PDA

View Full Version : Celebration VI

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-02-2011, 01:11 PM
As seen on Star Wars Celebration VI (http://www.starwarscelebration.com/LP/Home/) site, the event is being held August 23-26, 2012, in Orlando Orange County Convention Center once again.

The facility was fantastic, even though the weather outside was insanely hot. I find a few things odd about this - the fact that it's not around any anniversaries or even the 3D release, and that it's around when a lot of students are likely starting school (I'll be done by then, but it's got to be a consideration for everyone else). I really want to go, and I suppose there's still well over a year for planning, but with my sister getting married next summer and the fact that I have no idea where I'll be means there are some things to consider first. Still, I'm excited!

nohagent
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I dont think this is the best time. I take my kid to this and well, With School starting earlier and Earlier it is like hell that the mom is gonna let him miss school for this, which means...I wont be going.

JediTricks
06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I posted the news earlier, and it took all my willpower not to mention in the article that there was no way in hell I was going to FLORIDA at the end of AUGUST. It's 2 days before my birthday no less, and a month after SDCC, I can't really see how I can make that work, and that's not even considering the spine-melting heat and humidity. This was an easy pass.

I wonder why they went with this again, and so soon after the last one, so late after the first 3d release too.

A buddy of mine went last year, and I was on the phone with him while he was walking back to his hotel late at night when he came across a real live friggin' gator!

nohagent
06-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes, I agree. Orlando again, I really didnt enjoy the climate and dont want to do that again either. Plus, its so far from California. Doing it once ok, but twice? HMMM...

JEDIpartner
06-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I hate Florida, but I might go if I can find someone to help split the cost of a room. I missed the last two and don't really think it's necessary to go to every single one. The last one I went to was CIII.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-02-2011, 07:28 PM
I did my time in FL last year at the SW Weekends, and that was in "mild" June. I'll pass.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-03-2011, 04:21 PM
The weather wasn't nearly as bad as you're all fearing. We were insanely hot when we were at Universal Studios, but that has got to be one of the most poorly-designed theme parks around. (I really don't need to revisit the disappointing Harry Potter park again so I have no reason to go to Universal.) The Disney parks have actual, factual shade (and I'll be riding Star Tours the entire time anyway :p ). The convention center itself was cooled the entire time to the point of being somewhat chilly, and the queues were all inside the facility (aside from the early-morning George Lucas/Jon Stewart line, but that was moved inside after a few hours).

JEDIpartner
06-03-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm about 80% sure I'm gonna be there.

Maerj2000
06-04-2011, 10:14 AM
They should just combine it with Star Wars Weekends at Disney, make it one huge annual SW fan event. Maybe it could be over two weekends, same program but less crowded. The Mouse would benefit, there'd be more things for families to do and mostly I wouldn't have to plan 2 trips to Orlando a year. Not to mention that May is much more pleasant than August in FL.

JEDIpartner
06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Guess who's going to ORLANDO??!!!

No more dithering... the 4-day pass has been purchased!!! WOOT!!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Tony Orlando? Orlando Woolridge? Orlando Bloom? Billy Dee "Colt 45 or Lando" Williams?

Congrats! Well, now CVI has one attendee. :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
06-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Mean! Mean! Mean!

p.s. - Orlando Bloom is icky. :sleeping:

mtriv73
06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Bought tickets for the wife and I, (the little guys get in for free,) the day they went on sale. This will be my first celebration so I'm really looking forward to it. As for the weather, we're used to hot and humid in the D.C. area by August.

JEDIpartner
06-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Sweet. *high five*

JEDIpartner
08-04-2011, 10:06 AM
*bump*

I think it's really weird that there really aren't many people on this site getting excited about this. There's a lot of activity on this topic on the other sites I visit. Oh, well...

JediTricks
08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
*bump*

I think it's really weird that there really aren't many people on this site getting excited about this. There's a lot of activity on this topic on the other sites I visit. Oh, well...Oh boy, another SW Celebration just 2 years after the one in the place nobody wanted to go the first time around, yay. It's too expensive, too far, too repetitive, too soon after the last one, not really celebrating anything significant this time around, too close to Comic-Con, and it's in Florida in the hottest part of summer. I just find that a recipe for non-interest.

