PDA

View Full Version : THE CLONE WARS: Season 4

JEDIpartner
07-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Here are a few SPOILERS, so don't read on if you want to be surprised!!

The clones will all have phase II armour in this season.
Rex doesn't like the new armour and crafts his own.
The Scubatroopers will be of an all-new design.
Rex begins to question orders and the Republic in general.
Katee Sackhoff will voice a female Mandalorian.
One of the Mon Cals will indeed be Captain Ackbar.
Lux Bonteri will be in at least one episode.
There is a battle between battle droids and the Nightsisters.
Savage Opress continues his training with his brother, Darth Maul, who has been "demoted" to merely a dark Force user.
Though it's not certain, Ahsoka's fate will be addressed by the end of the series.
The Beslisk Jedi is named General Krell.
The first three episodes are on Mon Calamari.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I only heard that Savage would be continuing his search for Maul, not that he has found him yet. Also, it's Lux Bonteri, not Rex, unless your accent is really thick. :D

JEDIpartner
07-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I thought a lot of this information was quite interesting. Filoni said that the visuals are even better than last series. I'm hoping that we don't have any "Mortis trilogy" type clunkers and no more cafeteria tea poisoning episodes in the coming season.

DarkJedi5
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I thought a lot of this information was quite interesting. Filoni said that the visuals are even better than last series. I'm hoping that we don't have any "Mortis trilogy" type clunkers and no more cafeteria tea poisoning episodes in the coming season.

I'm pretty sure that Filoni said that the Mortis stuff was just the beginning and that there would be even more of that this season. yay.

JEDIpartner
07-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that Filoni said that the Mortis stuff was just the beginning and that there would be even more of that this season. yay.

That's nowhere in the report that I got. :suspicion:

DarkJedi5
07-30-2011, 01:23 AM
That's nowhere in the report that I got. :suspicion:

theforce.net covered the panel with a live blog. You can view their round up here:
http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/SDCC_TCW_Season_4_Panel_Highlights_139688.asp

JEDIpartner
07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
"Like" does not mean "poorly executed as that one was". So-- there's hope. :)

Tycho
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Ahsoka should survive Order 66 with Rex's help - he disobeys the order.

She should confront an armored Darth Vader after ROTS takes place - and know who he is.

Of course Vader should try to tempt her to join him, but she'll refuse.

Vader will probably let her go and keep it secret from Palpatine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TYCHO'S PERSONAL WISH

In other news, Padme lived after ROTS. (Her death - the death of a strong woman and a leader - was done way too cheaply!)

Padme's parents knew she was still alive after the birth of the Empire. They identified the body of a dead handmaiden as their daughter. Padme used a body-double in the first 2 movies - Sabe and then Corde. Why not in ROTS?

Yoda knows. Obi-Wan does not. They feared Obi-Wan could reveal this ruse if he felt sympathy for his fallen apprentice in another confrontation with Vader, and that Darth Vader would pursue Padme relentlessly. At least this way, she could remain with one of her children - Leia. Also, with Obi-Wan NOT KNOWING, he wouldn't be very quick to refuse taking the infant Luke away, as Yoda needed him to do.

On Polis Masan, the birthing droids gave Padme a drug to simulate death, at Yoda's instruction. It fooled Obi-Wan and the droids were ordered to pronounce her dead. But Bail Organa knew, because he'd go on to hide Padme and fight a running battle against evil to protect her, even while serviing in the Imperial Senate as a presumed ally of Palpatine's.

Leia would be raised as an Organa so she could have a normal childhood and inherit Bail's seat in the Imperial Senate when she was older, so as to go on "making a difference" and oppose Palpatine when the time was right.

The charade becomes very dangerous and bounty hunters threaten to discover the truth. It costs Bail Organa the life of his wife, Breah, even. Darth Vader inadvertently does get involved and kills Padme afterall - this time by blowing up her ship - though he never knew his wife was a passenger - or even alive for that matter.

In the Expanded Universe, Leia remembers being raised by "aunts" after the death of her adopted mother (Breah). For a short time in her life, before Padme's true death, Leia might suspect that one of her aunts is actually her real mother.

"She was very beautiful, kind, but sad."

She remembers just feelings - images - like holos that R2D2 carries in his memory banks.

Defending Bail, Breah, Padme, and Leia, might be Ahsoka and Captain Rex.

