PDA

View Full Version : SDCC 2011 Questions for Hasbro?

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I've split this thread off from the regular Q&A thread so we can have a little more conversation on the matter as SDCC comes up, especially since some of these questions aren't really fully gestated yet. Pardon any oddities from the copied posts not making 100% sense, they're coming from a different thread.

Also, any suggestions for stuff I could ask Hasbro at Comic-Con? If we don't get some solid suggestions, we'll have to pass up the opportunity.

El Chuxter
07-17-2011, 12:28 PM
JT, I hate to harp on it, but do you think possibly asking about the wonky distribution across all the "boys' lines" the past year might be more appropriate in person than via the Q&A?

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm biased of course, because it's my question, but I think #7 would be a good one to ask in person at Comic Con because you could show them where we imagine things connecting and explain or reasoning a little more to prevent any confusion or misunderstanding.

I also wanted to remind you that we had considered asking about whatever happened to the funeral pyre Vader if it isn't shown as one of this year's exclusives.My only concern with asking questions currently on the list is we have almost no questions left as it is, but I'll consider using question 7 if I get the opportunity:
7) - The Force FX lightsabers are targeted at adult collectibles, for a group who generally desire accuracy in their prop collectibles, and yet the latest ROTS Obi-Wan's lightsaber with removable blade suffers a big inaccuracy due to the blade needing to be securely anchored. However, with your removable-blade designs, you've started using dummy parts to fill in the removed blades, and we wonder if you'd consider for future thin-necked lightsabers like Luke ROTJ and Obi-Wan having the removable blade take the entire thick "neck" with it and having a more accurate thin-necked dummy design replace it. That much weight anchoring has been accomplished before in the thick metal coupler for the Maul saber halves that screwed together, on these thin-neck sabers the neck could screw down to the top part of the grip. That would let collectors have their cake and eat it too by giving an accurate hilt prop display with the thin neck, while still having the light-up blade play using the thick neck. So has there been any consideration for that sort of thing, and might it be seen in future Force FX sabers when needed?

Thanks for the reminder on Funeral Pyre Vader. They were shopping it, so we were waiting to hear.

JT, I hate to harp on it, but do you think possibly asking about the wonky distribution across all the "boys' lines" the past year might be more appropriate in person than via the Q&A?Marvel's had great distribution. :rolleyes: But I hear ya. Can you give me any focus points to ask more specifically of the SW team? Distribution is definitely a huge problem for TF, GI Joe, and SW, so we're wondering if it's systemic or just a trio of bad timing.

I also wanted to ask about the increased pricing being a source of trouble for the line.

Oh, and I guess a question about the Starfighter Vehicle asst going down in flames this year, assuming it's not addressed at the panel.

Good, now we're on our way. More would be great.

El Chuxter
07-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Maybe pointing out that an awful lot of stores have gotten nothing since last fall's AOTC wave, and I can't think of a single store I've been to that's not swamped with 4-LOMs and Dengars.

If you're asking about the price increase, it might be a good idea to incorporate the whole "what the hell is the logic of selling the same character in 'Legends' [or whatever it's called this week] and Vintage, with a $2 price difference?"

And, on a related note, maybe point out that for some collectors (not all, I know, but I'm not entirely alone on this), the $9-$11 price point has crossed a "make or break" point, making people far more selective and less likely to buy resculpts aside from the most sorely needed ones.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2011, 01:59 PM
The points I brought up about Saga Legends might be better suited for an in-person conversation than a question here, given that there are multiple angles to go over and I'd like to hear about them all. The points being: a reversal on not having the same characters in both SL and the main line; the so-called "ceiling" on certain figures, like Anakin and Obi-Wan, finally being hit; what SL's current purpose is when TVC also has a mix of main characters and army builders with occasional background characters, and how that compares to its purpose in the past, which was always to supplement the other lines and ensure that certain characters were always around, which is what TVC is now doing.

I also wonder if asking about constantly selling a plain white ROTS clone would be good for an in-person conversation as well. They've never really addressed that there are only two plain white clones in the entire film.

Oh, and another one; this one can be either here or at the con:
*While the ARC Trooper Commander (aka Captain Fordo) figure and most of his accessories are sculpted in a very realistic style that fits with the rest of the realistic-styled figures from the Clone Wars micro-series, the Phase II helmet is sculpted in a very stylized manner that skews quite closely to the simple, angular designs of the cartoon. It seems that Tartakovsky and co. had meant for Fordo's Phase II helmet to be similar to that of Commander Neyo, simply adapted to their style of animation. Why was such a stylized approach taken for the sculpting of the helmet, when nothing of this manner has been done on previous realistic micro-series figures? Will we see a more realistic, Neyo-style helmet included with a re-release of the figure?

For reference, here is the figure (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/galleries/2011/Review_CaptainFordoTVC/images/Review_CaptainFordoTVC09.jpg), here is Fordo in the micro-series (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090818211761/starwars/images/7/74/Fordoblaster.JPG), and here is Commander Neyo (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070928145361/starwars/images/3/35/Neyo.jpg).

bigbarada
07-19-2011, 09:19 AM
New question:
Prototypes for TVC wave 8 (including Kithaba, Nom Anor, Aayla Secura and Dr. Evazan) were shown at Toy Fair 2011 and we were initially given a release date somewhere between June and August 2011. However, July is nearly over and wave 7 (Bespin Han, RFT, Bom Vimdin, etc.) is just starting to hit stores in considerable numbers. Now online retailers are giving case breakdowns of wave 8 and 9 and both waves are taken up almost entirely by the Revenge of the Jedi subline with no word on the status of the original wave 8 assortment. Considering how, from a collector standpoint, TVC has been struggling just to survive at retail, with new figures being so difficult to find that many collectors are just throwing in the towel; it's difficult to understand the logic behind clogging the pegs with two more waves of figures that consist almost entirely of repacks. So, what was the thinking behind the decision to postpone several highly requested figures to make space for a repack-subline that, quite frankly, NOBODY was asking for?

El Chuxter
07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
If BigB's question is added, I'll change my vote from 4 to that one.

I'd change both my votes to that one if I could. :D

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm not adding it only because I am 100% sure they will address it at Comic-Con this week, and if they don't, then I'll simply ask it in person if I can.

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 10:36 PM
A slight rewrite on the FX question:
As you've discussed in the past, the Force FX lightsabers are targeted at adult collectors, for a group who generally desire accuracy in their prop collectibles, and yet the latest ROTS Obi-Wan's lightsaber with removable blade suffers a big inaccuracy: due to the blade needing to be securely anchored, the neck of the hilt is excessively wide. However, with your removable-blade designs, you're using dummy parts to fill in the removed blades, and we wonder if you'd consider for future thin-necked lightsabers like Luke ROTJ and Obi-Wan having the removable blade take the entire thick "neck" with it and having a more accurate thin-necked dummy design replace it. That much weight anchoring has been accomplished before in the thick metal coupler for the Maul saber halves that screwed together, on these thin-neck sabers the neck could screw down to the top part of the grip. That would let collectors have their cake and eat it too by giving an accurate hilt prop display with the thin neck, while still having the light-up blade play using the thick neck. So has there been any consideration for that sort of thing, and might it be seen in future Force FX sabers when needed?

I'm, going to be writing up more interview questions now and will try to keep you guys in the loop, but I've run out of time and gotten not much help with these this year.

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm thinking about asking the "Sgt Bric, uh, why?" question.

Sgt. Bric's initial cartoon outing turned out to be kind of a bust. The character was an unmemorable jerk and didn't really add anything to his storyline. In fact, if not for the action figure you guys did, he'd be a complete nobody in 2010. And on top of that, the postage on his set when it arrived in Los Angeles was a whopping $5.15, so after the cost of the box and the handling, just getting it out the door probably ate the entire $6.99 right there. Combine that with the fancy packaging and the battle mat, and the fact that he's 100% new tooling with some pricey-looking (for CW) paint, and it seems like Bric's quite an expensive promotional venture for Hasbro to have undertaken... all for a minor jerk of a character. What is it about Bric that made you choose him for a big Clone Wars mail-away promo figure?

