PDA

View Full Version : Clone Cdmr. Cody is in!

jonthejedi
04-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Just received an email from Sideshow that Cdmr. Cody arrived in warehouse early, so I sent them off a reply to release order.

jedibear
04-21-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm expecting him next week...very enthusiastic pictures and comments to follow, based on in-hand images that are popping up on line...looks fantastic!

jonthejedi
04-23-2011, 06:06 PM
As always...looking forward to your pix, jedibear!

jedibear
04-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks! I'll take some over the weekend...pretty swamped with work right now...

He showed up today...man, he's just overwhelming! Really amazing figure. Detailing spot-on...just incredible. This is the one clone figure I've really been waiting for since Sideshow started producing them and what a stunner!
It'll be fun getting some shots of his one...

jonthejedi
04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Agreed...level of detail on the helmet alone is truly amazing. Sideshow(with some help from Hot Toys) knocked this one out of the park.

jedibear
04-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Finally had a chance to sit down an enjoy this figure...

The first of the Clone Commanders has arrived and he's an exceptional effort. Packed with the seemingly now standard collection of extra hands in various gestures (salutes, fists, pistol/weapon grip, pointing finger, relaxed grip & more), including one with a holo-projector affixed to it to hold a well-rendered translucent Darth Sidious. He also sports alternate feet ( a "running/action" pair), two pistols (although no holster for them) and the two blasters (one long barrel, one short) and a compact jet-pack that attaches to his back with a very effective magnet, similar to the one that the recently released Captain Rex has.

He also features two helmets...a Phase l version that looks like a hybrid of a "realistic" film version (never seen) and the stylized version featured in the "Clone Wars" series, as well as the more widely recognized Phase ll version he wears throughout "Revenge of the Sith". Both helmets have a lot of great detail from antennas and camera attachments to visors...all distressed perfectly to scale. He also has a regular head portrait that sports what might be called a "stylized" version of Temura Morrison as opposed to an exact replica of him. The sculpt does feature the facial scars and has a decent paint app, with clean hair lines. It lends itself well to creative lighting to achieve different expressions when displaying or photographing him.

The armor is the real star of this clone release, with many specialized pieces requiring extra detail and different attachments. The paint apps are particularly well-done, replicating the look from the film and adding different colors and textures to the "battle-worn" look that are really effective.

Sideshow seems to have finally worked out any bugs with the special Prometheus Armored body here, fine-tuning foot and hand pegs to be firm yet easy to switch out and it has tight joints and less of the floppy feel some earlier clone releases were plagued with. He also has a separate knit neck piece to help bridge the neck connection when the figure is sporting the fine portrait.

Sideshow really pulled out the stops with this one...this figure bodes well for the subsequent Clone Troopers and Commanders that may feature different types of armor or variants in their overall appearance. After seeing what a fine job they've done with Commander Cody, Clones like the Airborne Trooper, Commander(s) Bacara, Neyo, Gree and Thire seem like they now are within reach of Sideshow's capable creative team.

If you think you've been "Cloned Out" by Sideshow's many Clone Troopers, think again...and add this fantastic figure to your own battalion...you won't regret it!

Here's a few shots...hope you enjoy...

jonthejedi
05-01-2011, 05:25 AM
...couldn't have said it better. I would also add the Galactic Marine trooper to 12" I'd like Sideshow to eventually get to. Great pix as always jedibear. Mine is holding the Sidious holo-hand with the 212th trooper by his side. Can't wait for Bly.

jedibear
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, a Galactic Marine would be cool...and would be one step closer to ESB Snowtroopers as well!
Looking forward to Bly now, too....and I can't wait to see if Gree is next at SDCC.

Here's a shot of Cody and Rex...and another with a fellow clone from the 212th...

Jayspawn
05-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Still waiting for BBTS to get their Codys in.

Jayspawn
05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Still waiting for BBTS to get their Codys in.

Finally got my notice. About time!

jedibear
05-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Excellent, Jay...hope you like him as much as I do...he's a fantastic figure!

"Execute Order 66!"

Jayspawn
05-25-2011, 05:47 AM
My Cody arrived a few days ago -incredible figure! The load of accessories is a major plus. And all for around $120 -the way most figures should be if charging that much.

JediTricks
09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
So I just found out that Sideshow still has Cody available. I don't know why I didn't ask for that for my birthday last month, I guess I thought they were sold out. But now that I have an example of their Clone work, I'm not sure I want to invest so much more money into another, there are a couple little things that run through their sculpts which really bug me. The helmet around the nozzles is wrong on all of them, the DC-15S has several significant goofs, and the DC-15A just isn't that great-looking. Do I want nitpicked issues to hold it back? I dunno. But it's worth thinking about. I do know that I can't justify getting the Utapau Clone to go with it though, the undersuit mismatch is too much of an issue for me to overlook.

JB, any thoughts on Cody vs Bly?

jedibear
10-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Cody is definitely my favorite of the two...the only this he was missing in my book was a Kenobi saber hilt...that's how I have him displayed...he's one of my favorite figures in the collection.

JediTricks
11-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks. I thought the figure did come with that saber hilt, I wonder why I thought that. I also wonder why they didn't, seems like an easy enough thing, they have it already tooled up.

I ended up putting Cody on my xmas list, my mom wisely asked if she should wait until closer to the holiday so that if there's a standard Sideshow goof, I can get it replaced.

JediTricks
12-30-2011, 04:57 PM
I received Cody for xmas, and sure enough he's made the list of Sideshow defects, with his phase 1 helmet's visor glued off-center (his phase 2 visor is also glued off-center, but it's not bad enough for me to ask for a replacement). This kills my 1 in 4 fail rate, taking it to 1 in 3.57, a really bad QC ratio unfortunately. I've contacted Sideshow via web since their phone was going to voicemail and I didn't order it.

Who have I had notable troubles with?

- Cody
- Bly
- Vader
- Hot Toys Iron Man
- Luke Bespin (twice)
- Maul
- Aragorn

Out of...

Luke ROTJ
Luke Bespin
Luke ANH
Han ANH
Han Bespin
Leia ANH
Leia Boushh
Vader ANH
Stormtrooper
Maul
Obi-Wan ROTS
Obi-Wan ANH
Qui-Gon
Ventress
Palpatine ROTS 2-pack
Anakin ROTS SDCC-exclusive
Lando
Bly
Cody
Indiana Jones
Hot Toys Iron Man Battle Damaged
LOTR Aragorn
Gandalf
Frodo
Legolas

Now, as to Cody himself, what's my take? I still like Bly better, that paint job and the extra costume touches really make it a special figure. But Cody is good too, just not quite as tight IMO. The chest rank badge feels a bit chintzy, the paint isn't quite as intricate and overall solid, and the armor doesn't fit quite nicely, bunching up on the torso and crotch in an odd way - I see the upper torso armor "floating" on others' pics of theirs, so it seems to be an across-the-board problem. Also, Cody's portrait head is ok but not as good as Bly's.

That said, Cody is a great figure, although if you are prone to breaking little things, you may want to think twice as he's got so many tiny thin parts attached to his armor - his left shoulderpad antenna array, the antenna on his phase 1 helmet, the multiple bits on his phase 2 helmet, the little tool thing on his right bicep armor, and more! I don't feel even remotely confident in these crotch stands either, the figure has already tipped forward on his own when his feet have slipped out of position on mine, so I have had to adjust the pose to compensate which is quite disappointing.

I hadn't noticed on Bly, but the "bent foot" design is fairly different from the "straight foot" one, with the straight foot shoe being very long ahead of the 2 rectangles at the midfoot and the bent foot shoe being pretty short there (I prefer the shorter look). I'm using the bent foot for a "just landing" pose, but the stand's inability to keep the figure upright forces me to sell the look short (I'll snap a shot to show you what I mean, it was a much better pose until the center-of-gravity issue reared its ugly head). Cody has a few unique armor pieces, the right bicep, the shoulderpads, and both helmets - the phase 2 helmet is "some assembly required" for the thinnest parts on either side, and I honestly didn't remember that much... junk on his helmet. :p It is accurate, but didn't stand out.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/imag0346alt.jpg/
(I wanted a pose that showed off his jetpack in some way.)

