PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's 1:6 Yoda (v1) is better than Sideshow's

JediTricks
07-13-2011, 03:51 PM
IMO, of course.

I recently dragged out all my Hasbro 1:6 figures during my move, and came across ol' Yoda, the first version before the prequels or the Jedi training version. This Yoda has a less green color to him, he's got a subtle black paint wash, lively eyes without too much of any 1 type of expression, a burlap cloak with some heft and shape to it, and expressive nodding articulation. And he was, I think, $12, not $70. True, Hasbro's Yoda has fairly limited articulation and no real legs, but when I look at the pictures of SSC's Yoda, I cannot see where the $70 is going - and that's the prototype pics, I just saw what is probably a production pic in the Gree gallery: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/2183_press08-001.jpg (or if that doesn't work: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=21831&ref=home&new&preorder&affiliate=CD1384 )
and it's just all wrong, skinny and too green and the cloak looks awkward.

I didn't think much of Hasbro's Yoda when I bought him, but now that he's finally out of the box and on my shelf, I cannot imagine being bested by another version.

(I also found the prequel 1:6 Hasbro Yoda, and it's such a meh figure, and also has terrible articulation considering it cost I think $25.)

And not to harp on Sideshow too much, but how the hell are there 10 reviews of this figure on their website, all 5 stars, and it doesn't ship for another 3 months?!?

jedibear
07-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes, Hasbro did put out some decent 1:6 scale stuff, especially for the money, and Yoda was a pretty good one.

Now the Sideshow one is a little pricey, but to Sideshow's credit, they do include some alternate hands/feet, the snake accessories have wire in them to have some variety in posing, and...there's no denying that base body is damned impressive with all of those points of articulation. The costume and robe are decent enough, and finally, they do include that well-detailed log accessory that really adds some display options with the figure.

Now the one major stumble on the figure is a usual (unfortunately) one for Sideshow, and that's the paint apps. Too green and too heavy. It's not the first time that a good sculpt ends up buried under a bad factory paint app with this company....it was especially sad considering the importance of the character.

Of course, the big deal that coincided with this figure's release was the hut environment that Sideshow produced. Chock full of detail and accessories, it looked like the perfect companion piece for the figure. I took a pass on it for two main reasons....one, the size. I had no place to display this sizable piece. And two, as well-rendered as it appeared, I couldn't get past the idea that at this scale, it really just looked like a dollhouse to me. Just not something I wanted to display. Recently, photos have been turning up from folks who have finally received this piece and it too appears to have been sabotaged by lackluster paint apps. Glad I said no to this one...

But...while I still have my Hasbro version of this figure, I don't regret getting the Sideshow one. They did a decent job with the little green guy and with that base body and a new head sculpt, they should have no problem rendering a really good prequel version of him, ready for some active, dynamic poses.

Until then, here's a shot of the Sideshow "Jedi Mentor"...

JediTricks
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
So, side by side, which one is a better overall display for you? And taking the costs into account, does this SSC Yoda find its value legs at $60 plus tax & shipping?

Wasn't that SSC Yoda supposed to have hair? I don't see it in your shot, not even a hint.

Man, I can't imagine how frustrating bad paint on that Yoda's Hut set must be, that thing cost a lot and I think it's not even polystone but regular plastics.

Jayspawn
08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
I have both Yodas. I like Sideshows better -but not by much. Yoda was one of Hasbro's best. And it was made a long time ago -so mad props to Hasbro.

sergiurusu
08-13-2011, 04:34 AM
And not to harp on Sideshow too much, but how the hell are there 10 reviews of this figure on their website, all 5 stars, and it doesn't ship for another 3 months?!?

Come on, ;) you know there are so many Sideshow cheerleaders who praise SS all day and night. Besides that no bad reviews/replies are allowed on SSC site, SS simply deletes them.

Neuroleptic
08-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Anyone have a pic of this Hasbro Yoda next to the Side Show one?