Alternately, you could look at it as the fact that it's still over a YEAR away. :p

Are you excited, JP?

JEDIpartner
08-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I will admit that I don't like Florida. I don't think it's too expensive, I just couldn't afford to go the last time! LOL

Am I excited? You bet I am!! I hope to see more SSG'ers there. It was great meeting the ones that I did back at Celebration III. If nothing else, I'm just excited to be seeing friends and meeting the people I've met at this site and on some others since C-III. The big bonus is that I turn 45 on the first day of the convention, so that's a really nice birthday present to myself.

I've already got some fun shirts I made for the con since bringing a costume would be a little cost prohibitive due to air travel. :) One of the shirts has a picture of 1/2 of Darth Vader's mask and 1/2 of Anakin's face. The back reads "Same Sith, Different Day". Another has three Biths on the front and the back reads "At Chalmun's Cantina, we Bith Bith Bith all day long!"

nohagent
08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
As much as I dont care to go to florida again I had a good time at the last celebration and my fandom will probably eventually get me to commit. Maybe I can stay closer this time and feel more comfortable as I have in fact learned my way around. Regardless, going across the country from california sucks. I wouldnt mind nearly as much another Indianna or Colorado celebration.

JEDIpartner
08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Believe me, I would also love it if it had been more centrally located. Indy was a 4.5 hour car trip for me and that was really nice.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm about as far away from Florida as you can get in the lower 48 states. They should have one in San Francisco. It would certainly make it easier for Lucas to make it down from the ranch for an appearance. It would be an easy plane trip for me.

JEDIpartner
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm about as far away from Florida as you can get in the lower 48 states. They should have one in San Francisco. It would certainly make it easier for Lucas to make it down from the ranch for an appearance. It would be an easy plane trip for me.

I'd stay with my friend, Adrianne, and her husband. Is the convention centre large enough to host the convention?

JediTricks
08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
They've never done a SW Celebration in Texas, or in the Northwest, or in the Northeast. Why we had to have Indianapolis and Orlando twice is entirely beyond me. It's like someone got lazy and just signed a contract because it looked like the one they used last time. Looking at it on a map, it's like they're trying to cut a swath around Texas entirely, and the Northwest gets pretty badly ignored too.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd stay with my friend, Adrianne, and her husband. Is the convention centre large enough to host the convention?I don't know, but looking at this page - http://www.cvent.com/en/destination-guide/us-convention-centers-3m.shtml and sorting by meeting space, the Moscone Center in SF is one of the biggest in the U.S. I'm not sure how that space is allocated, though, and it is still less than half of what it lists Orlando as having, but more than San Diego. I also looked on a map, and it is downtown, so I don't know what parking and transportation would be like.

JEDIpartner
08-16-2011, 04:39 PM
They've never done a SW Celebration in Texas [snip], it's like they're trying to cut a swath around Texas entirely...

All the cosplayers would probably all get shot there. LOL

I don't know, but looking at this page - http://www.cvent.com/en/destination-guide/us-convention-centers-3m.shtml and sorting by meeting space, the Moscone Center in SF is one of the biggest in the U.S. I'm not sure how that space is allocated, though, and it is still less than half of what it lists Orlando as having, but more than San Diego. I also looked on a map, and it is downtown, so I don't know what parking and transportation would be like.

Hmmmm... interesting!

JediTricks
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I hear Austin TX is pretty progressive. Plus, the 501st could carry live ammo, for once, and shoot back. ;)

2-1B
07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Well I'm going to this gig since I'm looooong overdue for a Celebration:

C1 - I knew about it but never considered going since I was in college at the time. I remember sitting outside TRU for the TPM Midnight Madness and some people showed up straight from the airport, saying they just flew in from Celebration and it was a blast.
C2 - Indy is only about a 6 hour drive for me, so I should have gone...but honestly I didn't start getting into hardcore collecting SW autographs until August of that year, so I didn't think much about going.
C3 - Absolutely NO valid reason I didn't attend; I absolutely should have made that trip!!!
C4 - Eh, it wasn't too hard to pass on an L.A. trip (no offense).
C5 - It would have been cool but the timing was bad for me since I got married that summer and we did our honeymoon on Maui along with 2 Chicago area conventions; just had too many trips lined up.
C6 - It's finally time for me to actually attend one of these and that's a pretty cool guest list Official Pix put together (Mark Hamill and Warwick Davis will be the final 2 guests announced soon...)

