PDA

View Full Version : Will you be going to the Star Wars Celebration II?

SirSteve
03-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Will you be going to the Star Wars Celebration II?

Let's talk about it here!

JediTricks
03-04-2002, 08:04 PM
I wish I could say "still unsure", but between not being able to afford it, the city being not interesting to me, the previous one being such a debacle, and this one being run by Hasbro (I mean, if it had been FANtastic media again, I would think they MIGHT have been able to learn from their previous mistakes, but this is now being handled by a totally new organization who has no previous experience with something like this), I'm definitely in the "no show" category.

SirSteve
03-04-2002, 08:23 PM
I'll be there... covering the show and taking a lot of Star Wars in!:D

Lord Malakite
03-04-2002, 09:54 PM
I wish I could go. I want a Celebration II Figure. Maybe you'll give me one for free SirSteve. :D :rolleyes:

Turbowars
03-04-2002, 11:04 PM
I wanted to go and planned to go, but money seems to be an issue. I don't get paid for time off work, so I'm S.O.L.

Flipper1962
03-04-2002, 11:49 PM
I'll be leaving from here in North Dakota on May 1st. We all went to the E1 Celebration in Denver. Boy, what a mud pit! Rained the who time we were there. But, we had a blast! Anyway, picking up my bro Rick and our cousin at the Indianapolis airport the next day. We're going for the Friday and Saturday openings. Received my passes with Fan Club lanyard about 2 weeks ago. Get to go into the store and other venues 1 hour early than non-Fan Club members. Hopefully going to get as many of the E2 Celebration exclusive figures as I'm able to. Also, will be trying to get as many autographs as possible in those 2 days as well. So, for those of you out there who are going, maybe we'll see you there. For those not going, start saving up for Celebration 3.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-04-2002, 11:49 PM
I'd go just to see what it's like, but I'm suspicious that it's going to be a zoo. I can just see hundreds (or thousands) of thirty-fourtysomethings pushing through a crowd just to get a glimpse of the guy who was the puppeteer for Jabba's tonque in ROTJ or the cleaning woman who unclogged the toilet in Natalie Portman's trailer when they were shooting in Spain.:o

There's no way I'd fork out the bucks for the planefare, the hotel, and the tix. Maybe if SSG wants to pony up I'll go as a guest correspondent...:crazed:

tk006
03-05-2002, 12:40 AM
I'll be there in Stormtrooper armor with the 501st and you may just see me checking badges at the door as the 501st has worked a deal with Wizards of the Coast and Lucasfilms to do volunteer work at the show! Granted there will be a load of troopers at the show, but if you run into any that answer to the name Caysey (me), don't be shy! See you there, it should be a blast!

Tycho
03-05-2002, 12:53 AM
I've gone from being unable to afford it, to being offered almost a promotion in my field (though it's actually a different job in the same department). My guess is that I better stay and put in to this new job I wanted so badly. The catch-22 being, now I may have the money, but not the time.:cry:

If life allows it, I have the desire, so I will show up there. It will be a last minute thing for me though, so I'll be staying in some hotel, the next town over.

OC47150
03-05-2002, 08:38 AM
'Dagobah' is a better name for those of us who survived Denver.

Just counting down the days!

Wolfwood319
03-05-2002, 09:59 AM
No, with the price being more than doubled last time, I don't think its worth it. I have no interest in seeing, as Mandalorian Canidat said; "The puppeteer for Jabba's Tongue." I'm sure that interests a lot of fans, but not me.

I'm not a sci-fi con type of guy. Me, I prefer Anime conventions, which is exactly where I'll be in May.

I don't need another Luke X-Wing figure either. No matter what packaging or trinket it comes with.

