PDA

View Full Version : Would you be interested in a SSG iPhone/Android App?

SirSteve
04-19-2011, 10:41 PM
We want to know if you would be interested in a dedicated SSG iPhone/Android App. The app would give you access to the site news and forums.

sith_killer_99
04-15-2012, 11:45 PM
As an Apple iOS 5 addict, I would be down for an app. I would be willing to drop a couple bucks, especially if they made a iPad app optimized for the new iPad retina display!!!

One step at a time I suppose. lol

JediTricks
04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Now that I've had a year with my Android phone, I can see where an app would be useful. While the latest mobile skin for the site works much better than the last one, that's still a lot of HTML framework that has to be loaded over a flaky mobile connection. That said, I pay for nearly no apps despite knowing first-hand how much worktime goes into developing something like that, on my ipod touch I have only a few very inexpensive paid apps and my Android phone even less (my new Android tablet none), there's something about apps that makes me even cheaper than I usually am - maybe it's the tiny screen? :p And the only revenue-generating ads I ever click on in apps is by accident, which isn't worth anything. In any case, I can see a benefit to making an app, but since I'd only use it off wifi and 4g, it's not something I'd prioritize so I probably wouldn't pay for one - the classic developer's catch-22 dilemma.

As for ipad-friendly layouts embedded in a device, I think the Apple API now has that as a big focus, but for Android it's much more of the wild west right now - I can think of less than a handful at the most of apps that are identical files on my phone and tablet yet work differently depending on the layout (Quisr Pro is one of them, relatively simple addition of a left pane for tablets yet it works so well). The good thing is that you don't have to dump any cash into virtual devices for Android though, just download the APK and SVD system then create your own virtual devices on the fly - any display size, any RAM size, any CPU layout running any stock build of Android (some non-stock builds are available free without registration as well, but not all) and you can have a testbed in moments.