PDA

View Full Version : What's that thing behind Jerjerrod in ESB?

El Chuxter
03-14-2011, 03:10 AM
(And don't say Jerjerrod isn't in ESB. He has been since the whole "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" was dropped in.)

I've tried to find a picture, and can't find one. (Plenty of shots of Jerjerrod in ESB, but always a frame too early or too late to show this thing.)

It's some sort of droid, and looks like it's about a foot and a half tall. Glossy black, and shaped almost like the EU Cloud Car toy from a few years back, only with less detailing. It's visible behind Jerjerrod for a split second, gliding in the direction of Vader's shuttle. Definitely not a mouse droid (as we see a clear shot of a mouse droid a bit earlier, and it's much smaller and blocky).

Anyone have anything?

JediTricks
03-14-2011, 04:34 PM
A screencap would be useful here, but I don't feel like digging out my DVDs, and I only have the original OT on my computer.

masterväder
04-08-2011, 03:39 PM
dude arent there more important thigns in life that to talk about jerjerrod in enterprise service bus? it isnt even the best coding (perl)

El Chuxter
04-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Uh... okay.... :)

JT, I finally tracked down a YouTube video that shows it and got a couple of screen caps (albeit lousy quality). Whatever it is can be seen behind the column of Imperials about 3:00 into this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er1Dnc9bdis&feature=related) (which is almost guaranteed to not last long on YouTube), and still reminds me of nothing more than a small, black EU Cloud Car on wheels.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2011, 03:54 AM
After seeing the photos and doing thirty seconds of research on Wookieepedia, it appears to be a giant mouse droid (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Giant_mouse_droid).

El Chuxter
04-10-2011, 12:19 PM
This thing looks more streamlined than the giant mouse droid we see earlier in the same shot, though.

And thanks for being a smartarse. I often look for things under the names that I rule out immediately. :p

JediTricks
04-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Weird one, yeah, that's probably that giant mouse droid, you can see its gazillion wheels in the video (the screenshot is too fuzzy and small to make out on its own, small videos are easier to make out when moving). What a weird thing!

El Chuxter
04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I brought this back up again because ESB was on Spike (a few times) yesterday. I asked my wife and brother-in-law about it, and showed them both pics of a mouse droid. They agreed it looks more rounded; Mrs Chux commented that it looked like it had a cockpit but was obviously too small for anyone to ride in.

I hate to sound obtuse, but it's far more noticeable in higher definition on a bigger screen. At first, it looks like it could be a giant mouse droid, but, if it is, it's got some surfaces that are rounded but aren't on the standard-size mouse droid.

And, really, if nerds came up with the name, shouldn't it be "Mouse Droid of Unusual Size"?

JediTricks
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Just have to be a pain in the butt, huh? :p

Here, I finally got out the SE dvds and grabbed screenshots, now we are done discussing this issue since it's CLEARLY the Giant Mouse Droid.
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/pdvd023i.jpg/

ROUS wasn't that great once, not even in the book.

El Chuxter
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Anything from The Princess Bride is, by default, awesome. Even Fred Savage. And the movie is better! Nyah!

Seriously, the front surface doesn't look rather round for a Giant Mouse Droid to you? Especially in that last shot you posted?

JediTricks
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Are you shapeblind? Like colorblind but with shapes? That's clearly a wedge with a blunt face, nothing rounded about it. It's an odd design, but follows the angular shapes of the mouse droid from ANH. Maybe it's like everything else on the Death Star, designed to be dangerous to those it serves, it's meant to knock stormtroopers down by clipping them in the ankles.

Princess Bride is way overrated. Meathead is a middling cinematic director, and lets his characters get mired in mugging and TV-style overacting. It's one area where the only reason it's respected is because the populace isn't familiar with the book. And it has Andre the Giant. But casting Robin "blah" Wright as the female lead was just laziness.

Blue2th
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Too bad we can't ask Hasbro for a Giant Mouse Droid now.

It would have been the ultimate for the MDSS, or is that the MDSA?

JediTricks
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
We can ask them, just not in Q&A. It could be part of the "vague things in the background" series, along with the Braha'tok-class gunship (yes, someone gave that thing a name).

El Chuxter
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm not saying I can't be mistaken, but everyone else that was in the room is mistaken as well. And there's a standard-sized mouse droid a few seconds before for comparison. I say that, to me, this thing is canon as a droid sentry that was based on the Cruisemissile Sled Mark II, and was in the process of replacing the outdated mouse droid at the time. It is more canon than the Legacy novels or the Clone Wars cartoon. :crazed: :D

In all seriousness, though, you're the only person I'd consider a geek who wouldn't count Princess Bride among his favorite movies.

JediTricks
04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes, I noticed that mousedroid in the shot only a few seconds earlier, it's not comparing one to another though, just a statement on the goings-on of a large, complicated station.

It's a quick scene, easy to see just a blink and be swayed by the question as to whether that shape was rounded or not. Also, I don't know if your TV is sharp or the cable signal is compressed, that could have something to do with it. But clearly that's the thing right there.

As to Princess Bride, perhaps it's because I read the book first, but then again even back in the day I found Rob Reiner's directing to be very lazy and un-nuanced and TV-esque. I know a lot of people love Spinal Tap, but that's another one where it's just cheap and not giving a lot of thought to what it's saying.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Yup, definitely the giant mouse droid. I wanted to post screencaps myself, so thanks.

Chux, I think the issue here is you expect the so-called "giant mouse droid" to literally be an upsizing of the classic mouse droid, which it isn't (or at least, the language you're using makes it seem that way). Did you even look at the pictures on Wookieepedia?

And yes, everyone in the room was mistaken. If they had seen screencaps of the thing, and then looked at a website that described what it was and had further imagery of it, instead of a guy pointing at the screen going, "No, really, doesn't it look round?" then perhaps they would have come to the correct conclusion. :D

At any rate, I hadn't noticed this thing before, so now I am aware of the giant mouse droid and my life is better for it.

El Chuxter
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
The one on Wookieepedia looks like an upsized mouse droid with a stripe on it. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Perhaps the very basic shape. But while the regular mouse droid has four sides when viewed from the side, the giant one has six (due to the little protruding lip at the bottom). It's more obvious in the top image and in the film; the lower picture on Wookieepedia might fool you into thinking it's the same shape as a mouse droid, but viewing the picture larger shows its true shape. It also has the eyestalk on top, so I think it's enough to clearly not just be an upscaled mouse droid with a stripe.