And the "why all troopers gotta be white?" question.
The plethora of white clones and sandtroopers that have shipped with every wave so far this year are having some problems getting out the doors of major retailers. Also, repainted clones such as Gree and the orange clone trooper do not seem to have the same problem building up on the pegs. A while back you told us that Hasbro bean counters were cracking down on running-change figures, but having different pauldron colors for the sandtrooper in different waves, and repainting the episode 2 (sergeant and officer colors) and episode 3 clones (many different units to choose from) in different color schemes for different waves would have almost definitely helped alleviate the oversupply/under demand problems for these figures. Please don't read this as us asking for more clones and sandtroopers as right now we do think it's overkill, but since recent and future waves still seem to be pushing these stalled figures, do you think the recent issues are enough to give the "no running changes" policy another look for troubled trooper figures?

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 10:59 PM
And another one in the can...

- What happened with the electronic Funeral Pyre Darth Vader set you showed off the prototype of a couple years ago? Last we heard, it was being shopped around to various retailers, but hadn't quite found a home. That news is pretty old though, so are there any updates on the set, good news or bad?

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Not my finest work...

Hasbro's boys toys were really on a roll the last few years, not just Star Wars, but Transformers and GI Joe as well. Then over the last 9 months or so, distribution on all 3 of those iconic action figure lines seemed to take a significant tumble with the big retailers. Lots more backed up product, canceled items, and limited releases abound. It's to the point now where if it doesn't have immediate entertainment support, it seems like it is falling to the wayside. Has this been a systemic problem for Hasbro, or 3 separate cases of unfortunate problems all culminating around the same time? Is something being done to address the issue(s)?

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Now I'm just pushing my luck, this one ends so horribly I can only hope we don't even have to get to that part of the question...

- Last Fall, Hasbro finally had to bite the bullet and raise pricing across the line, both movie product and Clone Wars. Retailers seemed to take an odd approach with the raised prices, showing many instances where they'd set a price even a dollar or two higher than what Hasbro was aiming for. Now the main line Vintage Collection figures go for $9 to $11 at the major retailers, Clone Wars figures go from $7 to $9.50 at the major retailers (that $9.50 price I've personally seen at several different Target stores the last few months, mostly in higher-traffic cities outside Los Angeles), and pricing on bigger stuff that was still key to the line, like Starfighter Vehicles and Battle Packs, are jumping up around $28 to $30 at the big retailers. Pricing has always been a challenge, it's even part of what did in the original Kenner line back in '85, but it seems to some collectors like right now that pricing has gone beyond what the market will bear for little 3.75-inch Star Wars figures. Saga Legends, once a powerhouse for the Star Wars line with casual collectors and kids, now seems to be stagnating, and both Target and Walmart stores in my area have clearanced them out, taking the SKU off their shelves. Both casual collector interest and even fan interest seems to have finally found the "make or break" point with the new pricepoints - even I have found myself unable to pull the trigger on figures I would have purchased a couple years back without even immediately noticing it was forcing me to rethink the purchase of newly-found figures, to be far more discerning about what I was considering buying and not buying. Does Hasbro view the pricing situation for Star Wars anywhere near the view we collectors are seeing?

edit: I added a little to it.

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 11:21 PM
This one just came to me...

- Lucasfilm is all of a sudden talking about the February 2012 cinema release of Episode I in 3D as an experiment, one that, should it not live up to their expectations (we're not sure if that means in quality or in box office), will end the Saga's re-release train then and there. They've also said that the live-action TV series is on hold a few more years. Should the 3D release not pan out, that would leave only the Blu-Ray release coming up this Fall as major entertainment support for the brand. Granted, Hasbro's Star Wars line has survived plenty of waves without entertainment support, but the state of the toy industry seems more brutal, more dire than before. What is Hasbro looking forward to using as support for the main Star Wars movie line should the 3D movie release not pan out? Hasbro hasn't done any major advertising for the main Star Wars movie line in a while that I know of, might there be a renewed push into that realm?

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Another one that I'd like to know about...

- Most collectors still haven't really gotten a significant experience with the new Vintage Collection waves that do away with theming. Can you touch a little more on how those new non-themed waves are planned out? Is it harder to find a "voice" for creating a wave that way, or is it freeing not to have to come up with a bunch of figures all centered around a single concept that have to be ready to go at the exact same time?

Wow, I wrote that question in a single minute?!? Nice to have a little flow going for a change. I'll try for a few more. We're up to 8 questions, last year I asked about 14 questions, and it was quite a long interview, but I had a lot more policy questions at the time, and a lot less negativity.

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 11:29 PM
This one I've put at the top right now, but I'm not sure if it'll stay there...

- Assuming this doesn't get touched on during the panel, since the release of the ROTJ wave last Fall, there really hasn't been much product for either line making a big appearance on shelves at any major retailer. Many waves have come and gone in very small, sporadic, scattered numbers. What is happening with the spotty distribution this year? I've got a few questions below which touch on the specifics of what we think is going on, so if you'd like, we can come back to this one after those.
----

I could really use some more input on that one, but I'm printing it out as-is in a few minutes because I'm about to pack up so I can drive down there in the morning.

JediTricks
07-19-2011, 11:41 PM
More shoddy work from ol' JT.

- A question a lot of our readers have been kicking around in our Q&A voting thread is the issue of characters appearing in the Saga Legends line around the same time that they appear in The Vintage Collection - Anakin and Obi-Wan, Luke ESB Pilot, and the AOTC and ROTS Clones immediately spring to mind. The Saga Legends versions are $2 cheaper than their TVC counterparts, and sometimes are even superior in some ways - look at the helmet situation on the TVC Episode III clones compared to the properly-sized, never-green, correctly-painted Saga Legends clone that's also cheaper and comes with a stand and a pack of extra weapons. What is the cause of those counter-planned characters, and are they cannibalizing sales from each other as we suspect? Do you think a ceiling has been hit on the number of Anakins and Clones the casual consumer market will bear?

JediTricks
07-20-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't know what is going on, I'm listening to SW music as I write, but by the tone on these questions, you'd think I was listening to death metal.

- Again, assuming this wasn't explained at the panel... at your Toy Fair panel, you had protypes for TVC 2011 wave 4 (aka TVC wave 8) as Evazan, Kithaba, Aayla Secura, a 501st trooper, and Nom Anor - good stuff. However, recent e-tailer case breakdowns are showing cases for wave 8 as having none of those figures in either the original or the Ratio 1 case, instead being focused mainly on Revenge of the Jedi figures. Wave 9, with Ponda Baba, the Rebel Echo Base Trooper, and Bastila Shan, seems to be back on track but the rest of the case is mainly revisits of those Revenge of the Jedi figures. Are the case breakdowns we've seen accurate? If so, what happened to all the wave 8 figures? And why such a heavy focus on the Revenge carded figures? If there's a shortage of new figures which led to that late change, why not slip in Wedge and the Gamorrean and the like, truly sought-after figures, instead of just another pass at recarded figures?

----

That makes a dozen questions, I think I'll stop there before they punch me in the face for saying these words to them. But I really may not ask some of these for that reason, and I am hoping we'll get some more upbeat, positive questions we can ask. Policy questions especially. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

JediTricks
07-20-2011, 12:02 AM
I don't know what is going on, I'm listening to SW music as I write, but by the tone on these questions, you'd think I was listening to death metal.

- Again, assuming this wasn't explained at the panel... at your Toy Fair panel, you had protypes for TVC 2011 wave 4 (aka TVC wave 8) as Evazan, Kithaba, Aayla Secura, a 501st trooper, and Nom Anor - good stuff. However, recent e-tailer case breakdowns are showing cases for wave 8 as having none of those figures in either the original or the Ratio 1 case, instead being focused mainly on Revenge of the Jedi figures. Wave 9, with Ponda Baba, the Rebel Echo Base Trooper, and Bastila Shan, seems to be back on track but the rest of the case is mainly revisits of those Revenge of the Jedi figures. Are the case breakdowns we've seen accurate? If so, what happened to all the wave 8 figures? And why such a heavy focus on the Revenge carded figures? If there's a shortage of new figures which led to that late change, why not slip in Wedge and the Gamorrean and the like, truly sought-after figures, instead of just another pass at recarded figures?

----

That makes a dozen questions, I think I'll stop there before they punch me in the face for saying these words to them. But I really may not ask some of these for that reason, and I am hoping we'll get some more upbeat, positive questions we can ask. Policy questions especially. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

El Chuxter
07-20-2011, 01:39 AM
- Assuming this doesn't get touched on during the panel, since the release of the ROTJ wave last Fall, there really hasn't been much product for either line making a big appearance on shelves at any major retailer.
Truth is, at least around here, the ROTJ wave was only released in relatively small numbers. The AOTC wave was the last to get anything resembling "widespread" release.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Truth is, at least around here, the ROTJ wave was only released in relatively small numbers. The AOTC wave was the last to get anything resembling "widespread" release.
For most people, AOTC (wave 4) was harder to find than ROTJ (wave 3). I think that wave 3 shipped fine but got bought in the holiday shuffle, while wave 4 just barely shipped at all, at least from what I've seen.

El Chuxter
07-20-2011, 01:53 AM
You're right... I was thinking the ROTS wave. The AOTC wave was pretty spotty; I wanted the Outlander Disguise Anakin and Padme, and they had really sucky paint on the only ones I saw.

Most stores I see still have armies of 4-LOM, Dengar, Obi-Wan, Sandtrooper, and Clonetrooper, with the occasional Cloud Car Pilot and General Grievous. It's like the freakin' Arctic Destro from the GIJoe Pursuit of Cobra line. That fellow gives the ol' Neimoidian Guard a run for his money.

bigbarada
07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Now I'm just pushing my luck, this one ends so horribly I can only hope we don't even have to get to that part of the question...

- Last Fall, Hasbro finally had to bite the bullet and raise pricing across the line, both movie product and Clone Wars. Retailers seemed to take an odd approach with the raised prices, showing many instances where they'd set a price even a dollar or two higher than what Hasbro was aiming for. Now the main line Vintage Collection figures go for $9 to $11 at the major retailers, Clone Wars figures go from $7 to $9.50 at the major retailers (that $9.50 price I've personally seen at several different Target stores the last few months, mostly in higher-traffic cities outside Los Angeles), and pricing on bigger stuff that was still key to the line, like Starfighter Vehicles and Battle Packs, are jumping up around $28 to $30 at the big retailers. Pricing has always been a challenge, it's even part of what did in the original Kenner line back in '85, but it seems to some collectors like right now that pricing has gone beyond what the market will bear for little 3.75-inch Star Wars figures. Saga Legends, once a powerhouse for the Star Wars line with casual collectors and kids, now seems to be stagnating, and both Target and Walmart stores in my area have clearanced them out, taking the SKU off their shelves. Both casual collector interest and even fan interest seems to have finally found the "make or break" point with the new pricepoints - even I have found myself unable to pull the trigger on figures I would have purchased a couple years back without even immediately noticing it was forcing me to rethink the purchase of newly-found figures, to be far more discerning about what I was considering buying and not buying. Does Hasbro view the pricing situation for Star Wars anywhere near the view we collectors are seeing?

edit: I added a little to it.

Maybe you could end it with something like:
Does Hasbro believe that we have finally reached, or even surpassed, the ceiling of what consumers are willing to pay for 3.75" Star Wars figures?

DarkJedi5
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Hope it's not too late but this just occurred to me.... But since there's not a lot of chatter over on actionfigs.com (and I assume you guys are still involved in that site in some way) I was wondering if there's any chance you'd ask the Marvel team about the fate of the Super Hero Squad. With the Galactic Heroes being discontinued and the terrible distribution the SHS line is having I've been starting to worry. Especially with so many great figures shown over the years but never released or not released in large numbers. It was just a thought, it's the only non-Star Wars thing at Comic Con I have any interest in.

El Chuxter
07-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Not a SW question, but any chance you can ask what the logic was for the TF line to use an old ROTF SKU for the new Reveal the Shield line? It resulted in most of the figures being HTF, since stores were clogged with Mudflap and Skids. And it also resulted in some figures getting clearanced out the minute they hit shelves (I saw this at at least two Targets).

sebillba
07-21-2011, 02:18 AM
The only thing I really want to know is if the exclusive Indy set will see any sort of release in the UK - any chance you could sneak this question in for me please JT?

DarkJedi5
07-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Hope it's not too late but this just occurred to me.... But since there's not a lot of chatter over on actionfigs.com (and I assume you guys are still involved in that site in some way) I was wondering if there's any chance you'd ask the Marvel team about the fate of the Super Hero Squad. With the Galactic Heroes being discontinued and the terrible distribution the SHS line is having I've been starting to worry. Especially with so many great figures shown over the years but never released or not released in large numbers. It was just a thought, it's the only non-Star Wars thing at Comic Con I have any interest in.

Looks like a moot point now... RIP Super Hero Squad.

Droid
07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
You're better are phrasing things than I am, but I wonder if you could diplomatically get them to admit that every year they promise more figures than come, then the last wave or two figures of the year get shoved into the next year. It happens EVERY YEAR. I cannot for the life of me understand why they can't coordinate about a wave every few months or maybe a spring and pre-Christmas flood each year.

Also, why is when they launch a new line of figures they always let the first wave be shipped in such huge quanitites that it chokes off future waves. It happens every time there is a new line.

And what happened to Kithaba and Evazan?

Is Wedge in the all too common situation that they hope to "find a slot for Wedge again some day" or will they just put that figure in a wave and ship it rather than acting like it had its chance somehow, or worse, try to convince us it shipped in the same numbers as other figures?

bigbarada
07-21-2011, 09:03 PM
And what happened to Kithaba and Evazan?

That's the main thing I'm wondering at this point. At least the cards for Aayla, the 501st Clone and Nom Anor were visible on the Ponda/Hoth Rebel/Bastilla cardbacks.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-22-2011, 05:18 PM
As you have probably seen by now, the Evazan wave has been pushed back to early 2012, joining 23 other figures in the Vintage Collection in January and February (including the Walmart exclusive TPM wave). So even though the rest of 2011 is light in that area, the first part of 2012 should make up for it.

JT, if it's not too late for you to see this, any chance you could slip in a question about Vintage Jar Jar? They mentioned him a while ago, but even in the 18 TPM TVC figures next year, he's not included. They might reveal this later, but I want to know now, damn it. :p

JediTricks
08-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Let me first apologize for not getting back to you guys sooner. Last week took me a long time to decompress from Comic-Con, and real life stuff kept coming up to distract me. My left achilles tendon still aches. :p

Now, as to the interview, while I got a commitment from Hasbro early on to do an interview with Derryl and Jeff (Derryl has turned over some responsibility for the line, and all of the Q&A, to the new guy Jeff), the timing never got worked out, and after the rather frustratingly-thin panel, I became disheartened to try to push my way through (I had a very busy schedule this year). When I finally showed up on Sunday to do the interview, Derryl was out of the booth for the rest of the day, and I didn't see Jeff around, and didn't really want to whip the Hasbro people into a frenzy finding him and getting him back to the booth, I also didn't want to do an interview with just him - his type of answers so far have been far too much unsatisfying corporate doublespeak, cheerleading, and obfuscation rather than trying to really communicate WITH the fans, and I find that to be so frustrating that I am nearly at the end of my rope with Hasbro Q&A for both Star Wars and Transformers (TF has been on hiatus this year, I had been fighting to get it back alongside Hunter, but Hasbro's TF team is just now changing hands so it's still a hold situation).

So now I find myself in a frustrating situation which I'm bringing to you guys. I have a lot of these questions written out and ready to go still, but I have very little interest left in putting my hard work into pursuing Q&A only to get mediocre answers - I just went through that with Transformers and it left me almost ready to abandon that line altogether as a collector, I don't think my SW collecting world could handle that sort of thing since it's already rockier right now.

I haven't even bothered to gather questions from other sites, it's a very time-consuming endeavor and there doesn't seem to be any reward to weeding out questions when the answers are such a waste of our time.

At this point for running Q&A, I have a new system in place that's working pretty well, but the air is quickly being let out of the balloon. I've stayed with it as long as I have trying to serve our community, but with so few people participating (because realistically, there's no longer a reward to do so with these answers), it seems like I'm now just a hindrance to the few folks who want to keep trying.

I'm just blathering on, I don't know what my point is. Moving to the new place has buried my collection in boxes, I don't really have anyplace to put my stuff now, so SW feels easy to walk away from, but I don't want to do that simply because it's inconvenient to figure out. Q&A has been a big deal in my life for the last 5 years, I've prided myself on using journalistic skills and integrity to edit your great questions, I think that came through perfectly in last year's SDCC interview where our heightened understanding of the line was able to break through so many layers to dig incredibly deep into the core of how the line works (and that's a massive testament to Derryl's ability to answer honestly and thoroughly with the fans), but now that there's no payoff, how do I ramp down without just turning it off, or do I just try to keep going as it is?

Not a SW question, but any chance you can ask what the logic was for the TF line to use an old ROTF SKU for the new Reveal the Shield line? It resulted in most of the figures being HTF, since stores were clogged with Mudflap and Skids. And it also resulted in some figures getting clearanced out the minute they hit shelves (I saw this at at least two Targets).I already know what the answer to that is. Hasbro wanted to keep the movie line SKU alive with retailers until the new movie came out, they wanted to make sure TF had a significant footprint on shelves in the "off year", and they didn't think PCC could cover that alone. So RTS was basically stealing product from Generations to ensure that the movie line's SKU stayed alive on shelves. It was, IMO, entirely stupid and led to a painful amount of product padding (mainly excessive repaints to fill half-thought-out waves) when there was already too much TF backing up.

DarkJedi5
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Naturally the choice is up to you JT, whether to continue your involvement in the Q&A or not, but I would like to make two points:

First, I feel like the Q&A is still an interesting and exciting place to share our thoughts with Hasbro. As someone who has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this hobby, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the line and how I think it could be better. The Q&A is my opportunity to share these ideas in a way that lets me know my idea actually got in front of someone (instead of being swallowed up in some customer support black hole) and that the idea arrives with a little extra momentum having been agreed upon by other collectors. Take the FX lightsaber question I keep pushing as an example of this. I saw a flaw in the product they were making and figured out a way to make it better, in my own opinion. We voted on the idea a few times (though it never made it into a Q&A) and if it is asked then I know the right people at Hasbro will see the suggestion and if even they don't follow the suggestion to the letter, then maybe at least I got them to see it my way.

Second, I think the Q&A is useful to them, and not just any Q&A, but ours. The way you edit the questions and present them demonstrates not only a true understanding of the line, but of the challenges faced in the toy business in general. You help us communicate that we understand this is a business while still asking valid and pointed questions. How many other sites settle for an "are you making this figure" or a "how come the figure I want isn't available in my area?" We have risen above questions of that sort because you moderate and edit to make sure we have a question that asks something meaningful. Because of this we demonstrate that somewhere out there, there is a group of collectors who are in this line for the long haul. We are not just waiting to see if they'll make the next silly fan-favorite of the month or our childhood favorite and suddenly decide our collection is complete. In reading through the Q&A questions every month, I really feel like we represent the only thoughtful and stable collector audience that participates and that comes through all because of JT.

I understand that moving is a pain in the rear (this is the first summer in four years that I have not moved) and I understand that having the collection out of sight and out of mind does decrease its appeal (didn't buy a single figure in the years I was away at college cause I just didn't think about it and paid through the nose to back fill the holes in my collection). I also agree that their recent Q&A answers lack the helpful insight and honesty that we had become accustomed to over the years and that this past SDCC did not supply the kind of excitement we've seen in years past. If all of this has caused you to rethink your interest in being involved in the Q&A then we cannot force you to continue your roll as moderator and question editor. If this is the case, I ask you to take just a temporary leave of absence. You could appoint a capable replacement and take a few months to get settled in and see if, in unpacking that collection, the spark comes back. I would bet that it does.

JediTricks
08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Naturally the choice is up to you JT, whether to continue your involvement in the Q&A or not, but I would like to make two points:

First, I feel like the Q&A is still an interesting and exciting place to share our thoughts with Hasbro. As someone who has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this hobby, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the line and how I think it could be better. The Q&A is my opportunity to share these ideas in a way that lets me know my idea actually got in front of someone (instead of being swallowed up in some customer support black hole) and that the idea arrives with a little extra momentum having been agreed upon by other collectors. Take the FX lightsaber question I keep pushing as an example of this. I saw a flaw in the product they were making and figured out a way to make it better, in my own opinion. We voted on the idea a few times (though it never made it into a Q&A) and if it is asked then I know the right people at Hasbro will see the suggestion and if even they don't follow the suggestion to the letter, then maybe at least I got them to see it my way.I share your feeling here and have always felt like Q&A was a great vessel for that, but I don't feel like Jeff is listening the same way, we're not getting thoughtful answers anymore and it makes me feel like nobody is listening to what we're saying. The answers we get ignore 75% of what we're talking about, so are those thoughts getting through, or is he now just the bouncer at the door, politely turning our ideas away? I don't know, but I know how it feels - we got the last batch of answers at Comic-Con, Steve and I were in the Hilton lobby finishing up work for the coverage so we could go to late dinner when he emailed them to me, I wanted to put them up right away, and by the time I was halfway through I felt like I had totally wasted my time and screwed up dinner just so I could get this disappointment to you guys:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/331-SSG-s-Monthly-Hasbro-Q-A-July-22nd-2011
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm selling Jeff way short and he's just not really versed in how to communicate with his consumer base yet, but the way it FEELS is a waste of efforts. I was going to ask the FX Saber question at SDCC, but after the lackluster panel and the mediocre Q&A program answers we got that night, it seemed like if they weren't going to make any effort, why should I break my back even further to try to help them get the word out to their consumer base? I tried, but I didn't try as hard.

Second, I think the Q&A is useful to them, and not just any Q&A, but ours. The way you edit the questions and present them demonstrates not only a true understanding of the line, but of the challenges faced in the toy business in general. You help us communicate that we understand this is a business while still asking valid and pointed questions. How many other sites settle for an "are you making this figure" or a "how come the figure I want isn't available in my area?" We have risen above questions of that sort because you moderate and edit to make sure we have a question that asks something meaningful. Because of this we demonstrate that somewhere out there, there is a group of collectors who are in this line for the long haul. We are not just waiting to see if they'll make the next silly fan-favorite of the month or our childhood favorite and suddenly decide our collection is complete. In reading through the Q&A questions every month, I really feel like we represent the only thoughtful and stable collector audience that participates and that comes through all because of JT.I absolutely agree, but the new guy doesn't seem to care, all we get are non-answers. We're helping them sell product and keep customers on the bubble from straying away from the line, and that apparently doesn't matter anymore to Hasbro. I appreciate the kind words sent my way very much, I haven't made any decisions on this matter for just that reason, but it is so frustrating to watch my hard work, and more importantly, all of YOUR hard work get tossed aside after so many years of being so effective.

I understand that moving is a pain in the rear (this is the first summer in four years that I have not moved) and I understand that having the collection out of sight and out of mind does decrease its appeal (didn't buy a single figure in the years I was away at college cause I just didn't think about it and paid through the nose to back fill the holes in my collection). I also agree that their recent Q&A answers lack the helpful insight and honesty that we had become accustomed to over the years and that this past SDCC did not supply the kind of excitement we've seen in years past. If all of this has caused you to rethink your interest in being involved in the Q&A then we cannot force you to continue your roll as moderator and question editor. If this is the case, I ask you to take just a temporary leave of absence. You could appoint a capable replacement and take a few months to get settled in and see if, in unpacking that collection, the spark comes back. I would bet that it does.My collection isn't out of sight or mind actually, all 30 f'ing moving boxes of it are in my bedroom so I wake up to my collection every day, just as a burden rather than a display. It's funny but disheartening at the same time (actually, there are shelves I have set up to take some of that collection, but they're BEHIND all the boxes :p).

Let me ask you, you guys have had a chance to read the Q&A from the last round, I still haven't, are there ANY good answers in there? I'll probably gather the questions tonight and get the Q&A voting thread in order afterwards, but I've been saying that for days, and only slightly ramping closer to it, is there something that would really jazz things?

As for quitting, if I do, I have someone in mind to ask if they want the job, but I won't let it die out, it's not even mine to do so, it's Steve's site, and it's this community's work.

Thanks for the feedback.

sonofsokol
08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
JT - If you are looking for any help gathering the Q&As from other sites or anything like that, I'd be happy to offer my assistance.

I think this last round of Q & A was particulary disappointing due to the proximity to the Comic Con. I have a feeling they may have rushed through them a little bit, expecting to answer a lot at the show. Sadly, they didn't give us too much there either. I hope now that the Con is over, there will be a bit more time to provide better answers to our questions.

As far as info from other sites, here are some that I found interesting:
From Imperial Shipyards:
Q: TPM 3D is coming and giving an incredible opportunity to unleash the most iconic of prequel ships. Versions of it appeared in every prequel movie (and a few TCW toons): Naboo's Royal Starship. Can you re-release this sleek beauty, once more, as an exclusive this coming movie year? To reduce costs, gut the electronics, rid it of its 2 small vehicles, and include just a small figure (Astromech or Anakin). If you like going big, as you did by slapping 2 enlarged wings on the old/new Tie Fighter. Simply elongate her front nose and back tails, and you have a bigger badder ship! You successfully used old molds before and sold(out) the Emperor's Shuttle Target exclusive in 2006. Can you repeat that same success by using this other set of ready-made molds? Naboo's Royal Starship, unleashed in time for the movie year, or 3D blu-ray holiday debut, in 2012?

A: Yes, Episode I in 3-D allows for a number of favorite vehicles to be added to the line. Sadly, the Royal Starship and Emperor's Shuttle did not make the list. But we think fans will be pleased with the line-up which includes a 100% newly tooled iconic vehicle. We would be sharing too much information if we were to say that it is a yellow starfighter that rhymes with shampoo.

From Jedi Defender
Q1) We really liked how you did "Captain Fordo" by including both of his helmets and belts to give us 2 Clones in 1. We were curious though, with you guys tackling realistic styled Clone Wars figures, what are the odds you'd try the same thing with say a realistic Commander Cody or Captain Rex that include the 2 different helmets and specific gear for early in the war during the cartoon, as well as late in the war as they would appear during Revenge of the Sith? It was a great idea with Fordo and we'd like to see you try it again!

A1) Realistic versions of any major Clone Wars character would be appealing. If we were to do Cody we would consider the additional helmet and extra parts.

From JediTempleArchives
JTA: Are you able to give us an idea of how many modern updates to the original vintage figures (you know, the vintage “Collect all 92”) you are planning to release in The Vintage Collection? We recently did a special report (view this report here (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/specialreports/vintageversusmodern/)) outlining what we think is left before all of the original figures are remade to match their vintage counterparts. We’ve made life a little easier for you. And we even know a few more are coming now. We would love if these final figures came out during The Vintage Collection! If you’re feeling generous, maybe you could also let us know how many modern updates you have in the works too (ones you have made say in the POTF2 line but are due for better updates)? But specifically, can you let us know your plans for the mustachioed Bespin Security Guard, Lumat, Lapti Nek version of Sy Snootles, vintage Nikto and Sim Aloo? Please make them all a reality for us?
Hasbro: We agree there are still some holes left to fill in the Vintage Collection. By the end of 2012 some of these gaps will be filled, with, for instance, figures like Lumat.

From SWCollector.com
Q1. The upcoming R4-D7 figure in "The Clone Wars" line appears to feature Build-A-Droid components. Is this going to be incorporated into the line on a regular basis?

Answer: Yes, the R4-D7 does include the components, but this was not due to a larger build-a-droid strategy. Our team likes using the parts so you can expect more in the future.

From Yakface.com
Q1: Let’s try this again. Why doesn’t the new Vintage Rebel Fleet Trooper have a holster?
A1: While it’s true that some (not all) of the Rebel Fleet Troopers seen in ANH had holsters, we wanted to give the figure as much versatility as possible. In that regard we made the choice to include the hat and leg strap to make the figure also accurate to the way they appear during the Medal Ceremony.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Of course Jeff's answers have been nowhere as thorough or straightforward as Derryl's were, but remember that it took Derryl a while to get there, too. The Q&A program didn't become as great as it got overnight, it took both sides trying to work with each other to dictate which kinds of questions would be asked and how they would be answered. I feel that our site was the one that did this the best, and Derryl had mentioned that we tended to have the most insightful questions around. Jeff has only had three rounds so far, and there have been some interesting answers throughout. (It's not like every single question and answer under Derryl was always gold, either.) I think we all just have to realize that it's not the same as it was; with the new answer man comes a new mode of thinking on their part, and we need to reflect that as well to maximize our involvement here.

My collection isn't out of sight or mind actually, all 30 f'ing moving boxes of it are in my bedroom so I wake up to my collection every day, just as a burden rather than a display. It's funny but disheartening at the same time (actually, there are shelves I have set up to take some of that collection, but they're BEHIND all the boxes :p ).
I had a similar situation a few years ago when my family and I moved to our new house. After months of bagging and boxing everything in my collection, it had to sit in several rooms while we figured out what to do with everything. It was taking up space, not going on display and not bringing myself or anyone else any joy. This went on for several months. But once I was able to open up and display everything, which still took several more months (and is still an ongoing process, obviously), it brought it all back and made me remember why I love this in the first place. It might take a long time, but it will look like a collection again, and not just an assortment of nondescript boxes.

As for quitting, if I do, I have someone in mind to ask if they want the job, but I won't let it die out, it's not even mine to do so, it's Steve's site, and it's this community's work.
If it's not me, then I'd like to throw my hat into the ring. :p If you need help in any capacity, I would absolutely love to help out. I've loved the Q&A since the start, and even though the last few months have been frustrating with strange schedules and hiatuses, it would be a shame to throw in the towel.

JediTricks
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
JT - If you are looking for any help gathering the Q&As from other sites or anything like that, I'd be happy to offer my assistance.While I would appreciate that, I'm not sure you know what you're getting into. It takes me 2 hours to comb through the 30 sites on my list. It's brutal, and that's before I reformat them to fit my personal article style. I'm about to do it after lunch in a few minutes. But if you're serious, hit me up on PM.

I think this last round of Q & A was particulary disappointing due to the proximity to the Comic Con. I have a feeling they may have rushed through them a little bit, expecting to answer a lot at the show. Sadly, they didn't give us too much there either. I hope now that the Con is over, there will be a bit more time to provide better answers to our questions. I wish that were true, but this round's answers from what I saw were no different than the last 2.

As far as info from other sites, here are some that I found interesting:
From Imperial Shipyards:
Q: TPM 3D is coming and giving an incredible opportunity to unleash the most iconic of prequel ships. Versions of it appeared in every prequel movie (and a few TCW toons): Naboo's Royal Starship. Can you re-release this sleek beauty, once more, as an exclusive this coming movie year? To reduce costs, gut the electronics, rid it of its 2 small vehicles, and include just a small figure (Astromech or Anakin). If you like going big, as you did by slapping 2 enlarged wings on the old/new Tie Fighter. Simply elongate her front nose and back tails, and you have a bigger badder ship! You successfully used old molds before and sold(out) the Emperor's Shuttle Target exclusive in 2006. Can you repeat that same success by using this other set of ready-made molds? Naboo's Royal Starship, unleashed in time for the movie year, or 3D blu-ray holiday debut, in 2012?

A: Yes, Episode I in 3-D allows for a number of favorite vehicles to be added to the line. Sadly, the Royal Starship and Emperor's Shuttle did not make the list. But we think fans will be pleased with the line-up which includes a 100% newly tooled iconic vehicle. We would be sharing too much information if we were to say that it is a yellow starfighter that rhymes with shampoo.

From Jedi Defender
Q1) We really liked how you did "Captain Fordo" by including both of his helmets and belts to give us 2 Clones in 1. We were curious though, with you guys tackling realistic styled Clone Wars figures, what are the odds you'd try the same thing with say a realistic Commander Cody or Captain Rex that include the 2 different helmets and specific gear for early in the war during the cartoon, as well as late in the war as they would appear during Revenge of the Sith? It was a great idea with Fordo and we'd like to see you try it again!

A1) Realistic versions of any major Clone Wars character would be appealing. If we were to do Cody we would consider the additional helmet and extra parts.

From JediTempleArchives
JTA: Are you able to give us an idea of how many modern updates to the original vintage figures (you know, the vintage “Collect all 92”) you are planning to release in The Vintage Collection? We recently did a special report (view this report here (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/specialreports/vintageversusmodern/)) outlining what we think is left before all of the original figures are remade to match their vintage counterparts. We’ve made life a little easier for you. And we even know a few more are coming now. We would love if these final figures came out during The Vintage Collection! If you’re feeling generous, maybe you could also let us know how many modern updates you have in the works too (ones you have made say in the POTF2 line but are due for better updates)? But specifically, can you let us know your plans for the mustachioed Bespin Security Guard, Lumat, Lapti Nek version of Sy Snootles, vintage Nikto and Sim Aloo? Please make them all a reality for us?
Hasbro: We agree there are still some holes left to fill in the Vintage Collection. By the end of 2012 some of these gaps will be filled, with, for instance, figures like Lumat.