Gee. I should be a writer. Oh wait....

bigbarada
08-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Ahsoka should survive Order 66 with Rex's help - he disobeys the order.

She should confront an armored Darth Vader after ROTS takes place - and know who he is.

Of course Vader should try to tempt her to join him, but she'll refuse.

Vader will probably let her go and keep it secret from Palpatine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TYCHO'S PERSONAL WISH

In other news, Padme lived after ROTS. (Her death - the death of a strong woman and a leader - was done way too cheaply!)

Padme's parents knew she was still alive after the birth of the Empire. They identified the body of a dead handmaiden as their daughter. Padme used a body-double in the first 2 movies - Sabe and then Corde. Why not in ROTS?

Yoda knows. Obi-Wan does not. They feared Obi-Wan could reveal this ruse if he felt sympathy for his fallen apprentice in another confrontation with Vader, and that Darth Vader would pursue Padme relentlessly. At least this way, she could remain with one of her children - Leia. Also, with Obi-Wan NOT KNOWING, he wouldn't be very quick to refuse taking the infant Luke away, as Yoda needed him to do.

On Polis Masan, the birthing droids gave Padme a drug to simulate death, at Yoda's instruction. It fooled Obi-Wan and the droids were ordered to pronounce her dead. But Bail Organa knew, because he'd go on to hide Padme and fight a running battle against evil to protect her, even while serviing in the Imperial Senate as a presumed ally of Palpatine's.

Leia would be raised as an Organa so she could have a normal childhood and inherit Bail's seat in the Imperial Senate when she was older, so as to go on "making a difference" and oppose Palpatine when the time was right.

The charade becomes very dangerous and bounty hunters threaten to discover the truth. It costs Bail Organa the life of his wife, Breah, even. Darth Vader inadvertently does get involved and kills Padme afterall - this time by blowing up her ship - though he never knew his wife was a passenger - or even alive for that matter.

In the Expanded Universe, Leia remembers being raised by "aunts" after the death of her adopted mother (Breah). For a short time in her life, before Padme's true death, Leia might suspect that one of her aunts is actually her real mother.

"She was very beautiful, kind, but sad."

She remembers just feelings - images - like holos that R2D2 carries in his memory banks.

Defending Bail, Breah, Padme, and Leia, might be Ahsoka and Captain Rex.

Gee. I should be a writer. Oh wait....

That's actually not a bad idea and Padme's death being faked would be right in line with the original comic book inspirations for Star Wars.

Lucas could then make a movie that takes place between Episodes 3 and 4, starring Natalie Portman (if he can still afford her now that she's won an Oscar), filling in some of the gaps in the storyline.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2011, 10:49 AM
If you were among the fans who felt some of the first Season 3 episodes were too "talky," this one was action overload. I think it was a pretty good start to the next year. El Chuxter should like the Kit grin that seemed deliberate. :D I wanted to hear "It's a trap!" from the Captain, but alas, not really. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I watched it last night after both TPM and AOTC on Blu-ray; alas, we were all too tired to continue to ROTS. The episodes were good visually and I liked the moments on Otoh Gunga, but I'll have to rewatch soon; the first episode, especially, seemed to go by really fast and not have much going on despite a lot of action. Maybe that was because they've shown quite a lot in the trailers already. So, not quite as good for me as last year's premiere, but still pretty good.

JediTricks
09-18-2011, 01:18 AM
I watched both episodes last night. I didn't really enjoy them, I felt like they were missing more subtext for the Prince and the Quarrens, more character for the Prince and the utterly ridiculous CIS villain (holy crap did that guy suck worse than I could have imagined), and the underlying reason for bringing the Republic into the fight felt thinly weighed. Mainly, there were a lot of blue lasers and red lasers, but not a real sense of battle from anyone's point of view except the useless prince's. There wasn't drama except peril, and there certainly wasn't humor. Kit Fisto constantly smiling at everything got distracting and stupid, like they were actively trying to turn something good into something bad. There also didn't seem to be any sense of strategy on either side except for some hit-n-run stuff that evaporated the second it ended. And why the blasters and lightsabers are working under water is beyond sense.

Oh, and it also was incredibly murky and dingy to look at except for the red and blue GI Joe ARAH lasers, and there wasn't inspiration behind anything of the Mon Cal architecture.