DahrJin
03-05-2002, 10:18 AM
Sure wish I could say I was going but I am not. Money seems to be an issue right now. My wife says it's either get the AOTC toys I want, or go to celebration II. I don't want to go alone and I'd much rather get the toys.:D

I too would like the celebration figure, so if anyone would like to pick up an extra............:D

LusiferSam
03-05-2002, 02:20 PM
It was only by strange coincident I that I was able to the first one. The time of year tends to by bad for me. So no I can't make it, but that ok as long the gang here does it great coverage.

plo koon 200
03-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Luckily, I live in Indiana. I hope to get as many Celelbration II figures as possible. The pople who are running it are very good. I know half of them. They were employees of Wizards before Hasbro bought them. They are the smae people who run Gen Con and all major tournaments in Indianapolis so this should be a very nice event. Cost is a little problem but since I live here I do not have to worry about plan tickets or gas to much.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Are you $h***n' me? Of course I'm going.

Banthafodder
03-05-2002, 08:56 PM
:crazed: I must be nuts to go through this again! I thought I would learn from this first mistake(known to most as CelebrationI)
However...There is a strange disturbance in the force telling me that I have to go again to this one.The thought of the exclusive figure is tempting,but hopefully not the only thing that is going to be there for the fans this time!
If any of the promoters reads this....Please do the fans right this time.

Dar' Argol
03-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by DahrJin
Sure wish I could say I was going but I am not. Money seems to be an issue right now. My wife says it's either get the AOTC toys I want, or go to celebration II. I don't want to go alone and I'd much rather get the toys.:D

I too would like the celebration figure, so if anyone would like to pick up an extra............:D

I can relate DahrJin!! I'm just happen to have some extra $ comming my way on April 11th so I will be able to get some AOTC figs. Without it I was SOL! I sure wish I was going to be there though!!!:cry: Sirsteve, bring a little of that magic back for the rest of us, k?

jonthejedi
03-06-2002, 07:02 AM
I'll be going...with my wife and 5-year old...even though Denver(Dagobah) almost ruined my marriage(the rain, the rain, the rain!) What I'm having a problem with are the additional expenses that seem to be cropping up...the additional fee for the concert, now the additional fee for autographs...where is my $75 going...and should I start refinancing my house???!!!
jON THE jedi(married with padawan)

master jedi
03-06-2002, 09:30 PM
I say if it costs us $75 I think they should include a free autograph of your choice and/or free admission to the concert.

icatch9
03-07-2002, 10:59 AM
I'll be there. I hope to see a whole bunch of cool stuff. Hey Sir Steve are you going to be there incognito? Or Are we going to get to meet you with the rest of the stars? :D

OC47150
03-07-2002, 11:16 AM
What's this about a fee for autographs, JontheJedi? This the first I've heard of it.

Tycho
03-07-2002, 04:23 PM
If you've never been to a Convention, there are a lot of different ways autographs are offered.

First, a convention might have certain rules, like all autographs are free - and they pay the actor for their time or whatever.

Other things are possible:

You can have anything signed for free.

You can have only 1 thing signed per person (for free)

You have to have only a certain kind of thing signed, like a Decipher product for example.

You have to buy an official picture of the actor to have them sign it - such as a $10.00 photo showing Darth Vader that Dave Prowse then signs. It's how he makes his money, and he must be licensed by Lucasfilm and pay the convention an overhead for having a table.

Autographs go to charity - you have to pay $15 per autograph and the money goes to a cause like Cancer Research, the September 11 Fund, or the American Heart Association. I belive it is then tax deductable. You might not get a receipt though.

And some stars charge like Billy Dee Williams, $20 per autograph, anything you want signed (i.e. Lando figures, or he'll sell you Lando pictures on top of the autograph cost - or inclusive in it - that varies). This method is typical of the bigger stars like Williams, maybe Carrie Fisher, etc.

Anything is possible, or combinations of the above. Some actors do not sign at all - like I wouldn't expect Mark Hamill to (if he even attends).

Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) is probably the single nicest Star Wars star ever cast - and he'll talk to you and has always been real approachable. I regret I do not know his autograph policy, but he does not charge (if he signs). To me, (and I don't collect autographs), it was much more fascinating to get to take the time to really talk to him about the sets, the Millennium Falcon (a favorite topic of mine) etc., than to ever ask about an autograph. But you can also ask Mr. Daniels about his fellow co-stars and he'll know pretty much everything that's going on in and about the whole show, as he helps put it on. In Denver, Mr. Daniels was one of the few really competant people putting it on!

OC47150
03-07-2002, 04:34 PM
I didn't mean to sound dumb or naive about my last post but I do know some actors charge fees for autographs. I meant that in the sense, like someone else noted, that it would be an additional charge like to see the orchestra or some other special event in the works.

Tycho
03-07-2002, 04:59 PM
Oh, you didn't sound bad at all. I thought my post might help, either you or others who won't know what to expect at a convention, that's all. A lot of people couldn't afford to go to Denver or Comic Con. I'm still not sure I can do Indianapolis. So this is more only a matter of experience. -Tycho

OC47150
03-07-2002, 05:11 PM
I appreciate that. But I thought this "autograph charge" was one more way for the Fan Club to milk/bilk/steal some more of our hard earned money. The concert sounds fun and I might go to it.

I did go to Denver and the one regret I have was not going to the Jar Jar Jam!

jonthejedi
03-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Just F.Y.I....that bit about the fee for autographs came from no les than starwars.com. Evidently, they're doing coupon books or some such thing...one coupon = one autograph, etc. I just had to chime in also about how classy and super-nice Anthony Daniels is. The customer rep in our hotel did some loud screaming about the conditions at Celebration I in Denver. They moved my son & wife into the KFC tent, which was heated. They were genuinely worried & concerned about alot of the toddlers & babies getting pneumonia or worse. I repeatedly saw Mr. Daniels working up and down the crowd trying to diffuse a hostile mood. Later, I ran into him on his way to MC an event. He took about 5 minutes to talk to me(I didn't trouble him for an autograph), and he was extremely gratious with is time. He tried to make the most out of a bad situation. Hope they do have alot of EP 2 actots. Most would have to come from Down Under, though.

OC47150
03-08-2002, 08:34 AM
Regarding the autographs, I envisioned like a $25 fee/cover charge to get into a room where the celebrities are sitting. I won't mind paying an individual $10 for a autograph (and I have in the past), but c'mon, there has to be a couple of extra perks for the fan club pass!

RedneckJedi
03-08-2002, 01:03 PM
The whole bit about Fan Club members getting early access to stores and autographs doesn't sound terribly special to me. 75% of everyone that will be there will have Fan Club memberships. So, if, say 2,000 people go, 1,500 will be in line "one hour early".

Where's the advantage of that?

But, I'll be there in line with everyone else Friday and Saturday...

Yippee, ki-yay!

OC47150
03-08-2002, 01:21 PM
The fan club's just trying to make us feel 'special.'

jedihunter25
03-08-2002, 07:23 PM
What is the spacial fan club lanyard for? It sounds to me like there is nothing special about it anyway. When I first bought my two passes from the fan club the day they were availible, they said that they can only send one lanyard even though I purchased two passes. And as far as paying for autographs, concerts, and what ever else and everything else- it's Star Wars so I was expecting it anyway even though I think they should consider that people are paying $75 a pass,hotel,and airfair. So far I've saved up about $2,000 for the convention,(thanks to my income tax check) and with them charging for every little thing, I think it's still not enough or at least I'll be coming home broke. I can't wait till it's done and over with.

rogue_12
03-09-2002, 12:52 AM
i will be at the celebration! i am from indy so it is gonna be the shizzo!!! any one who wants to trade at the show just drop a line(rogue_12@prodigy.net). exclusive figures ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Yoda'sMaster
03-09-2002, 01:57 AM
where is celebration 2?

JediTricks
03-10-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Yoda'sMaster
where is celebration 2? Indianapolis

mark2d2
03-11-2002, 02:19 AM
I've never understood why the celebration isn't out here in CA. It's always so far away. There should be some perk to living in the same state as Skywalker ranch . . .