JT, will you please re-consider and make the trip down there??? :)
JP, that sounds like a fun way to spend your birthday! Hopefully I'll bump into you there. :)
JJL, same to you (except for the birthday part). :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Nice! Now that this is getting closer, I'm getting more and more excited. I'll be doing a day at Disney's Hollywood Studios on Wednesday to check out Star Tours, get the previous exclusives there, and hopefully have a crack at the Build-A-Droid kiosk if it's back open by then.

(Looking back at my first post - my sister has since moved back her wedding by at least two years since she just doesn't feel like getting married yet. Her boyfriend has the patience of Job. :p )

El Chuxter
07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Her boyfriend has the patience of Job. :p )
Thankfully, though, God isn't killing your sister for no reason but to prove a point to Satan about your future brother-in-law. :D

OC47150
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
This is my first Celebration since C3. Attended 1 - 3, couldn't justify the money for C4 in LA, and just didn't have the money for C5. If it weren't for cheap airline tickets, I wouldn't be attended C6!

I'm looking forward to it. I'd love to volunteer at an event like this but since it's been a whle since I attended, I don't want to miss anything.

Looking forward to attending some of the panels.

TeeEye7
07-22-2012, 04:55 PM
This is my first Celebration since C3. Attended 1 - 3, couldn't justify the money for C4 in LA, and just didn't have the money for C5. If it weren't for cheap airline tickets, I wouldn't be attended C6!

I'm looking forward to it. I'd love to volunteer at an event like this but since it's been a whle since I attended, I don't want to miss anything.

Looking forward to attending some of the panels.

Photos.....or it didn't happen!

JEDIpartner
07-27-2012, 02:21 PM
I have it on very good authority that Celebration VI badges have started to hit the mailboxes up here in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up so that you can be on the lookout for yours!

See you at the con!!

OC47150
07-28-2012, 11:00 AM
My pass arrived in the morning mail!

JediTricks
07-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Well I'm going to this gig since I'm looooong overdue for a Celebration:

C1 - I knew about it but never considered going since I was in college at the time. I remember sitting outside TRU for the TPM Midnight Madness and some people showed up straight from the airport, saying they just flew in from Celebration and it was a blast.
C2 - Indy is only about a 6 hour drive for me, so I should have gone...but honestly I didn't start getting into hardcore collecting SW autographs until August of that year, so I didn't think much about going.
C3 - Absolutely NO valid reason I didn't attend; I absolutely should have made that trip!!!
C4 - Eh, it wasn't too hard to pass on an L.A. trip (no offense).
C5 - It would have been cool but the timing was bad for me since I got married that summer and we did our honeymoon on Maui along with 2 Chicago area conventions; just had too many trips lined up.
C6 - It's finally time for me to actually attend one of these and that's a pretty cool guest list Official Pix put together (Mark Hamill and Warwick Davis will be the final 2 guests announced soon...)

JT, will you please re-consider and make the trip down there??? :)
JP, that sounds like a fun way to spend your birthday! Hopefully I'll bump into you there. :)
JJL, same to you (except for the birthday part). :)Sorry bud, not only am I still financially recovering from SDCC, but Florida in August is just asking too much, and it ends a day or so before my birthday so I really don't want to be all jetlagged and burned out for that.

mtriv73
07-30-2012, 08:51 PM
My passes arrived today.

OC47150
08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Did anyone else receive the Celebration store exclusive list with their badge? Someone in my local club received one but I didn't. No big deal. Wide variety of items up for sale. T-shirts are $30. Ouch!

I pre-ordered the Greedo character key.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I got my passes, and the recently released schedule is looking amazing. I need to go through and figure out what I want to see, but there's not going to be a dull moment!

I want to see pictures of the Celebration store items, but a lot of them sounded pretty awesome, if a little expensive.

JimJamBonds
08-07-2012, 04:09 PM
2-1B sent me a pic of his badge and it looks pretty cool, although I wonder, why is Yoda giving the finger?

