PDA

View Full Version : Bending cards

sith_killer_99
03-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Well, in the spirit of another thread recently (re)started here (hiding figures), I have another issue.

Who bends cards?

I know this is a bit childish, but some collectors actually do this.:sur:

Anyway, I seem to remember this same thread from a year or so ago, and with all the new members...

Anyway, it was quite a heated debate as I recall. More so than hiding figures.

So who does this, and why?

Turbowars
03-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Not a cool thing to do. although I haven't had recent problems, in the past I had to pass up some new releases due to some rude person that couldn't afford them so they screwed them up for us collectors.

Lord Malakite
03-04-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Who bends cards?

In the immortal words of Garfield the Cat: Whoever came up with that idea should be drug out into the street and shot.

That practice is uncalled for and it ruins the hobby for us decent carded figure collectors.

Lord Tenebrous
03-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Well, there are two variations on this theme.

The first is shipment bending, where somehow, either by the box getting wet, mistreatment, employee mishandling, etc, the store or store conditions cause the damage. I've seen this before, one instance where the box was filled with wet crumpled cards to begin with, and another where an employee was trying to fit all the figures onto the Star Wars pegs, and shoved the figures on one row, breaking some bubbles in the process. And they don't give you discounts for these. Which is alright I guess, unless something's missing. Most of this isn't intentional or intended, however, so I'm cool with this.

Consumer bending is wrong, though, because it's intentional vandalism of store property. It's alright to hide a figure for a day until you can come back with the money for it, but this kind of activity should be reported if you witness it.

stillakid
03-04-2002, 11:49 PM
I fail to see the difference between bending a card and stowing merchandise away. Either way, your intent is to discourage somebody else from buying it.

Look, if you don't have the money for that new HDTV today, do you go put a big ol scratch down the side so that it'll stay in Best Buy until you are financially capable? Do you hide the tv over in the appliance department so nobody else can take it from you? Maybe you do, but you shouldn't.

Lord Tenebrous
03-05-2002, 12:03 AM
I don't do either, but the big difference is that I see is that hiding is usually with the intention to buy, and bending is usually with the intention not to buy. I dunno, maybe hiding came about as an anti-scalper technique...

fourtwo
03-05-2002, 12:26 AM
i wouldn't do that myself nor do i know anyone who would but that doesn't really concern me. i open all my toys so the card condition is trivial. i'd say its much worse than hiding though, it will actually stop people from purchasing the figure.

comparing childrens toys to a tv is ludacris btw. :D

Sidiously Darth
03-05-2002, 03:39 AM
Since I open mine, if the card is bent, I don't really care. I've actually bought bent carded figures and left nonbent ones. I also think it is a very childish thing to do. What's next? Licking the bubble in hopes no one will touch it.:crazed:

Rollo Tomassi
03-05-2002, 09:55 AM
I bent a card once. There was a scalper (or a reeeeeally rich collector) that had like 20-30 figures in his cart and there was a little kid who wanted one of the multiple figures that the guy had, but he was being a jerk. So I picked the figure out of his cart and mangled the package right in front of him and then dropped it back in his cart. He threw me a dirty look, but he took my meaning and gave it to the kid.

InsaneJediGirl
03-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Even though I open up 90% of my Starwars stuff,I dislike
when people bend the cards.Its childish,if you dont have the
money,just hide the figure or stick it in Layaway.

xboywonder
03-05-2002, 10:24 AM
Way to go... Rollo Tomassi that is some serious anti-scalperism...
Way to stand up for the kids !! Wish I had seen that.

stillakid
03-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I bent a card once. There was a scalper (or a reeeeeally rich collector) that had like 20-30 figures in his cart and there was a little kid who wanted one of the multiple figures that the guy had, but he was being a jerk. So I picked the figure out of his cart and mangled the package right in front of him and then dropped it back in his cart. He threw me a dirty look, but he took my meaning and gave it to the kid.

Hey, I remember you, you bast...

Kidding....just kidding ;)

Darkross
03-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Well from where I get my SW stuff, bended cards is generally never a problem. I too don't have a problem with bended cards...since I open them anyway...but I would prefer if they were not bended though. If they get bended by accident, then that's OK, but if someone intentionally bends them...well that's another story. This bended cards thread reminded me of this past summer when I was at a specialty store buying some figures and I had given one to my 1 year old son at time to hold for me. He proceeded to drool all over it. You should have seen the look on the shop keeper's face. I told him not to worry, since it was one that I was going to buy anyway and I did.

