PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Shrugged

sith_killer_99
02-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Well, it's been decades in the making, finally "Atlas Shrugged" will open in theaters on April 15th. I have seen the trailers and clips.

This will likely be an incredible film.

Who else is excited about this?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, our English dept. has been getting discount offers to buy class sets of The Fountainhead, AS, etc. in our mailboxes for years. So, I have little interest in it, sorry.

That's tax day here in the States. Did you know that the Titanic sank on the 15th in 1912? Could mean it would be a titanic box office failure. And Abraham Lincoln was declared dead on that date in 1865, another sad event. But then, Jackie Robinson joined MLB that day back in '47, so it could be a historic occurence, too. Who knows?

Why did I just post all that? :shrug: :rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Of course April 15th is no coincidence. lol

I believe the film will do well, the timing of this film couldn't be more fitting IMO. The book itself is experiencing a resurgence in popularity and the theme is one I believe many will connect with in today's environment.

Early reviews are also very good.

JediTricks
02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I predict that headlines will read "audiences shrugged", no matter the quality of the film, and I predict it mainly because it's essentially an unmarketed movie, it's an independent, low-budget movie, and it's only part 1 of 3, all of which suggests low turnout. Oh, and "Who is John Galt" is going to be a problematic advertising phrase for the movie since, as I understand it, that doesn't pay off until the 3rd film, or maybe they'll butcher the story to move it to the front.

scruffziller
02-27-2011, 04:50 PM
The book itself is experiencing a resurgence in popularity and the theme is one I believe many will connect with in today's environment.

It is because of the BIOSHOCK franchise.

scruffziller
02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Why did I just post all that? :shrug: :rolleyes:

Trying to hide being condescending by being creative?

sith_killer_99
02-27-2011, 05:23 PM
It is because of the BIOSHOCK franchise.

I suspect the current political atmosphere has a lot to do with it as well. I have seen more than a few "Who is John Galt" signs at protest rallies over the last year or two.

Politics aside the philospohical under pinnings are intriguing to say the least.

I put Atlas Shrugged right up there with Orwell's "1984" and Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451".

scruffziller
02-27-2011, 06:59 PM
So in the Bioshock lore...Fontaine is Galt?

El Chuxter
02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Nothing to do with the book, but if Greek mythology were true and Atlas were indeed to shrug, would it smush all of us under the weight of the heavens?

scruffziller
02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Nothing to do with the book, but if Greek mythology were true and Atlas were indeed to shrug, would it smush all of us under the weight of the heavens?

Yes.....................

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Trying to hide being condescending by being creative?
Uh, no . . . it was a bunch of atlas-related jokes. No need to get personal.

scruffziller
02-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Uh, no . . . it was a bunch of atlas-related jokes. No need to get personal.

I was also joking :)

scruffziller
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I predict that headlines will read "audiences shrugged", no matter the quality of the film, and I predict it mainly because it's essentially an unmarketed movie, it's an independent, low-budget movie, and it's only part 1 of 3, all of which suggests low turnout. Oh, and "Who is John Galt" is going to be a problematic advertising phrase for the movie since, as I understand it, that doesn't pay off until the 3rd film, or maybe they'll butcher the story to move it to the front.

Ah JT, always the pessimist. It isn't being marketed like a blockbuster such as the Spiderman series. The core audience is all it needs, just like how Sweeney Todd was presented.

Rocketboy
02-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Based on the little bit of buzz there is, it sounds like this movie is laughably bad.

bigbarada
03-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Based on the little bit of buzz there is, it sounds like this movie is laughably bad.

Sounds more like preemptive bashing because the movie doesn't fit in with someone's political ideologies. Exactly who is saying that the movie is bad?

Rocketboy
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I've read 2 negative articles/posts.

One was from slashfilm.com (http://www.slashfilm.com/atlas-shrugged-trailer/), which is more speculative based on the film's history and trailer.

The other, harsher story I couldn't find again. I'm not even sure what site I saw it on (but it wasn a "legitimate" movie website, not on some random guy's blog or message board post).

As for myself, the trailer didn't inspire me to see the film or read the book in the slightest.
*Rocketboy Shrugged*

JediTricks
03-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Ah JT, always the pessimist. It isn't being marketed like a blockbuster such as the Spiderman series. The core audience is all it needs, just like how Sweeney Todd was presented.Do not confuse pessimism for realism, I've seen these sorts of things come and go before in cinema. I suppose I could also suggest not confusing political leanings for artistic merits, the best-laid intentions to craft a political statement don't always spell artistic success, especially on the big screen.

I looked up a few reviews after reading this thread and came across few, even fewer that weren't already invested in wanting to prop up the film from devotion to the source material, but Coming Soon and The Film Stage both gave the film poor reviews.

I didn't realize this was shot specifically to hold onto the licensing rights. I wonder what Ayn Rand would say about that.

bigbarada
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I didn't realize this was shot specifically to hold onto the licensing rights. I wonder what Ayn Rand would say about that.

Yeah, neither did I, that doesn't bode well. Still I'm willing to give the movie a chance.

sith_killer_99
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I suppose I could also suggest not confusing political leanings for artistic merits, the best-laid intentions to craft a political statement don't always spell artistic success, especially on the big screen.

The big screen is one thing, yet you can not argue the literary success of the novel. I do not believe Rand considered herself an artist. She was a writter and a philosopher. If you have ever heard her describe art, or her love of art, it is pretty clear she did not consider herself to be in that category.

Rand was a capitalist. lol

Honestly, so long as she liked the final product I think it would have made little difference to her.

bigbarada
03-01-2011, 11:33 PM

:love::love::love:

I really need to take the time to sit down and read these books.

sith_killer_99
03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
:love::love::love:

I really need to take the time to sit down and read these books.

I wouldn't give Rand that much love.

Objectivism is a fine philosophy and it provides a solid base from a rational/logical perspective, as she calls it the "rational mind". Yet it falls short in dealing with human nature and emotion (irrational mind).

I much prefer Milton Friedman. He was a student of human nature and was able to balance the rational mind with the irrational emotions of human nature. We are not creatures of logic, we are human, not Vulcan.

I love watching Friedman lectures he had such a talent for demonstrating economic principles in ways that anyone could relate to and understand.

I have downloaded almost every Friedman and Rand video I can find on you tube.

Friedman > Rand

I have Friedman's video series "Free to Choose" which was fantastic if for no other reason that you get to watch sparring matches with the likes of Francis Fox Piven and Thomas Sowell!!!

Yes, I know I'm a big political geek, but this was a BIG deal for me, when I realized who I was watching in the videos I was blown away!!!

Slicker
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I didn't realize this was shot specifically to hold onto the licensing rights. I wonder what Ayn Rand would say about that.How could that be bad?! I recall reading about a Fantastic 4 movie that was made in the 90's to retain the rights and it looks teh koolz!!!

JediTricks
03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, neither did I, that doesn't bode well. Still I'm willing to give the movie a chance.

How could that be bad?! I recall reading about a Fantastic 4 movie that was made in the 90's to retain the rights and it looks teh koolz!!!I was going to make the same comment but Slicker beat me to it. That Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie was made for the same reason, although rumor has it that it was never intended to be released (I don't know either way, as it never was released, but honestly, it's not like the more recent FF movies were significantly better. :p)

The big screen is one thing, yet you can not argue the literary success of the novel. I do not believe Rand considered herself an artist. She was a writter and a philosopher. If you have ever heard her describe art, or her love of art, it is pretty clear she did not consider herself to be in that category.As I understand it, she wrote the book as allegory to express her philosophies, not for artistic merit. But with a book, you can expand upon ideas and concepts that engage the reader's imagination to have them help create the book's world within the reader's mind. A movie doesn't have that luxury, it is trying to do all of the thinking for the audience, all the doing, and it has a much shorter amount of time in which to do so, making it a more unforgiving medium.

Honestly, so long as she liked the final product I think it would have made little difference to her.From what little I understand, Atlas Shrugged is about allowing those who create and produce to hold onto their works rather than be absorbed by the "greater good" of their community, that by doing so both the individual and ultimately the community are better served in the long run. In the story, outside influences see the main character's attempt to build something new as a threat to the mediocre status quo - which they themselves are heavily invested in ensuring remains - and attempt to shut her efforts down through any means necessary, such as delays in supply, low quality of materials, and slander, as part of larger scheme to control all industry and thus all other individuals' access to it. In the case of the movie rights, it seems like something similar, the current holder of the license would rather delay and then churn out low quality product at the last minute than allow it to revert to the original owners of the license who could then negotiate with a firm more equipped to handle the material.

Slicker
03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I was going to make the same comment but Slicker beat me to it. That Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie was made for the same reason, although rumor has it that it was never intended to be released (I don't know either way, as it never was released, but honestly, it's not like the more recent FF movies were significantly better. :p)

The only thing that I've seen from it is a HORRENDOUS, what I would assume is, publicity shot.

JediTricks
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
The only thing that I've seen from it is a HORRENDOUS, what I would assume is, publicity shot.How can you have a publicity shot for a movie you're not going to release to the public?

El Chuxter
03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I've only seen about five minutes of the Corman FF movie, and it transcended "so bad it's good" territory and went into "so bad it's an affront to God and nature." It's Highlander 2 or Batman & Robin bad. Seriously.

bigbarada
03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I seem to remember seeing the Corman FF movie, but I might be mistaking it for that almost equally horrible Captain America movie from the same time frame.

I think you can watch the entire film on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omKd_bUQlXo

I must say that Dr. Doom looks 10,000 time better in this film than the 2005 version.

El Chuxter
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I must say that Dr. Doom looks 10,000 time better in this film than the 2005 version.
Me wearing a Batman t-shirt, a paper bag over my head, and a nametag that says "Hello, my name is Dr. Doon" would be a better-looking Doom than the 2005 one.

masterväder
03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I like atlas shurgged because it am combine philosphy with sometimes but not always. Ive not yet finished the book since it is super long but the prats have am read have maybe been the best of all books. hopfully this book will combine the philosphizing with the action of movies like bourne ultimatum and green day. I think Jason Bourne should play John Galt anyone agree?