PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 3DS

DarthQuack
03-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Did anyone pick one of these up? My brother and I got one this weekend....still want to read the manual a bit...looking forward to it though!

Lord Malakite
03-29-2011, 07:55 AM
As of yet no. Maybe eventually.

bigbarada
03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
I saw them in the store, but they didn't have any display models. 3 things are preventing me from getting one right now:

1. I really need to see the 3D effect in person (or at least hear some hands on reviews) before I decide whether to buy one or not.
2. I think $200 is my limit for handheld systems, so I might wait for a price drop.
3. Most importantly, the only two 3DS games that I'm interested in (Zelda: OOT and Animal Crossing) aren't coming out until later this fall.

DarthQuack
03-31-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm not crazy about it....It's given me a few small headaches.....and I'm just not that excited about it.

bigbarada
04-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I played one for a few minutes at Gamestop today and I got a headache within seconds. Plus, it doesn't look 3D at all. It just looks like a double image overlapped on top of itself, but slightly offset... it's hard to explain it, so I've attached an image to simulate the "3D effect" that I experienced. Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes, but it was hardly impressive at all.

I had to actually turn the 3D effect off so I could see what was going on in the game (it was Street Fighter 4, in case that matters).

Lord Malakite
04-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Plus, it doesn't look 3D at all. It just looks like a double image overlapped on top of itself, but slightly offset... it's hard to explain it, so I've attached an image to simulate the "3D effect" that I experienced. Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes, but it was hardly impressive at all.
For the 3D effect to properly work you have to find the sweet spot. If you are too close or too far from the screen or your head/eyes are not properly lined up with the screen you get the double image thing.

El Chuxter
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
That seems like it could be a problem. Most people I know who play handheld games don't keep them at exactly the same distance from their eyes the whole time.

Lord Malakite
04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the "magic eye" sweet spot thing is one of the bigger concerns I see mentioned quite a bit in most of the official video game website reviews (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) in regards to the 3DS. The other is battery life.

preacher
04-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I got the pilot wings game. So glad I chose it as my first 3ds game. The other games look lame. Pretty happy with system overall. But I must Say the batty life is short and you must discipline yourself to not move. That's quite a feat when your instinct is to move the controller when you are emerged in the action.

bigbarada
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I went and checked it out again today and I made sure to pay attention to how far I was holding the system to my face. Because of the size of the screen, I tend to lean in so I can get a better look and that was what ruined the 3D effect when I played it earlier.

However, even with the 3D turned off, the capabilities of the machine are pretty amazing. I played SF4 on the XBox 360 and the graphics in the 3DS version looked just as good (at least I couldn't tell the difference). I never really thought that would be possible in a handheld system.

The only thing that's making me hesitate right now is the tiny screen, because I'd be downgrading from a DSi XL to the 3DS (the DSi XL's screen is nearly twice the size of the 3DS').

Lord Malakite
04-13-2011, 06:09 AM
The only thing that's making me hesitate right now is the tiny screen, because I'd be downgrading from a DSi XL to the 3DS (the DSi XL's screen is nearly twice the size of the 3DS'). Holding off for a bit probably wouldn't be such a bad thing to do actually. I imagine an XL version of the 3DS is probably already in the works for sometime in the near future.

bigbarada
04-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Holding off for a bit probably wouldn't be such a bad thing to do actually. I imagine an XL version of the 3DS is probably already in the works for sometime in the near future.

Assuming the 3DS isn't just a repeat of the Virtual Boy. They don't seem to be selling all that well over here.

Either way, once Zelda:OOT is released in June, I'm going to find it very difficult to NOT purchase this system.

Lord Malakite
04-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Assuming the 3DS isn't just a repeat of the Virtual Boy. They don't seem to be selling all that well over here.
While its too early to call it a success or failure, I seriously doubt that the 3DS even in a worse case scenario will be quite the "crash and burn" that the Virtual Boy was for Nintendo. The 3DS (looking past the 3D gimmick) is still a true successor to the DS (and by extension Nintendo's handheld console line). One of the big things that hurt the Virtual Boy was that it was neither a true handheld console nor a true home console, but rather some "Frankenstein" of both's weaknesses. Too bulky and cumbersome to take on the road and play, yet almost too awkward and inconvenient to set up and play leisurely from the comfy of one's own home. Besides that, the 3DS does have a few things going for it (or will) that the Virtual Boy didn't. Backwards compatibility with DS/DSi game cards, DSiWare download game support, new 3DS download game support, and upcoming Virtual Console download game support (for original Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, Game Gear, and TurboGrafx-16 games).

preacher
04-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Definitely going to change out the battery and get one with a higher mAh. Such a drag having to recharge all the time. I'm slowing training myself to keep the screen in the zone. That required a lot of concentration.

bigbarada
06-10-2011, 02:54 AM
I haven't noticed any problems with short battery life on mine. However, I usually only play for a few minutes here and there. I haven't yet found a game on the system that will hold my interest for more than half an hour. That might change when Zelda OOT is released this month, though.

Anyways, from what I've heard though, it's nothing compared to the battery life on the old Sega Game Gear. I had one of those and you had to change out the 6 AA-batteries every 2 hours! That got expensive very quickly. At least they came out with an AC adapter for the system, but that pretty much defeated the purpose of it being a handheld.