Jayspawn
03-05-2002, 11:29 AM
Bending cards is so uncool. I definatly don't do it, and I very rarely run into it. But I've seen it.

sith_killer_99
03-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I remember a couple of folks supported the idea of bending cards, as an anti-scalper technique. The general concensus was that it is vandalism.

I was talking about collectors/scalpers bending the cards not stock boys. I have found that most stockers are actually pretty good about not damaging the cards.

I do know first hand how the cards can be damaged from the mfg. One time a stocker at TRU found a case of the Swimming Jar-Jar wave unopened, he was kind enough to bring it out and open it in front of me. I was shocked and delighted to find that Jar-Jar's card had been mangeled. I promptly picked him up and went to the register. Now I have 1 MOMC and 1 loose. The strange thing is, HIS card was the only one that was damaged.:confused:

As for myself I collect MOMC and loose. I try to get 1 of each MOMC and I buy an extra to open if I like the figure. I always buy the worst card for my opener.

JetsAndHeels
03-05-2002, 01:28 PM
While we are on the subject of bending cards, I received an Eeth Koth in the mail yesterday that I ordered.
I already have one MOMC but I wanted one to open, so I ordered a "non-mint" figure so that I would have one to open.
When I opened the box and pulled out the figure, it looked perfectly mint. However I knew something had to be wrong since I ordered a non mint.
When I flipped it over and looked on the other side, the top right corner had a straight, perfect crease on it.
It appeared as if someone had bent back a corner just to satisfy the condition of "non-mint."
Has anyone else ordered a figure online like this and noticed the same thing?
Sure I opened the figure, but if they get the figure and it is mint, shouldnt they send it like that, instead of purposely bending the card?

Casual George
03-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Rollo Tomassi I bent a card once. There was a scalper (or a reeeeeally rich collector) that had like 20-30 figures in his cart and there was a little kid who wanted one of the multiple figures that the guy had, but he was being a jerk. So I picked the figure out of his cart and mangled the package right in front of him and then dropped it back in his cart. He threw me a dirty look, but he took my meaning and gave it to the kid.

That Rocks. Hiliarious. I would love to have seen the look on that guys face! :Pirate:

As far a bending goes I haven't seen it too much in my area.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-05-2002, 05:03 PM
I remember this same topic in a thread on the old SSG board. Someone had commented about picking up an HTF figure and smelling a little "bum shmear" that another person had lovingly placed on the bubble.

And I thought bending cards was bad...

Lord Malakite
03-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Eeeeewww! Now thats just plain gross and an ultimate low. I thought scalpers couldn't get any worse.

Jargo
03-05-2002, 05:30 PM
It's weird, I get my figures on as near mint a card as I can find, and then I rip the suckers open. maybe it's a quality thing. I'm a snob and don't buy anything that looks shoddy or cheap and nasty. Bent cards look cheap and nasty and dirty and - sullied.....

Maybe it goes back to when I had a carded collection. But now I open so it shouldn't matter. but it does. maybe it's just a competitive thing, getting a mint card that someone else would be dying for and then opening it, ripping the card into tiny pieces and then letting the dog chew it. maybe this means I'm a sadist. :crazed:

Hmmmmmm...... You're bloody lucky that you have a layaway service in some stores. There's buggar all like that over here.

evenflow
03-05-2002, 05:35 PM
If i am buying the figure and I know i am going to open it, I don't care what condition the card is in as longer as the figure is complete and not damaged.

If i am keeping it on the card, i then look for the best one.

Dryanta
03-05-2002, 06:19 PM
I personally open everything.Because of that I really try and pick bad cards when I find them.To keep the good ones for those who don't open.
I seen alot of bad cards but I think they were all damaged in shipping.I don't think I've ever seen one that looked intentional.
The point about it being vandalism is an great point.
Rollo thanks.That is the way it should be handled.I never had the opportunity to do the same

jawa9
03-07-2002, 12:33 AM
Bending cards to hurt the value of a HTF figure doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, if a figure is hard to find then surely there aren't many on the pegs. Let's be realistic. It probably won't affect the market much unless you get someone in every city, in every state, in every country in the world to go to the store and bend cards for you.

Personally I would be worried if a serious collector caught me bending a card in a store. The baseball bats are usually not far from the toy isle:crazed: :dead: