PDA

View Full Version : Duracell batteries suck for long-term use

JediTricks
05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, I've been working 8 hour days every day for the past 2 weeks (16 hours the last 2 days) to get my stuff moved (or thrown out, a lot of stuff got tossed). Today is my last moving day, I have only a few things so I thought I'd take the time to mention something I found very frustrating.

While moving, I had to pack up all my figures and get them across town safely, some just went in bags while some ended up in packing peanuts, but I looked at a lot of older stuff, both Star Wars and not.

I had been a lifelong believer in Duracell batteries, they often have a little more charge (mAh), but oh my god do they suck for long-term use! Any electronic toy I had from the last 20 years (yes, longer than I've been at that apartment even) which had batteries got a quick look, and some older items from the '90s still worked even (circuit design seems to have gotten worse the last few years, a lot of toys now seem to drain batteries in off state where they didn't then), but a lot of the stuff with Duracells had leaked batteries, all of those leaks were bad ones, in fact.

I had toys with brands of generic batteries from stores that have gone out of business which didn't leak (Lucky market, Thrifty drug store), some even still worked, none of those cheapos exploded. I haven't found anything that had Energizers yet. But Duracells done me wrong so very badly, lots of exploded cells puking right through battery hatches. Come to think of it, I'm going to check my Force FX sabers for Duracells and chuck any I find, though I suspect I'll find only Rayovacs.

At this rate, I may as well buy Ikea Alkalines, $3 gets you 10 AA or AAA there, and if they fail, at least they're dirt cheap.