JediTricks
03-11-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
I've never understood why the celebration isn't out here in CA. It's always so far away. There should be some perk to living in the same state as Skywalker ranch . . . Some folks on the East Coast would find it too far, and I believe I heard somewhere that Wizards of the Coast had offices in Indianapolis, so it'd be like with the first celebration being in Denver run by the old Fan Club, who were also in Denver.

Tonysmo
04-08-2002, 03:09 PM
Ok, 1st off, Id like to say hello as I am not a newbie to the site, but finally a registered trooper so I can post my takes...

I missed out on the Denver convention but dont plan to miss the Indy one. It should be a few hours drive there from St. Louis and I plan on taking my mother ( huge fan - dont laugh, besides shes driving most of the way.. ) and my son and nephew so they can see all the troopers and such. Im still coming to grips with my situtation as I have been unable to afford one of those Kick butt trooper costumes so I will stick with being a traitor and part of the Rebal Alliance as I strut my stuff in an X-Wing pilot Costume..
I'd much rather defect to the Galactic Empire...
Anyhow, I plan to soak in as much as possible in the one day I am there as I already have my pass and am now counting the days...
as long as I dont have a bad motivator..

1 month 8 days 3 hours 23 minutes until 6:30pm on May 16th...

who cant wait any longer?

smo

Tycho
05-02-2002, 09:42 AM
Hey!

I hope to see you all there. My flight leaves in about 6 hours.

Look for me at the Con wearing my SSG Celebration Badge.

It will say "Tycho" on it so you will know who I am.

Please don't hesitate to say hello.

On Friday at 11 am, I'll be at the Star Wars 'Girls who Kick' Show with Aayla Secura, Mara Jade, Aurra Sing, Bariss Ofee, Luminara, etc.

Then at Noon, I'll be going to the opening ceremony to see Rick McCallum and Hayden Christensen.

I hope I meet you all there! - and that you have a wonderful time!

Tonysmo
05-02-2002, 11:28 AM
will you guys be there Saturday as well? Will you guys have a booth set up? I hope the guys at the celebration dont get upset when they see the SSG badge is twice the size of the regular admission badge.. I will be in costume, razzing all the imperials to join the rebel alliance!

torn: do I watch Return of the Jedi on Fox tonight, or Game 1 of the 2nd round of NHL playoffs between the Blues and Detroit.. GO BLUES!

Tycho
05-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Steve and I will both be there all weekend. I don't have my schedule in front of me this second, but I know I'll be going to see Billy Dee Williams reunion with Lobot, and all 3 Fetts on stage at once *Young / Old Boba & Jango. I'll also be going to see Star Wars' first couple: Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (Joel and Bonnie) on stage together, too.

Won't miss Carrie Fisher, either.

We won't have a boothe. We want to get out into the show and Steve wants to be able to cover the event for everyone who can't go.

We want to ask Hasbro the tough questions:

EU Figures? More Queens / Padme's? Why do you push the Reek's Wee-Wee?

And Rick McCallum must answer :

Why did you allow Greedo to shoot first?

What's up with the alternate dialogue tracks?

Are you going to put Jimmy Smits into Episode 4? WHY?

You can't do that while sitting behind a boothe. We meet our friends online or at conventions at the places where all Star Wars fans want to be. We don't make you come to us and miss out on anything else that's going on! SSG will be right where the action is Baby!

See you there. I'll be wearing the name tag: Tycho!

Long live Rogue Squadron. Long live the Alliance. Watch out 501st! You've got Incoming! Get ready to Rage!!!

Tonysmo
05-02-2002, 11:54 AM
just curious, as I had heard there would be booths set up for a few people, had to check if you guys would be one of them.

I know Im pumped and ready to get out there. My son is as well, I think the neighbors will be glad to see us gone for a day as think get disturbed at night when we are dualing with our lightsabers...

Enjoy the headstart, as we have two more days to wait.