PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

JEDIpartner
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I just had a twenty minute laugh because I, apparently, am 12-years old again. I was finishing up this week's invoices to get them in the mail with their corresponding advert grids. I ran across an advertiser with a most unfortunate name: Greg Skok.

No. Lie.

"Has anyone seen Greg Skok?"
"I'd like to see Greg Skok with Mike Hunt."
"I can't reach Greg Skok."

Oh... I could go on.

Blue2th
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
:laugh: I wonder if parents think about these things when naming their children? Are they oblivious, or do they think it's funny?

I once worked with a Wendel Payne and Al Pine at the same time.

JEDIpartner
04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
It's possible that this person's name is pronounced "Skoke", but who can say? "Greg Skok". LOL There's no name they could put next to that and make it good!! Like-- "Linda Skok". Is she a hermaphodite??!!

I went to school with a Mike Mikes and Dave Davis, so... yeah. I get the Payne and Pine thing as well. LOL

I think the worst first name I've ever heard was "Boogamier".

Maradona
04-15-2011, 01:13 PM
A boy named Phu Phuc Phong was once enrolled in a program at my school.

JEDIpartner
04-15-2011, 01:23 PM
A boy named Phu Phuc Phong was once enrolled in a program at my school.

Nuh-uh!!!!! No way!!!!! :laugh:

El Chuxter
04-15-2011, 01:47 PM
I've actually got that one beat.

I went to college with a guy named "Dang Ho." Nice guy, but a few of us always wondered why he didn't go by his middle name or something, since "Dang Ho" obviously made him the butt of a few jokes in middle school.

Then they printed the student directory. Everyone's name was listed in first, middle initial, last format. No exceptions (probably because the computer didn't want to make exceptions). And it turned out "Dang" was his middle name. His first name was "Phuc." He was listed in the directory as "Phuc D Ho."

The name "Phuc" means "blessing" in Vietnamese. Apparently, a lot of pho restaurant owners have picked up on the double entendre of both that name and the word "pho" itself. There's a great Vietnamese restaurant in Vegas with the unfortunate name "Pho Kim Long" (or is it "Pho King Long"? I just recall it definitely spurred some laughter).

Another unfortunate name in Vietnamese is "Dung," pronounced "yoom." It's a type of flower, or it means "bravery," depending on whom you believe. My wife was born with the name "My Dung," but her father (an American serviceman) insisted that her name be legally changed when they came to America. Her mom is still "Dung," and it leads to a lot of people asking her to repeat the spelling of her name since they're sure they must have it wrong.

JEDIpartner
04-15-2011, 01:49 PM
That's just wrong!!

Blue2th
04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Poor guy, and then the first name. :laugh:

I always thought Deng Xiaoping (dung chow ping) sounded like constipation relief.

Maradona
04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Wow. There's a restaurant in Chinatown here in LA called the Won Kok. In all reality, many western names are likely hilarious puns to speakers of other languages.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-15-2011, 08:57 PM
The nickname I went by through high school, combined with my last name, became an interrogative statement with onomatopoeia. Now, it would just be a sentence fragment in the future tense.

Unless the parents were messing with the reading public and the reporter, there was a photo in the newspaper a bit back of a little girl in the park in the spring or summer time. Her last name? Dukes. Her first name... yes, Daisy.

Why? :confused: :mad: Did they think that was funny?

JimJamBonds
04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Unless the parents were messing with the reading public and the reporter, there was a photo in the newspaper a bit back of a little girl in the park in the spring or summer time. Her last name? Dukes. Her first name... yes, Daisy.

Why? :confused: :mad: Did they think that was funny?
The parents must have been/are big fans of The Dukes of Hazzard and/or Catherine Bach?!?!?!

El Chuxter
04-17-2011, 04:34 PM
You act like there's anyone who isn't.

JEDIpartner
04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
You act like there's anyone who isn't.

*raises hand*

morpheus282
04-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Apparently, Mike Hunt went missing earlier this month.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9400576/

Jedi_nav
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I went to high school with a girl named Rayne Forrest.

sonofsokol
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I've got a few...
I knew a girl in college named Kristen Seacrest, which doesn't sound too odd until you realize that the last half of her last name sounds like the first half of her first name, so you can loop it and say. "kristen, sea-kristen sea-kristen" and so on.

One of my friends played on our high school rugby team with a guy named Richard Knobbs. Amazingly, his family had a tradition of giving the mother's maiden name as the oldest male child's middle name which incidentally was Johnson. I would not have believed this if I hadn't seen his drivers license. Sadly, he went by "Chard".

There was a cheerleader a year ahead of me in high school named Brooke Bridge.

There was a history teacher at my Junior High named Mr. ***g. You can imagine the response from the immature junior high school kids. There were rumors circulating that he had a daughter named Gaylen. He lived 2 houses down from my great uncle and aunt who lived just few miles away from me and they verified the information.

Edit: the censored letters are F, A, and G.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Similar to morpheus282, the posters around campus for ASB elections had a fake candidate, who might be another Mike related to Mr. Hunt's male relative.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I wonder if any of the military people here have encountered a Major Paine, Major Minor, or a General Mills. I believe General Mills was defeated at Battle Creek.

Someone in college told me they knew of a Richard Wacker that went by Dick.

I wonder how many people out there have the names:

Paige Turner
Otto Carr
Candy Barr

bigbarada
04-19-2011, 07:47 PM
I wonder if any of the military people here have encountered a Major Paine, Major Minor, or a General Mills. I believe General Mills was defeated at Battle Creek.

Someone in college told me they knew of a Richard Wacker that went by Dick.

I wonder how many people out there have the names:

Paige Turner
Otto Carr
Candy Barr

In the Army every battalion has a sign out front listing the names of the Commanding Officer, Executive Officer, and Sergeant Major. I was in Ft. Gordon, GA, when I walked past a unit with the Executive Officer listed as "Major Woody."

I was also in Bosnia with a Sergeant Stains and we used to joke that it was a good thing he never joined the Navy, because then he would Seaman Stains.

In Germany, I once pulled KP with a Private Gay.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
In Germany, I once pulled KP with a Private Gay.For a time, the world's fastest man was Gay. Tyson Gay. I think there was a woman I knew whose first name was Gay. If former Raiders punter Ray Guy named his daughter that, she would be Gay Guy. Then he could name a son Guy Guy (the first Guy would rhyme with bee).

JimJamBonds
04-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Don't forget Private Parts, Corporal Punishment and Captain Crunch.

Blue2th
04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
My sister gave me a little Tabby kitten. Cutest little thing, but he likes to cry too much so I started calling him Whine-akin Crywalker.

JimJamBonds
04-22-2011, 08:39 PM
My sister gave me a little Tabby kitten. Cutest little thing, but he likes to cry too much so I started calling him Whine-akin Crywalker.Nice, I like that. :isobars: