PDA

View Full Version : Farscape's NEW new direction?

JediTricks
08-26-2001, 08:48 AM
CAUTION: For those of you who are not caught up with the current episode for any reason (i.e., "I missed it", "I live in a country where they haven't aired season 3 yet", "what's Farscape?"), then this thread will contain
SPOILERS!

So, if you've read this far, you know that Stark took off to look for Zahn's spirit and left his mask behind for the surviving Crichton, who got it when Talon found Moya and the 2 crews reunited. As soon as Crichton touched it, it set off a holographic message that the "other", dead Crichton left within it detailing the rest of the wormhole situation and how the surviving one has to stop Scorpius from unlocking this technology and destroying the universe. These are the 2 points that I want to talk about...

It seems to me that Farscape keeps reinventing itself every season or so, but these two things have the potential to turn Farscape from a show about these characters into a show about Crichton's mission, and I'm not sure if that's a good idea; while on the other hand, Stark's mission seems to feel exactly like the way Farscape has conducted business throughout it's run, whether he finds her or not. Stark's mission seems like a multi-episode storyline, but not a change of the show's core, but Crichton's mission, which has sucked in the rest of the group, seems like a change directly at the core of what the show is about. Is that a good idea, giving it a "mission" like First Wave, Star Trek: Voyager or B5: Crusade? I've always felt that Farscape stands out from most other shows because it's almost an anthology, like Stargate SG1, The Chronicle, even Lexx in a way; they have running storylines and a standard cast of characters, beyond their themes, they see and do totally new things to survive or just to live, and that's what we see, not "we must do this episode to get to the next" type of stuff. Do you think Farscape will become a "one-mission, one-goal" show that concentrates on that, and if so, is this OK with you? Or do you think that this is just another running story arc that'll play itself out and let the show continue on after they've done their thing, a la Earth: Final Conflict (best example I could come up with)?

GNT
08-27-2001, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
"I live in a country where they haven't aired season 3 yet"

I want to know whats up with that??? Its made here in Australia,Not far away from where I live and yet you guys are way ahead of us in watching them! Makes me mad :mad:

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 07:19 AM
That's just the way the distribution works, it almost always seems to come here before any other country. Babylon 5 was the same way in the UK, it was SOOOO hard discussing that show when it was still airing because we'd discuss stuff like "Garabaldi just betrayed Sheridan!" and then there'd be a half-dozen Brits having freak-out posts since we'd blown MAJOR plot devices that were as far as a year away for them.

2-1B
06-08-2002, 06:39 PM
What's your opinion on the new season? I was browsing Entertainment Weekly last weekend and they had a full page advert for both Farscape and Stargate SG1 with a little collectible card . . . I still haven't watched the show, although JJB has recommend it to me. I like the plot synopsises I've heard, I tried renting the first DVD but couldn't find it. I just don't want to take a chance by purchasing it, so I'm thinking about joining the series "in progress" and if I like what I see I can always into it retroactively. :)

Beast
06-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Just buy the first DVD Caesar, and if you don't like it toss it on Ebay. Unfortunatly, this series is a little difficult to jump right into the middle of, due to the fact everything that happens, is part of the story. Unlike Star Trek, where somthing major can happen one week, and then be forgotten from that point on.

Plus right now, the crew is pretty broken up, and one has sadly died. I won't say who, since it ruins the story to know who and how. But the charecters really do grow and change with each episode of the series. Give it a try, it's well worth the investment to watch it from the beginning.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-08-2002, 07:27 PM
It is a great show from what I have seen, which isn't that much. I was hoping Sci-Fi would show the series from the beginning but it looks like they are scattering the episodes.

Also Caeser, I (and I know JT will too) recommend Babylon 5. Sci-Fi is currently showing it from beginning to end, and they are in season 2 right now. It's not a bad place to start, even though some pivotal story parts have been forming already. To me it is one of the greatest Sci-Fi stories I have seen, and it comes real close to SW for me.

Jargo
06-08-2002, 07:55 PM
The mision thing would turn me off farscape. I'm bored of the wormhole story arc already and I still didn't catch all of season two yet. Crichton is just one aspect of the show. The other crew members and the ships themselves are all as important. I care that Moya got burned to a crisp that Talyn is in pain or whatever, that's what makes farscape so different from other yawn inducing shows. When Stark got mean it was after very careful pacing and tons of build up, a natural progression of character not a convenient leap for the sake of the episode. When Aryn Sun lost Crichton and went loopy in that hotel room and then returned to the point at which we first met her - cold and soulless and hard military discipline, that was gut wrenching to watch but totally believable as a reaction to her loss after having grown so much as a person with Crichton. But it all happened as aspects of the greater story or mythology that farscape was creating. To simply quest with Crichton makes it seem narrow and limited and I haven't even seen it yet. The idea seems idiotic but to be honest season two was going along those lines to a certain degree anyway. Scorpius is a great character but he's overused. It was fine to have the scorpius in Crichtons head pop up at the most inopportune moments and provide some creepy tension or comic relief. But it's almost like they haven't got anything better to use half the time. It's a big universe, Scorpius can't be everywhere all the time. It'd be nice to see him put to bed for a while.