The phase 2 helmet really deserves its own comments, as it's not the standard phase 2 helmet they have been using. First off, the chin nozzles are a different shape from other clones, and unlike the regular Sideshow helmet, the openings for those nozzles are sculpted CORRECTLY with the tops straightened off as they meet the "mouth". The "crown" on top is a separate piece for some reason, despite the visor's anchor points making this an unrecycleable design I think. The visor itself stands out even while it's being flanked by 3 other attention-seeking techno-gadgets; the visor is good but there's a very slight roundness to the opening's lines which don't quite jive to my eye but really are hard to quantify too. The unique sculpt and paint below the mouth are solid work and add to Cody's unique, aggressive design. The phase 1 helmet is what's attached to the figure in the package for some reason, it's based on the Clone Wars tv show design but on the movie helmet, so it's a little odd, but it makes a good case for itself - that said, it's going to live in the box most of the time because of how much more iconic to the character the phase 2 helmet is.

While there are a lot of accessories including the hand holding the Emperor's hologram, it's the removable jetpack which stands out for me, being simple yet cool. The jetpack has been a signature gimmick for this character and just a cool idea in general, not to mention an homage to the character's namesake - Commando Cody of the serials wore a rocket pack. This figure's jetpack is well-sculpted and attaches to the armor magnetically, it's a strong magnet and pulls it centered with a little help from the smaller panel sculpted into the armor's back.

The paint on Cody has the right shade of orange to be movie-accurate, and is covered in scratches and scrapes. He's also got an all-over weathering look which builds up around seams and edges, but it's quality isn't quite as impressive as I was hoping simply by virtue of scaling, the figure doesn't look dirty until you're up close, its white is a little brighter and shinier, and the weathering thins abruptly at the sides of the torso. It's certainly not a cheap Hasbro blank-white look, but I think the contrast of the subtler overall weathering against the numerous black scrapes on the white bits, and white scratches of the orange parts, that's where the issue doesn't get all the traction it could. Also, and this is something I might be being unfair about, but the chest armor gashes are only paint, not sculpting, and as such they just can't convey the entire character of that look on their own.

Overall, Cody is a pretty good figure, satisfying and quite accurate. There are a lot of little touches in the paint and in the sculpt which convey the character of the figure and give it a unique personality. I do worry that its many thin parts will eventually break, but until that sad day comes to pass (which is hopefully never), I'll enjoy the figure quite a bit.

jedibear
12-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Glad you finally got Cody, JT.
Enjoyed your in-depth comments there, but I guess I don't have the issues you seem to with him. Like I mentioned in a post above, he's one of my favorite figures!

Tycho
01-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't recollect having trouble with any of my SideShow figures.

It's true I haven't opened all of them.

I like lists.

I used JediTricks list to note which characters I have (from his list) and what I have or have-not opened thus far:

[QUOTE=JediTricks;756106]

- Cody [Tycho has never opened, but will soon]
- Bly
- Vader (I ordered mine as a gift for BobaFrett, he turned out great)
- Hot Toys Iron Man [never ordered. Tycho's friend Justin owns several Iron Man figures and they're very nice.]
- Luke Bespin (twice) [Never ordered - Tycho has the Hasbro versions with and without Yoda - they'll do.]
- Maul [Never ordered. Tycho has 3 and a fourth with the 12" Sith Speeder. Don't need any Maul.]
- Aragorn [Never - Tycho's not a Lord of the Rings collector, but he does talk about himself in the 3rd person.]

Out of...

Luke ROTJ [Tycho never ordered him. He has 4 Hasbro ROTJ Lukes, plus the Endor Poncho one.]
Luke ANH [never ordered]
Han ANH [Never ordered]
Han Bespin [I have Han and his holster thigh strap broke and I repaired it with glue. His face sculpt isn't quite Harrison either/]
Leia ANH [Never Ordered]
Leia Boushh [Never ordered]
Stormtrooper [Tycho ordered him as a present for BobaFrett and he looked to be great. Frett's had no complaints.]
Obi-Wan ROTS [still, probably Tycho's favorite SideShow figure - and his first (2) actually]
Obi-Wan ANH [Did not order.]
Qui-Gon [Did not order]
Ventress [Didn't order and do not like! (The sculpt)]
Palpatine ROTS 2-pack [Have and find alright. Disappointed in the lack of the detail on the Chancellor's outfit.]
Anakin ROTS SDCC-exclusive [Do not have but do own 3 of the regular version. No complaints. Actually, I might have Sith eyes...]
Lando [Never ordered]
Bly [No complaints]
Cody [Have but have never opened. Looks good though.]
Indiana Jones [Never ordered and seriously jealous of JediTricks. However, I didn't order him because I don't have the room].
Gandalf [Did not order]
Frodo [Did not order, but would consider it if SideShow makes a 12" Wilfred the Dog figure to go with Frodo.]
Legolas [Did not order and don't even know who this is.]

Meanwhile, I also orderd:

Commander Gree
Momaw Nadon
Bib Fortuna (got as a gift)
Jabba the Hutt (x 2)
Jabba's throne
Bubo
Salacious
Aayla Secura
Utopau Clone Trooper
501st Clone x 2
Shocktrooper Clone
Battle Droids (have not received yet)
Commander Bacara (have not received yet)
Kit Fisto (great figure!)
Admiral Piett
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Endor Rebel Scout
Endor Rebel Infantry
Endor Rebel Sergeant
Yoda

Wow -that's already a lot. I didn't even realize it. I have probably 4 times that many Hasbro 12" figures (with much on display here) that I never stopped to consider it.

I guess I'm a real 1/6 scale Star Wars fan.

JediTricks
01-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Glad you finally got Cody, JT.
Enjoyed your in-depth comments there, but I guess I don't have the issues you seem to with him. Like I mentioned in a post above, he's one of my favorite figures!Thanks.

I think I can see the chest armor issue, where it's floating a bit above the shoulders, is that not the case? That and the rank badge and chest gouges are the only real "issues" I think I called out on him.

Cody is very good, no question. I think Bly is better as a figure, though not as a representation of the movie colors. :p

I don't recollect having trouble with any of my SideShow figures.

It's true I haven't opened all of them.

I like lists.

I used JediTricks list to note which characters I have (from his list) and what I have or have-not opened thus far:

[QUOTE=JediTricks;756106]

- Cody [Tycho has never opened, but will soon]
- Bly
- Vader (I ordered mine as a gift for BobaFrett, he turned out great)
- Hot Toys Iron Man [never ordered. Tycho's friend Justin owns several Iron Man figures and they're very nice.]
- Luke Bespin (twice) [Never ordered - Tycho has the Hasbro versions with and without Yoda - they'll do.]
- Maul [Never ordered. Tycho has 3 and a fourth with the 12" Sith Speeder. Don't need any Maul.]
- Aragorn [Never - Tycho's not a Lord of the Rings collector, but he does talk about himself in the 3rd person.]

Out of...

