PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's Next-Gen Console at E3

Lord Malakite
04-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Its been confirmed. Nintendo's "as of yet" unnamed successor to the Wii will be at E3 in playable form. According to the various reports, it is currently rumored that the console has the ability to output games in high-definition 1080p and runs on a three-core IBM PowerPC with a GPU by ATI. It is also rumored to have a controller with a built-in personal screen. The console was also announced to have an expected release in 2012. E3 starts June 7th.

Lord Malakite
06-07-2011, 05:13 PM
The new system is called the Wii U.

Processors:

IBM Power-based multi-core 45 nm microprocessor

Storage:

Internal flash memory expandable via SD memory card slot and USB slots (4) using a USB hard disk drive
Slot-loading disc drive compatible with 12-cm "proprietary high-density optical discs" and 12-cm Wii optical discs

Controller:

Built-in accelerometer, speakers, front-facing camera, microphone and a 6.2 inch touchpad
Two Circle Pads and one Digital Pad
Select, Start, Home and Power Buttons
A/B/X/Y front buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons

Video:

1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i output
Compatible with HDMI, component, S-video and composite cables

Audio:

AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

preacher
06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Big N went in the direction I thought they would. A marriage between the ds stylus gaming and the motion control. A pleasant surprise is the streaming capability. I've read the gripes about how bulky the controller is. It's just a bit bigger than an iPad. I've had an iPad for about four months and at first I was really concerned I would find much use for it, but hokey smokes the more I use it the more I find all kinds of uses. I forgot about the iPad's size to be honest. If nintendo supports third party apps they could really have a great thing here. I think the name is very clever. I totally get it. "we". For when you the friends over for party gaming, and "you" for those moments when wifey is watching cupcake wars and you would rather get your game on. My concern is one rumor I've seen that says only one u pad can be synced to the console. That sucks if that really is the case. Also the timing of this new console will very likely break nintendo's financial back. The world economy is screwed and 1/10 people cannot find work.

Lord Malakite
06-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Big N went in the direction I thought they would. A marriage between the ds stylus gaming and the motion control.
Yeah, they have been toying around with this kind of handheld/home console merger idea since the GameCube/Game Boy Advance and continued it on partially to some degree with the Wii/DS. So this doesn't surprise me much either. In fact, Chase Mii (one of the Wii U games they've been showing off at E3) reminds me a lot of Pac-Man Vs. for the GameCube.

My concern is one rumor I've seen that says only one u pad can be synced to the console. That sucks if that really is the case. Also the timing of this new console will very likely break nintendo's financial back. The world economy is screwed and 1/10 people cannot find work.
Outside of the that controller rumor and the economy I do see a few concerns of my own. First off I have seen no mention of backwards support for GameCube games or accessories. Its not a back breaker, but it does affect the console in two ways. First, unless they plan on adding GameCube games to the Virtual Console, its unfortunate to lose that added game library considering the original Wii could support it. Second, there are a few Wii games (like Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example) which would be slightly hindered being played on the Wii U since they can utilize a standard and/or Wavebird GameCube controllers in the place of the Wii remote/nunchuk/classic controllers. The second concern I see is some potential serious competition from Sony's newly announced handheld, the PS Vita, which is expected out later this year (well before the Wii U). From what I've seen from a statistical standpoint the PS Vita can do virtually everything that the new Wii U controller can do (and then some). Add to that the PS Vita's wireless connectivity with the Playstation 3 and Sony can easily beat Nintendo's Wii U to the punch (so to speak).