PDA

View Full Version : What would your opinion of AOTC figures be in retrospect if...

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Hasbro began to make the figures in the style of the POTJ figures and stopped all the hyper posing non-sense. Would we still think of them as fine or as a terrible hiccup in the line. I was just curious. A change to those poses and gimmicks and staying there is one thing, but coming back to better quality would certainly cause me to not like the upcoming line even more than I do now. I suppose it would be like if they introduced the POTJ2 buff boy figures in between E1 and POTJ. Any thoughts?

JetsAndHeels
03-04-2002, 02:57 PM
JediPartnr,
Your question is a little vague, but I think I know where you're going with this.
Basically I think you are asking how we would feel if the AOTC figs were sculpted neutral, like the POTJ figs. Am I getting warm?
Well here's how I see it: People who like the idea of pre-posed figures will not like it, while the people who prefer neutral stances will embrace it.
It is really a matter of what you prefer. If you like your figures neutral, where you pretty much can pose them as you like, a POTJ-type sculpt would be better for you.
If you like the new AOTC-type sculpts, where they are already posed in an action stance (the "squatting" Preview Jango for instance) then you would like the new poses.
Personally I am in the middle on this issue.
I like where hasbro is going with the pre-posed idea, but then again I like to have control of what my figures are doing.
However I am looking forward to getting these new toys very much in April.

Beast
03-04-2002, 03:12 PM
I don't mind the hyper posing on the Jedi figures, it's necissary in fact on those cause they need the cloaks and dresses to be swirling and fluttering as they fight. Not to mention they appear in the movie primarily in those action poses anyway. Some of the more main Jedi charecters, like Luminara will probably get a relaxed posed figure later on, to counter balance the Arena version. Most of the figures really arn't all that bad, there are a few that I really cannot wait for a decent re-sculpt of. Top of the list is Padme: Arena Battle and Anakin Skywalker: Peasent disguise. To make everyone happy they can make the Padme in the white outfit a standard pose, and base it on her look before the jumpsuit gets torn up in the arena, as well as include her cape. The Anakin is just a bad figure, one that I pray will get re-sculpted soon. The Jar Jar Binks: Senator figure could use a re-sculpt also, in his regular Senatorial robes in a stance more like Palpatine and Orn Fre Taa would be nice.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 03:45 PM
These are really so different from everything else that we've been accustomed to for the last 25 years. If they headed back in that direction (the traditional sculpts), would these poses/gimmicks look completely odd when there is a 20 year history in continuity then the AOTC figures and then a return to form?

It's kinda tough phrasing the question I guess.

bigbarada
03-04-2002, 05:57 PM
I've been giving the Ep2 toy issue a lot of consideration lately and I kind of remember having a very negative reaction to the LOTR toys when I first saw them in Oct; BUT after actually seeing the toys on the shelves for months and being blown away by the film, I've begun to really like the line.

So, my point is, if Ep2 turns out to be as awesome as some of the most recent screen shots, then I might see the figures in a different light. Especially after they have been shelf-warming for a few months.;)

Dryanta
03-04-2002, 06:54 PM
I think I see what you're looking for here.If we were to line up all the figures from all the lines in order of release will the first wave of AOTC figures look seriously out of place?
I think the answer is yes and no.
I'm not all that crazy over the pre-posed idea but at the same time the sculpts IMHO are really nicely done.
So sculpt wise they are at least equal to most of what we've seen in the past.
Pose wise they are really out of place.
These are toys after all like Jar Jar pointed out in another thread.Maybe we should lighten up a little.Yes we pay good money for them and we should be happy with or purchase.
I hang on to one thought to keep me happy with the whole thing.In a few short years,There will be no more Star Wars toys to buy:cry: Until then enjoy what we have and keep pushing for better

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 07:32 PM
Now I don't mind how alot of the AOTC figures were done, but if Hasbro were to drop it by Wave 3 or 4 and go back to POTJ quality, I would be extremely happy. :cool:

jedibear
03-05-2002, 01:08 AM
I think we only have to look back at Episode One to see that this intial wave of figures for AOTC is NOT the final word.

The first wave of EpOne figures was pretty static in the posing, but many of the core characters were subsequently released with more action poses...

