PDA

View Full Version : Any StarBlazers/Yamato Fans out there?

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure if this ever came up in the posts, but I was wondering. I thought this was one of the finest anime space operas ever. I thought the animation was (pardon the pun) stellar for its time. I have a few Die Cast vehicles and one model kit from the series. Was wondering if there are any others who got into this programme,

mabudonicus
03-04-2002, 03:49 PM
Ahhh yeah, Space Cruiser Yamato was awesome!! I was a fan ever since the late 70's, I used to tape it and watch it after school (during silverhawks or bravestarr, or after GI Joe, whichever) The Japanese cartoons were far superior to anything we had, especially due to the fact that cartoons with toys based on them weren't even allowed in the 70's here.
Star Blazers was the first taste (for a lot of us, anyways) of the grim, realistic world presented in many Japanese cartoons, with heroes dying, enemies joining to fight for universal truth, and the ever present theme of man's destruction of earth through industrialization. The films (the theatrical ones) were AWESOME, and from the series I only saw the first two (gamilons and the white comet empire). I heard that the Bolar wars were shown on tv, but I'm sure they never happened here.
For some stupid reason, I liked Grandizer better. ORION QUEST!!