PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow 12" Boba Fett

Darth Metalmute
07-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Right after putting IG-88 up for pre-sale (and for $179 at that), Sideshow has added Boba Fett, Grevious and 4-Lom? to their 12" ranks. Hoping for the $125 range, but I figure that they will name $150 since the sticker shock from IG-88 is recent.

jedibear
07-26-2011, 09:26 PM
I see from one of the shots in SirSteve's SDCC gallery that Boba is going for $160. Looking at that superbly done prototype (and hoping that the production figure comes extremely close to it) and considering the now-going rates for high-end figures, the price isn't shocking. Love it to cheaper, but....it is what it is.

Judging from the con shots, the figure looks great. I'm loving the ESB look and detailing. I'll order this one for sure and can't wait to display him with Lando - "This deal is getting worse all the time!" :)

JediTricks
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Fett was a good-looking piece, but the pricetag seems so excessive, like "Hot Toys-only Import" excessive. Vader was $40 less, the Stormtrooper was $70 less, Rex and all the other clones are around $40 less with the same amount of accessories and little pointy things plus more armor.

The new Luke Bespin in the display is Hot Toys. 4-LOM in the display is a Medicom piece (and I hope an unfinished prototype, because yikes was it "not there").

Sideshow's Grievous looks good, but $200?!? That's Premium Format territory! And their prototype was already wilting!

jedibear
07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Fett was a good-looking piece, but the pricetag seems so excessive, like "Hot Toys-only Import" excessive....
...Sideshow's Grievous looks good, but $200?!? That's Premium Format territory! And their prototype was already wilting!

Not to play the devil's advocate here but...I can almost forgive the Boba price. The Bespin-themed display base (which lights up if I'm not mistaken) and the high effort of cut-n-sew going on here does approach the HT territory...plus, it's not too much of a shock to see them ask a little more for a character that is extremely popular and looks pretty well rendered. I guess part of the picture will be the eventual edition size...if it's 5000 or so, well, okay....if it's straddling 10,000 than...ouch!

The Grievous was wilting already...arrghhh. Well, it is just the prototype still "under development" so we'll see. I like the look of the piece, but the one observation I have judging from the pic of him at SDCC is...he seems more inspired by Hasbro's stunted original action figure (in stature anyway) rather than the tall, lanky film (and later Hasbro) version.

Don't get me wrong...I think it looks good...it just looks a little "off" is all...

Jayspawn
08-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Boba is an instant buy for me but he does look off. His helmet isnt wide enough on the sides. Hopefully it gets tweaked before release.

JediTricks
08-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Not to play the devil's advocate here but...I can almost forgive the Boba price. The Bespin-themed display base (which lights up if I'm not mistaken) and the high effort of cut-n-sew going on here does approach the HT territory...plus, it's not too much of a shock to see them ask a little more for a character that is extremely popular and looks pretty well rendered. I guess part of the picture will be the eventual edition size...if it's 5000 or so, well, okay....if it's straddling 10,000 than...ouch!

The Grievous was wilting already...arrghhh. Well, it is just the prototype still "under development" so we'll see. I like the look of the piece, but the one observation I have judging from the pic of him at SDCC is...he seems more inspired by Hasbro's stunted original action figure (in stature anyway) rather than the tall, lanky film (and later Hasbro) version.

Don't get me wrong...I think it looks good...it just looks a little "off" is all...Does it come with a base? I hadn't noticed that, it would push it into HT territory. IMO, Fett needs to be an inclusive, not an exclusive.

Boba is an instant buy for me but he does look off. His helmet isnt wide enough on the sides. Hopefully it gets tweaked before release.The helmet does seem more like the ROTJ version than the ESB, but I don't mind that, there are some shots in ESB where it looks like that, and I think it looks better in general than the stunted ESB helmet. Still, accuracy is important.

JediTricks
06-15-2012, 06:45 PM
I got my shipping warning notice for Boba, 2 weeks from today. There was a little snafu with my shipping address (the policy is they won't ship to anything but a billing address) so I called and they emailed me a form to allow the Fett-man to ship to my house, right in my hot little hands.

jedibear
07-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I anxiously await your usual very thorough review! I probably won't see him up my way until the end of July at the earliest.

JediTricks
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I anxiously await your usual very thorough review! I probably won't see him up my way until the end of July at the earliest.
We'll see if it arrives before SDCC or if it has to wait at my mailbox place for an extra week. I asked for Comic-Con pickup and they aren't doing it for the first time.

JediTricks
07-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Ugh, Fett is scheduled to be delivered Monday, but I'll be driving out to San Diego early that day. UPS delivers generally at 2pm to 5pm, if they deliver early I will drive up to my mailbox place and get it before I head down, but I really want to avoid rush hour so I doubt that'll happen. AAAAH! No fair! :p

jedibear
07-07-2012, 02:08 PM
hehe...no fair? I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet!

Have fun at SDCC! Looking forward to your coverage!

JediTricks
07-08-2012, 12:21 PM
hehe...no fair? I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet!

Have fun at SDCC! Looking forward to your coverage!I saw your post about Sideshow Freaks freaking out (pun intended) about 1:6 Boba so I went to check out what they were saying... I am not going to risk rush hour down to San Diego for that. :p I'll give it the proper once-over in around 8 days, hopefully by then you'll have gotten yours and beaten me to the post. ;)

Thanks, hopefully SSC will have something for us to cover that isn't shown online already.

preacher
07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Got mine yesterday. I'll leave detailed review to others. Here are some observations I made:

- the jet back is a pain to attach to the buckles on his back
- the mask is an improvement over prototype pictures
- the hose on the right arm is attached shoddily. Maybe this was done on purpose, but this is a pretty fragile piece
- the hands and feet sockets are much tighter fits this time around
- the box is big
- the body type seems skinnier than the clones
- the chest piece plates seem deformed slightly. Maybe the vest material is the problem.
- fatigues have a nice aged look
- shoulder cape is same wire frame that the jedi have.
- shoulder cape edges are clean, not tattered/torn look of proto
- knee pads have cheap spandex to hold in place. Why not just attach to fabric
- shoulder pads don't sit correctly. Seem too small

All in all nice looking figure with some production oddities that seems to be the norm for sideshow.

JediTricks
07-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Finally got to open mine today. Wouldn't you know, I received 2 cupped right hands and am missing the left small C grip hand, bringing my Sideshow QC fail rate to 1:3.375 which is not good at all, although Sideshow up until now has been on top of all except Cody with his Ep 2 visor.

The jetpack was indeed a beast to put on, it's a simple system but the way it slides over each buckle is just so floppy and problematic. The back armor piece is screwed onto the figure, it seems.

The back of the thighs is hollowed out in a way I've not experienced with other armored figures in the line.

The chest pieces are a little deformed from a thick plate on the other side of the vest holding them in place (this is also the cause of the boxiness on the vest), it can be warmed to reshape I think. Mine has the center hexagon piece off-center, but I'm to the point where I can't stand returning a whole figure anymore for fear the next one will be worse.

The cape has 1 edge that's frayed, at the bottom, but the fray is VERY fine compared to what it should be.

The shoulderpads I think are actually too big, but the problem is they're sitting too high up so it throws off what looks wrong. I think they look ok though, just the outer vest they're attached to is designed a little off (it should have some semblance of sleeves).

The helmet is greener than the rest of the armor, in some light it looks quite nice but in others it does cross slightly into Kermit territory. If this was the ROTJ version, it'd get a pass (same with the codpiece armor plate design) but here it's a tougher issue. The helmet design is nice, feels a little tall at the crown but the bottom flare isn't as off as I feared, so it looks good.

The left gauntlet is a total pain to deal with when changing the left hand, the gauntlet is very fragile and in the way, it's a guaranteed break at some point.

The rifle feels fragile due to the design, getting it into the right hand and under the arm felt like microsurgery to avoid breaking it, but now it doesn't seem as doomed once under there - that's when they getcha! The trigger finger doesn't seem to quite reach to the trigger.

The shin tools are great, but each one is more fragile in design than the last. The word "fragile" seems to be a constant here, I think they should have done some of these things in metal just to avoid those problems - the saw type thing in the right shin has pointy breakables at the bottom!

The right arm has a hose in the gauntlet, it doesn't attach to anything, just slips under the mid-level tunic's short sleeve.

The base looks nice, comes with batteries but you have to pull a tab from inside to get them working.

The jetpack missile isn't removable, kind of surprised.

The outer vest is an interesting design, it's not at all screen-accurate material but it works visually except at the bottom where there's a lot of gap down to the jumpsuit due to bulk and armor bracing in the vest. The screws in the back are a shocker, they're just naked screws with washer-type heads.

The one area I couldn't really get to stay futzed nicely was the belt and honor sash belt, they are on top of each other and the honor sash underneath really doesn't want to play nice.

The pockets are all filled, and while they look good, they're slightly overfilled.

The kneepads need to be able to move for them not to break, but holding them in place with elastic around the back will cause them to slide down the thigh into the knee and then down the shin over time.

All in all, it's not a lost cause, it's not a bad figure the way so many panickers are saying it is. I'm not sure it's really showing $50 better than Vader, but it has a lot going for it in the deco and sculpt. The paint on the helmet is the one thing that will really be jarring to purists, the armor attached to the vest can probably be heat-bent to fit better but that helmet is going to be hard to "fix" if it bugs you without a ton of work or some antidepressants. ;) I like it though, but if asked to give recommendation I'd have to know the person first - if it were $125 it'd be an easy one, but at this price there are a select group of fans who will tear their hair out from the issues here.

jedibear
07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Good review, JT. Sorry to hear there were a few issues with your figure (hands,etc)

Finally got a chance to open and play with this figure myself here. After weeks of the sky falling on different message boards, I was relieved to find that I didn't have a grass-green, giant helmeted, lego-vested, shattered accessoried, stiff jointed figure inside the massive box....

What I did find was a figure that required a little more futzing than usual (removed the gear/outfit - using extreme care on the many fragile and delicate accessories) and then the only real extra I did was removing the vest and trimming the clear backing plastic back on the sides to the edges of the rivets holding the plates on. Then I enlarged the holes in the vest material slightly to accommodate pulling the vest tighter around the body a bit. After reading around the boards what can happen if too much heat is applied to the plates, well, I can live with how they look...don't want to risk damaging the figure to do something I'm not finding to be that big a deal in the first place. Did the usual checking the limbs/articulation (with a little extra emphasis on popping the alternate hands in-and-out as to not have any issues once that super-fragile left-armed gauntlet was back in place), stuck the clear tube on the right gauntlet in some hot water to soften it and make it more pliable to go up the sleeve, soaked the braids and straightened them and then re-outfitted him and that was it.

I guess I'm getting soft in my old age, but the fact that the outfit, helmet design and paint scheme may not be 100% "accurate" isn't really bothering me so much, especially when I consider that even the so-called source material is different, depending on the source (film, LFL archives, promo shots, etc) over the years (but I don't want to start a debate over that :) ). I think the overall presentation here is pretty doggone good. And this figure looks AWESOME posed/displayed with Sideshow's IG-88...can't wait for Bossk now!

I'm very impressed with this figure now that I've had some time with it. Are there issues? Sure...seems every figure has them anymore...but this one's one of the better ones in my book.

Here's some shots of the infamous bounty hunter out-and-about....

26451 26452 26453 26454

Oh, and as usual JT...great coverage on SDCC...especially the Hasbro interview. Great stuff!

JediTricks
07-23-2012, 12:30 AM
My only issue with Fett was the hands, and we had more emails so I'm guessing tomorrow it'll be a replacement hand in the mail.

Sounds insane trying to get the vest in better shape, did you by any chance take pictures of that? I doubt I'll bother with mine, but thanks for letting me know about the heat on the plates, I'll pass there.

Very cool pics, tho' I honestly cannot imagine how you could take the figure outside and put it in front of those dirty treads and such, thing is so expensive I'd worry about a butterfly knocking it down and breaking something. ;)

Are you finding it challenging getting the legs close together? I didn't think about this until last night, but while my action-pose was looking ok, I could NOT find a way to get a relaxed pose to look right.

As for SDCC, thanks for the compliment, it means a lot to me to be part of the team that brings you guys this in-depth coverage. I actually was working on my non-Hasbro stuff this evening, specifically the non-Hasbro collectibles panel update:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/1029-Star-Wars-Collectibles-Update-Comic-Con-Panel

jedibear
08-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Haven't had issues with the legs/posing, JT...

Still really enjoying this figure....he's inching up on my list of all-time SS favorites...

A couple more shots...

Altering the deal...

Deal's getting worse all the time...

JediTricks
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I still cannot get the legs close together, it's really kind of annoying because he's doing a hodown.

Dang, I hadn't realized how tall this figure was before compared to that Lando. Also, ugh, that Lando.

Anyway, cool photos, interesting lighting choices.

jedibear
08-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that Lando is a bit small on that pro body....ah, well.

Here's how I've got Fett displayed...with Iggy, waiting for Bossk...