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Wow, it's ancient thread #441! :D We've got 10,000 threads now, so this one is a geezer. :cool:

Caesar, the new season just started 2 days ago, I've only seen the first ep and it's yet another 2-parter (or more), so I have little solid stuff to judge, including this possibly-new cast member who I've already dubbed "Jool-Junior" but may not stick around for long, I dunno. From what I saw, it starts off with a slightly more grim situation than anything that's come before it in terms of general feeling, but it still feels twice as good as most of the TV programming I've caught lately. It's a bit of rebuilding, so everything is up in the air.

I watched the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3 before I saw any of the previous episodes and it still worked incredibly well for me. However, SFC did air the entire series up to that point right afterwords, and with that hindsight I can say that there is something great to be said about watching so many interesting relationships begin - it's a fantastic chain of events, if you come in towards the middle it's like enjoying a delicious meal, but if you wait to come in from the beginning, you might get a better sense of how these ingredients came together to create the meal. IMO, you can probably pull it off if jump in now just so long as you give it a chance and allow yourself to accept some things will have to be covered in your essential-Farscape later, possibly when SFC decides to air the series in order on a DAILY basis instead of weekly again (they probably will again within 6 months, that's how I saw it, one ep in order from the first ep per day, it was a nice catch-up).

---GENTLE SPOILERS BELOW---
Jargo, I had no idea this "new direction" - the whole "mission" thing I was talking about of last season - would end so quickly (once they finally aired it this last FRIGGIN' APRIL! Let me put this in perspective for you, my first post above was written 8 months before the "final 4" eps of that season aired, those eps that cleared up much of what I was saying above. In that time, Sci Fi Channel has deep-sixed all other original programming including Lexx and The Chronicle.), yes, I'm saying that my fears were for naught as the series has definitely not become what I thought. I think the wormhole thing is always going to be important to Crichton, but that's definitely not his main concern anymore, and now there are new problems and enemies to concern the story arc with.

Beast
06-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Have you picked up any of the DVD's, JT? I think they are great, especially the occassional one with Audio Commentary. Plus you get the extended UK cuts of the series, since they show less commercials over there. Gotta love the "Delvian Ear Kiss". :) :kiss: I think it has to definatly be one of the most refreshing Sci-Fi TV series in years, if ever. Babylon 5 is close, but I think that Farscape tips the scales a little more. Thank the gods that they were renewed for a 4th and 5th season. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
It is a great show from what I have seen, which isn't that much. I was hoping Sci-Fi would show the series from the beginning but it looks like they are scattering the episodes.

Also Caeser, I (and I know JT will too) recommend Babylon 5. Sci-Fi is currently showing it from beginning to end, and they are in season 2 right now. It's not a bad place to start, even though some pivotal story parts have been forming already. To me it is one of the greatest Sci-Fi stories I have seen, and it comes real close to SW for me. First off, if anybody doesn't take QLD's word on Babylon 5 being one of the greatest and something highly-recommendable, then I believe you're missing out. B5 is a fantastic, self-contained, grand piece of science fiction - it's like the other side of the sci-fi coin from Farscape. Both are fantastic, top of the genre, yet very different from each other, luckily sci-fi is more like a pair of 12-sided dice than a 2-sided coin :D so there is a lot of room for Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr Who, etc.. (yet Sci Fi Channel can't seem to find much of ANY of that anymore!!!)

QLD, keep watching SFC for updates, when I first jumped into Farscape during the end of Season 2, they were just preparing to air all of the series up until that point on a daily basis, by the middle of season 3, I was TOTALLY caught up. I have a feeling within about 6 months, they'll do this again.

JJB, I'm afraid I can't afford the DVDs of any series, much as I would love to have DVD collections of: Farscape, Star Trek, ST:TNG, Babylon 5, and of course the Star Wars OOT. Heck, right now, I don't even have spare funds to RENT them :(. Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll keep it in mind for when I can afford such things. :)

Beast
06-09-2002, 08:38 PM
JJB, I'm afraid I can't afford the DVDs of any series, much as I would love to have DVD collections of: Farscape, Star Trek, ST:TNG, Babylon 5, and of course the Star Wars OOT. Heck, right now, I don't even have spare funds to RENT them :(. Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll keep it in mind for when I can afford such things. :)
Understandable, I had to cut my DVD purchases back as well, thanks to Hasbro jumping the ammount of figures released. Not to mention saving up for the ET and LOTR's sets for the end of the year. Keep an eye on them, since season 2 is coming out on DVD now, I expect them to drop in price again. The extra footage is well worth it. Definatly worth owning, again IMHO. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 08:49 PM
How much extra footage is there for season 1?

