PDA

View Full Version : Comic-Con 2011 SSG Get Together

JediTricks
06-29-2011, 05:41 PM
I know SDCC management has been dragging their feet on the schedule for this year's Comic-Con, so I understand there isn't yet a way to confirm details or even find a time we can all meet up. But we should start talking now about getting together since there's less than a month until Comic-Con. Whether it's lunch, dinner, something else, it's always cool to meet up with our forum friends.

So, who is going, and who would like to meet up?

I'll start by saying "me!"

El Chuxter
06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
If we want to go off-site during evening hours, I'm proposing Tioli's Crazee Burger (http://crazeeburger.com/). Where else can you get a hamburger made out of a carnivorous swamp reptile? :D

figrin bran
06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
JT, I can't commit yet as I'm waiting on the refunded one day passes to go on sale. This year has been disastrous for me as far as SDCC logistics!

JediTricks
06-30-2011, 05:49 PM
JT, I can't commit yet as I'm waiting on the refunded one day passes to go on sale. This year has been disastrous for me as far as SDCC logistics!I'm really sorry to hear it. The refunded 1-day passes are already gone too, I hope you got them. The SDCC management has really fumbled this year all the way around, that sucks you got caught in the wash.

figrin bran
06-30-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm really sorry to hear it. The refunded 1-day passes are already gone too, I hope you got them. The SDCC management has really fumbled this year all the way around, that sucks you got caught in the wash.

I got shut out again, JT. I just assumed the computer at work would be firewalled (turned out not to be- arghhh) and so I had to rely on the phone browser. That auto refreshing queue stopped refreshing after 20 minutes. A very disappointing experience for me.

However, I did get housing through that lottery in March and I can't get a refund now so I'll probably make the trip to SD. So, I might actually be at this get together?

El Chuxter
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
However, I did get housing through that lottery in March and I can't get a refund now....
Words cannot express the suck. :( Maybe with the movie studios seeming to back away from SDCC, it might be easier to get in in the future?

Want me to see if I can sneak you in my backpack or something?

figrin bran
06-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Words cannot express the suck. :( Maybe with the movie studios seeming to back away from SDCC, it might be easier to get in in the future?

Want me to see if I can sneak you in my backpack or something?

Chux, how about bringing me a Zarana in that backpack? ;)

Over 10,000 people got in the virtual line for the refunded one day passes today so clearly they are not meeting the demand on those. Plus that has to be really taxing on the servers to refresh 10,000 computers every 2 minutes.

At least for the non presence of the Avengers film, I'm sure it's because Disney has their D23 Expo the following month and they'd rather use it as a draw for their event.

My phone has always worked fine when ordering from Mattycollector.com which I used to think was the worst online ordering system ever. Congrats, SDCC, you've topped Matty in that department.

JediTricks
07-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I got shut out again, JT. I just assumed the computer at work would be firewalled (turned out not to be- arghhh) and so I had to rely on the phone browser. That auto refreshing queue stopped refreshing after 20 minutes. A very disappointing experience for me.

However, I did get housing through that lottery in March and I can't get a refund now so I'll probably make the trip to SD. So, I might actually be at this get together?Wow, that really sucks, I'm super sorry to hear it Bran. The SDCC management has so much to answer for (their screwy system pre-approved me for press credentials this year but never gave the email access to get them). What's the story on your housing lottery? Is it something you can transfer to someone else so you don't have to take the trip down there and not get in the door?

Over 10,000 people got in the virtual line for the refunded one day passes today so clearly they are not meeting the demand on those. Plus that has to be really taxing on the servers to refresh 10,000 computers every 2 minutes. The problem is that they've maxxed out the amount of space they have, they can't have more people without more space. There is a real dubious point to that though, Management has a ton of smaller rooms behind Ballroom 20 which are reserved for celebrity interviews, and had they opened more of that space to panels, they could have gotten another 5,000 people into the show at least (I think the smaller rooms hold like 250 or 500 people, they have I think 2 dozen rooms reserved for that stuff).

At least for the non presence of the Avengers film, I'm sure it's because Disney has their D23 Expo the following month and they'd rather use it as a draw for their event. That's a good point, I thought it was just because money is down, but your argument has more appeal to it.

My phone has always worked fine when ordering from Mattycollector.com which I used to think was the worst online ordering system ever. Congrats, SDCC, you've topped Matty in that department. Damn, they are well known on the web as being worst of the worst too, so that's really saying something.

Maradona
07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Line-Con beckons!!!! Last year, my lady friend and I spent about an hour in line on Sunday for the 2011 tickets. They sold out 10 minutes after we got ours. I'm hoping to get into the HTS and Entertainment Earth lines on preview night, if I can. Last year was lucky for me in that respect. I got Hasbro out of the way that night and had pre-ordered my Mattel haul. I suspect EE will not be as well-prepared as HTS and Mattel for the amount of scalpers, I mean fans, in line that night. I just really want the DCUC/MOTUC 2 pack and Masterpiece Rodimus. I'm willing to coordinate lining up with any of us going.

figrin bran
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
JT, SDCC management is probably just going to look at the fact that passes sold out so quickly and ignore everything else, unfortunately.

I'm also annoyed by the hotel/badge combos that they were offering last week. Had I not secured housing through their lottery process in March, I might have considered that combo. Or else, they should have offered more hotel/badge combos from the get go and included more of the downtown hotels in that.

Maradona, I wouldn't mind helping in the lining up for exclusives but I am badge less.

Maradona
07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I hear you FB. I've got two other friends who were shut out this year. One friend is driving to San Diego anyway to go into to buy a badge for next year. Each person who got in line last year could only buy their own ticket. When I tried to buy my lady friend's, I was told she had to buy her own, which she gratefully did. I'm not sure if Comic Con is doing the same thing this year, though I did hear that they would not be selling tickets on preview night. First thing Thursday, I'm getting in line for 2012 passes.

El Chuxter
07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Each person who got in line last year could only buy their own ticket. When I tried to buy my lady friend's, I was told she had to buy her own, which she gratefully did.
Figgy, IIRC, you could get to the ticket counter without actually going into Comic-Con. I don't recall the situation from last year as to buying others' tickets (my wife and I were together at the time, so it wasn't an issue), but I'm going to assume Maradona's right as I've never known him to lie, unless it's about the location of Blackbeard's treasure, which he still owes me after I saved his skin from the Neo-Aztecs. :mad:

Anyway, point being, you could probably ask one of the workers about the ticket counter's whereabouts if you're going to be in San Diego anyhow. Just be prepared to get as many contradictory answers as the number of employees or volunteers you ask. :D

JediTricks
07-05-2011, 07:08 PM
JT, SDCC management is probably just going to look at the fact that passes sold out so quickly and ignore everything else, unfortunately.

I'm also annoyed by the hotel/badge combos that they were offering last week. Had I not secured housing through their lottery process in March, I might have considered that combo. Or else, they should have offered more hotel/badge combos from the get go and included more of the downtown hotels in that. That's what makes this new management such much lesser-than from the previous.

Yeah, when I saw that they held back badges for some shell game with hotels, I was disgusted.

BTW, I think these guys are right, you can order your '12 badge on-site if you're going down without having a badge, it's the one part of the convention center they let you into, I believe.

figrin bran
07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks Chux, Maradona and JT!

At least I have something to shoot for now.

Figgy, IIRC, you could get to the ticket counter without actually going into Comic-Con. I don't recall the situation from last year as to buying others' tickets (my wife and I were together at the time, so it wasn't an issue), but I'm going to assume Maradona's right as I've never known him to lie, unless it's about the location of Blackbeard's treasure, which he still owes me after I saved his skin from the Neo-Aztecs. :mad:

Anyway, point being, you could probably ask one of the workers about the ticket counter's whereabouts if you're going to be in San Diego anyhow. Just be prepared to get as many contradictory answers as the number of employees or volunteers you ask. :D

Just like it is every year! ;) I always run into this with registration where some volunteers herd you into the longest line, unaware that there are other smaller lines that can lead to registration central.

That's what makes this new management such much lesser-than from the previous.

Yeah, when I saw that they held back badges for some shell game with hotels, I was disgusted.

BTW, I think these guys are right, you can order your '12 badge on-site if you're going down without having a badge, it's the one part of the convention center they let you into, I believe.

About that shell game, what's this love affair that they have with the Town and Country Mission Valley? Not only was it a part of last year's hotel/badge package as well but served as their satellite location for badge pickups on Wednesday. If they offer that again this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it's at Town and Country.

JediTricks
07-06-2011, 02:53 PM
My guess is one of the new management people has an in there, or is taking kickbacks.

So here we are, exactly 2 weeks from the show, and they still have no schedule up. No official list of exclusives, and only today have they added the exhibitors list and hall map.