And then it had the nerve to not even end its story, but continue into another episode. Honestly, they should have aired only 1 episode this week if it wasn't going to be a complete story. Or move up a different episode to take its place, because it didn't feel like a big heavy-hitting season premiere, it just felt like some time-filling episodes without enough inspiration behind them.

DarkJedi5
09-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Not really related to the actual content of the programing, but I wanted to complain about the SW.com episode guide's new format. It seems like they've scaled the pages way back and got rid of the trivia section i enjoyed so much in the past few years. It was probably too much work for them but I loved watching the episodes and then looking to see if I'd missed any little easter eggs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm also quite saddened by the loss of the episode guides. I enjoyed keeping track of when the episodes were produced. Hopefully they'll at least keep doing the video commentary. I'm really not big on the official site's apparent new focus on visuals over content.

On the other hand, it looks like they now put the episodes up the day after they air instead of waiting until Monday. That's great for me since I don't have cable in my new apartment and won't be able to go home to watch every weekend.

Tycho
09-22-2011, 12:00 PM
JediTricks - I liked the "shark-guy." He was a lot of fun - biting the necks of the Mon Calarmari and swimming like Jaws - especially in that tube attack scene that came straight from Jaws 3 or 4 (as did the shark growling - a dumb move for a Jaws movie, btw, but it was a fun homage in CW).

Anyway, I hope there will be a lot of action figures from this episode, including the Shark Guy, Capt. Ackbar, Anakin, Padme, and Ahsoka in aqua suits - perhaps one or more with a hydro-vehicle (Anakin and Ahsoka, with Padme carded), and figures of a Mon Cal and a Quarren Warrior, and shirtless Kit Fisto. Maybe even a hologram Dooku figure, too.

Battle Droid
09-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I loved the sharkman Riff Tamson also.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2011, 09:25 AM
After the first pretty good episode, this was only so-so. Predictible, played-out story... almost reminded me quite a bit like ROJ (turning sides, electricity, living up to one's father, legions of troops being fought by "lesser" opponents who've banded together), with an ESB "altering the deal" aspect, too. The Jar Jar goop detail was odd, in most meanings of that word. Still no "trap" line; what's up with that? :rolleyes: Looks like Obi-Wan's back for next time.

DarkJedi5
09-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Anyone else pick up on the homage to Jaws both musically as Tamson swims at prince squid-boy and the manner in which he is defeated (even with shark bits raining down on the hero)?

JimJamBonds
09-24-2011, 10:56 PM
I thought last nights episode was so so, I can't imagine next weeks will get high praise considering who the focal point will be.

Battle Droid
09-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Grievous? He's AWESOME!

Here's a MAJOR spoiler for next weeks episode Shadow Warrior if you want to watch it.

You've been warned! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmlAc5sDR48&feature=player_embedded

jedibear
09-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Finally got around to watching the S4 premiere episodes...

They went by so fast that they barely registered...I'll have to watch them again for more of an impression, but some quick thoughts....

The only good thing about the over-obvious villain shark guy is that he was killed in the end so....good riddance to boring villain. The one thing that kept catching my eye about him was the TIE-Fighter wing-looking emblem on his chest....what was that about?

Was it me or did the over-eager prince kid sound like Lursa and Bator's whiny nephew from those TNG Klingon episodes?

I didn't mind seeing the Gungans again...but where was Boss Nass when we (briefly) visit Otoh Gunga? And Jar Jar did provide a genuine laugh by saving Padme with a spit-lugi....(hey it wasn't a fart or poodoo joke for a change)...although since they bother having Jar Jar back, it's sad that Ahmed Best isn't doing the voice anymore...

I'll watch it again later and see if any more sticks...

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I didn't mind seeing the Gungans again...but where was Boss Nass when we (briefly) visit Otoh Gunga? And Jar Jar did provide a genuine laugh by saving Padme with a spit-lugi....(hey it wasn't a fart or poodoo joke for a change)...although since they bother having Jar Jar back, it's sad that Ahmed Best isn't doing the voice anymore...Do you mean Mr. Best's not doing it AFTER these 2 episodes? It sure sounded like him to me. Maybe no one else could do justice to Boss Nass' voice, aside from Brian Blessed (there are no problems with him, right?).

Battle Droid
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Looks like Nass retired.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Boss Nass was just walking with the funeral procession in ROTS, so maybe he was simply invited as a former ally of Padme (and explain his absence in the Clone Wars events).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2011, 03:30 PM
The only good thing about the over-obvious villain shark guy is that he was killed in the end so....good riddance to boring villain. The one thing that kept catching my eye about him was the TIE-Fighter wing-looking emblem on his chest....what was that about?

I didn't mind seeing the Gungans again...but where was Boss Nass when we (briefly) visit Otoh Gunga? And Jar Jar did provide a genuine laugh by saving Padme with a spit-lugi....(hey it wasn't a fart or poodoo joke for a change)...although since they bother having Jar Jar back, it's sad that Ahmed Best isn't doing the voice anymore...
The emblem is the Separatist emblem, which has been around at least since 2005.

Ahmed Best does play Jar Jar. In the seven episodes in which Jar Jar speaks on this show, only three from season one had him played by BJ Hughes. For the three since then (and the first, Bombad Jedi), he's been played by Best.

Anyway, after rewatching the premiere episodes and then Prisoners, I like this arc better. Yes, we all knew Lee-Char was going to be king, but it was still executed pretty well.

I liked how the Mon Cala buildings were based on their ships from ROTJ, which I hadn't realized the first time. I also noticed that Captain Ackbar's staff/blaster was based on the accessory from the 1983 vintage figure, which was never seen elsewhere. Very cool.

Oh, and Riff Tamsen's Jaws death was just awesome. :D

Tarpals appeared behind Yoda's hologram in the Otoh Gunga scene, so I don't think it's a spoiler to say that he'll be in the next episode as well. I'm looking forward to his return. Apparently he's a general now (I wonder if Jar Jar gave up the title when he became a representative?).

jedibear
09-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the clarification on Best/Jar Jar...just sounded a little "off" to me...glad he's still doing it since the character is moving away from bumbling fool to actually being helpful....

I caught that Kenner accessory reference for Ackbar right away...that was cool. And yes, the shark-head "Bruce" reference was pretty cool too...

I'll have to pay closer attention to that MonCal architecture when I watch it again...

JediTricks
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Was it me or did the over-eager prince kid sound like Lursa and Bator's whiny nephew from those TNG Klingon episodes?Ha! He totally did!

I didn't mind seeing the Gungans again...but where was Boss Nass when we (briefly) visit Otoh Gunga? I dunno, but isn't he in the trailer for the season? So it's weird that they will be using him, but didn't bother here.

Looks like Nass retired.Pretty sure he's in the trailer for the season.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2011, 02:47 PM
The episode guide for Shadow Warrior gives this synopsis:

When the leader of the Gungans, Boss Lyonie, is injured it's discovered there is an uncanny resemblance between the Boss and Jar Jar Binks. Binks must sway his people from rising against the Naboo and stopping a Separatist invasion led by General Grievous.
It sounds a lot like Kurosawa's film Kagemusha, which, of course, translates to "Shadow Warrior." That's pretty awesome.

Pretty sure he's in the trailer for the season.
I don't see him anywhere in this trailer (http://starwars.com/watch/tcw_s4_cntrailer.html). Are you sure you're not thinking of Tarpals?

So it looks like Lyonie is the current Boss. Nass is in ROTS wearing the Boss outfit at Padmé's funeral, so maybe he just likes those clothes. :p

JediTricks
09-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I've never seen that trailer before. It's not the one I saw on Cartoon Network.

El Chuxter
09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I've been lurking with nothing to say (mostly to have some idea of what's going on and to see if anything might actually be of interest). If the new episode is a Kurosawa homage, I might have to give the series another chance for the tenth time and hope it appeals more this time.

Though if they really want to impress me, do a Clone Wars remake of Dursu Usala somehow. :)

Battle Droid
09-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Tarpals appeared behind Yoda's hologram in the Otoh Gunga scene, so I don't think it's a spoiler to say that he'll be in the next episode as well. I'm looking forward to his return.

Tarpals appearance isn't the spoiler I was talking about.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2011, 09:22 PM
I've been lurking with nothing to say (mostly to have some idea of what's going on and to see if anything might actually be of interest). If the new episode is a Kurosawa homage, I might have to give the series another chance for the tenth time and hope it appeals more this time.

Though if they really want to impress me, do a Clone Wars remake of Dursu Usala somehow. :)
They've already done a few Kurosawa homages/remakes. Lightsaber Lost was Stray Dog, and Bounty Hunters was Seven Samurai. Both were in Season Two.

Tarpals appearance isn't the spoiler I was talking about.
What is, then? The battle? I don't think he's dying here or anything, as Grievous is only hitting him with the staff, not the saber. But I wouldn't be surprised if he bit it during this episode.

El Chuxter
09-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Innnnnnnnteresting. I'll have to check those out. :thumbsup:

Battle Droid
09-28-2011, 07:06 AM
What is, then? The battle? I don't think he's dying here or anything, as Grievous is only hitting him with the staff, not the saber. But I wouldn't be surprised if he bit it during this episode.

Sure looks like he's stabbing him with the electrostaff to me.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I haven't chuckled at a SW:CW episode in quite some time. "Boss" vs. Grievous scene was great. General Tarpals?

JimJamBonds
10-01-2011, 06:53 AM
I haven't chuckled at a SW:CW episode in quite some time. "Boss" vs. Grievous scene was great. General Tarpals?Yup, when Jar Jar was looking at the floor and then messing with the hight control of his chair I darn near lost it. I thought that was the perfect way to show somebody who was in a place where they didn't want to be pretending they were somebody else.

Although I must say yet another fight involving Smelly Boy and Dookers....ehhh. I think the "less is more."*

Trading Anakin for Grevious seems a pretty big deal, something that a senator would need to have ok'd by some sort of higher power.

Or do I have that totally wrong and they've only 'meet' in the movies?

Battle Droid
10-01-2011, 07:03 AM
You'd think the Jedi would suspect something is going on now between Padme and Anakin because of the trade now.

DarkJedi5
10-01-2011, 03:47 PM
What if no one ever out about the trade? The Seps know Grievous is captured but maybe the Naboo or Padme never reported it and then Anakin was already taken?

Blue2th
10-01-2011, 05:44 PM
This episode was enjoyable. Jar Jar was funny. The look and story had a nice feel to it. Lots of cool looking craft. I liked the transport and another version of the Gungan sub. The Neimoidian walker looked the style of the one Sidious holograph was on.
Padme was in her Battle outfit from Episode 1, if I'm not mistaken, so we might see her again in an animated version or better yet realistic updated or both. Too bad about Tarpals, but it was a good fight scene with Grievous

So Anakin and Grievous didn't actually meet, but it's the closest they've been to each other.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-03-2011, 02:23 AM
I enjoyed this episode quite a lot. It was a very fun TPM-flavored affair. Even though they've gone to Naboo before, it was good to see Otoh Gunga, a (somewhat different) bongo, Padmé's battle outfit, and kaadu; I especially liked the brief shot of Gungans riding kaadu underwater, that was cool.

It was striking to see Jar Jar and Grievous in the same scene, since they're so different. But the scene between them was pretty funny and it was nice to see such an unexpected match-up.

The battle between Grievous and the Gungans was fantastic. Grievous held his own for a while, but it was really cool to see the Gungans take him down with boomers. It's sad to see Tarpals go, but his sacrifice was really well done.

It was a little odd to have Tarpals and the Gungan warriors have such soft, round features when Jar Jar's are very harsh and angular as he hasn't gotten a redesign like the other main characters (even Padmé looks like a new model at this point).

At first I wondered why Padmé would be so willing to let the Separatists keep Anakin, but it shows that, even though she cares about him a great deal, she'll still do what's best for the Republic and its billions of citizens over what's good for just her. Anakin's exactly the opposite, of course, so it was interesting to see the difference there.

So Anakin and Grievous didn't actually meet, but it's the closest they've been to each other.
I thought this was quite interesting. Grievous didn't see Anakin's face, so he doesn't know how old he is. Anakin was unconscious, so he doesn't know how tall Grievous is. They're really pushing it here. :p

Next week's show with the droids on Aleen looks fun as well. This time last year we were getting into the heavy political episodes; these ones are a little more enjoyable. :D

JediTricks
10-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Last week's episode was alright. I think they should have spent another episode building up the Naboo/Gungan story instead of wasting 3 episodes on Mon Calamari. There was a lot more story going on with Naboo, and more villains, more betrayals, more reactions that could have been explored.