Oh, and to everybody reading, just because I didn't mention Stargate SG-1 doesn't mean it's not also really good, I really enjoy it even though I came in super-late on syndication. And now it's moved to SFC as well, hopefully it won't die a quick death there (although SFC has had a really awful track record on this issue besides Farscape).

Beast
06-09-2002, 08:54 PM
It's usually around 5 minutes or so per episode. Most of it is personal interaction between the crew. Though there has been a few special effect and action scenes that were edited for the American version. I'll have to see if I can dig up what the differences are. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-09-2002, 10:25 PM
JT, is there any way for us to see the thread #, or is it just available to mods? I found it almost by accident, I was doing some mining thru the Gen Disc forum and the title reminded me of that promo and JJB's enthusiasm over the show. Odd thing was that JJB hadn't posted in this thread back in August! :D

Ooh, Babylon 5. I remember watching a few episodes when it first started (when was that? I think I remember being . . . maybe a high school sophomore - '93/'94 ? ). Anyway, I never got into it. But I will take these recomendations into consideration next time I come across the show. :)

DVD purchases - I haven't bought one since several weeks before 4/23. And I don't know yet what my next buy will be, but MAN does that ST: TNG set look tempting! I was drooling in the aisle at Best Buy just looking at it, thinking of how much I liked that show. Plus I know they are going to crank them out season by season fairly quickly, I just hope they stay available for awhile. I'd like to buy them eventually.

JediTricks
06-10-2002, 02:25 AM
Thread numbers - look at the "thread ID" at the end of the URL of a thread, this one's URL looks like this: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=441
so as you can see, the "thread ID" (written as "threadid=441") is #441.

Don't let that confuse you with post IDs, which are pretty much the same thing... just for posts instead of threads.

Babylon 5 did come out about then, in the syndicated PTEN along with "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues" and the 2nd incarnation of "Viper"... and maybe some other stuff that I can't remember. The syndicated time slot varied so much that it was impossible to get a following... but it did.

Yeah, the TNG and TOS dvds were calling my name yesterday at Fry's electronics. When TNG season 3 comes out, I'm gonna be in biiiiiiiiig trouble. ;)

QLD
06-10-2002, 10:47 AM
I am still waiting for them to release the episodes of B5 on DVD. I am happy with the movies, but I want oooooo so much more.

Beast
06-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I am still waiting for them to release the episodes of B5 on DVD. I am happy with the movies, but I want oooooo so much more.
Wait no longer, ok...maybe a lil longer. The First Season DVD boxset is scheduled for fall. Man, fall is getting really expensive for DVD's this year. Check out this thread. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=106985

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-11-2002, 01:26 AM
Yay!

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 06:41 PM
DVD madness! I thought B5's first season was already on DVD, and there was some problem with Warner Bros about DVD when the Sci-Fi Channel started airing the widescreen editions.

Beast
06-11-2002, 06:47 PM
DVD madness! I thought B5's first season was already on DVD, and there was some problem with Warner Bros about DVD when the Sci-Fi Channel started airing the widescreen editions.
Nope, the series has been out for sometime overseas, but the only thing that Region 1/North America has gotten was the first 2 babylon 5 movies a few months ago. The syndication rights were one of the major hurdles, to bringing it to DVD though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-28-2002, 03:01 PM
After originally saying that they weren't going to release a season boxset, since the cost would be so high. ADV has decided to bundle the 11 discs currently out into a new season boxset after all. Hopefully they will make the keep cases and slipcase box avaliable to people that already purchased the series. This info from Thedigitalbits.com. :)

Also, ADV has announced the DVD release of a Farscape: Season One box set to street on 10/29 (SRP $149.98). The set will feature all 22 episodes on 11 discs, packaged in 6 keep cases with a newly-designed slipcase box. Extras include episode commentaries, conceptual drawings, video profiles. Note that these are the same discs already available individually.

And if you just want the best of Farscape's first season, you can buy... you guessed it... Farscape: The Best of Season One on 7/9 (SRP $44.98). The 3-disc set includes 6 featured episodes along with select special features.

On the other hand, if you're like me and you'd rather just get on with the business of the show's second season on DVD, you can pick up Farscape: Season Two, Volume One (SRP $39.98 - available now) - a 2-disc set containing the first 4 episodes of the season, along with deleted scenes and other bonus material. I'm hoping ADV picks up the pace a little with season two... just a suggestion. It took FOREVER to get season one out.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
06-28-2002, 03:50 PM
Hey JarJarBinks, I really want to get this, but $150 is to rich for my blood. How is the Best of... Any extra stuff on the DVDs?

