PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Planet of the Apes

bigbarada
07-14-2011, 08:17 PM
They played this trailer when I went to go see X-Men: First Class and I had no idea it was a PotA movie until the logo at the very end. Looks pretty awesome to me, especially since we basically know how everything is going to end:

http://youtu.be/T3tidwW1gGM

I'm probably looking forward to this movie more than anything else right now.

sith_killer_99
07-15-2011, 12:08 AM
I saw the preview when I went to see the X-Men film as well.

Rule #1

If you create a super smart drug and lower primates become as intelligent as people, you best start administering it to humans and outsmart those b@$tards. lol

DarthQuack
07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm a huge fan of the franchise and will be going to see this day one. :)

bigbarada
07-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I didn't like Tim Burton's 2001 remake of PotA, but I grew up watching all of the old Apes movies and I've always been a big fan of the series. However, if this had just been more actors in latex masks pretending to be apes then I'd likely pass on seeing it in the theaters.

The first part of the trailer had me thinking that it was some kind of Flowers for Algernon remake with a baby monkey instead of a mouse, then things started getting darker and more interesting, so I was totally blown away to see the PotA logo at the end. Especially since we know how this is all supposed to end.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Trailer looks good! I too didn't care for Burton's PoTA, looks like this is going in a different direction.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was the second trailer, freakin' sweet man!

Beast
07-17-2011, 07:17 PM
The UK trailers are way better. They actually reveal more of the plot.

And actually show John Lithgow, who seems to be hidden or cut out of the U.S. Trailers.

I really like the John Lithgow/Ceaser interaction plot. And Lithgow being harassed leading to Ceaser snapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uil8xrrKunc

Beast
07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
By the way... there's also a prequel webcomic updated every Wednesday.

http://www.apescomics.com/

JimJamBonds
07-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Cool, thanks Beast!

sith_killer_99
07-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Cool, thanks Beast!

+1

Thank you!

Beast
07-17-2011, 09:30 PM
You're welcome. It really looks like it's going to be a great flick.

Even managed to talk my Brother into going to see it with me. So that's huge.

He doesn't like theaters. And I think the last movie we saw together was Revenge Of The Sith.

Got us each this to wear: http://media.redcatsusa.com/is/image/ksd/mc/1160_60291_mc_1515.jpg

bigbarada
07-18-2011, 08:56 AM
The UK trailers are way better. They actually reveal more of the plot.

And actually show John Lithgow, who seems to be hidden or cut out of the U.S. Trailers.

I really like the John Lithgow/Ceaser interaction plot. And Lithgow being harassed leading to Ceaser snapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uil8xrrKunc

You catch a glimpse of Lithgow in the American trailer, but it doesn't touch on their relationship much at all. I'm not sure why they didn't focus on him for the trailer. Maybe they didn't want to have too many Harry and the Hendersons associations for American audiences. That's the only reasoning I can think of, but I'm not sure if anyone even remembers that movie. Most likely they just wanted to focus more on James Franco.

Anyways, I love the UK trailer, especially the music. And thanks for the link to the webcomic, I'll definitely be keeping up with that. :cool:

I actually can't recall the last time I was this excited about an upcoming movie, I even downloaded the Chimpanzee Intelligence Test off of iTunes.:D

Beast
07-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah, the UK trailer is a huge improvement over the US one.

And yeah, you do catch a glimpse of Lithgow. But barely and for like half a second.

Beast
07-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Andy Serkis introducing an extended clip with Caesar and Lithgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTf4zomGZo

JimJamBonds
07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
I even downloaded the Chimpanzee Intelligence Test off of iTunes.:DAnd??? How'd you do?

bigbarada
07-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Andy Serkis introducing an extended clip with Caesar and Lithgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTf4zomGZo

Cool! Now a lot of stuff from the trailers is starting to make a bit more sense.

And??? How'd you do?

Well, I only played it for a little bit and I only got up to 7 out of 10. I'm pretty sure the test and the video of the chimp taking the test is just made up to hype the movie though. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if monkeys had photographic memories.

Beast
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I saw it yesterday and was blown away. I loved X-Men: First Class and Captain America, but this was honestly the best movie of the Summer by far. Probably of the year in fact. It had a perfect balance of character development and action. And for only being like an hour and 48 minutes, seemed surprisingly long. I was worried it was going to be very cut down to fit that running time, but it didn't seem it at all. The CGI was excellent and I loved all the little winks and homages to the original. My favorite was the shout-out to the original Dr. Zaius by naming the main Orangutan Maurice, since his actor from the original films was Maurice Evans.

Spoilers Follow:

I'm guessing that some humans will eventually prove to be immune to the pandemic's deadly effects. But that those survivors will be rendered mute and such. Like John Lithgow was rendered unable to speak at all during the final stages of his progressed disease after being exposed to 112. So that works.

bigbarada
08-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I saw it yesterday and was blown away. I loved X-Men: First Class and Captain America, but this was honestly the best movie of the Summer by far. Probably of the year in fact. It had a perfect balance of character development and action. And for only being like an hour and 48 minutes, seemed surprisingly long. I was worried it was going to be very cut down to fit that running time, but it didn't seem it at all. The CGI was excellent and I loved all the little winks and homages to the original. My favorite was the shout-out to the original Dr. Zaius by naming the main Orangutan Maurice, since his actor from the original films was Maurice Evans.

I worked last night, so I didn't get a chance to see it and I've already promised a friend of mine that I would go with him to see it tomorrow. I'm soooo tempted to slip out to the theater tonight and watch it though.

I made sure to check the running time because I was worried that it might run over 2.5 hours. I was surprised to see that it was only 1 hour and 50 minutes. That's good news for me tomorrow, because the show starts at 7 PM and I have to leave for work no later than 9:30 PM. I remember Transformers 3 ran long and I was forced to skip dinner and head straight to work from the theater, which annoyed the crap out of me because the movie just had too many pointless action sequences that dragged on waaaay too long. Anyways, I'm glad to hear that the short running time of POTA doesn't hurt the story.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Just saw it today. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and liked the references to the originals. Also, I didn't recognize that was Tom Felton in the movie until the credits.

I didn't mind the Tim Burton movie, but felt the ending was kind of lame unless they were to make a sequel. It didn't have the same impact as the ending of the original.

I look forward to seeing any sequels that might be made.

Beast
08-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Wow. Just Wow. Early estimates were the film was going to pull in around $36-$40 Million for opening weekend.

Current estimates have it at $53-55 Million right now. Which is just crazy. You can tag this a success.

It has a 81% Fresh Rating on Rotten Tomatoes and only cost $93 Million to make. So it really is doing amazing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2011, 01:51 PM
I saw it last night and thought it was pretty great. For one, the ape CGI was amazing, pretty perfectly integrated with the humans and actual backgrounds. I haven't seen all of the original but I know enough about it to get most of the references, and there were quite a few; the Mars space shuttle launch in the background was a nice touch and ties it in well with the original. The response to the "damn dirty ape" line was pretty damn awesome. :D It was also quite interesting to see a movie about human-animal relations where the animals were not only the good guys, but eventually the main characters.

I don't know how they could do sequels to this one; maybe the apes building their world? It could be interesting to have nothing between this one and the original, and let your mind fill in the rest. But I would like to see where Caesar goes from here.

El Chuxter
08-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I for one can't wait to see this. I might have to go by myself to the cheapie Wednesday matinee, since no one else in my family is excited about it or is old enough to watch it. I can tell it's going to totally maim the backstory of the original films, but, hey, they've been doing that since the first sequel. These movies are awesome (well, the first one is awesome, the second is quite good, and the other ones are good, goofy fun), but trying to come up with a timeline that holds together would fall apart immediately.

If they want to do sequels, it might be interesting to show how this movie gets to the time of the original film, perhaps using the idea that, once Cornelius and Zira traveled to the 1970s, it created a "new" timeline that's seen in the first four sequels. Or perhaps some sort of "origin story" for Dr Zaius.

It'd be interesting to see sequels to the 2001 film made concurrently (since that was the original plan, though Burton didn't want to actually direct any sequels himself), as well as a separate film that's almost 100% faithful to the original novel, but I don't see it ever happening. Or perhaps an intentionally goofy remake of Time of the Apes, the immeasurably crappy knockoff that MST3K spoofed.

Beast
08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
It's a total reboot Chux, so no worries about maiming the backstory. It's like Star Trek's reboot.

Though you can technically say that it could fit in the universe. Just the original timeline before Escape.

bigbarada
08-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Watched it this afternoon and I thought it was awesome! I actually had to remind myself occasionally that the apes were all computer-generated (I don't think they used a single real ape throughout the entire film). I'm starting to think that WETA has become the new ILM. It seems like they are surpassing Industrial Light & Magic in every way and Lucas' company is just playing catch up.

Anyways, I'm planning to see it again in the theaters and I also hope we see a sequel really soon.

El Chuxter
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Like I said, there's not been a backstory that lasted more than the span of a single movie. :)

Beast
03-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Awesome! I was so hoping we would have gotten a toy line for the movie.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HIY10000&mode=retail

At lest we're getting a highly detailed 5" super-poseable version of Caesar. Sold.

Weird to see it coming out so long after the movie. But I am happy regardless. I assume the success took everyone by surprise. Hence why it took so long to get any real merchandise like this out on the market.

El Chuxter
03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Hmm, I never commented on this one, did I?

It was awesome. It was as awesome as most remakes and updates are distilled suck.

I'm not one for remakes, but I truthfully wouldn't mind--and would even like--this to lead to a remake of the original that's more in line with Rise visually and tonally.

sith_killer_99
03-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Awesome! I was so hoping we would have gotten a toy line for the movie.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HIY10000&mode=retail

At lest we're getting a highly detailed 5" super-poseable version of Caesar. Sold.

Weird to see it coming out so long after the movie. But I am happy regardless. I assume the success took everyone by surprise. Hence why it took so long to get any real merchandise like this out on the market.

Ugh, those arms look horrible!

Beast
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Ugh, those arms look horrible!
The one closest to the camera does look a bit odd, but I am betting that's due to how they have it posed.

As the arm at the back doesn't look that wonky. So I'm guessing it's just posed awkwardly.

bigbarada
03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Either that or it's a prototype and the joints don't fit together as tightly as the production version will. Anyways, looks pretty cool.