JediTricks
07-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Like last year, the schedule for Thursday has gone up a whopping 2 weeks ahead of time. Oddly, there are at least 4 Star Wars things on it, Kinect Star Wars, SW The Old Republic MMO, SW Clone Wars season 4 preview with Dave Filoni, and the SW Fan Film Awards; the IDW panel may also have Star Wars in it, I dunno. Thursday also contains the Hasbro TF panel, the TF:Prime panel, and the Hasbro/IDW '12 Comics panel that I think is focusing on TF.

Exclusives are not yet listed.

So, who wants to get together on Thursday? I haven't put my Thursday on paper yet, so I can't say for sure, it doesn't look great but I'll do my best.

figrin bran
07-08-2011, 01:30 AM
JT, I'll go for Thursday. Though obviously, I'll have to meet you all outside of the con.

Maradona
07-08-2011, 01:51 AM
but I'm going to assume Maradona's right as I've never known him to lie, unless it's about the location of Blackbeard's treasure, which he still owes me after I saved his skin from the Neo-Aztecs. :mad:

Not to mention helping me complete the MASS device. :yes:

Thursday's schedule seems rather weak to me. I was hoping for the Batman Year One screening that night. Maybe it'll be Friday instead.

JediTricks
07-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Friday is an abomination. At one point in the day, I will have 5 different panels I'd want to go to, 3 of which are all the same priority, and another is for SSG news. I will be unavailable to meet up on Friday.

Also, speaking of "Friday is an abomination", this is my 5th Comic-Con and the first one where Friday isn't mentioned as Star Wars Day, and there's no SWD marker for SW events. I am really chafed at that.

Thursday's schedule seems rather weak to me. I was hoping for the Batman Year One screening that night. Maybe it'll be Friday instead.2 Year One screenings on Friday night.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Wow. All these positive, glowing comments are making me sad that I am unable to attend CC once again. But I do wish you good luck, we're all counting on you. :shirleyserious:

Maradona
07-08-2011, 09:19 PM
2 Year One screenings on Friday night.

I will be present for at least one. Friday's most alluring panel, for me at least, is the one with William Shatner and Kevin Smith. I'll hope to be there to see that train wreck/gold mine. For those that have not seen the Shat live, he is incredibly amusing.

El Chuxter
07-08-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see it, but it's PG-13, so I don't Chux Jr seeing it until I get a chance to. And she wants to go to the Batman TV 45th Anniversary panel the same evening, so she'll still be around at that time.

figrin bran
07-08-2011, 11:11 PM
2 Year One Screenings???

As if not having any passes didn't hurt enough already!

I would have had so many panels for Friday as well...Lego Star Wars, Hasbro Star Wars, Green Lantern animated series...oh well...

SirSteve
07-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Me! Me! :)

JediTricks
07-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Saturday is up, and it's VERY light, a pathetically weak schedule actually, like why the hell is Friday so over-scheduled when there's so little draw on Saturday? Anyway, my Saturday schedule involves standing in line for BR20 and then sitting in BR20 for hours, but after 1:15pm, I can flexible my schedule up nicely if that's what you guys want. That said, the Kevin Smith panel is Saturday evening, at 5:45pm, so Steve, Tycho, I, and probably several of you guys as well, will be lining up for that at some point as we do every year.

I am proposing Saturday afternoon would make a fine time to get together, after 1:20pm.

I will be present for at least one. Friday's most alluring panel, for me at least, is the one with William Shatner and Kevin Smith. I'll hope to be there to see that train wreck/gold mine. For those that have not seen the Shat live, he is incredibly amusing.That panel breaks my heart, it's scheduled against the Hasbro Star Wars panel, which I absolutely cannot miss. And since it's in 6BCF, not BR20 or Hall H, it isn't eligible for replay later that night. So, like much of Friday, as much as I want to be at that panel, I'm counter-scheduled against it - the idea of Shatner and Kevin Smith together alone makes me weep for joy.

I'd like to see it, but it's PG-13, so I don't Chux Jr seeing it until I get a chance to. And she wants to go to the Batman TV 45th Anniversary panel the same evening, so she'll still be around at that time.That Batman TV panel looks so dope, I may be joining you and the little gal if I can pull myself away from another panel in time. Since Year One is right next door, I'm going to try to do that as well. I can understand not wanting to keep your kid out that late though, it ends at 10, that'd be an easy deal breaker even if the PG-13 thing wasn't.

This reminds me, SDCC'11 seems to be the comic-con that my mom would most want to go to. It's the first one I'm not telling her about the events because I know it'll break her heart to hear what she's missing (her mother's dementia has gotten really bad and my mom has to take daily care of her now).

2 Year One Screenings???

As if not having any passes didn't hurt enough already!

I would have had so many panels for Friday as well...Lego Star Wars, Hasbro Star Wars, Green Lantern animated series...oh well...Really sorry to hear it. You should kick Tycho's butt and take his badge. ;)

Lord Malakite
07-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Saturday is up, and it's VERY light, a pathetically weak schedule actually, like why the hell is Friday so over-scheduled when there's so little draw on Saturday? Anyway, my Saturday schedule involves standing in line for BR20 and then sitting in BR20 for hours, but after 1:15pm, I can flexible my schedule up nicely if that's what you guys want.
Since you'll have plenty of free time to kill on that day you and Steve can swing by the Nickelodeon and Saban booths and pick up any Ranger freebies they have. :laugh: Also feel free to stop by the other booths and pick up any other freebies for me along the way. ;)

El Chuxter
07-10-2011, 12:59 AM
1:20 Saturday would probably work for me. I might try to go to Futurama, and it gets out at 1. If I can't, well, it'll be on TV soon. (I've found that the patience to wait until something actually airs a few months later works to one's benefit with panel scheduling. :))

El Chuxter
07-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Kinda skimming the list, I've come up with a tentative list for the first three days worth of panels. Not sure what I'll actually go to, and my daughter likely being with me the whole time is a big factor. And, yeah, I know there's some conflicts, but I'm not done:

Thursday:
10-11: IDW & Hasbro (room 9)
2:30-3:30: Hasbro Transformers (room 24ABC)
3:30-4:30: The Making of Transformers Prime (room 24ABC)
*--I've discovered that Chux Jr loves this show, primarily because Arcee is a main character. Given the disturbing dearth of strong female characters in kids' entertainment, I can't discourage this simply because it's crappily-written, uses the stupid Bayformers designs, and has a color palette that renders it almost unwatchable for me.
5-6: Beavis & Butt-Head (room 6A)
6-7: Voltron (Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront)

Friday:
10-11: Lego Star Wars (room 7AB)
11-12: Hasbro Star Wars (room 7AB)
11-12: Tintin (hall H)
2-3: Green Lantern: The Animated Series (room 6BCF)
3:30-4:30: Thundercats Premiere (room 6A)
6-7: Batman 45th Anniversary (room 9)
8-9: Reign of the Dinosaurs (room 6DE)
*--This sounds like a more up-to-date version of Walking With Dinosaurs. Who doesn't love Walking With Dinosaurs? The ghost of Hitler, that's who.

Saturday:
12:15-1:00: Futurama (ballroom 20)
7-8: Fables (room 6DE)
*--This is the only panel that's definitely not for kids, but might be okay for her to sleep in. But it's one of the best series I've ever read, and I understand that attendees get inside information on the characters that doesn't actually appear in the comic.
8:30-11:30: Masquerade (various locations)

Am I blind, or is there absolutely no GIJoe-related panel at all? :( I might have to ask at the booth, "Is GIJoe the red-headed stepchild of Hasbro, since most of the stuff--the POC line, both IDW continuities, and Renegades--are the best the line has ever been, but they're not marketed and all the eggs seem to be in the Rise of Cobra 2 basket, despite everyone and their brother agreeing that the movie was crap?"

figrin bran
07-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Really sorry to hear it. You should kick Tycho's butt and take his badge. ;)

Hmm..Tycho's not posted in this thread yet...Tycho, usually you don't attend all 4 days anyhow ;)

Am I blind, or is there absolutely no GIJoe-related panel at all? :( I might have to ask at the booth, "Is GIJoe the red-headed stepchild of Hasbro, since most of the stuff--the POC line, both IDW continuities, and Renegades--are the best the line has ever been, but they're not marketed and all the eggs seem to be in the Rise of Cobra 2 basket, despite everyone and their brother agreeing that the movie was crap?"

Yeah, you'd think Hasbro would have a panel for the upcoming Anniversary line at least.

Maradona
07-11-2011, 01:39 AM

I wonder if the scrapping of Renegades for yet another new direction has anything to do with what the Hasbro Joe team can show. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the toy plans that previously existed were either pushed back or abandoned in favor of preparing the market for the next phase of the brand. We've seen this several times before in the evolution of GI Joe. That's too bad, since I really like the POC iteration of the line. But I also loved the 25th Anniversary and that was killed off to make way for ROC.

JediTricks
07-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Sunday is up, yesterday in fact, but I got sidetracked. Hall H has been opened for Sunday and is being used in an odd manner, basically replacing Ballroom 20 panels, but there's a couple I want to hit in there, so I think Sunday I'm actually fairly booked.