From SWCollector.com
Q1. The upcoming R4-D7 figure in "The Clone Wars" line appears to feature Build-A-Droid components. Is this going to be incorporated into the line on a regular basis?

Answer: Yes, the R4-D7 does include the components, but this was not due to a larger build-a-droid strategy. Our team likes using the parts so you can expect more in the future.

From Yakface.com
Q1: Let’s try this again. Why doesn’t the new Vintage Rebel Fleet Trooper have a holster?
A1: While it’s true that some (not all) of the Rebel Fleet Troopers seen in ANH had holsters, we wanted to give the figure as much versatility as possible. In that regard we made the choice to include the hat and leg strap to make the figure also accurate to the way they appear during the Medal Ceremony.That Lumat answer is really frustrating since they've recently done that Kenner "Lumat" figure just under the new LFL name of "Graak". So new-Lumat isn't a Kenner figure at all.

And that RFT Holster answer is... well, it's just incomprehensible.

Of course Jeff's answers have been nowhere as thorough or straightforward as Derryl's were, but remember that it took Derryl a while to get there, too. The Q&A program didn't become as great as it got overnight, it took both sides trying to work with each other to dictate which kinds of questions would be asked and how they would be answered. I feel that our site was the one that did this the best, and Derryl had mentioned that we tended to have the most insightful questions around. Jeff has only had three rounds so far, and there have been some interesting answers throughout. (It's not like every single question and answer under Derryl was always gold, either.) I think we all just have to realize that it's not the same as it was; with the new answer man comes a new mode of thinking on their part, and we need to reflect that as well to maximize our involvement here.I take great issue with this line of thinking, I see it a lot in many different areas, people fool themselves into thinking that because something sucks, that everything which came before automatically sucked early on as well: Top Gear UK, summer popcorn flicks, etc.. But the reality is that it's not the case. Here's the first 2 rounds of answers from Derryl (pardon the oddball formatting changes, I was still figuring it all out when I started putting the file together):
SSG

Hasbro Q&A for the week of 2006 June 9th

Q: Are there more new Vintage-Style figures coming, and if so, when can we expect them?

A: Not in 2006, but we're looking at what opportunities might exist for expanding the Vintage figure assortment in 2007.

Q: Will we be seeing more figures from the Expanded Universe, especially characters beyond just clonetrooper repaints?
A: Yes. There are great characters in the Expanded Universe and we plan to include some of these in 2007. Stay tuned!

Q: Have you considered new playset ideas, especially modular playsets so collectors can build larger playsets from smaller sets?
A: A scaling playset is a great idea. There has been a lot of discussion internally on whether this could be successful in today's market. However, we continue to see diminished demand for playsets. If we ever see the landscape changing, it's something we could take a look at in the future.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of 2006 June 16th

Q: What are the chances of seeing Vintage-Style figures for prequels characters?A: Right now, there are a lot of OTC characters yet to be done in Vintage. In the future, if the series continues, we'll look at doing prequel figures in Vintage style after we have covered off more of the key vintage Kenner figures.

Q: Will there ever be the curved Cantina bar end piece, and if so, when will it be made available and what will it come with?
A: Yes. The specifics on when it will be available aren't ready for announcement yet.

Q: Why does Hasbro not want to discuss specifics in regards to possible upcoming products when Hasbro has no competition for making Star Wars action figures?
A: Excellent question. We manage the flow of information for a variety of business reasons. One advantage to the plan is that we always have upcoming news and collectors don't get bored. When the public knows the line too far in advance, there's a tendency for items new to the shelf to seem old if the line list has been out there for months (case in point last Toy Fair, when our line list was well-known, and the criticism was that there was "no new news.").

ActionFigs

- Q&A from 2006 June 16th -

Will we see more new Vehicles such as the AT-TE, Cloud Car, V-wing, in the foreseeable future? Can you be specific as to which ones?
"We *will* be producing some new vehicles in the 3-3/4" Starfighter Vehicle line-up in 2007. We cannot be more specific at this time…sorry! "

Will we ever get a Spirit of Anakin figure based on Hayden Christensen as seen in the Original Trilogy DVD release?
"Not at this time."

Many collectors are frustrated with exclusives which are often hard to find due to scalper draw, limited or uneven distribution, and exclusives to chains not available in certain areas. While understanding that exclusives are an important part of getting certain items released, as well as a tool for Hasbro's dealings with their retail partners, what can be done to remedy this ongoing problem so that collectors can feel like Hasbro cares about their interests and concerns?
"Good question, and we do care. We are not trying to deliberately short the market or create frustration. We release exclusives with the size of the collector market in mind. We try to ensure that the retailer is willing to commit to anticipated quantities and item needs to satisfy the collector base We attempt to obtain national distribution on what we think will be high-demand items. What we can't plan for are the store counts and amount shipped to each store, which our retailers decide on; individual collector pockets of high concentration; the unfortunate scalping element (which at least seems to less than it was several years ago); and sets with an inherent multi-purchase pattern (troop building) that motivates folks to go unusually deep. From these standpoints, exclusives are probably no different than national items....some national items can be just as hard to find locally but nationally on the average they are OK."

- Q&A from 2006 June 9th -

Will there be more Evolutions figure sets?
"In a movie year, Evolutions was a way for us to include figures with premium articulation in our line. This year, we're doing more of this style figure in the basic assortment, so we did not see the need for a separate line."

Will we be seeing more Beast/Creature assortments in the foreseeable future?
"Though we understand that beast/creature assortments are desirable, at this time it appears that new vehicle assortments are in higher demand. Vehicles will play an integral part in our future line releases."

What are you doing to remedy case assortment problems such as egwarmers like Yoda and Poggle and Bren Derlin, as well as hard to find figures like 1-per-case Scorch and Commander Cody?
"We are constantly updating our case packs to meet the needs of our total audience - both kids and collectors. What you may be seeing on a local store level is not necessarily an indicator of what is going on at a national level."

---

In my book, SSG went 6 for 6 great answers, honest and direct, as much as they could be. AF got 6 for 6, or 5 for 6 if you don't like that case answer (I can understand not liking it, but it's what they were/are doing to remedy that situation).

And from other sites... (the order is how they were in my bookmarks at the time, I think)

June 16th 2006

Potf2.com: I heard that Hasbro is thinking of adding a few EU figures into the mix for 2007, but will any of these figures include characters from novels? And, is there a ballpark figure on the number of EU figures that will be made next year? 2? 3? An entire wave?

Hasbro: I can't give any more details beyond "wait and see." I know it's frustrating, but I'm glad people share the same passion for the EU as we do and Lucasfilm does.

Potf2: Is Hasbro/Lucas thinking of creating a toy only line with new characters, or will everything be based on movies, comics, TV and novels?

Hasbro: Interesting question. We aren't planning on designing any new characters that do not have precedence in film, TV, comics, or elsewhere in the EU... with maybe 1-2 exceptions, but these will be worked into the main line rather than be a stand-alone segment.

Potf2: When will the next fan favorite poll begin?

Hasbro: This last one was pretty epic and Toy Fare did a fantastic job corralling all the input. We'd like to give the team a rest before going at it again! Seriously... annually would be nice. So again this time next year is something we will shoot for.

GalacticHunter.com: Can we expect to see more Hasbro action figures from the Clone Wars Animated Series? If so, what is the rough timeline?

Hasbro: We do have plans for some of these characters in 2007, but we won't be announcing the specifics just yet. However, any we do will be in "realistic" styling rather than animated. We done some polling with fans, and overall the realistic style is prefered over the animated style so we are going to stick with that.

GalacticHunter: Has Hasbro explored the possibility of starting a collector's club, offering unique figures and accessories to its membership? How many collectors would need to 'organize' in order to pique Hasbro's interest in this concept? Hasbro dedicates a lot of care and attention to nurturing its relationship with G.I. Joe and Transformers collectors, adopting official conventions and collector clubs, and Star Wars fans often feel left out of the fun. Will Hasbro make any such efforts for Star Wars collectors in the future?

Hasbro: Lucasfilm runs the official Star Wars [Fan] Club and Celebration shows to maintain that conduit with collectors. We'll participate in those events (and Comic Con) to showcase our upcoming products and interact with collectors, but there are no plans for another Club devoted to figure collecting.

GalacticHunter: With Hasbro's recent acquisition of the Marvel license, can we hope to see modular pieces (a la build-a- figure/vehicle/playset) introduced into the Star Wars line? Many larger-scale figures and mini-sized vehicles could finally see production this way.