Beast
06-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
Hey JarJarBinks, I really want to get this, but $150 is to rich for my blood. How is the Best of... Any extra stuff on the DVDs?
Well, with pre-orders It will likely be more like $80, I'm betting. The X-Files sets have a MRP of around the same, and you can get them by pre-order for around $80. As for the features of the Best of set, lemme pull them up. This may take a while. :)

Ok, it contains the following episodes from Season 1. "Premiere," "DNA Mad Scientist," "A Human Reaction," "Nerve," "The Hidden Memory," and "Family Ties" All the episodes are the extended UK versions, with a couple extra minutes. There is some extra features, and two of the episodes in the set feature Audio Commentary. There are also other extra features, but I'm having trouble finding complete specs for the set online at the moment. :(

Update: Ok, I finally found somemore info:

Best of Season One DVD

Release Date: 9 July 2002 Region Available: US
Released by: ADV Films MSRP: $44.99

ADV FILMS bring you the former BLOCKBUSTER exclusive, not available at retail! Now you can get the absolute best episodes from the first season of your favorite SCI FI Channel series in one collection with the FARSCAPE: BEST OF SEASON ONE DVD set!

This three disc set chronicles the greatest moments from the award-winning science-fiction epic with six episodes personally hand-picked by FARSCAPE series creator Rockne O'Bannon. Each disc is also loaded with a ton of fantastic DVD extras to keep you riveted to your television set long after the show is over.

DVD One features:
"Premiere"
"DNA Mad Scientist"
The documentary "Making of a Space Opera"
"Premiere" commentary

DVD Two features:
"A Human Reaction"
"Nerve"
Video profiles of:
- John Crichton
- Aeryn Sun
- Zotoh Zhaan

DVD Three features:
"The Hidden Memory"
"Family Ties"
Video profiles:
- D'Argo
- Rygel
- Pilot & Moya
- Chiana
"Family Ties" commentary

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
06-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Thanks much, JarJar!

JediTricks
06-28-2002, 05:59 PM
Man, they need to pick a direction and stick to it for even a MINUTE. I'm sorta glad I'm not buying tv series DVDs right now, this situation would drive me noots.

BTW, can't wait for the new ep toniiiiiiiight!!!!

Beast
06-28-2002, 06:09 PM
BTW, can't wait for the new ep toniiiiiiiight!!!!
Me either, the show has gotten off to a great start so far this season. Though I wonder after last weeks episode, if we really have seen the last of Scorpius or not. I'll put the spoiler comments in silver, just hightlight to read. :)

After all, he wasn't dead when they shot him and shoved him into the grave. He's pretty strong, so I wonder if it's possible that he could have dug his way out. The grave is pretty shallow.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-28-2002, 07:17 PM
There's no question in my mind as to that, IMO, we haven't.

Beast
07-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Hey JT, and other fans of the show. Something thats mentioned in one of the Audio commentaries on the DVD's struck me as funny, and I decided to see what you guys think. They mentioned that the Prowlers are 2 seater ships. But often you see in the first two seasons that Aeryn, Crichton, and Dargo all supposedly ride in the prowler at the same time. So where exactly are they sticking Dargo, in the trunk of the ship? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Heh heh, I think they do the same thing with Crichton's module. :D

Beast
07-06-2002, 02:39 AM
Heh heh, I think they do the same thing with Crichton's module. :D
That started to bother me also, but not as much as 3 in the prowler. I know the module is a small ship, but then all of a sudden Crichton and Aryan are riding around in it, and then Crichton and Scorpious. Here I thought it was this experimental 1 seater space craft. I know the actual ship design is based of of NASA's escape shuttle for the International Space Station. So maybe it is a 2 seater. It just never seamed like one before it was shown that way in "Till the Blood Runs Clear".

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-06-2002, 05:15 AM
I'm still working on how they fit the whole crew except for Aeryn into D'argo's ship. :D "Wrinkles" alone seems to take up most of the back.

Jonna
07-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Someone please tell me that last weeks episode was a repeat. I just could not get home early enough to watch it.

Beast
07-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Someone please tell me that last weeks episode was a repeat. I just could not get home early enough to watch it.
Nope, last weeks episode was new. Jule is back on board, with a new crewmember. Scorpious is with the crew now, though noone is trusting him. They had him chained up in pilots den while they were dealing with the current crisis. He even got a vote for being Moya's new Captain. Most likely by Jule, I think there is somthing going on there. I sense love in the air.