So, I'm still up for Saturday, and now Chux is too. Anybody else?

Since you'll have plenty of free time to kill on that day you and Steve can swing by the Nickelodeon and Saban booths and pick up any Ranger freebies they have. :laugh: Also feel free to stop by the other booths and pick up any other freebies for me along the way. ;)You've never done a con with Steve, have you. There's no such thing as "free time", there's only more time taking pictures and talking with booth people for SSG and ActionFigs. SLAVE DRIVER! :D If I see some MMPR stuff, I'll make sure Steve or I grab it.

1:20 Saturday would probably work for me. I might try to go to Futurama, and it gets out at 1. If I can't, well, it'll be on TV soon. (I've found that the patience to wait until something actually airs a few months later works to one's benefit with panel scheduling. :))That's the panel I'm going to as well. It's a great panel, and some of the stuff they said at last year's hasn't happened yet, it's coming this season, so that's over a year's wait.

Kinda skimming the list, I've come up with a tentative list for the first three days worth of panels. Not sure what I'll actually go to, and my daughter likely being with me the whole time is a big factor. And, yeah, I know there's some conflicts, but I'm not done:

Thursday:
10-11: IDW & Hasbro (room 9)
2:30-3:30: Hasbro Transformers (room 24ABC)
3:30-4:30: The Making of Transformers Prime (room 24ABC)
*--I've discovered that Chux Jr loves this show, primarily because Arcee is a main character. Given the disturbing dearth of strong female characters in kids' entertainment, I can't discourage this simply because it's crappily-written, uses the stupid Bayformers designs, and has a color palette that renders it almost unwatchable for me.
5-6: Beavis & Butt-Head (room 6A)
6-7: Voltron (Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront)

Friday:
10-11: Lego Star Wars (room 7AB)
11-12: Hasbro Star Wars (room 7AB)
11-12: Tintin (hall H)
2-3: Green Lantern: The Animated Series (room 6BCF)
3:30-4:30: Thundercats Premiere (room 6A)
6-7: Batman 45th Anniversary (room 9)
8-9: Reign of the Dinosaurs (room 6DE)
*--This sounds like a more up-to-date version of Walking With Dinosaurs. Who doesn't love Walking With Dinosaurs? The ghost of Hitler, that's who.

Saturday:
12:15-1:00: Futurama (ballroom 20)
7-8: Fables (room 6DE)
*--This is the only panel that's definitely not for kids, but might be okay for her to sleep in. But it's one of the best series I've ever read, and I understand that attendees get inside information on the characters that doesn't actually appear in the comic.
8:30-11:30: Masquerade (various locations)

Am I blind, or is there absolutely no GIJoe-related panel at all? :( I might have to ask at the booth, "Is GIJoe the red-headed stepchild of Hasbro, since most of the stuff--the POC line, both IDW continuities, and Renegades--are the best the line has ever been, but they're not marketed and all the eggs seem to be in the Rise of Cobra 2 basket, despite everyone and their brother agreeing that the movie was crap?"Not a bad looking list. You are right that there's nothing GI Joe, I suggest you bug Derryl DePriest about it even though it's not his brand. :D

Hmm..Tycho's not posted in this thread yet...Tycho, usually you don't attend all 4 days anyhow ;) True enough. I haven't seen him post in a few days at all, I wonder if he's busy with another thing EDIT - just heard from him via text msg, he's been ill and is only now feeling better. Hopefully he'll check in soon.

Seems like the lack of new Clone Wars and TVC figures is making it too easy for all of us to drift away from Star Wars. He didn't get a badge either, like you, he missed out, and now basically has to come back to the SSG staff fold to get in this year.

Maradona
07-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Are any of us going to be there on preview night? I ask not for the meeting time, but to see if anyone else will be braving the Hasbro or Entertainment Earth lines that night. Also, is anyone aware of the Hasbro's prices for their exclusives. I haven't found them.

bikerscout
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
let me know when & where for the meetup. I'm goin all the days (including preview nite). I dont have a smartphone, so just text i guess. Bran -- need your # dude!!!

JediTricks
07-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Are any of us going to be there on preview night? I ask not for the meeting time, but to see if anyone else will be braving the Hasbro or Entertainment Earth lines that night. Also, is anyone aware of the Hasbro's prices for their exclusives. I haven't found them.I'm going to try both lines on preview night, but I suspect I will have no success, it's going to be a mess this year.

As for pricing, you haven't found it because Hasbro hasn't released it in a press release, and the SDCC site still doesn't have the Hasbro exclusives listed. http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_exclusives.php

let me know when & where for the meetup. I'm goin all the days (including preview nite). I dont have a smartphone, so just text i guess. Bran -- need your # dude!!!We're looking at Saturday afternoon, at least 1:15pm. I'll text you when we're there what the exact time will be (the exact time plus or minus 30 minutes if Tycho has to use the bathroom all of a sudden like in '09 I think it was ;)).

bikerscout
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
thanks JT.

as I've said many times - horrible dissemination of information from all parties involved with comic-con. We usually know everything & have pictures 4 wks.+ out. This year's been terrible. Wtf are they thinking/doing??!?!?!!?

Maradona
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm going to try both lines on preview night, but I suspect I will have no success, it's going to be a mess this year.

As for pricing, you haven't found it because Hasbro hasn't released it in a press release, and the SDCC site still doesn't have the Hasbro exclusives listed. http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_exclusives.php

We're looking at Saturday afternoon, at least 1:15pm. I'll text you when we're there what the exact time will be (the exact time plus or minus 30 minutes if Tycho has to use the bathroom all of a sudden like in '09 I think it was ;)).

Hasbro isn't even listed yet. Classic. Despite this, I'll attempt to be in line for EE and HTS on preview night. We should all "triangulate crossfire," to quote Joe Pesci in JFK.

figrin bran
07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
As if this event could be anymore of a nightmare, word has it that '12 pre registration will be off site at the Manchester Hyatt and only from 8 am to 11 am. And of course, we have price hikes, a 4 day w. Preview Night is now $175.

JediTricks
07-14-2011, 04:57 PM
thanks JT.

as I've said many times - horrible dissemination of information from all parties involved with comic-con. We usually know everything & have pictures 4 wks.+ out. This year's been terrible. Wtf are they thinking/doing??!?!?!!?I have been wondering that same thing.

Hasbro isn't even listed yet. Classic. Despite this, I'll attempt to be in line for EE and HTS on preview night. We should all "triangulate crossfire," to quote Joe Pesci in JFK.That's not a bad idea, if they have limits of 2 or more on this stuff, we could gang up on HTS and EE, one person wait in one line, the other wait in the opposite, then they each get the stuff the other needs and split the goods.

They posted the exclusives page as live news today, and still no Hasbro. I wonder if they're cutting them off the list because the items have high and/or unstated limitation numbers and are shared exclusives with HTS, but honestly, neither of those are likely reasons.

As if this event could be anymore of a nightmare, word has it that '12 pre registration will be off site at the Manchester Hyatt and only from 8 am to 11 am. And of course, we have price hikes, a 4 day w. Preview Night is now $175.Wow, where did you see that?!? That's outrageous!

figrin bran
07-14-2011, 05:37 PM
JT, there's an article that people are linking to on SDCC's official Facebook page and that's where I read it. If true, I don't know what to say other than how many times can management drop the ball???

If the item limits aren't going to be low, would you guys mind helping me with just a few Hasbro/EE items? I could meet you and pay right then and there.

Btw, back in '09 it wasn't just that Tycho had to use the restroom but also picking up Aayla from Sideshow and dropping something off for Ashley Eckstein ;)

JediTricks
07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I see. Stupid F'ing management is trying to run the whole SDCC site through Facebook, it seems. That's why I missed out on parking at the convention center proper, they couldn't be bothered to PUT IT IN THEIR NEWFEED! They're an abomination running the con this year so badly and already making plans to run it WORSE next year.

Oh? He talked you into saying it was just the toilet? :p

Maradona
07-14-2011, 08:42 PM
That's not a bad idea, if they have limits of 2 or more on this stuff, we could gang up on HTS and EE, one person wait in one line, the other wait in the opposite, then they each get the stuff the other needs and split the goods.

Count me in. I've communicated with Biker Scout and Darkagent usually shows up too - always after I've already been in line for much of the day... :razz:

figrin bran
07-15-2011, 12:22 AM
I see. Stupid F'ing management is trying to run the whole SDCC site through Facebook, it seems. That's why I missed out on parking at the convention center proper, they couldn't be bothered to PUT IT IN THEIR NEWFEED! They're an abomination running the con this year so badly and already making plans to run it WORSE next year.

Oh? He talked you into saying it was just the toilet? :p

About Tycho, what happened was that at Sideshow, he just had to tell them that he preordered Aayla from the hospital bed and then he asked if the girl that took his order was around and it turns out she was so they talked for a little bit. ;)

Comic-Con management (or their Facebook-posting intern) responded to someone posting the article figgy referred to earlier, and didn't dispute it.

