PDA

View Full Version : Human Target (2010 version)

JEDIpartner
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Ando and I have been sharing a brief dialogue in another thread, so I thought I'd open up a proper thread for the show and not stray from the original intent of the other thread (the paranormal one).

ANYHOW... I caught this show mid last season (the "Baptiste" episode) and really enjoyed it (not just 'cos I think Mark Valley is really handsome or that Chi McBride cracks me up with his bitterness and sarcasm), but I think this is possibly one of the best pure action shows that's been made in years! The character of Guerrero fascinates me and Jackie Earle Haley's portrayal of him is simply top-notch. The writing is generally quite sharp and, while it doesn't really get emotionally deep, it does give you good characters, plots and some good humour. It also features some of the best stunt work I've seen on television (did anyone catch the episode with the assassin leaping down the levels of a car park?!!!).

Having enjoyed the last season, I was intrigued by the addition of the female characters and how they would fit into a largely male-oriented genre show. While I find Ames rather disposable, I like her. Ilsa Pucci? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her! It took me a long time to realise that she's the same actress who portrayed Susie Coleman in series one of Torchwood. I hated Susie and thought the actress was completely unattractive, but quite talented. I find her to be so striking in the role of Ilsa and am quite attracted to her unconventional looks. They glammed her up nicely and really got her into the action of the show this season. She's almost the Maddie Hayes of the agency and I kinda like that aspect of her character.

Anyone else besides me and Ando into this show?

El Chuxter
03-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I cannot watch it. I simply cannot.

I see the awesome Chi McBride and I am reminded of Emerson Cod from Pushing Daisies. Then I begin weeping uncontrollably as I have to relive that show's cancellation.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Well, that's a big reason why I started watching the show in the first place. I simply cannot get enouogh of Chi McBride. Pushing Daisies was one of the most magical shows that ever aired. It was so smart and so stylised that I think the general population (with their reality show mindsets) couldn't get their heads and hearts around something like it.

Anyhow... Yeah, Chi is awesome!

Ando
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I started watching this show from episode 1. The commercial promos made it look fun -- not too heavy with just the right amount of action and humor. Another big plus is that it takes place in San Francisco, which is one of my favorite cities to visit and since Monk ended, I have been jonesing for a show that takes place there.

My wife didn't get hooked until a couple episodes into the second season, but by the end, she was more upset than I was.

I was apprehensive about the new character additions of Ames and Ilsa, but 2-3 episodes in, I was amazed at how much I liked it. Very rarely do shows get tweaked for the better and this was one of them.

Anyways, this show is one of our favorites and I look forward to getting Season 1 on DVD (I ordered it from Amazon for $19.99!) and to hopefully seeing it come back for a 3rd season (although FOX has a very dismal record of keeping shows that I love).

Glad there are other fans out there. Big thanks to JP for starting the thread.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2011, 04:03 PM
I seriously love this scene...

CLICK HERE FOR HULU VIDEO (http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi1202952217/)

Every episode is so cinematic... and a lot of it has to do with Bear McCreary's music.

I hope it comes back for a third season!!!!

OC47150
03-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I enjoy the show, too. Guerrro is my fave. Dude.

I, too, am hoping it comes back for a third season.

JEDIpartner
03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I read that Fox was trying to figure out which show to save: Fringe, Human Target or Lie to Me. Seriously, dudes, save the first two. Why does it have to be ONE??? Your line-up is HORRIBLE these days and you could use some quality programming!!!

Ando
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
The wife and I fired up the first disc of season 1 last night. Great stuff. In my opinion, the show just got better as it went on, especially into the second season.

I don't want to sound negative, but FOX has an almost impecable record of killing good, original, scripted programs. Exhibit A is Arrested Development. Hopefully this show will survive.

JEDIpartner
03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
My partner and I are just finishing up season one on DVD. He'd never watched any of it until about episode five of season two and now he just loves this show.

You're right, though, about Fox; they tend to kill off the best shows or really mess them up so that there's no way for them to recover (the airing of Firefly out of sequence so that the show didn't make any sense to the viewers from the word "go").

Ando
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Yep... Firefly was the other big one that they goofed up on. That show should have lasted 2 seasons. We caught a few episodes the other night on the Science channel (Comcast 772). That was a show I never got into until it was on DVD back in 2004/2005.

OC47150
03-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I watch/watched all three shows. If I had to pick just one, I'd say keep Human Target, then Lie to Me.