AFCollector
06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
The first game I bought for the 3DS was Lego Star Wars 3, and I ended up not using much of the 3D feature at all, I could play for several hours at a stretch (which I did on a long train ride), without any real issue. As has been said here, turning off the extra features and dimming the screen a tick really extends the battery. 3D is a gimmick for me too, having it or not having it is not a selling point to me for a video game. If the game is good, I'll get it. I can live without 3D easily, but it's pretty nice sometimes.

Though with Zelda 3D coming in 2 weeks or so, I foresee battery drainage pretty often in my future so I have been eyeballing Nyko's extra-life battery as it seems like the thinnest and most manageable for me. I'm not terribly happy that it negates the innate 3DS docking station but Nyko sells one of those as well so I guess I can get both.

I remember the old Game Gear, oh man, I wish I'd invested in Duracell back then. ;x

bigbarada
06-13-2011, 11:23 PM
3D is a gimmick for me too, having it or not having it is not a selling point to me for a video game. If the game is good, I'll get it. I can live without 3D easily, but it's pretty nice sometimes.

I agree, I see it like the camera and internet browser on the DSi. It's a cool little gimmick to have available, but it's not going to affect what games I play, for the most part.

I've actually downloaded a couple of games off of the DS Shop - Link's Awakening and Alleyway - so I've been playing those old GB games more than any of the 3D games I've bought so far. I'll probably end up trading in all of my 3DS games, except for Street Fighter, when I get Zelda:OOT.

So far, I'm still pretty optimistic about the system; but to be honest, the 3DS has got to be the worst hardware launch in recent memory when it comes to compelling "must play" games. The DS Shop and internet browser weren't even up and running until several weeks after the system was released. Hopefully, it's all downhill from here.

bigbarada
06-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Did anyone else pick up Zelda:OOT today? I was at Gamestop right when they opened and I got my copy this morning. Overall, it's an awesome update of the game, it's just going to take a bit to get used to the new control scheme and I'll have to rememorize all the Ocarina songs because of the different button layout. The only thing that I've noticed missing is the rumble feature, so I'm wondering how that will affect those secrets that you could only discover with the rumble pack on the old N64?

Graphically, it looks amazing. It manages to look new and fresh, but it still feels like the same world that I got lost in almost 12 years ago.

I find myself switching the 3D off quite a bit in the dungeons and during fights, though. I do turn it back on for the big cutscenes because it's easier to hold the 3DS still.

DarthQuack
06-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I plan to pick it up this week! Looking forward to it though definitely.

AFCollector
06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah I've been playing it since yesterday afternoon. It is indeed a nice update, and so far very fun and easy to play/control. I have my 3D set to about halfway and have had no issues with the view or anything, but it does drain the battery pretty steadily.

Lord Malakite
06-20-2011, 05:54 PM
The only thing that I've noticed missing is the rumble feature, so I'm wondering how that will affect those secrets that you could only discover with the rumble pack on the old N64?
The Stone of Agony item was removed/replaced by a new item, the Shard of Agony. It serves the same purpose as the previous item more or less, but it does by auditory cues (beeping sounds via the speakers) rather than by rumbles.
This game also features a new Boss Battle mode and a 3D Master Quest. Boss Battle Mode lets you fight any/all defeated bosses whenever you wish just for the fun of it. The Master Quest in this game is similar to the previous release on the GameCube, but it is also different in two ways. First, the 3D Master Quest overworld and dungeon's room layout, puzzles and enemies you encounter are identical to the previous GameCube Master Quest, but it is now mirrored (sort of like what happened between the GameCube and Wii editions of Twilight Princess). Second difference, the enemies and bosses can do more damage in the 3D Master Quest than in the GameCube Master Quest.

Anyone who gets this game, be certain to register it with Club Nintendo (https://club.nintendo.com) ASAP. You'll receive a free Ocarina of Time 3D soundtrack CD as a gift for your trouble. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
06-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Unfortunately the soundtrack sold out within a couple of days. :(

crazymark
06-25-2011, 05:26 AM
I haven't picked it!
It was sold out so quickly :hurt:

bigbarada
08-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Just want to make sure that everyone who purchased this system before the price drop is aware of the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program. Here is the link to the info on Nintendo's website:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/3dsambassador.jsp?menu=how&submenu=ctr-ht-amb-lookup

If you performed the big system update before August 11th, then you should be eligible; but there is a page where you can enter your 3DS serial number just to make sure under: How To > How to Confirm Your Eligibility.

In short, to keep people who bought the system when it first came out from jumping ship, after they recently cut $70 off of the price, there will be 20 free games available for download between September 1st and the end of 2011. Some original NES titles that I'm interested in - especially the original Legend of Zelda (which I still haven't been able to finish after all these years).

While it is cool that Nintendo is making this effort, I can't say that I am interested in every one of the games announced so far. I would have preferred the option to opt of out the Ambassador program and just receive a $70 rebate.

Is there any precedent whatsoever for such a dramatic price drop so close to the release date of a new system? I wonder what that means for the long term viability of the 3DS.