PDA

View Full Version : Some confusion about the Clone army

Hellzer
03-04-2002, 06:35 PM
Now I'm aware that about 10 years prior to AOTC, Palpatine (posing a Jedi Sido-Dyas) commisions the Kaminoans to create an army of millions of clonetroopers. But who's coming up with the funds to initiate such a huge undertaking? Do the Kaminoans just do it out of the goodness of their hearts? Did Palpatine save up his Republic credits? Ordering a few millions troops isn't like ordering a pizza (or dusting crops for that matter). And if this was supposedly a con job with a Jedi nobody ever heard of, how does the Republic then gain control of the clone army? This has been bugging me for a while, and I'm sure there's some kind of rational explanation.

Thanks.

Beast
03-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Hellzer
Now I'm aware that about 10 years prior to AOTC, Palpatine (posing a Jedi Sido-Dyas) commisions the Kimonians to create an army of millions of clonetroopers. But who's coming up with the funds to initiate such a huge undertaking? Do the Kimonians just do it out of the goodness of their hearts? Did Palpatine save up his Republic credits? Ordering a few millions troops isn't like ordering a pizza (or dusting crops for that matter). And if this was supposedly a con job with a Jedi nobody ever heard of, how does the Republic then gain control of the clone army? This has been bugging me for a while, and I'm sure there's some kind of rational explanation. Thanks.
The Kamino's are probably getting somthing out of the deal, access to Jedi DNA samples or a promise to get paid at a future date signed by Sydo-Dyas who is posing as the head of the Jedi Temple. From what I understand, the Kamino people don't take any intrest in off world politics, so wouldn't know if he was genuine or not. They may also be really trusting, so the forged papers that Sidious presents may be enough to convince them. Perhaps they were promised re-settlement on a new world, since the natural disaster that flooded their planet, also wiped out most of the species on their planet. It also made them rely solely upon cloning as a food source. Perhaps there is is also only so many times you can clone food, before the genetic samples break down, and they are starting to starve.

When Obi-Wan stumbles upon Kamino and the Clone Army, he reports back to Palpatine and the council about what's going on. Thru macanations by Sidious, the real threat is considered to be Count Dooku and the Confederacy of Independent Systems who are massing a giant droid army so they can leave the republic. The jedi's offer their assistance in quelling the uprising on Geonosis, but only have about 200 members that can go. I believe Mas Ameda comes up with the idea of seizing the clone army, and using that to assist the jedi's, but they can't do it with out a edict from the senate, which would take a long time to go thru voting and such, and the troops are needed now.

The idea comes up that a well trusted Senator, could call for Supreme power to be granted to Palpatine, and he could order the seizing of the CloneTroopers and their activation. Of course they need someone that doesn't have an intrest, or isn't allied with Palpy and Jar Jar Binks steps forward, agreeing to offering the motion at an emergancy senate meeting. He does, it's agreed on and Palpatine becomes even more powerful, because he has supreme control without needing the senate during the crisis. He seizes the CloneTroopers, and sends them to Kamino to assist the Jedi's. They arrive after most of the Jedi's have already been killed by the droid army, which again allows Sidious to advance his plan of destroying the jedi's. And now, he has control of an army of CloneTroopers thru his alter ego, or clone copy Palpatine.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
03-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Kamino is as obscure a planet as Hoth, nearly erased from memory because of its remote location. Their specialty is cloning - they even have to clone their own food. Which implies that the Kaminoans have made the cloning technique fairly inexpensive, compared even to potential Republic cloning facilities. So you have a clone army eating cloned food that is required for the Kaminoans anyways.

The Jedi are known for good intentions throughout the galaxy, so the Kaminoans would be eager to help anyone with as peaceful an ideology as theirs. Even as clone soldiers, the intention would seem that it is a defending army.

Jar Jar's got the Republic acquisition summed up nicely. Mace goes to Geonosis with the Jedi army while Yoda remains on Coruscant while Palpatine is granted emergency powers - Palpatine then sends Yoda to Kamino to release the clones, an army to Geonosis, and the rest to Coruscant, where we see them loading at the end of the film...

Hellzer
03-04-2002, 08:44 PM
Now it's starting to make sense. I was under the impression that the Kaminoans were more on the villainous side, but now it appears they're more like innocent pawns and were I little too trustworthy for their own good. I can see Palpatine manipulating them as only he can.

But I'm still wondering how exactly the Republic goes about seizing the clone army. As far as I know, the Kaminoans are not affiliated with the Republic, and the person who ordered the clones turned out to be a hoax, so what kind of authority does Palpatine, with his new supreme power, have in order to convince them to hand over the army? He probably can't pretend to be Sido-Dyas anymore without the risk of being exposed. I 'd hope they just wouldn't give millions of troops over to the first person that asked them.

chewie
03-04-2002, 09:07 PM
Kamino. Isn't it the planet that is completely cloaked? The whole plan of Sidious to buy an army of clones from an incredibly secretive race of creatures is just a wee bit too convenient to the plot for me, but whatever. It advances the story.

Jedi Clint
03-04-2002, 09:08 PM
The Kaminoans were under the impression that they were creating the clone army for the Republic and it's Jedi gaurdians. When the stuff hits the fan and Palpatine gets handed emergency powers so he can bypass the Senate and commission the clone army to help the Jedi in the final battle.....what is different for the Kaminoans? They hand the clones over to Jedi Master Yoda (representing the Republic) rather than Jedi Master Sido Dyas (representing the Republic). As far as they knew, they were doing it for a just and noble organization before, so nothing changed.

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by chewie
Kamino. Isn't it the planet that is completely cloaked? The whole plan of Sidious to buy an army of clones from an incredibly secretive race of creatures is just a wee bit too convenient to the plot for me, but whatever. It advances the story.

Well it is supposed to be based on those old serials from the theatres, and every bad guy conviently was able to get the super-duper mondo deathray. :D

Beast
03-04-2002, 10:17 PM
Grrr...double post. :(

Beast
03-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Perhaps there is is also only so many times you can clone food, before the genetic samples break down, and they are starting to starve.

Guess the theroy that the samples break down is a definate possibility now. Which means that Sydo-Dyas may have offered them pure food to be used as cloning fodder. This information comes from www.episode-x.com :

The Clone Centre is where the battalions of clones are being produced. So far two batches of Clones have been produced with the DNA of Jango Fett as template, which wears out after approx. 20,000 samples. This requires Fett to stay on the planet from time to time.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Poor guy, too bad they couldn't just clone him and use the clone for the template. :D