Hasbro: Not at this time.
Yakface.com: Any chance we can expect to see a Lars Homestead scene pack with Cliegg Lars, prequel Owen and Beru, anytime soon? This could be a great exclusive?

Hasbro: Not at this time. While they would be cool, there are a bunch of characters we'll be getting to first.

Yakface: Have read much about cost issues etc with creating new ships/playsets. But the Star Wars 3.3/4" line is about re-creating enviroment and scenes that make us feel the magic. Surely there are ways to get ships done including large ones. And smaller ones with electronic features. Whadaya say Hasbro?

Hasbro: We *will* be producing some new vehicles in the 3-3/4" Starfighter Vehicle line-up in 2007. We'll look at features (Eelectronic or otherwise) on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis.

Yakface: When will we see figures of Commander Bacara's galactic marines?!?

Hasbro: Early in 2007.
ToyNewsI.com: Are there any plans for a poseable 6" Marvel Legends style line of Star Wars action figures?

Hasbro: There are no plans at this time for us to do a Marvel Legends-style series.

ToyNewsI: What are the plans for the Expanded Universe?

Hasbro: A lot of great characters have been created in the Expanded Universe and we do plan to include some in the 2007 line. We can't release more details than that, but stay tuned.

ToyNewsI: Will we ever see Darth Sidious' lightsaber?

Hasbro: I doubt it. The problem is that it is the tiny hilt and blade, which do not make as heroic a statement to kids. I know Yoda says "Judge me by my size, do you?" but it's not very high on the kid demand list for lightsabers.
Figures.com: Are there any plans to make more 2.5" Star Wars Unleashed figures and/or vehicles (like the mini-Sigma 6 G.I. Joe figures)?

Hasbro: Unleashed 2.5" figures will continue in their current multi-pack form for the foreseeable future. Vehicles, beyond the Snowspeeder this Fall, we will have to wait and see.
JediDefender.com: Articulation is a popular feature on toys for children and adults alike. Is it possible we'll see things like elbow, wrist, and knee joints become the standard in the Hasbro basic line on all figures, regardless of their role in the films, since poseable toys are popular?

Hasbro: We weigh each figure based on their individual needs and the costing of the product overall. If a character has a significant accessory, or is in a multi-pack, we will evaluate that vs. just premium articulation for the sake of articulation.
JediDefender: With the HUGE success of the Marvel Legends Build-a-Figure idea, is there any chance that we might see that implemented in the 3.75" Star Wars line to get figures (such as Hermi Odle or a new Probot) or maybe playsets (like a Jabba's Dais or Moisture Evaporator)?

Hasbro: Not at this time.

JediDefender: What's the story with the Saga Wave 7 Endor Rebel Soldiers [variations] that debuted on your website recently - are they shipping at the same time in the same case, are they randomly packed, or will they be a running change?

Hasbro: They will be a running change.
YodasNews.com: Will we ever see army builder figures packed consistently in cases, regardless of the relevance they may have to the particular "wave" of figures? A considerable amount of collectors love army builders, and to have a few Super articulated Clone Troopers, Stormtroopers (plain white VOTC mold, not dirty like the Sandtrooper #37 from the Saga Collection), Scout Troopers, ett packed in a case would be great.

Hasbro: You bet. This year in fact you'll see more mixing, especially later in the year, and troop builders will be key. However, we haven't created a specific clean Sandtrooper version yet.

YodasNews: Will we see any more Ewoks? Maybe even an Ewok Battle Pack? Maybe a Tusken Raider Battle Pack? Perhaps a Stormtrooper (not Clonetrooper) Battle Pack?

Hasbro: Those are already on our radar, but there is no timetable for them. We have a lot of ideas and not enough space to put them all, but eventually there will be more Ewoks. Probably Ewoks before Tuskens, if that helps..
YodasNews: Why do we not have the entire line of Star Wars 3" 3/4 product here in FRANCE in our supermarket. Why should we rely on specialized toy shops or the internet to be able to get a complete collection and pay overpriced items ( I mean US customers paid what $8 max when in FRANCE, in US currency, each fig costs $ 13 MINIMUM!) Also why do our neighbors country (Germany and Great Britain ) have the VOTC line in their stores and we could get the George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise ?
Hasbro: It's up to retailers in EU regions to decide whether to carry the full or a partial line. There are very large collecting bases in both the UK and Germany, so that is why you see more offerings, including many exclusives in these countries. The best I can say is to let your retailer know, that you would like to see them carry more Star Wars collector lines.
JediTempleArchives.com: What are the numbers for the figures in the Endor and Naboo waves?

Hasbro: Endor is #39-43 (Wave 5) and #44-46 is Wave 6. The Naboo wave is #49-52 in Wave 6. We combined the two into one wave as both ended up on the same schedule.

JediTempleArchives: When can we expect to hear more information about this years San Diego Comic Con Exclusives?

Hasbro: Information on the Expanded Universe "Shadow Stormtrooper" figure is available at StarWarsOnlineShop. We will be making more information available on the HasbroToyShop "501st Stormtrooper" figure just before convention time, so be sure to check it out.
Rebelscum.com: I have a long list of items that aren't coming out in the UK or other parts of Europe. Why doesn't Hasbro get said toys in limited quantities via FOB and sell them through their web shops to supply the demand?
Hasbro: While all of our domestic (U.S.) products are made availabe to retailers in other regions, that does not necessarily mean that they will see retail distribution in that area - some of these things are out of our control.
Rebelscum: Are the American and Canadian Proof of Purchase tabs on the Vintage Saga Collection figures interchangeable? Can I still redeem my Lucas Trooper if I have mix of Canadian and American tabs on my certificate?

Hasbro: Yes.

Rebelscum: Why are many much-desired items (Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator, the AT-TE and Twin Pod Cloud Car, Playsets etc.) passed over in favor of a ton of new Star Wars lines like Attacktix, Unleashed Battle Packs, Galactic Heroes, Jedi Force, Force Battlers, Mr. Potato Heads, Star Wars Transformers, Star Wars Customs, Star Wars Miniatures? In the past, it's been said that producing things such as are not cost-effective for today's market, but that hardly seems logical.

Hasbro: We look to products that will produce the greatest return on our resource investment. Vehicles and figures are more popular play patterns for the kid audience than playsets, and the lines you referenced are squarely kid-targeted. We are looking to introduce some new 3-3/4” vehicles next year (and re-introduce some high demand ones this Fall).

Rebelscum: Will we see any more female figures, specifically Padmé in her various costumes?

Hasbro: Eventually, yes, but it's too early to say when the next version will be made available.
TheJawa.com: Since ball joints offer greater pose-ability and play value (as opposed to the swivel-joints) for things like elbows, shoulders, and knees, why don't more of the figures have ball joints?

Hasbro: For the most part, its much more expensive to produce figures with this manner. Every figure we do is a balaning act between articulation, deco, accessories and the overall complection of the wave. We add articulation where we can afford it and where it makes most sense for each figure, but ball joints are not going to become the standard on Star Wars for this reason.
TheJawa: If a character or version of character is already planned for release, do you bar that selection from Fans' Choice polls, so that a truly bonus figure can emerge?

Hasbro: Very timely question ... the Fans' Choice poll that Toy Fare recently conducted was driven entirely by the fans and the results were a true measure of the top figures that fans want to see made. I'd love to go into more detail, but look for Toy Fare to reveal the scoop in their July on-sale issue.
ActionFigureInsider.com: Is there any way to offer previous pack-in characters as singles or mailaways? Bespin guard, Rebel pilots, etc.-

Hasbro: Not at this time. There are a lot of great figures that have yet to be made available in the 6x9 format and that's probably where we'll look first to re-introduce some characters. We'd like to try and guage which figures fans would like to see come back into the 6x9 format....let us know via message boards or come by and see us if you'll be in San Diego for Comic Con.

ActionFigureInsider: Will we be seeing less action feature and more articulation i.e. ROTS pilot Obi-wan?

Hasbro: It depends on the figure. If they come with a signifciant accessory (say a curved Cantina bar section) we may have to make a choice on the number of point so articulation to deliver the accessory.

ActionFigureInsider: Any plans for Galactic Heroes passed in the upcoming line (Wedge, Stormy Luke, Stormy Han) -- including Galactic Heroes vehicles or playsets?