Luke ROTJ [Tycho never ordered him. He has 4 Hasbro ROTJ Lukes, plus the Endor Poncho one.]
Luke ANH [never ordered]
Han ANH [Never ordered]
Han Bespin [I have Han and his holster thigh strap broke and I repaired it with glue. His face sculpt isn't quite Harrison either/]
Leia ANH [Never Ordered]
Leia Boushh [Never ordered]
Stormtrooper [Tycho ordered him as a present for BobaFrett and he looked to be great. Frett's had no complaints.]
Obi-Wan ROTS [still, probably Tycho's favorite SideShow figure - and his first (2) actually]
Obi-Wan ANH [Did not order.]
Qui-Gon [Did not order]
Ventress [Didn't order and do not like! (The sculpt)]
Palpatine ROTS 2-pack [Have and find alright. Disappointed in the lack of the detail on the Chancellor's outfit.]
Anakin ROTS SDCC-exclusive [Do not have but do own 3 of the regular version. No complaints. Actually, I might have Sith eyes...]
Lando [Never ordered]
Bly [No complaints]
Cody [Have but have never opened. Looks good though.]
Indiana Jones [Never ordered and seriously jealous of JediTricks. However, I didn't order him because I don't have the room].
Gandalf [Did not order]
Frodo [Did not order, but would consider it if SideShow makes a 12" Wilfred the Dog figure to go with Frodo.]
Legolas [Did not order and don't even know who this is.]

Meanwhile, I also orderd:

Commander Gree
Momaw Nadon
Bib Fortuna (got as a gift)
Jabba the Hutt (x 2)
Jabba's throne
Bubo
Salacious
Aayla Secura
Utopau Clone Trooper
501st Clone x 2
Shocktrooper Clone
Battle Droids (have not received yet)
Commander Bacara (have not received yet)
Kit Fisto (great figure!)
Admiral Piett
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Endor Rebel Scout
Endor Rebel Infantry
Endor Rebel Sergeant
Yoda

Wow -that's already a lot. I didn't even realize it. I have probably 4 times that many Hasbro 12" figures (with much on display here) that I never stopped to consider it.

I guess I'm a real 1/6 scale Star Wars fan.That is quite a post, not sure why you copy/pasted mine when you have so few of them though. And how many of those figures have you opened and studied, btw?

Frodo wouldn't be in scale, as it's a Hobbit figure and only 8" tall.

Legolas is from Lord of the Rings, he's the Elf archer who ends up buddies with the Dwarf, Gimli. He's in all 3 movies, girls were all atwitter after seeing Orlando Bloom in the role and then in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I am quite surprised you bothered to get Sideshow's Yoda when you have Hasbro's.

JediTricks
01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
In case you're wondering what I was talking about with my Cody's visor, here's the image I sent Sideshow:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/visoroffangle.jpg/

Seeing the close-up of the paint was really interesting, I didn't realize it was halftone screening, using various sized dots to make up a tone and shape, a more intricate process than mere masking. I'll post an uncropped full-size to give you a better view of this, it does a very good job fooling the human eye: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8343/1001232vf.jpg

JediTricks
01-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Something weird I noticed just now, both Cody and Bly have their right thigh armor fighting to sag down the leg more than the left thigh armor. I believe inside each leg armor is a pair of small foam pads to keep them in place, but why the right one should fight more than the left, I couldn't imagine. Is it a design issue, more of my luck of the draw, or a specific assembly issue?

JB, you have a BUNCH of these clones, have you noticed this on any/all of them?

Tycho
01-13-2012, 06:50 AM
JT, this is the same with Cmdr Gree. I don't notice it on my Bly though. But perhaps it is the pose I have Bly in???

JediTricks
01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
That's weird! Thanks for the confirmation. The right thigh armor on my Bly has actually gotten WORSE, I just noticed. I had it pressed up against the stand when I last set it up,a nd now it's down at the knee. What is the deal?

JediTricks
01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
For the first time ever, Sideshow has viewed the photo and is telling me they won't replace the part, they're claiming that it is not defective:

"Please know the visor will be slightly off center on every figure. These items are hand assembled and, as such, will feature minor imperfections."

Wow. I've had incorrectly-assembled blasters, lightsabers, holsters, straps, helmets, all manner of issues just like this which they've fixed in the past, but apparently the message here is that I am expecting too much for $125 collector-oriented figures. I think that's bad policy, they've doubled their prices in the last few years and now are lowering the bar on quality.