Fringe is good, but it has really gone off track this year with the parallel universe storyline. I wish it would go back to the X-file-type stories/investigations.

JEDIpartner
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
See... and I disagree. I think that Fringe has been beyond amazing this year. I like the big sci-fi turn and have found the examination and exploration of the characters in "our" universe versus the ones in the alternate universe to be simply fascinating. It's definitely more of a show about characters than events, though the events propel the show forward and give the characters a raison d'etre. I also love that they will give us an alternate universe investigation with the Fringe Unit from time to time, which, to me, shows they haven't lost sight about what this show is about.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Yes, this show is great. I enjoy all the characters for many of the same reasons JP mentioned. As for which of the shows to keep, I watch Human Target and Fringe, but I would probably like Lie to Me. Why not keep all three? Any that get cancelled will probably just be replaced with another show that they end up canceling right away anyway.

OC47150
03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
I've always thought this is Fox's mentality: if a show doesn't pull in American Idol-type numbers, it doesn't give the show half a chance.

Lie to Me is a decent drama. Tim Roth makes it worth tuning in. Quirky little man who struts around.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-10-2011, 07:30 PM
What would be nice is if there was a cable network that could carry these sorts of shows. There wouldn't be quite the pressure to bring in huge numbers. Those networks often rerun a show multiple times during a week, which gives people more opportunities to see it.

OC47150
03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
What would be nice is if there was a cable network that could carry these sorts of shows. There wouldn't be quite the pressure to bring in huge numbers. Those networks often rerun a show multiple times during a week, which gives people more opportunities to see it.

One mistake Fox continually makes is not utilizing FX more and run these shows there to help build viewership, especially when there's an unusually long break.

Ando
03-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I think the problem is not ratings (I think I read somewhere that HT has pretty decent ratings) but costs. American Idol pays the bills because not only is it a ratings JUGGERNAUT, but it's (relatively) cheap to produce. Human Target has a few re-used sets, but they're basically showing a new mini-movie every week.

I agree with OC47150, FX would be a better outlet for shows like this (they actually used to show Arrested marathons back in the day), but FOX's history of mishandling shows that are almost too niche.

JEDIpartner
03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Fringe just got the renewal. Waiting on Human Target info...

JEDIpartner
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
*sigh* Still waiting, but likely to not get renewed. That'll open up another time slot for some attention-seeking wh**es to get a TV show of their own.

Ando
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
*sigh* Still waiting, but likely to not get renewed. That'll open up another time slot for some attention-seeking wh**es to get a TV show of their own.

Or it'll open up a slot for another awesome show that we'll fall in love with that FOX will kill off before its time.

They've already canceld The Good Guys. I really liked that show and thought it was just the right kind of show for what it was.

JEDIpartner
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm gonna guess "reality show" 'cos the issue of keeping this show in production is the cost. Then again, they always say that when they have a quality show need to have an excuse to excise it from their line up.

JEDIpartner
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Someone had an auction for a brand new unopened blu-ray of season one for $24.00, so I got it. *shrug*

JEDIpartner
05-13-2011, 08:40 AM
CANCELLED!!!!

:sad:

No surprise, really. *sigh* At least we got two REALLY good seasons.

El Chuxter
05-13-2011, 08:53 AM
The network executives must have decided that more than two awesome seasons of any Chi McBride show would cause people to realize how incredibly weak the rest of television is. :(

JEDIpartner
05-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Pretty much seems to be the case. *tuts*

He should do a guest voice on Star Wars: The Clone Wars as Mace Windu's even badder bruddah.

Ando
05-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Well that sucks. I think I will wait until Monday or Tuesday to tell my wife about this, lest I ruin her weekend.

JEDIpartner
05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah... what a disappointment.

OC47150
05-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I have no reason to watch Fox now. HT and Lie to Me gone. I keep forgetting about Bones, and I haven't watched the Simpsons since last fall's Halloween special.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Actually, a few shows I watch are still on Fox - House, Bones and Fringe.

OC47150
05-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Actually, a few shows I watch are still on Fox - House, Bones and Fringe.

I forgot about Fringe and Bones. I'm more loyal to Fringe than Bones right now, but that could change.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
If they need to trim the schedule, they could merge them into one show, Fringe Bones. Bones could be brought in to investigate why dead bodies keep showing up with missing fingers or toes, or with strange injuries to them.