2-1B
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
That was actually a Yoda t-shirt, whereas the badge was the Elvis-Glasses-Wearing-Yoda deal. :grin:

Next Saturday I will be spending JimJam's birthday standing in line 4 hours waiting for Chewbacca to sign my Wookiee. :victorious:

By the way, these new smilies are creepy. WTF? :hopelessness:

JimJamBonds
08-15-2012, 05:42 PM
That was actually a Yoda t-shirt, whereas the badge was the Elvis-Glasses-Wearing-Yoda deal. :grin:

Yes thats right, my bad.

Next Saturday I will be spending JimJam's birthday standing in line 4 hours waiting for Chewbacca to sign my Wookiee. :victorious:
Thanks? I thought you said that PM is tool?

mtriv73
08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Star tours was awesome today. The now 5 year old loved it, but said he was kind of scared sometimes. I thought it was really well done (and thanks to fast pass we waited a total of 3 minutes.) Not many droid heads left at tatooine traders except r2, r5, and r4 when I got here today (late.) Assume they're still restocking nightly so i don't want to hurt anyone's expectations.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Star tours was awesome today. The now 5 year old loved it, but said he was kind of scared sometimes. I thought it was really well done (and thanks to fast pass we waited a total of 3 minutes.) Not many droid heads left at tatooine traders except r2, r5, and r4 when I got here today (late.) Assume they're still restocking nightly so i don't want to hurt anyone's expectations.
Cool! I'll be heading there tomorrow and can't wait to finally ride the new Star Tours. I'll get as many different droids as I can, but I'm not surprised that they're going fast, especially this week.

nohagent
08-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Anyone here at CVI want to meet up?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I'd be down to meet. I'll be with Steve to help at the Hasbro panel at noon tomorrow and then a little later with the Hasbro interview; are you guys going to the panel?

TeeEye7
08-24-2012, 11:09 AM
All of you had BETTER meet up! And we expect daily reports from everyone!

...and photos! Or it never happened!

mtriv73
08-24-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm @ the panel right now. Purple and green striped shirt near front on right.

TeeEye7
08-31-2012, 04:09 PM
So.....

Did anyone meet up? Or did you travel from all parts of the country just to miss each other by feet and inches....?

JimJamBonds
08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
I got text and pictures from 2-1B if that counts.

TeeEye7
09-01-2012, 03:53 AM
...and photos! Or it never happened!

I got text and pictures from 2-1B if that counts.

Doesn't count....(see above)....warnt no sharing.....

nohagent
09-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I met jabbaljohn and Sir Steve

TeeEye7
09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I met jabbaljohn and Sir Steve

Cool! That's more like it!

OC47150
09-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Met a lot of interesting folk, but no SSG folks. : (

Had a great time. Came home sleep deprieved, but it was still a great time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm @ the panel right now. Purple and green striped shirt near front on right.
Crap, I just saw this. Too bad we didn't meet up!

As nohagent said, I met him, and Steve and I worked on the coverage together. It was pretty busy start to finish - it seemed to fly by even faster than previous Celebrations did! Next time we'll have to plan something more concrete.

I can post more on it later - I have to get unpacked at the new apartment. Damn, it's been a busy couple of weeks!

mtriv73
09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I did meet Jedipartner while waiting in line to get my picture taken in the snowspeeder. I recognized him from some of the pictures he's posted here and think I scared him when I yelled his name since I don't think I've ever posted any of myself. Really nice guy though (sorry if I alarmed you JP.) I met a lot of people from all over the country and had a great time. I think it's something every Star Wars fan should do at least once.

TeeEye7
09-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it's something every Star Wars fan should do at least once.

What? Go to a Celebration or scare jP? ;)
Glad to hear SSGers are meeting up. It's only right IMO: in some cases we've known each other for over a decade!

JimJamBonds
09-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I did meet Jedipartner ...I scared him when I yelled his name...Did you yell out his SSG name or his real name? :teapot:

mtriv73
09-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Did you yell out his SSG name or his real name? :teapot:

Real name, at least his real first name. I don't think I know his last name.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Will there be "Celebration VII" gear like "Blue Harvest," to throw off the scalpers and press? ;) Should we open a whole new thread for Anaheim?