To be fair, they are offering me a full refund, but even there they are calling it a "one-time courtesy". I have NEVER returned an item for a refund with Sideshow, no matter how disappointing (Han Bespin!) or overpriced (Lando!), but I've always ordered from them because their policy has always been to stand by the product for their customer no matter what, their policy reading "We guarantee that every item we sell directly will give you complete satisfaction or you may return it for a replacement or for a refund of the purchase price* (US$), within 30 days of receipt of the item." (The caveat in that policy is only in regards to the refunding of shipping costs dependent upon the reason for return.) So I am finding the whole situation frustrating and disheartening, like the company that I've supported as a collector and reporter is slipping away.

That said, I am going to keep the figure. Had this been the ROTS helmet, it would not have stood (there is a slight variance on that visor which I found to be within tolerance), but as I only planned on using this phase 1 helmet for limited display and future trade potential, I'll eat the defect -- maybe I'll include in the trade a printout of the email saying it's not outside their tolerances, that'll help it sell or trade, right? :p But this will affect my future ordering, starting with Boba Fett I am thinking of asking them to hold my order an extra week until I see how others are getting along with theirs, I'm sick of being the guinea pig for Sideshow 12" simply because I live nearby and pay promptly.

jedibear
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
JB, you have a BUNCH of these clones, have you noticed this on any/all of them?

I just checked my clone ranks and they all look fine - all armor where I positioned it. All thigh pieces in place.
Part of what I do when I get a clone is pop off the feet and hands, remove the leg and arm armor and check the bend-points on the limbs (knees and elbows as well as mid-point thighs and arms) Then I pull the body suit so that it's not bunched up anywhere and replace the armor. Re-attach the feet and hands, then commence with some poses....don't know if that's helpful, but I haven't had any problem with slippage.

For the first time ever, Sideshow has viewed the photo and is telling me they won't replace the part, they're claiming that it is not defective.....

Wow, JT...I am shocked and saddened to hear this. I've had nothing but positive experiences dealing with their CS. I recently had to deal with CS regarding the HT Captain America...I had a major problem with how the outfit was assembled onto the figure...Sideshow exchanged the figure for me after seeing pictures of the issue, no questions asked. I've had issues over the years too, everything from bad paint apps, broken holsters, crushed boxes, missing accessories...and Sideshow's always taken care of it with promptness and courtesy.

You put your thoughts on the issue quite clearly and without rancor...I'd take your whole post and copy it into an email to Sideshow just be sure they get this feedback. If you choose to do that, please let me know what the response is...

JediTricks
01-21-2012, 06:58 PM
I just checked my clone ranks and they all look fine - all armor where I positioned it. All thigh pieces in place.
Part of what I do when I get a clone is pop off the feet and hands, remove the leg and arm armor and check the bend-points on the limbs (knees and elbows as well as mid-point thighs and arms) Then I pull the body suit so that it's not bunched up anywhere and replace the armor. Re-attach the feet and hands, then commence with some poses....don't know if that's helpful, but I haven't had any problem with slippage.Ah, that probably is it then. Have you ever had any trouble with the sponge padding come off or snag while reapplying the armor? That'd be my worry for not doing this more often.

Have you had any problems at bend-points, beyond bunched-up body suits? I haven't had any real problems on the armored body so far.

Wow, JT...I am shocked and saddened to hear this. I've had nothing but positive experiences dealing with their CS. I recently had to deal with CS regarding the HT Captain America...I had a major problem with how the outfit was assembled onto the figure...Sideshow exchanged the figure for me after seeing pictures of the issue, no questions asked. I've had issues over the years too, everything from bad paint apps, broken holsters, crushed boxes, missing accessories...and Sideshow's always taken care of it with promptness and courtesy.

You put your thoughts on the issue quite clearly and without rancor...I'd take your whole post and copy it into an email to Sideshow just be sure they get this feedback. If you choose to do that, please let me know what the response is...First off, thank you for the comments about my post, I am glad to hear that came through, I did want it not to be a normal internet rant like I'd normally put up.

I did send them a much briefer note in response (they asked for a reply to determine what I was planning to do, otherwise I might not have), but I hadn't considered sending to them that whole thing. You might be right, with only a very small tweak it may be an effective statement to them. I will think about that.