Well, folks, if there's only a 3-hour window for getting the tickets, during the Con, of course, and a 67% increase in the prices, I'll be bowing out. It's not that I can't afford it, I just choose to not afford it. The value of Comic-Con is not $175 per person. Period. It's cheaper to pay the markup on any exclusives I want if none of my friends can snag them for me. As for the half-price graphic novels, well, I can get them for 30% off at Amazon or Borders, and that 20% extra over the whole year doesn't make up for the difference, either.

Making the 4-day passes cost more than the individual days is the most boneheaded, illogical business move I've ever heard of. That'd be like Disneyland charging $50 per day and $19,000 for an annual pass.

I'm right behind you in line on this, Chux. I'm really going to consider going to the SW Celebration next year over SDCC if this tomfoolery keeps up.

Paying shipping to HTS or Mattycollector doesn't seem so bad in compared to the hoops that SDCC management is requiring us to jump through just to attend.

And to expand further upon JT's point about them announcing everything through Facebook and Twitter, for the onsale of the refunded badges, they expected us to constantly check up on Twitter for a one hour heads up announcement for the sales. I can't help but wonder that I probably could have gotten at least one day's pass had I been able to be at a computer rather than trying it by phone whereby the browser just froze after 20 minutes.

Maradona
07-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Guys, I just saw this pass come up at another site. Not sure if it's appropriate to post it here (if it is, sorry JT), but I thought you might want to get in a free screening:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/win-passes-to-see-captain-america-the-first-avenger-at-comic-con-14173

bikerscout
07-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Funny, I was just wondering if Marvel was going to do a screening like this with that film coming out. I'll pass b/c it's something that you can see for a while (just have to pay). Don't wanna miss any panels or stuff Thurs. Would be cool to get that poster though.

Is the mgmt for CC new this year?? Cause they're off to a bad start. I've got a bad feeling about this.....

Turbowars
07-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Guys, I just saw this pass come up at another site. Not sure if it's appropriate to post it here (if it is, sorry JT), but I thought you might want to get in a free screening:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/win-passes-to-see-captain-america-the-first-avenger-at-comic-con-14173

Did you guy read the comments on that site? They say the colors he is wearing is an insult to the Mexican community. What a racist idiot. It's Captain America, not Captain South America.

Maradona
07-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Did"]http://www.latinoreview.com/news/win-passes-to-see-captain-america-the-first-avenger-at-comic-con-14173

Did you guy read the comments on that site? They say the colors he is wearing is an insult to the Mexican community. What a racist idiot. It's Captain America, not Captain South America.

I get what you mean, though Mexico is in North America. Technically, the American continents stretch from the northernmost tip of Canada to the southernmost edge of Argentina. But, quite honestly, the film should retain the title CAPTAIN AMERICA in worldwide release. The United States of America's involvement in World War 2 (the setting for the film and the impetus for the creation of the character) positively shaped the course of human history. No studio, regardless of the political climates in other countries, should be ashamed of keeping this film's title throughout its entire run, instead of rebranding it as The First Avenger. I look forward to seeing CAPTAIN AMERICA at Comic Con.

JediTricks
07-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Comic-Con management (or their Facebook-posting intern) responded to someone posting the article figgy referred to earlier, and didn't dispute it.

Well, folks, if there's only a 3-hour window for getting the tickets, during the Con, of course, and a 67% increase in the prices, I'll be bowing out. It's not that I can't afford it, I just choose to not afford it. The value of Comic-Con is not $175 per person. Period. It's cheaper to pay the markup on any exclusives I want if none of my friends can snag them for me. As for the half-price graphic novels, well, I can get them for 30% off at Amazon or Borders, and that 20% extra over the whole year doesn't make up for the difference, either.

Making the 4-day passes cost more than the individual days is the most boneheaded, illogical business move I've ever heard of. That'd be like Disneyland charging $50 per day and $19,000 for an annual pass.The 4-day passes are supposed to now cost EXACTLY what buying 4 single-day passes would cost, so that folks who are going only 2 or 3 days don't buy the 4-day pass to save money and waste a 4-day pass. Of course, this thinking flies in the face of the POINT of a full-show pass, but since the SDCC people now have their audience in the palm of their hands, they can pull whatever they want. The funny thing is, we're talking about nearly $200 so that big movie and TV studios can advertise at us, that doesn't seem right at all, and then the Comic-Con showrunners get paid BY THOSE STUDIOS, so they're getting it from every direction, and they're a non-profit!

About Tycho, what happened was that at Sideshow, he just had to tell them that he preordered Aayla from the hospital bed and then he asked if the girl that took his order was around and it turns out she was so they talked for a little bit. ;) Oh yeah, now I remember that part of the excuse!

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/win-passes-to-see-captain-america-the-first-avenger-at-comic-con-14173We have other SDCC threads that aren't about the get-together, but since this is an event folks might want to try to get together at, it's ok here too.

Funny, I was just wondering if Marvel was going to do a screening like this with that film coming out. I'll pass b/c it's something that you can see for a while (just have to pay). Don't wanna miss any panels or stuff Thurs. Would be cool to get that poster though.

Is the mgmt for CC new this year?? Cause they're off to a bad start. I've got a bad feeling about this.....True point about Thursday, that day is a bit heavily booked for me too. This happened to me every year, I just realized, access to movies at Comic-Con that I can't go to because of counter-scheduling.

I don't know that the management for SDCC is new the last 2 years, but I have suspected it since Shel Dorf passed away a couple years ago, things seemed to take a really bad turn last year and have cascaded even worse this year.

Did you guy read the comments on that site? They say the colors he is wearing is an insult to the Mexican community. What a racist idiot. It's Captain America, not Captain South America.I think he's being sarcastic.

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Ok, I have moved the posts that are purely about the disastrous 2012 badge purchasing situation into the other Comic-Con thread, the one about the disastrous 2011 badge purchasing situation. :p

So, anybody else interested in getting together during Comic-Con?

Who is definitely on board?

El Chuxter
07-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm assuming I am, but the devil would be in the details. ;) Same place as in the past?

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm assuming I am, but the devil would be in the details. ;) Same place as in the past?That's an interesting question. Last year, it was just Steve, Figrin Bran, Tycho, and me, we ended up going to Tycho's favorite place to get bad service while ogling waitresses, it was too loud to have a conversation, and a bit of a walk, and I think everybody's order was some degree of wrong. :p

The main lawn in front of the Hilton the last 2 years has been growing more and more taken-over by the studios' advertising schemes, so the rest of the grass is highly doodied (it's technically a dog park, but in '07 and '08 it wasn't a problem, last year it was). So I don't know, I guess we should discuss that too.

Anybody got any other suggestions? There are a million restaurants in the area, but they're all loud and the ones I've seen are generally small tables only.

El Chuxter
07-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I'll toss out Crazee Burger again, but it's not exactly within walking distance.

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I'll toss out Crazee Burger again, but it's not exactly within walking distance.The closest one is 4 miles away, in Old Town, which means taking the Trolley. The other one is in North Park 5 miles away, only a small ways over the hill from Tycho's place but no easy trolley to get there, may as well just meet in front of Tycho's palce. :p I'm not saying no to the one in Old Town, but leaving the Gas Lamp district and Downtown seems a bit much considering most of us probably have more stuff to do at the con that evening.

El Chuxter
07-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I don't know much in the Gaslamp, at least that won't be crowded as snot.

Maradona
07-17-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd like to meet up with you all and maybe I'll be able to, but I don't want to commit, since I'm going with someone else and I've already committed her to being in lines for much of the first two days. She's got her to do list also. Have you considered the Tin Fish? I eat there just about everyday at the convention. Richard Walker's Pancake House is delicious, but cramped. If you have not tried it before, I highly recommend it.

bikerscout
07-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Tin fish? Is that the one in front of the Omni hotel??

I'd like to meet up, but don't want to set anything in stone yet, as plans could change. Sat. afternoon will be good as I am carpooling and not driving that day

JediTricks
07-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I don't know much in the Gaslamp, at least that won't be crowded as snot.Oh, I see.

The Gaslamp is right across the street from the convention center, specifically across from Halls D through H. When you cross the street at the light at Hall D, you are presented with a fork in the road, left is downtown, right is the Gaslamp gateway, the area has a nicer look to it, and more taverns. It will be crowded as snot in a grubby 7-year-old with a cold at Disneyland, wiping his nasty little nose on his arm and snurfing every 3 minutes. :p

I'd like to meet up with you all and maybe I'll be able to, but I don't want to commit, since I'm going with someone else and I've already committed her to being in lines for much of the first two days. She's got her to do list also. Have you considered the Tin Fish? I eat there just about everyday at the convention. Richard Walker's Pancake House is delicious, but cramped. If you have not tried it before, I highly recommend it. Ok, well keep in touch.

I haven't considered Tin Fish only because it's literally the first restaurant when you cross the street, and always looks packed. Hopefully we'll have around 9 or 10 people like we did in '07 and '08, and finding a table that close to the convention center for that many will be... challenging.

Tin fish? Is that the one in front of the Omni hotel??

I'd like to meet up, but don't want to set anything in stone yet, as plans could change. Sat. afternoon will be good as I am carpooling and not driving that dayIt is the one in front of the Omni, yes. A couple years ago, NBC rented it out to do a press event unveiling the new Knight Rider there, and look how well that turned out for them. ;)

Ok, so we have a lot of mebbes.

El Chuxter
07-18-2011, 03:01 PM
If the Tin Fish serves what their name implies, I wouldn't be able to eat there unless one of you is a paramedic. :) I'm not saying it's out, just that I can't eat fish.

JediTricks
07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
If the Tin Fish serves what their name implies, I wouldn't be able to eat there unless one of you is a paramedic. :) I'm not saying it's out, just that I can't eat fish.I have a similar problem, I can't eat tin.

figrin bran
07-20-2011, 12:13 AM
It looks as if Saturday night is the plan and thus my streak of attending these dinners will be broken.

However, if all goes according to plan (unfortunately, not much has gone according to plan with regards to SDCC '11), I should be able to see most if not all of you inside the con. may the force be with me on that! ;)

JediTricks
07-20-2011, 01:11 AM
It looks as if Saturday night is the plan and thus my streak of attending these dinners will be broken.

However, if all goes according to plan (unfortunately, not much has gone according to plan with regards to SDCC '11), I should be able to see most if not all of you inside the con. may the force be with me on that! ;)The plan is Saturday Afternoon, around 1:15 or 2ish. Hopefully that'll work better for your schedule. It should, that seems to be panel-death time.

Hope to see you inside the con, best of luck, may the Force be with you! (Haven't typed that in a long while.)

JediTricks
07-22-2011, 01:42 PM
So, I think tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon we could get some pizzas or sandwiches and go over to Petco park's park area, that should be pretty easy to find a nice area to sit and talk.I need to know if we're doing this so I can set up an interview with Hasbro around it. So who is in?

figrin bran
07-24-2011, 01:25 PM
So the roll call for this lunch was

SirSteve
JediTricks
El Chuxter
Chuxter jr.
Bikerscout
And myself.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-24-2011, 03:00 PM
And the menu for this gathering was:
?
?
?
?

Topics of discussion were:
?
?
?
?

Clothing worn was:
?
?
?
?

Brands of cellphones there were:
?
?
?
?

Styles of "goodbyes" used were:
?
?
?
?

Insults now directed at B-CJ are: ;)
- #@%$&!
- ******!
- ~?%*#!
- ?
- ?

figrin bran
07-24-2011, 09:54 PM
BCJ,

SirSteve had a tuna salad sandwich (I think)
The rest of us had a pepperoni pizza

I can't vouch for everyone's phone but
Figrin Bran- iPhone 4
JediTricks - some sort of Droid phone

Some topics of discussion:

- Batman Year One screening
- Amy Winehouse
- bad shuttle Challenger jokes
- the kid who asked the Hasbro SW team at their panel why it was so incredibly difficult to get into the HTS line
- Chux and I talked about all the scampers we encountered in the Hasbro lines

Stay tuned for more! ;)

JediTricks
07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Clothes
- t-shirts, ball caps
- Clark Kent outfit with Superman shirt under: Chux
- Supergirl t-shirt, Batman cape: Chux Jr (so cuuuuute! She even did the cape pose with the Slave Leias in the con)

Phones (cont)
- HTC Evo 4G, JT.
- iPhone 4, Steve.

Topics of conversation (cont)
- Booth b-i-m-b-o-s, courtesy of Chux.
- Why JT was a dope and didn't buy the other ready-to-go pizza even though it was sausage which nobody seemed to want, and only bought 2 vegetarian slices to round out the foolishness.

Goodbyes
- "Have a good train ride!": me, to Bran.
- "See ya tomorrow probably": Bikerscout to me.
- "...": Chux and Me to each other, since we ended up hanging out for a few more hours with his kid in the con.

So, next year, pizza is a winner I think (Steve will get another sandwich from the Cine, that's his thing and I wholeheartedly agree), but MORE OF IT. Gaslamp Pizza was pretty awesome, very authentic cheap pizza joint, price was ok for the size, $18 for 18", but we should have gotten a supplementary pie and that's all on me. Next year we'll just order in advance what we want instead of letting me screw things up.

Maradona
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry I didn't make it to the SSG get together. I got into a screening of Captain America at the Horton. When the lights came on for the credits, it turned out that Darkagent was seated in front of us. On our way out, we ran into Commtech. It was good to finally meet so many of you whose posts I've interacted with over the years. A particularly large shout-out goes to Figrin Bran, who hooked me up at the Hasbro.

I must share the story of Wednesday night. My lady friend and I arrived to the Comic Con entrance line just after 10AM. We were about the 50th or so people in line. We were let in at 5:50PM. We walked straight down, she went to Entertainment Earth (only to find Faker vs. Bizarro had not arrived) and I went straight to HTS. When I got there, the line was capped and wrapped entirely around the booth. Roughly 300 people were in line. I hung out for over half an hour and the line did not move at all. I was soon after cleared out of the area by "security." This happens every year, I'm sure, but this was the first I've been caught in it. As a result, I had a terrible burning in my gut for the next 4 days, not because I didn't get to buy toys, not because I waited all day, not because I knew there were scalpers and exhibitors in the line, but because I had willingly paid for this injustice. I chose to support a system that is inherently unfair and traditionally poorly run. I paid to get to San Diego as early as I could. I paid to come get in line after line. I woke up extra early every day to get in yet another line that was exhaustive, if I was "lucky" enough to be allowed into it. I was in the 2012 admission line for nearly 6 hours Thursday, then I felt ironically fortunate to have a ticket for the next Con. On Friday, I was at the convention center 3 hours before the Captains panel, but the line was capped. Mattel was a dream come true at 40 minutes to pick up my pre-order. I spent 6 hours in line to get into Ballroom 20 after that. My experience, I'm sure, is not solitary, but shared by most convention goers.

My only positive line experience came on Sunday around 3:30PM. I walked by the HTS line, which was about 5-6 people long then. I noticed that the display cases had been emptied. On the counter behind the cashiers were the two loose Zaranas and the out of the package Starscream/Skystriker. At my lady friend's urging, I wondered aloud if they would sell them to me. One of the ladies behind the register said yes, but only if I stood in line. As a rare courtesy, the woman held them for me until I got up to the front to pay. A patron in front of me bought the Skystriker. As I was paying for both loose Zaranas (pun not intended), another cashier expressed her surprise that I was allowed to purchase them and another told me that the designer himself had posed the figures. So after the entire mess of the past 4 days, I was able to buy what I got there super early to do so. The line was miniscule, the service friendly, and the result happy. Call it a paradox, an oxymoron, or poetic justice, but Comic Con this year made me reevaluate what has been my annual ritual for the past 18 summers. I'm paid through for next year. Along the way there between now and then, this year's debacle will fade in my memory, as most things do. But it is very likely that my Comic Con world will end in 2012...

figrin bran
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I've been meaning to ask this but did anyone's credit cards get flagged for fraud when purchasing from HTS at the con?

This happened to me with two cards - one got declined outright while I was paying, the other one went through but then it turns out they put a hold on my account because the HTS charge shows up as being in Rhode Island, Hasbro headquarters.

Tycho
08-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Sorry I didn't make this one.

I think I did get to see everyone who attended except Bikerscout at one point or another.

Sounds like you guys had a nice time.

I might have been at Falling Skies' panel or the Wilfred one.

I also was requested with my Civil War unit to participate in the Costume Masquerade, and since I had real guns (that's what we use), I did not want to spend a lot of time going in and out through security. They ultimately never stopped me or asked me any questions - and my musket was 6 feet long! And no one checked my bayonet, either - a sharpened stabbing weapon. This was the day after the Norway shooting. I could have been a psychopath. Oh wait.... Well, they let me in fully armed anyway.

bikerscout
08-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Maradona -- i'm sorry you had to wait in so many nasty lines (& i was complaining about the short Mattel line when i was in it!). The info you provided me in those texts was invaluable though - thanks again. Did you get the next year tickets???

JT -- funny lunch recap! The tv we were sitting by had the Winehouse headline on for a half hour straight it seemed like. Big story -- but shouldn't have commanded that much attention.

Tycho -- have to meet up with you next time. (Although your gun story makes me nervous......:playful:)

darkagent -- saw ya once on preview nite --then never again. Stealthy like batman!!!

figrin bran -- to answer your question, yes, a friend's card was flagged b/c of the R.I. thing on preview night. He was livid. I'm not sure if he was able to make the big purchases with his card, but he called them after finishing at the checkout. I've known him for almost 5 yrs. and this was the maddest I'd ever seen him. After chewing the CSR & co. out - the matter was resolved. I think. At least this isn't the hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil BS that TFsource was pulling when their site got hacked. Absolutely irresponsible handling of that situation & the largest TF sites on the web (not naming any names) are nearly just as guilty for not warning people of the hack ---even if it didn't actually happen (but it actually did, many ppl had posted that their cards were compromised & only used for TFsource). Don't want to go off on a tangent too much, but that whole affair really bothered me. I was lucky to not have fraudulent charges on a card i had used with them

JediTricks
08-09-2011, 09:43 PM
You guys have some wild excuses not to be at our lunches. ;)

Bikerscout, you know what's sad? You just made me realize that the Amy Winehouse story got more coverage and has lasted longer than the homegrown terrorism in Norway, that day's OTHER big story.

Anybody here make it to the SDCC 2012 badge preorder kiosk this year? I had forgotten all about them, am curious what the dealio is there.

El Chuxter
08-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Bikerscout, you know what's sad? You just made me realize that the Amy Winehouse story got more coverage and has lasted longer than the homegrown terrorism in Norway, that day's OTHER big story.
Man, that is sad. Especially since, barring some heavy-duty treatment that didn't appear to be in the works, Winehouse was pretty much as good as dead anyway.

FB, I didn't get flagged for fraud, but it did take over a week for the transaction to process. A minor complaint, but the HTS flyer said all prices included tax. Zarana was $14 and the Skystriker $54, IIRC. So why was the total $70.01? I know it's a minor issue to complain about one penny of sales tax, but I'm sure someone did at some point.

Maradona
08-10-2011, 03:17 AM
Anybody here make it to the SDCC 2012 badge preorder kiosk this year? I had forgotten all about them, am curious what the dealio is there.

I did. My lady friend and I were in line from before 6AM until past noon on Thursday. When the tickets finally went on sale, it was in a large room with a monitor showing the percentage of tickets sold for each ticket category (4 day w/preview night, 4 day, individual days). By the time we purchased our 4 day with preview nights, 50% of them were sold out. How that is possible, I can only speculate. I missed the Captain America screening that morning to secure next year's passes. Ultimately, that seemed like a fair trade, since we saw the film two days later. Was a preview night sell out announced like it was last year?

bikerscout
08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
chuxter -- I forget how much the skystriker was, but all 3.75" Joes this year were $16 (tax included). That would explain your $70 bill

El Chuxter
08-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I was referring to the one penny over. All their prices on the price sheet said they included tax and were round numbers. But clearly this wasn't the case.

JediTricks
08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I did. My lady friend and I were in line from before 6AM until past noon on Thursday. When the tickets finally went on sale, it was in a large room with a monitor showing the percentage of tickets sold for each ticket category (4 day w/preview night, 4 day, individual days). By the time we purchased our 4 day with preview nights, 50% of them were sold out. How that is possible, I can only speculate. I missed the Captain America screening that morning to secure next year's passes. Ultimately, that seemed like a fair trade, since we saw the film two days later. Was a preview night sell out announced like it was last year?Well, as nasty as that sounds, at least you got your passes on day 1, I expected a tale like the HasbroToyShop nonsense.

The percentages should have been showing for that day's allotment only, or perhaps they combined the percentages for all 4 days. But they're holding back passes for online in every category, so I wouldn't be surprised if the preview night tix allotment was sold through while you were there, that the 50% number was showing that all of their in-location allotment was gone already in just 1 day. They really need to figure out how to express what this all means in a clearer fashion, I am still confounded by the "SDCC ID" aspect, and am grateful more than ever that I don't have to go through that nonsense.

Maradona
08-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Well, as nasty as that sounds, at least you got your passes on day 1, I expected a tale like the HasbroToyShop nonsense.

The percentages should have been showing for that day's allotment only, or perhaps they combined the percentages for all 4 days. But they're holding back passes for online in every category, so I wouldn't be surprised if the preview night tix allotment was sold through while you were there, that the 50% number was showing that all of their in-location allotment was gone already in just 1 day. They really need to figure out how to express what this all means in a clearer fashion, I am still confounded by the "SDCC ID" aspect, and am grateful more than ever that I don't have to go through that nonsense.

Among the problems at SDCC is that they oversell tickets. I asked an attendant, for fun obviously, if they'd consider charging double the price but only let in half the people that way they stay even in income, but alleviate the majority of the turmoil. She just laughed. Ultimately, they nearly doubled the price while not reducing the entrants. The irony is that SDCC claims to be a non-profit, if I'm not mistaken.

JediTricks
08-11-2011, 10:10 PM
SDCC is indeed a non-profit, its goal is merely to put on the convention itself, no greater goal than that (though they funnel funds to APE and WonderCon from it, I believe).

The con is at a quandary, it can't really reduce the number of people, they are maxxing out only because the fire marshal won't allow them to have more people in the rooms they have, so every year they leverage a few more rooms on the 20s-30s side (above Hall H and the south half of the convention center) to get a few more thousand people past those regulations; but if they WERE somehow to reduce the number of people going to the show, they'd have no way to fund the show because the big money exhibitors and panels wouldn't show up or would demand to pay less - they want as many eyes as possible on their exhibits and panels, every set of eyes is (in theory) pre-focused marketing, the best kind of market, the kind that already wants to buy into what you're selling; and it seems they can't charge much more for booths in the exhibit hall because the more they charge, the worse the booth will be, and the worse the booths are, the less folks will show up next year.

I'm not entirely surprised they raised the price on badges, at $40 a day that's what a lot of much smaller conventions are going for lately, the price of energy and manpower has gone way up the last few years. Plus, Comic-Con supplies fresh drinking water in every panel room from Sparklets, that's lots of water jugs and cups to pay for which they recoup no funds.

That said, the convention is trying to leverage their drawing power against the city of San Diego, trying to get them to build even MORE convention center (it was because of SDCC that the convention center has Halls D through H now) and to keep parking and lodging gouging down (non-prepaid parking this year was indeed slightly cheaper than '09 and '10). Just found out that, in consideration of a proposed expansion of 33% to the current convention center, the city has acquired 6 more acres of bayfront land to expand onto, should they figure out a way to pay for said expansion. My guess is they bought the dead lawnspace between the Bayfront Hilton and the convention center, or they bought the smattering of small business and parking lots on the bay side of the convention center (though I can't imagine that being the 6 acres, since it's a tiny peninsula and likely not able to support the weight of a large building). 33% expansion of the existing con space would roughly another hall D through H and everything upstairs of it (and half the Sails perhaps, though hopefully they won't goof this time and make an outdoor space that nobody wants to rent), so that would be a significant improvement to the crowding problem. However, they aren't really sure how the 3/4 of a billion dollars is going to get paid for.

San Diego Convention Center currently has 819,815 square feet of "people space", space for exhibits and panels, making it the 24th largest convention center space in North America. Its maximum capacity is stated at 125,000, yet last year Comic-Con was 130,000 and I believe this year it was 5k more, through creative use of the 2 local bayfront hotels, the public use of some additional upstairs rooms from years previous, and expanded use of the exterior space for lines for larger panels such as Hall H and Ballroom 20 and even smaller ones on the 6 and 7 rooms.

It looks like SDCC and CES tied for most attended conventions in 2010 with 130,000 each. However, unlike San Diego, CES is held in Las Vegas where they already have another 1.1 million square feet of exhibit space, so CES has room to expand. Las Vegas actually has 2 convention spaces larger than SDCC, their convention center is the 3rd largest in North America, but there's also the Sands Expo Center that's around 300,000 square feet larger than the SDCC (pardon my interchange of SDCC for Comic-Con and the convention center, but in this case they are hopefully clear by context and essentially saying the same thing anyway). Los Angeles, Anaheim, Long Beach, all of them are pretty much stuck around the size of the existing SD Convention Center (LACC seems to be about 100k square feet larger, but more of their display space is exhibition space, they have a bit less space for panels). So really, were Comic-Con to move, the only viable choices to move to on the west coast are both in Las Vegas. July. Las Vegas. No.

Maradona
08-12-2011, 02:48 AM
I love San Diego. I've been going there for this convention since 1994 and would ideally love to continue going. I call it my annual pilgrimage. I hesitate to guarantee, though, that SDCC will remain there. The city can't come up with funds to keep the Chargers, apparently, as they seem to be relocating back to Los Angeles at the now approved Farmers' Field super stadium to be built adjacent the Staples/Convention Centers. If the City of San Diego cannot keep a sports franchise that brings in revenue for several months out of the year, I fail to see them prioritizing a convention hall's expansion for a five day event during a troubling economic period.

So where does SDCC go? Las Vegas seems too distracting for it apart from the heat, Anaheim doesn't impress me as being able to sustain such a show, which I doubt Disney want in direct proximity to their own D23 Expo, and I doubt the convention will move any further east. Los Angeles, though I am not a huge fan of our convention center's location, has a substantial amount growing for it. The Farmers' Field schematics look amazing and will likely draw in many retail/food businesses to the area. Public transportation to that area has really improved. The metro stops right there and people can get there from LAX, Long Beach, Hollywood, the SF Valley, and now the Pasadena and foothill communities, along with East LA/Monterey Park. That gives a ton more hotel availability to the show, since public transportation allows it not to have to be so localized, though downtown does have several hotels. LA Live has several restaurants, with more places opening rather regularly. Comic Con could hold their Hall H type panels within the Staples Center or Nokia Theater, if necessary, where capacity is near 20,000 in one and about 8,000 in the other. There aren't really any sporting events held at Staples over the summer, so no scheduling conflicts would arise. I've gone to a few conventions at LACC and I must say they run well. CIV was excellent, spacious for just about everything I can think of. Anime Expo runs smoothly, too. I went to a Wizard World there years ago and I've gone to an E3, each one works. But beyond that, what leads me to believe that SDCC will move there is the shifting focus of the event. As you point out, JT, the show is now more about marketing than it ever was and, increasingly, about television/film marketing specifically, for which Los Angeles is the capital city. The studios dictate, it seems, the broadening appeal of the event and, as you also mention, SDCC shows no signs of pulling the focus back to its core attraction - comics. I can find, therefore, no better option for the organizers, should they decide to move, than to bring the show to LA. Though I'd save on hotel and transportation costs (I'm literally a short metro ride away), I don't relish the show moving away from San Diego. But I'd wager if it does come, the first year's rise in attendance, widening of publicity, and new standard of studio participation will make the organizers wonder why they waited so long to pull the trigger.

I'm not a parent or husband, so this analogy comes from pure speculation, but if my household grew to where the number of my children could no longer fit into my car, I doubt I'd find much support for continuing to stuff them in the trunk of my beloved Altima just because I refuse to give the car up. Maybe I could afford to put in a sun roof or trick out the interior to squeeze in another car seat, but the attachment to my vehicle, at that point, would be sentimental, not practical.

El Chuxter
08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I disagree on LA. A lot of people who travel to Comic-Con do so because San Diego is a nice tourist spot. LA is (nothing personal to those of you who live there) a smelly parking lot, and this extends to the surrounding cities for miles in all directions. I'd be less likely to go to a convention there.

But I'd LOVE for the movie crap to split off from Comic-Con and move to LA, leaving an actual comic convention. :)

The Chargers, as I understand it, demanded that Qualcomm Stadium be redone to be a better football stadium, making it useless to the Padres, who had to move downtown. Then they started making more demands. It seems a lot like the Charlotte/Hornets situation, where a team is demanding more concessions from the city than the revenue they bring in justifies.

JediTricks
08-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I can't see CCI (Comic Con International) going anywhere like LA or Anaheim or Long Beach. For one thing, none of them have the facilities to handle it any better than the SD convention center right now. Anaheim is currently running the west coast version of Wizard World LA that's been renamed "Anaheim Comic Con" and it's not much (WWLA got renamed because it tanked in '09). Anaheim is probably the only area that could afford to rebuild to a larger convention center and likely the only one to get the land to do so, LA doesn't have any more room to build onto, and Long Beach CC is surrounded by beach, can't expand that way. But nobody wants Anaheim for this, it's just all wrong in so many ways (although that'd be great for me, I have free Disneyland parking and the convention center is across the street from the resort). San Fran already has WonderCon and APE, there's no reason to put CCI there as well. So the only really viable place to move to is Las Vegas, and again, JULY - LAS VEGAS - NO! But IMO, that's CCI's best card to play if they want to really leverage against San Diego's request to front some scratch for the expansion - Anaheim was a good gambit when nobody thought about it, but where are people going to eat, to spend their money by the convention center? Everything's tailored around getting people into Disneyland, not taking cabs and going to nightclubs and restaurants the way SD is.

LA CC is a decent facility, but it's really too mired in the paradoxical nature of downtown - lots of confusing, 1-way streets, not enough parking, lodging is upscale or far or dangerous (or all 3), very poor and confusing public transit options, freeways are jammed up in that area all the time. And it's not big enough, there's no getting around the fact that it's not significantly larger than SD Con Center as it is. So where's the benefit? San Diego downtown is nice, compact, centralized, has a happening nightlife, fairly clean and safe - all of which are the opposite of LA downtown.

The idea of using Staples Center or the Nokia is not a bad idea, both are substantially larger than Hall H's 6,000 people (down from last year's 6,500, apparently the eye-stab incident caused them to require a change in the layout and security barriers at the stage). I don't think the price of the Staples center will be realistic for the con though. The Nokia seems more like it, although knowing CCI they won't want to rent it on Sundays again (this year was the first year Hall H was rented on a Sunday for panels). Also, Staples Center and Nokia Theatre aren't owned by the LACC, which would make renting more difficult since it'll be across 2 contracts and will require 2 different staffs to coordinate.

"The metro stops right there", which would mean more if the metro went anywhere good from there. :p LA light rail still sucks and each rider costs the government $20 in subsidies whereas the horrible buses we have ruining our roads only cost $2 a rider subsidy, I believe. To be fair though, they're just about finished with the Expo Line light rail here in West LA, phase 1 ends at La Cienega & Jefferson, gonna be running in a couple months.

But ultimately, I can't see Comic-Con working here in LA on the scale it does in SD no matter what, LA is simply too expensive, inconvenient, dangerous, and generally unappealing to draw the way SDCC does. San Diego seems to appreciate how important CCI is to their region, LA's residents and government never would because LA has so much more going on (I was born here, but even I can admit LA is a tad overhyped on itself).

I disagree with what Chux is saying about LA though, there's nowhere to park and it doesn't smell that bad. :D But seriously, the city is massive and incredibly diverse, which means finding the parts that speak to you, in that way it's somewhat intimate, the city doesn't find you, you have to find it or even make it. You can take part in a huge community, walk a couple miles, and find an entirely new experience that has no connection to what you knew minutes before. In Hollywood, you can actually find an intersection with mansions on one side of the street and crack houses on the other, and it's up to you to decide if that works for you, either OR both. Want arts? We have fine arts, popular arts, underground arts, but you have to find it. Want sports? In LA, you can surf in the morning and snowboard in the evening.

BTW, there seems to be some misconception about Comic-Con. Comic-Con was NEVER about "only comics", from its inception it was always meant to be a diverse interest convention, just stuff that comic fans might be into, like the SCA. Since then, comic fans have gotten into: video games, tv, movies, action figures, prop replicas, cartoons, fine art, general pop culture, costuming, LARP, literary publication, and so on. If you take that stuff out of the convention, you're left with a tiny comic book convention with maybe 7,000 attendees and local comic businesses, because those who are casual fans of comics aren't hardcore fans, they might go out of their way to see all the stuff at SDCC, but they wouldn't be if it was only Jim Shooter sitting on a dais explaining stuff that happened 30 years ago - don't get me wrong, Jim Shooter is someone I dig, his is the only industry blog I read, but the reality is that he's not going to fill a 6,000 person room, or probably even a 600 person room.

The studios like Comic-Con because it's pre-targeted marketing with a group proven especially passionate about spreading the word. They are now linked, you want interest in the comic industry to continue? You need to cater to casual consumers so that as the older generation loses interest or dies off, you have someone else coming in to fill that space, otherwise in 15 years SDCC becomes about as vital as a buggy-whip convention.

El Chuxter
08-14-2011, 01:25 AM
I'll admit, there are nice areas of LA. The whole area from roughly Pomona/Anaheim west, though, I can't help but think of as "standstill traffic and nothing else," and the areas adjacent to the freeways always have a diesel stench to them because of the heavy usage.

As for Comic-Con being about comics, I know it never was 100%. Still, there's a world of difference between "we're going to show footage from this film called Star Wars that we think comic fans might like" and "check out the latest from Glee!"

JediTricks
08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Yes, Glee showing up at SDCC was bad. Like, even Twilight pretends to be about vampires, but what's the connection for Glee? Nothing except that it has fans who are obsessive - is that enough to justify getting a notable Comic-Con presence? Then again, it's pretty narrow-sighted of us to say that there's no crossover interest just because we personally don't see it, and unlike Toilight, at least Glee didn't really flood the con or ruin anything.

El Chuxter
08-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Even if there is a crossover connection, is it really appropriate at Comic-Con? I know it's a grey area, but why not say "Some comic fans read romance novels, so here's the romance novel section of the floor." You can come up with some sort of crossover between any two interests you can think of.

I didn't mean to single out Glee per se, and am not dissing it (though I personally don't care for it), but it's definitely one that makes no sense at a convention that started with comics and has expanded to include sci-fi, toys, games, and related movies and shows.

JediTricks
08-15-2011, 04:12 PM
When you and I were younger, the stuff we were into was considered too losery to be acceptable to mainstream society. Now almost every other summer movie is based on a comic book, video games and comic characters are multi-generational in appeal, and Comic-Con is the largest convention in the country for celebrating that stuff.