Hasbro: Galactic Heroes has been very succesful, and these guys will defintely be continuing for the foreseaable future, with a mix of fan favorite characters and new scuplts in the mix. However, the GH line has proven itself to be figure-driven and the vehicles have struggled, so we're just concentrating on figures at scale. But there are some great concepts coming for this series....stay tuned for details.

June 9th 2006

ToyNewsI.com: What is the status of the 7" Unleashed line of figures?
Hasbro: We will re-release a selection of classic Unleashed figures in the fall with four exclusive figures - two figures at Wal-mart and two figures at Target - in an all-new tube-style packaging.
Figures.com: With next year being the 30th anniversary of the birth of the Star Wars franchise, can we expect anything from Hasbro to commemorate the release of the first Star Wars Movie?
Hasbro: Yes! Stay tuned for details in the coming months.
Yakface.com: Is there a plan to ship a variation of the clone pilot? [Episode III Heroes & Villians Asst.] The one which has shipped in the heroes and villians wave is the black version, however the back of the card shows the gray/white uniform.

Hasbro: We are currently shipping the black suited version.
Yakface: In regards to the Ultra Titanium series, will you be creating an Ultra Titanium version of Padme's Episode I Royal Starship, Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator, and General Grievous ship? If so, when do you think we might see them?

Hasbro: Currently, they are not scheduled for 2006. But we are looking at what opportunities might exisit for expanding the Titanium Series in 2007.
Yakface: Does Hasbro intend to release the VOTC Stormtrooper without dirt, just white?

Hasbro: That's a very good idea, however we have nothing currently planned.
Rebelscum.com: All things end eventually, how long will the action figure line continue? Is there an end date?
Hasbro: Hasbro holds the Star Wars license through 2018, so I hope basic figures will continue at least through then!
Rebelscum: Will there ever be a subscription service/one-of-every-figure club/opportunity for fans to purchase convention exclusives, possibly through hasbrotoyshop.com? Whatever happened to the subscription program announced at Celebration III?
Hasbro: The 501st San Diego Comic Con figures will be available on HasbroToyShop.com, but it's not possible at this time to set up the type of large-scale subscription service that I know you're referring to. Maybe down the road.
JediDefender.com: What are the chances of one more Animated Clone Wars Wave (or box set)? We still need to get C-3PO, R2-D2, Padme (Ilum Snow Gear), and Darth Sidious to round out our sets!

Hasbro: Characters in Clone Wars are great - and we're looking at ways of getting more of them in the line for 2007. However any we do will be in "realistic" styling rather than animated. We’ve done some polling with fans, and overall the realistic style is preferred.
GalacticHunter.com: Collectors have been very enthusiastic about the Battle Pack Assortment. Would Hasbro consider including canceled figures like the Trophy Edition Obi-Wan Kenobi and Trophy Edition OOM-9, or hard-to-find figures like Sio Bibble, TC-14, and the Comm-Tech Princess Leia (Hood Up) figures in these assortments?

Hasbro: Each Battle Pack tells a story. We approach each one individually, taking a close look at which characters make the most sense for the scenario we're looking to recreate. If any of these characters would fit into a future scene we want to do, we'd consider them.

GalacticHunter: With the upcoming television series, will we see Hasbro and its retail partners rolling out a vast line of toys similar to the movie launches, or will the scope of the line be more modest?

Hasbro: With the television series slated for 2008, it's too far off to speak to with any accuracy. You'll just have to stay tuned!
YodasNews.com: Will Hasbro start to offer Store Exclusives at the HasbroToyShop site? I love some of the recent Target Exclusives but I don't have a Target within 30 miles and when I do make the trip, the pegs are empty and I have to pay 2x or 3x retail on ebay. If they sold even a small portion on HasbroToyShop it would give people who want these a better chance to get them!

Hasbro: Yes. Soon, fans may visit HasbroToyShop.com and purchase a selection of exclusive items including the 501st San Diego Comic Com figure, Titanium Series Gold TIE Advanced X1 Starfighter, and an all-new action figure collectors case. These limited edition collector cases (6"x9") are branded Hasbro, Star Wars, Lucas Film Limited and Kenner!

YodasNews: Explain to me the relative risks and costs associated with bringing new vehicle and small playset molds into the world, when compared to making massive gambits on entirely new offshoot lines such as Force Battlers and Galactic Choppers. It seems to be a case of fumbled priorities, or rather multiple cases of them stacked and overflowing at my local Wal-Mart.

Hasbro: We look to products that will produce the greatest return on our resource investment. Vehicles and figures are more popular play patterns for the kid audience than playsets, and the lines you referenced are squarely kid-targeted. We are looking to introduce some new 3-3/4" vehicles next year (and re-introduce some high demand ones this Fall).
JediTempleArchives.com: Australia received solid cases of the Basic UGH figures. Now that the initial hype has died down in the US and they are no longer shipping in current assortments, do you have plans to release solid cases in the US? In other countries?

Hasbro: No, they will not be re-released.

---
Honestly, do you see ANY similarity between the first 2 rounds of Derryl's Q&A and the first 2 rounds of Jeff's? To me, it's like night and day, one is honest and straight up and directly addressing the issues brought up, the other is vague and cutesy and ignoring significant portions of the issues. One leaves the reader feeling respected and listened to, the other leaves the reader feeling talked down to and insulted and ignored.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when my family and I moved to our new house. After months of bagging and boxing everything in my collection, it had to sit in several rooms while we figured out what to do with everything. It was taking up space, not going on display and not bringing myself or anyone else any joy. This went on for several months. But once I was able to open up and display everything, which still took several more months (and is still an ongoing process, obviously), it brought it all back and made me remember why I love this in the first place. It might take a long time, but it will look like a collection again, and not just an assortment of nondescript boxes.I hear ya. For me, throwing out a lot of old POTF2 (you can't donate them in CA anymore because of the toxic toys scare from a few years ago despite Hasbro having NOTHING on the lead list) was cathartic, but the amount I have left was still staggering, and being in a 1-bedroom condo really doesn't afford me a great amount of room to put things. I have put up 8 bookshelves, and already they're showing signs of filling up too quickly despite 75% of my collection still boxed up. I guess the problem also stems from this occurring while Hasbro has been incredibly mediocre in price and distribution.

If it's not me, then I'd like to throw my hat into the ring. :p If you need help in any capacity, I would absolutely love to help out. I've loved the Q&A since the start, and even though the last few months have been frustrating with strange schedules and hiatuses, it would be a shame to throw in the towel.It was indeed you I had in mind. Right now, I could really use help with rewrites in that thread, just taking the raw ideas and turning them into questions that fit our style, that's been so difficult the past few months. I had originally tried using multiple mods in that thread, but it immediately became impossible to manage the changes, so for now I'm trying to keep that area hands-off to anyone but me. But hit me up in PM and we can discuss it. Like I said, SSG won't drop out of Q&A, my comments here were only about my feelings as it stands right now.

JediTricks
08-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I have gathered the Qs, am putting them together now. I found 2 sets that other lists hadn't shown, which is kind of a bonus to doing this: knowing I've got a little edge.

I cut down the sites that haven't participated this year, going from 31 to 17 (including us at SSG) so that hopefully will make the next time quicker to put together. If you guys see any sites I don't have listed, please LMK.

After this, I've still got to get our voting Q&A thread in shape. Fun fun!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Honestly, do you see ANY similarity between the first 2 rounds of Derryl's Q&A and the first 2 rounds of Jeff's? To me, it's like night and day, one is honest and straight up and directly addressing the issues brought up, the other is vague and cutesy and ignoring significant portions of the issues. One leaves the reader feeling respected and listened to, the other leaves the reader feeling talked down to and insulted and ignored.
There's still a mix of "wait and see," "we have no plans to do that," and straight-up information reveals in both styles. I do feel that Jeff sometimes goes for the cutesy side, but it seems that it's often on top of "wait and see;" he's just throwing that in to try to make it fun. With Derryl, we ended up going for multi-part questions, and he'd typically answer all of them. At the very least, it seems like Jeff works better with shorter, more direct questions. It's not ideal but that's just how it is so far.

El Chuxter
08-03-2011, 10:22 PM
IIRC, Derryl started off heavy on the doublespeak, too. I seem to recall a few of us being a bit surprised when the answers actually got candid and informative.

4s4sin96
08-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Will be they doing TFU ll in 2012? :S