I agree with the idea that we'll see resculpts of main (& maybe some secondary) characters in more stationary looking poses. After all, of the lead characters we've seen, none of them will fit in any vehicles that are being released. None of the three versions of Jango we've seen will fit in Slave One, the Kenobi won't fit in the Jedi Starfighter & the Anakin won't fit in the hot rod speeder, so there's three right there that need more static poses....

Beast
03-05-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by jedibear
I agree with the idea that we'll see resculpts of main (& maybe some secondary) characters in more stationary looking poses. After all, of the lead characters we've seen, none of them will fit in any vehicles that are being released. None of the three versions of Jango we've seen will fit in Slave One, the Kenobi won't fit in the Jedi Starfighter & the Anakin won't fit in the hot rod speeder, so there's three right there that need more static poses....
Jango Fett: Kamino Escape (aka Rem. Helmet) should/will fit in the Slave 1. The Obi-Wan: Pilot (The one with the cloth cloak) figure we saw at Toy Fair will fit in the Jedi StarFighter. And Anakin Skywalker: Hanger Duel should be able to fit in the Hot Rod Speeder. We haven't seen the Anakin figure yet of course, but him and the Pilot Obi-Wan will be out on or before May 16th.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-05-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Anakin Skywalker: Hanger Duel should be able to fit in the Hot Rod Speeder. We haven't seen the Anakin figure yet of course, but him and the Pilot Obi-Wan will be out on or before May 16th.

Yeah, but him in the hotrod will be stinkovich with that lightsaber gimmick...

Beast
03-05-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Yeah, but him in the hotrod will be stinkovich with that lightsaber gimmick...
Aroo? What lightsaber gimmick? The possible magnet and metal lightsaber? Or are you confusing Anakin Skywalker: Outland Peasent Disguise with the Anakin Skywalker: Hanger Duel (Jedi Outfit)? :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthMaulSithLord
03-05-2002, 07:40 AM
I'd prefer neutral figures since you have much more freedom in diorama's and such. Pre-posed figures also tend to be very difficult if you want to chuck them into a vehicle. Anyway, if i had to pick, i'd rather go for a figure-standard in between, i.e. neutral posed, but with enough articulation to adjust the pose to your likings. Best points would be: balljointed shoulders, elbows, hips and normal articulation in neck, wrists, waiste, knees and ankles.

:D

JEDIpartner
03-05-2002, 07:41 AM
Would that be the Soft Goods one? If that's the case, we've already destroyed the reason for these "scene specific" figures. THAT Obi-Wan has his headgear moulded onto his head. That would be wrong for that scene. :(

I hope we get another one... Oh! Can't believe I'm actually saying that!!! :rolleyes:

Jayspawn
03-05-2002, 10:49 AM
I see where your're going JEDIpartnr, I would probably like them a little better if they were more POTJ style. They're more playable for kids, openers, and scene builders. And of course, they are always collector friendly.

pthfnder89
03-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Would that be the Soft Goods one? If that's the case, we've already destroyed the reason for these "scene specific" figures. THAT Obi-Wan has his headgear moulded onto his head. That would be wrong for that scene. :(

Which Obi-Wan are we talking about here? The Transmitter Obi with the fabric cloak doesn't have the headgear molded on. Are you refering to this one or a different Pilot Obi-Wan?

JEDIpartner
03-05-2002, 01:56 PM
really does have the thing moulded on to his head. I saw a couple other shots of the figure and discovered this. Oh, well. I suppose we can't have EVERYTHING!

I just saw the Preview Zam and the Tusken chickie. BOTH are very nice! I would say these would fall in line as figures you would look back on and say... "Ah! Consistency with the old line, but with slight improvements in the sculpts!" I am very excited about the two of these and was very surprised at how small they were in comparison to our initial estimations in size via web pics. I know some people were thinking they were going to be a lot larger than the current line. They are not. These two that I have seen are VERY nice. The large bubbles aren't that large either. They were relatively flat. The little blast lollipop actually looked worse, though, than it did in the pictures. It was crooked and a little deformed looking. I kinda figured that they would be stupid. (thanks for the preview, Drew- you rock!)

corporal AMF
03-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Do you remember when they started with that awesome pre-posed positions and when real-scan brhought us to this new age of collecting:D

JEDIpartner
03-08-2002, 08:21 AM
Are you mad? Those are horrid!!! Thank goodness Zam and the Tuskenette WEREN'T pre-posed! Those were great and will probably be among the few that I will actually buy.