Don't miss this friday's episode, I changed my avatar and will likely change it twice a day in preperation for friday. Pa'u Zotah Zhaan is back somehow. I think it's just here as a spirit from the afterlife visiting the crew. Frankly I wish since she was a plant, that they would find a sprout or somthing growing in her old quarters and it happens to grow into her. I always loved her charecter, much better then her replacement, Jule. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Nope, last weeks episode was new. Jule . Scorpious is with the crew now, though noone is trusting him. They had him chained up in pilots den while they were dealing with the current crisis. He even got a vote for being Moya's new Captain. Most likely by Jule, I think there is somthing going on there. I sense love in the air.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks! I knew about Scorpi from the week before., {Edited because of a mix up in names} From the really strange, trippy like commercials I have seen there is no way that I am missing this week.

Why in the world doesn't Sci-fi play the repeat on a different day? I mean, if you can't catch the 10:00 one you probably will not catch the 12:00 one either. Atleast, I can't.

JediTricks
07-22-2002, 10:52 PM
Jool is NOT back on board. The new girl is the gravity-shifting Sikozu, an expert on leviathans who is very smart, can regrow lost limbs, and has little true loyalties to anybody - though Scorpius did win a little of that when he saved her life on the planet Arnessk where Jool stayed to study with the monks.

As for why Sci-Fi Channel can't play reruns on different days, it's because SFC is run by people who are trying to kill the network and turn it into the USA Channel's offshoot "Action Network".

Beast
07-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Jool is NOT back on board. The new girl is the gravity-shifting Sikozu, an expert on leviathans who is very smart, can regrow lost limbs, and has little true loyalties to anybody - though Scorpius did win a little of that when he saved her life on the planet Arnessk where Jool stayed to study with the monks.

As for why Sci-Fi Channel can't play reruns on different days, it's because SFC is run by people who are trying to kill the network and turn it into the USA Channel's offshoot "Action Network".
My bad, I thought it was Jool. Serves me right for watching the series while your sick. Yeah your right that's that new chick. Why they are giving her a vote on who should be ship captain, and she just got there is a bit weird. So I wonder if they are going to soften Scorpious up to a likeable charecter, and then when he gets really popular get rid of him like they did Crais and Talyn. :(

So JT, what do you think of next weeks return of Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan? Anticiptating it as much as I? I really hated when they killed her off. They should have killed Chiana instead, I never really cared for her. Or killed Jool, but atleast she's gone for now, and Chiana has grown on me. I wonder how long Dar'go will be around, his story arc is pretty much wrapped up....so he's fair game to die or leave. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 07:30 PM
It was weird that they gave Sikozu a vote, I hadn't thought of that though - she's such an obvious replacement for Jool (right down to the semi-royal past, red hair, and mysterious circumstances) that I guess I just accepted it.

I think Zhaan's return will be something in John's mind, something really more like a dream sequence. I think her departure really spoke a lot to how the show needed shaking up at that time, her character felt neccessary but really didn't add much at that point. Even D'argo seems to have more of a bond with the characters than Zhaan did by the end, and Virginia Hey seemed to really become annoyed with the role. I miss Stark more than I miss Zhaan, I know that's not a popular thing to say, but it's how it is.

Jonna
07-23-2002, 09:05 PM
I have a bit of a strange question. Have they ever mentioned the mating prosess of leviathans? Not being smart, just asking.

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 10:11 PM
I've never watched Farscape...I've heard it's gotten awards, but from the commercials it looks pretty stupid.

Beast
07-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I've never watched Farscape...I've heard it's gotten awards, but from the commercials it looks pretty stupid.
DeadEye, do you just go from thread to thread and post crap like this to tick people off? I'm starting to find it hard to believe the amount of things you haven't seen. If you don't have somthing constructive other then, "it looks stupid" to bring to the conversation, maybe you should consider not posting anything at all. No wonder you have such a high post count in such a short ammount of time. :mad: :frus:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-23-2002, 10:18 PM
Watch your tongue, boy! I can take a lot of abuse, but don't bad mouth Farscape until you can say that you have watched it.

Jargo
07-23-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm just browsing through this thread grabbing spoilers for the season we haven't had over here yet and yes, I agree with JJB for once.

I have no idea how Farscape shapes up so this is a really interesting thread so far. I'm completely bafled now. It only really works if you then get to see the episodes you guys have talked about and we probably won't get this until the fall or next year.
I can see why they'd get rid of Crais. He served no purpose. He got so soft and squishy as a character it was a sad state of affairs. Much better to soften Scorpy a little to replace him as the character not to be trusted. Scorpy offers more room to manouvre with layer upon layer of untapped depths. Crais got pretty one dimensional as far as I could tell.

