PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Capes

roberr22
05-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Quick question: Do all vintage vinyl capes make the "zipper" sound when scratched with a fingernail? I just came across a fantastic, loose Obi Wan. He has tight limbs and almost no wear and he looks as if he just came off the card. He is the white-haired, early edition and his lightsaber, with tip, has a letter on the hilt. The cape is the only thing I find odd. It fits perfectly and it looks exactly the same as my vintage Obi Wan's cape. The only difference is that it does not make the "zipper" sound when scratched on either side. Any thoughts? Thanks!

LusiferSam
05-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Every vinyl cape I have that I believe to be legitimate makes the zipper sound. I'm not sure that really answers question, but it's a start. I assume when you said the cape 'fits perfectly' that mean that it is well formed the the body of the figure. Also, how are the arm holes?

roberr22
05-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Yes, the cape is well formed and the armoles are tight. I've encountered quite a few repro capes throughout my collecting, and none of them have come close to this one in vintage appearance.

roberr22
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
The following is the response I received from the seller and it seems plausible, which throws into question what I've believed about vintage capes up to this point. Any thoughts?

"...from the research that I have done over quite a few years of buying and selling , not all vintage capes have the texture on one side . The texture does normally indicate that a cape is most likely an original variant but the absense of the texture does not mean it is a repro . It mainly depends on what factory the figures were made in - factories were located all over the world and all factories did not use the exact same materials . This is why you will see so many coo , paint color and sculpt variants for all the figures - it also explains why all capes (and other weapons/accessories) are not exactly the same. For instance - Lili Ledy (made in Mexico) figures capes do not have the texture and the material feels alot different - it is actually how you can identify if a ledy figure has the proper cape . Another good example is the made in taiwan versions of vader and leia - the capes look and feel much different - they are much softer and more flexible. Taiwan leias capes even look alot more "translucent" than a standard cape does. So ,it really depends on what factory a cape was made in and even the period it was released . The material used did not always remain the same over the 8 years that the figures were produced - a Star Wars released bens cape could have been made out of a different material than a Empire or jedi released cape. Anyway, the point is , that materials varied."

LusiferSam
05-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm traveling, so this has to be quick. Everything the seller is right. The question is, is it right for this figure? And that's a longer answer and something I need to think about. In the meantime could you post some photos?

roberr22
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM

Attached are some pics of the Obi Wan in question. In the two close-up pics, some space can be seen between the cape and the arms. Could this be a repro indicator?

LusiferSam
05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
To the best of my ability to tell I think it's real. The cape looks well formed to the body. The area of the hood on the back is well defined and fold looks nice and old. There looks like their might have been a touch of stretching where the cape may have been removed once or twice. The arm holes look good. Some Obi-Wan cape were packed riding down the arms move than others. And every Obi-Wan cape I've seen (on the figure) has that gap in that location.

Again what the seller said is totally true, there's ton of minor variations. I have one Ben with very heavy texturing and clear zipper sound and my child Ben has very, very texturing and basically no zipper sound. In the right light I can see texture on this cape, yours maybe the same.

Less you can find something clearly off (like the lightsaber) I think you have a very piece and should be happy with it. Again to the best of my ability.

roberr22
05-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Excellent! Thanks!