There already are romance novel publishers with booths at the convention, there have been I think 1 or 2 since I've been going the last 5 years.

Comic-Con started out comics, sci-fi, fantasy, and similar diverse interests, not JUST comics, so to claim that it expanded into those areas is misleading. I'm just trying to point out that while we may not like how these things affect the convention, it would be petty and hypocritical to turn others away because their geek interests aren't exactly aligned with our geek interests. I don't really see the point of having Glee there or Twilight, and I don't always like it, but I cannot claim they "shouldn't" be there. Besides, the market for these things will bear what it will bear, if the Glee fans don't make it worth the studios' while to spend the money to do that stuff at SDCC, they won't do it again the year after.

... But it seems clear that, in this case, there was sufficient crossover interest to warrant more of that one. And if it was that popular, it wasn't fans of ONLY Glee, they were able to fill Hall H with people who bought badges MONTHS in advance and got lodging or parking for the event, there's no way those were fans who had NOTHING in common with us, they were already going to SDCC before the Glee panel was announced. If you look at it that way, then basically what we're saying is "we don't think things that GIRLS like should be allowed at Comic-Con!" which is pretty silly, we're not the Lil Rascals and we don't need to put the "no gurls alowed!" sign up on the doorway, Comic-Con is no longer the He-Man Women-Hater's Club. ;)

bikerscout
08-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Toilight. <----that is friggin great!!!! I hate anything that has to do with it. So glad they put their panel early Thurs. and not late Sat or Sun. Can't imagine the debacle for Hall H if they did the latter. Would've employed a steamroller to squash the toilight idiots.

Also, can't stand Glee. (And wound up working for the premiere in Westwood 2 wknds ago). There were fans singing in the parking lot @ 4am. Ultra ultra ultra annoying. You wouldn't believe. Arrrrggghhh. My ears still hurt. Blech

Maradona
08-16-2011, 02:59 AM
If anyone wants to see what Comic Con used to be like, I recommend Wonder Con up in San Francisco. It's much smaller and more comic centered. That SDCC was not ever predominantly about comics is a deeply flawed sentiment. The assertion that anything is ever completely about one thing is also an absolute mistake. Comics were the unifying idea connecting and causing the show, hence the term Comic Con. As comics developed from a variety of sources, not the least of which was science/fantasy fiction, they've traditionally had a presence among the comic convention world. For those that have not attended SDCC in the pre-Hall H era, let me tell you that comics were the central focus of the show, not marketing. People went there and shopped for comics and stuff related to them. Halls A-D were nearly all vendors selling products, 75-90% of which were comics, and there were no Halls E-H. This was before the action figure collector period of the past dozen or so years, which has had an equally adverse effect to the show, just try walking the aisles anywhere near Hasbro or Mattel, for example. This was also before eBay, where people seemingly HAD to go to SDCC to find certain items. People don't have to wait until SDCC as much anymore if they want to buy something rare. That has reduced the vendor pool to some extent, I think, just as much as CCI selling the space to studios, changing the culture of the show from being a sort of ultimate geek flea market to being the ultimate place to market to geeks (to which I proudly profess an allegiance).

In 1994, Image had the biggest booth set up and they essentially invented the "big event" booth the year before that. Marvel was the first to follow suit the next year, with DC coming up about a year later. There were ZERO studio booths, ZERO toy company booths - the only people marketing were comics companies, and even they weren't very heavy handed with it. Do I wish this model was still the case? Am I against change? No. I don't mind studios having a presence within practical reason and I like to buy and see toys. Marketing is the chosen backbone of the event now and, I'll argue, its central focus. CCI's people don't seem to mind either, quite to the contrary. I just get upset that CCI is catering more to the studios than it ever did to comics. The mecca of comics is New York, yet CCI never considered moving the event there to facilitate greater participation by that industry. Now, CCI does cater to an industry and it is not comics, which is why I think that in the long term CCI's eventual destination is Los Angeles. I desperately hope it does not come here. But its expansion and current focus seem to indicate that direction.

I'm not a fan, but I can deal with Glee and Twilight as long as there is enough space for competing fan bases not to have to fight for space. What bothers me about the show is the consistent overcrowding of the past several years, the organizers failing to organize the vending of exclusives (the way Celebration IV did it and Mattel does it are models CCI should study), and that there has been no successful, let alone recognizable, attempt to alleviate this.

bikerscout
08-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Well said maradona.

The formula for comic-con should be 70% comics and the other 30% toys/collectibles, games, movies, & tv. In that descending order. TV had an especially big presence this year since some studios cut back their movie panels and/or didn't even show up. A real POS deal that Marvel is saving their panel for the overpriced (& nearly worthless unless u like Disney) D23 Expo.

JediTricks
08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Nobody here claimed that SDCC was never predominately about comics. What I said was that it was never ONLY about comics, that it was always meant to include diverse interests.

This year, the 12 largest booths at Comic-Con were (in order):
1) DC Comics,
2) Sideshow Collectibles,
3) Hasbro (not including HTS),
4t) Marvel Comics (tied with...),
4t) Dark Horse Comics,
6) Mattel (not including Mattel shop),
7t) Capcom (tied with...),
7t) HasbroToyShop (tied with...),
7t) LEGO (tied with...),
7t) Square Enix (tied with...),
7t) Warner Bros.
12) Image Comics

That does not count the Lucasfilm pavilion, which is technically tied as the largest booth at the con, and is the only booth with an aisle break (which I am factoring out, otherwise it is THE largest booth), but I'm not counting it because it is made up of several smaller exhibitors. Also, if you were to count HTS and Hasbro together as 1 "booth experience" booth, then Hasbro would be the largest booth at the con by a significant margin, 33% bigger than the DC booth.

In that list, we have 4 comics companies, 3 toy companies, 2 video game companies, 1 collectibles company, 1 studio, and 1 toy company's store.

In terms of panels, I'll use Thursday as my sample, so Thursday for regular "day" panels (panels that start between 10am and 6:45pm), there were a total of 144 panels, and of those, 71 of them were STRICTLY comic book panels - that is to say, panels about comic books only, not comic book-based movies or comic book-based video games or other media created by primarily-comic book authors. So, half of the panels were about comic books. Also, after 7pm, there were another 5 comic book panels.

So the idea that comics aren't still the central focus to Comic Con is a bit unrealistic IMO.

Now, if you look at the SDCC AUDIENCES, who is going to these things, that is a different story. In general, the comics panels are in rooms that are notably smaller than the non-comic ones. I personally sat through a comics panel in a room that seated over 400, and they couldn't even fill half that room.

So ultimately, I stand by my assessment that the diverse audience for Comic Con is "the problem", not the studios.

The mecca of comics is New York, yet CCI never considered moving the event there to facilitate greater participation by that industry. That would defeat the point of Comic-Con, to have a comic-fan convention on the west coast. Shel Dorf had already run a similar con specializing in comics, fantasy, and sci-fi in Detroit a few years prior, and when he moved to San Diego he wanted to create a similar con out here.

BTW, Celebration IV's store worked great for buyers, but was a disaster for the vendor. Expectation far outpaced interest, to the point where at the last minute they ended up giving away one of the exclusive Hasbro figures with Sunday ticket purchases, yet still had pallets of product left over.

Maradona
08-17-2011, 01:18 AM
BTW, Celebration IV's store worked great for buyers, but was a disaster for the vendor. Expectation far outpaced interest, to the point where at the last minute they ended up giving away one of the exclusive Hasbro figures with Sunday ticket purchases, yet still had pallets of product left over.

A huge. separate, amply stocked and service room dedicated to purchasing exclusive items during CIV "worked great" for this buyer. The vendors have to sort out what they decide to bring. There was no frantic pushing, no overwhelmed security, no lack of fair access. It was first come, first serve as opposed to whoever snuck into the exhibit hall early was allowed into exclusive lines and served before the opening of the show. Have this room exist outside the exhibit hall the way Mattel has shown is viable and SDCC would reduce tons of traffic and head aches in the exhibit hall and they could sell more space.

Your statistics about comics panels and booth sizes defends the point that comics are no longer the central focus of the Comic Con audience, which is exactly my assertion - only a third of the larger booths are comics based. Your earlier point about marketing should stand. Comic Con is Entertainment Marketing Con (guest starring comics in rooms 1-4, featuring Mark Evanier hosting 5 panels - who btw is a totally cool and well-versed guy to talk to). I remember when those panels used to be substantially more full. I've gone to several Hernandez Bros. panels over the years and they've gotten decent showings. Typically, though, comics panels are overshadowed by the mania of Hall H, which I'd be lying to claim I don't attend. This year, though, I only went for the Kevin Smith panel, but since we got there early we saw the Snow White and Oz panels. Regardless, comics are no longer the unifying idea informing the attendance to the show. I wonder how long before TMZ has a booth...