Beast
07-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I can see why they'd get rid of Crais. He served no purpose. He got so soft and squishy as a character it was a sad state of affairs. Much better to soften Scorpy a little to replace him as the character not to be trusted. Scorpy offers more room to manouvre with layer upon layer of untapped depths. Crais got pretty one dimensional as far as I could tell.
Yeah, as soon as he stopped hunting John his intrest factor started to die. Then he was helping them out all the time, and being accepted by the crew. He was becoming way to buddy buddy with everyone. The changes to his charecter, was the worst plot development the show ever took.

I just hope they don't do the same to Scorpy. I've liked his charecter from the moment he turned up, and I don't want to see him get the wishy-washy treatment as well. Things are going to be weird on the show now. With Scorpy being a member of the crew, and John still having a mental clone of Scory in his head. I hope the show doesn't turn into all Scorpy, all the time.

Actually, this could lead to an intresting plotline, with John's mental clone trying to take over again. And the real Scorpy telling John that he can help purge his mind of the clone. Then you have John trying to figure out if Scorpy is really serious about helping or not. Perhaps this could be a good change after all, if it's handled right. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-24-2002, 07:49 AM
Scorpy is s darn cool. best Scorpy moment was the hallucination of him as a jazz band. Seeing him sit there on the drums was just too weird. :crazed: but that's when Scorpy works best I think. When we see him how John sees him in his head. That's when Scorpy is the most interesting and weird. Scorpy as Scorpy is just another pantomime bad guy really. But seeing John wrestle with his sanity and the Scorpy inside will be fun to carry on with as long as Ben browder doesn't overdo the ugly faces. I feel sure that one day his eyes will just pop right out of his head when he does that ugly face thing when he's in pain. shocking. :sur:

Has Rygel gone soft too? he seemed to be getting too melancholic and sympathetic to me.... Best Rygel moment ever for me was him sitting in the gun emplacement letting rip to cover the butts of Aryn and John while the modified the copy of Johns ship with the wormhole bomb. Hehehe that was fun. :)

DeadEye
07-24-2002, 07:57 AM
I was just posting an opinion...sorry if it ticked you off. And Jar Jar, I really haven't seen any of those things I mentioned.

Jargo
07-24-2002, 03:32 PM
So why post here just to tell us that? It's quite obviously a thread started by and posted in by fans of farscape. If you aren't a fan why post? The only thing it does is draw attention to yourself which is obviously what you desire. But the net result of that is that it ultimately does nothing to engender a feeling of goodwill toward you.
If you now go and watch a little farscape and attempt to formulate an opinion that consists of more than 'it's crap' you might get more of a response.
These guys are more clued up than me but at least I can have a conversation with them having at least a passing knowledge of what they're talking about.
I don't want you to reply to this deadeye, I want you to go and watch farscape and think about what you watch for a while and then come back and try again. Do something more constructive than simply post a thousand times for the sake of posting a thousand times.
And you can stop attempting to ire JarJar. It seems to me that that was your only motive in posting in this thread. You think it's fun to provoke. Fun for you but boring for us. :zzz:

Jonna
07-24-2002, 03:36 PM
How far behind in the show are you Jargo? Just this season so far?

Beast
07-24-2002, 03:58 PM
The sad part is, that the UK actually gets the DVD releases quicker. They are at the end of the 3rd season over there now, if I recall correctly. Where as us in the states just got the first 4 episodes of Season 2. So they get the short end of the stick when it comes to the show being broadcast, but they get the DVD releases quicker. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Yeah and the bummer is that i don't have a DVD player :( BBC2 show it but every time there's a marginal sport event like ladies beermat hurling or synchronised belching or something equally dire, they shove the show around in the schedules and I missed a lot of season two. I was completely lost for a while. I have to say that I really jumped for joy after John died and Aryn went back to being the hard cold b*tch. The lovey dovey angle was a bit poor. She's so much cooler when she's angry all the time. And suspicious. I hope they reshow the second season before the new one starts so I can catch up.
I keep trying to get my partner to go for a DVD player but so far my pleas for new toys have fallen on deaf ears. Maybe this xmas I'll get lucky and go out and get the whole thing on disk and have a week of nothing but farscape :crazed:

Is it true that you get an edited version? Shorter than the episodes we get. I saw that the DVD had extra footage and assumed it was new stuff edited out for UK tv. The show goes out at 6pm so I thought maybe it was the more violent bits they cut out for family viewing or something. But it's actually you who gets the edited version then? :confused:

Beast
07-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Is it true that you get an edited version? Shorter than the episodes we get. I saw that the DVD had extra footage and assumed it was new stuff edited out for UK tv. The show goes out at 6pm so I thought maybe it was the more violent bits they cut out for family viewing or something. But it's actually you who gets the edited version then? :confused:
Our episodes are a little bit shorter, because or TV stations show more commercials. So they cut about 2-3 minutes out of the show to add in more commercials. Luckily the DVD's have included the uncut UK versions. But it seems that with season 2, they included them on the discs as deleted scenes instead. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-24-2002, 11:30 PM
best Scorpy moment was the hallucination of him as a jazz band. Seeing him sit there on the drums was just too weird.I thought Pilot was the one on the drums.

We do indeed lose about 2 to 3 minutes in the US thanks to our longer commercial breaks. However, Sci Fi Channel did air during the rerun "syndicated" style run an episode where Crichton actually says "sh**" real clearly without censoring it, I was shocked (and hoped they'd let down their guard more often ;)).

I get the feeling there's a *slight* possibility that Crais and Talon will turn up scarred but alive, and even more nuts than usual. If I'm wrong, it was a good death and a great curveball, even better than Zhaan's death in many ways.

Jonna
07-24-2002, 11:39 PM
No, best Scorpy moment was any time that he was in a Hawian shirt. Something about that just drives me into hysterics! Ya know, I started wearing leather pants and Hawian shirts out to clubs after seeing that. Big laugh, to bad it's only in my head!

No, I change my mind! Best Scorpy moment is when John throws him in the garbage and says "Can I get a hell ya"! and the crowd responds. I peed my pants, fell to the floor, obtained Ultimate Power, road in Kitt and said WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! all at the same time.

Jargo
07-25-2002, 10:09 AM
I was sure the whole band was made up of scorpies... it's been a while since I saw that....

The hawaiin (how in gods name do you spell that?) shirt thing, was that on the roller coaster?

Just as a side note anyone buy the figures? I was going to get Rygel when they showed a pic of him in the bondage gear but I haven't seen that anywhere. Did they actually go ahead with it? Rygel in bondage gear. Now that was funny. :D

Jonna
07-25-2002, 10:17 AM
I have been really on the fence about buying them. Rygel in Bondage Gear???? Where the hell can I see a pic of that? I think that I am going to get the Scorpy in 'Hawaiian' (spell checkers are man's greatest invention) shirt now that I think about it.

I can't remember what episode Scorpy was wearing it in, but I think that the one you are refering to is it.

Jonna
07-25-2002, 11:55 AM
I have a question concerning the action figures. I was just looking at them online and wondering what the hell is the difference between regular, special and exclusive editions?

Beast
07-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Scorpy also appears in a Hawaiian shirt in the first Episode his clone in John's brain starts appearing. That Episode was Episode 4 of the second season, "Crackers Don't Matter". The Scorpious figure with the Hawaiian shirt is supposed to be from that Episode. :)

Jonna, the exclusive editions usually have different pack-ins and paint jobs. I'll need to dig up my sheet that tells exactly what the differences are. If you will give me 30 minutes or so, I'll post the whole lot for you. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-25-2002, 01:01 PM
Maybe I'm cracked, but I think that our avatars are looking at one another a bit oddly. Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Hawaiian Scorpy from a local comic shop. What I want them to make is a Peacekeeper outfit John.

Beast
07-25-2002, 01:07 PM
Here's what I was able to dig up. Instead of just posting a long list, I will give you a link to Toy Vault's website. Note that the site re-used some pictures so they are not always correct. Like for instance they show the Special Edition of Zhaan for both the regular and special edition versions. :(

http://www.toyvault.com/farscape/series1_regular.html
http://www.toyvault.com/farscape/series1_special.html
http://www.toyvault.com/farscape/series1_reunited.html
http://www.toyvault.com/farscape/series1_exclusive.html
http://www.toyvault.com/farscape/series2_regular.html
http://www.toyvault.com/farscape/series2_special.html
http://www.toyvault.com/farscape/series2_exclusive.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks much!

Beast
07-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Maybe I'm cracked, but I think that our avatars are looking at one another a bit oddly. Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Hawaiian Scorpy from a local comic shop. What I want them to make is a Peacekeeper outfit John.
Nope, you're not cracked at all. Zhaan knows what a naughty monkey Namtar has been, and she's ready to kick his butt. It's just a good thing your not using Maldis as your avatar. You know what good old Zhaan did to him. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-25-2002, 06:15 PM
The Bondage Rygel was in a toy mag some time ago as something in the works. I did have the mag but can't seem to find the damn thing. It was from the episode where John gets the knowledge about the wormholes I think and he has a weird hallucination about being on a medical slab and - here my memory goes real fuzzy - either Zhaan or Aryn in dominatrix gear and Rygel in black leather scorpy type bondage gear appear to be taunting and tempting John....

like I say my memory is hazy but that's what the figures were depicting and I recall them being advertised as exclusives. All's I know is if they made them I want them :D

Beast
07-25-2002, 06:21 PM
I vaguely remmeber them also Jargo. Odd, I'll do some scouting around on the Net and if I find them I will post a link or attach them. Do you happen to recall the name of that Episode? It would help me search a little easier if you did. By the way, I think it was both Zhaan and Aeryn, and they tease John. Then they start making out with each other, if I recall. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-25-2002, 08:18 PM
I think the episode is called 'A human reaction' from season one.

