom or the text of the characters names to differentiate between the lines (Legends, CW)...at least the current packaging has that. Otherwise, I like the clean, uncluttered look of the new cards, especially the lighter background for behind the figure.

I don't know how necessary it is to have Maul across all of the lines...I'm still not digging the idea of his more-than-likely eventual "return" on "Clone Wars"...but that's another subject.

I do like seeing "The Phantom Menace" on the vintage cards...I hope we get some great re-dos of the main characters (including Jar Jar...there, I said it :))....

Slicker
02-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Sooo...we try to sell an entire movie figure line by having a character that was in probably only 15 minutes out of over 750 minutes of movie on the card?

:thumbsup:

TheDarthVader
02-27-2011, 10:22 AM
It is all about being mr. popular. Darth Maul is a very popular character, and I have to admit that I am a fan. I have not seen his saga legends figure around these parts because he sells fast. The way he moved during the lightsaber battle in TPM was graceful and precise. I liked that. How much screen time did Boba Fett have in the OT? Not that much. And look how popular he came to be as Lucas put him in the back-story as a cloned child of Jango Fett! If you really think about it.......how crazy is that? Anyway, I guess if they ever put Boba as the core character (on the design of the main cards) I'd be cool with it.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Like Boba Fett?

Has Han ever been on a packaging style? Or the two droids? I know we've had:
- Vader
- Maul
- Clones
- Prequel Obi-Wan

Beast
02-27-2011, 03:19 PM
I do like seeing "The Phantom Menace" on the vintage cards...I hope we get some great re-dos of the main characters (including Jar Jar...there, I said it :))....
Well, there is a Jar Jar planned for the E1 Vintage wave for next year. So yipee!!

I really hope we eventually get some good figures based on his E2 costumes though.

bigbarada
02-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Like Boba Fett?

Has Han ever been on a packaging style? Or the two droids? I know we've had:
- Vader
- Maul
- Clones
- Prequel Obi-Wan

We've also had:
• Luke and Leia (1978-79 Star Wars cards)
• C-3PO and R2-D2 (Droids cards)
• Wicket (Ewoks cards)

TheDarthVader
02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd like Han on the card. That would be cool with me.

Yeah Bel...EVERYONE likes Boba Fett. Get with the program! :D

Errr well.....I did like him in the original ESB.......when he had an ORIGINAL cool voice....and um.....not Jango's voice.

Beast
02-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Boba Fett was never cool.

He was all style over substance and was killed by a blind man.

El Chuxter
02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Boba Fett was always cool.

But only visually.

Very much like Darth Maul.

No, wait, Darth Maul kicked butt in his short appearance. Boba Fett never did anything but look imposing.

DarkArtist
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm on the fence with the new packaging... it looks like the TAC packaging mixed with the Legacy and current Shadows of the Dark Side.

DTMAN
03-10-2011, 07:26 PM
The new packaging is okay. It seems the longer Hasbro has the line, less interesteing the packaging.
To celebrate Episode 1 does make me want to buy them unless it is new cur of the film.
I heard they will leave the vintage packaging the same for now.
However, with the current prices, it really does not matter how it looks.
Thank you.

bigbarada
03-10-2011, 07:29 PM
The new packaging is okay. It seems the longer Hasbro has the line, less interesteing the packaging.
To celebrate Episode 1 does make me want to buy them unless it is new cur of the film.
I heard they will leave the vintage packaging the same for now.
However, with the current prices, it really does not matter how it looks.
Thank you.

Hasbro doesn't design the packaging. Lucasfilm contracts that task out to the graphic design firm, PILOT, to handle the packaging designs for the entire Star Wars brand. Which is why Hasbro and Lego, two completely separate companies, use the same designs.

mtriv73
03-11-2011, 07:31 AM
I hate it for one simple reason. I don't want to buy something that has someone sneering at me on the package. Can you imagine what it would do to Pillsbury's sales in they showed the doughboy flipping you the bird, or Cap'n Crunch taking a whiz in the cereal bowl on the package? The simple fact is, while well done, it's an ugly picture and ugly drives people away.

Beast
03-11-2011, 07:41 AM
The fact that Darth Maul is somehow popular invalidates that argument.

mtriv73
03-11-2011, 10:06 AM
They could still have him looking serious or even a little evil without the disgusting sneer. At least they didn't decide to go with Jar-Jar.

Beast
03-11-2011, 11:43 AM
They should have. Jar Jar is awesome.