PDA

View Full Version : TRU Exclusive Y-wing Fighter

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Here is a boxed image (http://www.rebelscum.com/2011/TVC-ywing.jpg) of what appears to be a new vintage-boxed Y-wing Fighter, with the TRU Exclusive sticker barely visible as that round thing near Lando. I can't tell how much of it is new, but it looks to have a droid slot (finally) and is in red colors similar to early concepts of the ship (before the color was transferred to the previously-blue X-wings). I'd be surprised if they didn't update the interior of the cockpit as well. Having Ackbar pilot the ship like on the actual vintage box is pretty funny, and Nien Nunb looks outdated on there. I like Lando's flared collar, too. :p

LTBasker
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Poor Nien, so horribly in need of an update.

mtriv73
05-24-2011, 08:48 AM
With the exception of the droid slot and the front guns, it looks like the same inferior mold I've bought too many times already. Maybe the mold will break this time and they'll finally give it the scaled up treatment it deserves the next time it's due for a release.

DarkJedi5
05-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I wonder about the choice of the red paint scheme. The Y-Wings in ANH are Gold Squadron and the ones in ROTJ are Grey Squadron. Other than the behind the scenes tidbit JJL points out, what's the appeal of a non-screen accurate Y-Wing?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I wonder about the choice of the red paint scheme. The Y-Wings in ANH are Gold Squadron and the ones in ROTJ are Grey Squadron. Other than the behind the scenes tidbit JJL points out, what's the appeal of a non-screen accurate Y-Wing?
It provides some variety to the ranks. There was already the red-and-blue one from TRU back in 2004, and we've seen green A-wings, black B-wings, and Republic Gunships and TIE Fighters in every flavor imaginable, so it's not like there's not a precedence for this sort of thing.

DarkJedi5
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
It provides some variety to the ranks. There was already the red-and-blue one from TRU back in 2004, and we've seen green A-wings, black B-wings, and Republic Gunships and TIE Fighters in every flavor imaginable, so it's not like there's not a precedence for this sort of thing.

Sure, but how did these things sell? In my area the Dagger Squad B-Wing gathered dust for months and the only way Target was able to move those SOTE TIEs was to cut the price in half (and I still didn't buy one). You're right the gunships do seem to move but they've got the show to support them and kids aren't usually as picky as collectors. I applaud their effort (I would love an all new or at least updated Y-Wing) but I just can't get excited about this vehicle.