Okay I cheated and went to the BBC2 farscape mini-site. I tell you what the episode reviewer for the BBC is right up his own bum. Talk about putting down a product you're supposed to be advertising. go here http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/farscape/story/premiere.shtml
And see what I mean. Nice site but what's with the attitude?

Beast
07-25-2002, 08:26 PM
Gee, you are right Jargo. Do they actually want people to watch this show? They need to have someone who actually enjoys the show review it, not this crusty fellow. He seems to bad mouth the show when he gets a chance, and also is sure to point out flaws. :rolleyes:

It can't be an episode in the first season, I just got thru the other day watching the entire first season on DVD. I believe that its, "Won't Get Fooled Again" from Season 2. It follows a similar plot to the one you mentioned. John wakes up back on Earth, and people tell him that the experiment was a failure and he crashed.

Little by little the Scarrian start having people John knows popping up as other people. It's an attempt to get at the wormhole technology in his mind. The neural clone of Scorpy pops up and informs John of this, and he's able to get out of the fake reality. Good Episode, now that I recall it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Hey Jargo/Jar Jar! One of you might know this: How does one spell; "frelling"?

Beast
07-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Exactly how you just spelled it, Frelling. :)

MTFBWY nad HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I was not sure!

Jargo
07-25-2002, 08:47 PM
yeah, now you come to mention it I recall that episode as well. Like I said though, the way it's shown over here is bad. I really lost track of season two and almost gave up. Actually I think my partner is a bigger farscape fan than me. Trek and farscape and star wars and smallville and buffy and angel..... my partner reckons on not being a fan of any of this cult stuff. :rolleyes: I guess in the same way that Clinton wasn't a fan of lady cigar smokers :evil:

Annyhoo, I reckon you're dead on there JarJar. If I'd researched a little longer I would have got it too but the reviews were annoying me too much. really nice pictures on the site though. cool wallpapers... Odd that there's a whole episode synopsis for season three and we haven't had it yet... perhaps sooner than i thought the episodes arrive on my screen, late summer not winter. Hope so cuz there's buggar all on tv right now save for Enterprise which just started this week after the pilot last week.
I'm too tired. waffling aimlessly. have to go to sleep but I'll be back..........

Beast
07-26-2002, 10:03 PM
Well the Episode was intresting, I'll give it that. On par with the loony tunes episode though for oddness. Looks like they are grooming Stark as a new possible villan. He definatly hates John for what happened to Zhaan, to go thru all that trouble.

I felt so cheated when they first revealed Zhaan in the episode, since it was someone else playing her. I thought that they were trying to pull a fast one. Nice to see that we did get to see her again, though I wish it was on a more permanent basis. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-03-2002, 04:41 AM
I wasn't too clear on real-world Stark's role in last week's episode. I thought it was weaker than the Looney Toons ep, predictable and little "fresh" product.

Did I not warn you Zhaan might be a bit of a rip off? I liked the end twist, but it was a bit of a slap in the face to all those Zhaan fans who wanted more.

Tonight's ep was a lot more fun, though the shrinking gag was a bit too much for me. I liked mostly everything, except tiny Aeryn's ride and the last few moments when they're talking about their "new direction". Oh, and how did they get Rygel stuffed into that canister? It looked way too small for his portly body. :D

stormie
08-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Anyone catch Crichton's "Klaatu, Barada, Nikto" remark in the Aug. 2 ep.? Great to hear that little gem sneak out! :)

JediTricks
08-03-2002, 11:50 PM
Yeah, and I love how he actually called the guy "Gort" before he said it! And he didn't even cough at the end, "Klaatu, barada, nic*cough*!" :D ;)

JediTricks
08-10-2002, 03:52 AM
Well, tonight's episode "A Prefect Murder", was possibly the most confusing, sloppy-looking episode I've ever seen from Farscape. I'm still a bit in shock at just how wasteful the first 20 minutes seemed, but then there was the bit about Chiana and prefect's son... only it was Sikozu and the prefect's son??? This one was just a mess, and then it seemed like except for Chi's problem at the end, this ep added NOTHING to the series at all.

Patient Zero
08-23-2002, 10:09 PM
Now this is not just because I have a very personal and philosophical interest in the space-time continum and wormhole theories, but that episode was the best of the season. Brilliant! I'll be there for the next showing.

PS Who the hell was playing Chiana for the whole episode?