As for this week's episode, what was that, someone's homage to the old Droids cartoon? It wasn't bad, per se, but it wasn't good either, and it definitely wasn't Star Wars. Underground Tron tree people? Hairless, technologically-mixed Ewok-types? Why couldn't they just say "close the seal"? Because the episode would have been over in 3 minutes? And madame Deus Ex Machina... um, wha? Just weird. And everybody was an extra big jerk, and Wolffe's prosthetic eye all the time was gross.

I didn't care for the clone voice acting here, for the first time I can remember, it felt just plain and lifeless, nothing really to say except "big jerks who don't like 3PO or the natives" which is all very samey.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
I somewhat saw this episode. My dad called about halfway through, and I was watching on the non-DVR set, so in between the convesation I caught the gist of the show. R2 and Threepio as stars can hold an episode or two. I'm sure I can see it again on the replay this morning if I want; but I think I'm good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Well, I liked this one. I'm not sure what's going on with all the supernatural stuff going on lately (the Gungan magic, Orphne, etc.) but at least it shows there's still more to Star Wars than what we already know.

I really liked the animation on the Kindalo (the tree people). The jerky way they moved looked more like stop-motion than CGI.

I thought it was interesting that Artoo used his little water hose here just a few weeks after the Blu-ray deleted it (it was in the shield bunker freakout scene, and has since been replaced by moving parts).

It was also good to see Sinker and Boost again, and I liked the clones' new armor. Though I wonder why the pilots (including Warthog) still have the old phase I helmets.

I just realized that all the stories this season have involved two different peoples living on the same planet and the animosities between them that they must either overcome or, in this episode's case, reinforce. Quite strange that they're hitting that topic so much so far.

JimJamBonds
10-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I really liked the animation on the Kindalo (the tree people). The jerky way they moved looked more like stop-motion than CGI.Seemed like a LOTR rip off to me.

I'm not much of a fan of the droid episodes, especially when 3PO acts like a jerk to R2.

Tycho
10-10-2011, 07:17 AM
JediTricks summed up my opinion on this episode pretty well.

Regarding last week's, I forgot if General Grievous is in custody or if he got away? - Oh yeah - didn't they trade him to get Anakin back?

That was sort of stupid.

Anakin is a soldier when it comes down to it. Let him go as a casualty of war and let him attempt to escape or have the Jedi rescue him later, like he rescued Eeth Koth in a previous episode (and also tried to get Even Piel out alive, too).

Grievous is the leader of the Droid Army, and capturing him is akin to capturing Mace Windu or Yoda - the Jedi leaders of the Clone Army.

Trading for Anakin just didn't make sense - and Padme might be a Senator - but she doesn't have that kind of authority. Although, maybe Palpatine signed off on it - pretending it to be in deference to her - but actually so Grievous could be let go to keep the war going so that the Clones could occupy more worlds of the future Empire he's planning.

Dunno. But even Padme should know that trading Grievous for Anakin is a tactical error.

Cad Bane should have been called in, maybe holding a dozen Senators hostage or something like when they traded to free Ziro the Hutt. But speaking tactically, even a dozen Senators should have died patriotically for the Republic so that the government could hold Grievous and stop the war.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Whoa! I think I need Threepio's talents to translate "all over the place" in Huttese or Ubese...

Literary allusions:
- Gulliver's Travels
- Wizard of Oz

Star Wars references:
- "I have a bad feeling...," "be destroyed for sure," and other lines I cannot recall now
- Jawa-like mumbling and stun beam firing (plus R2's whine-and-fall-over)
- walking down canyon-type area, beign watched by small creatures
- firefight in corridor, with droids passing across, then seeking an escape pod
- Artoo hiding in small enclave
- Y-Wing crashing in similar fashion of snowspeeder on Hoth, or foggy clouds of Dagobah

Aside from the frequent storyline switching and brief confusion, it was pretty good. Especially considering it was basically the droids all the time. A protocol droid wielding a handheld weapon? And 47 forms of astromech combat?

[edit] I re-watched the DVR, and would add the following:
- Star Wars lines (opening crawl moral was the "Who's more foolish...?" line, plus "Did you hear that?" after an attack on the ship, "disintegrated for sure," "your worshipfulness," and "I heartily agree" )
- Padme on a hologram from R2, while in a narrow corridor on the ship

Tycho
10-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Even with all that, I was really indifferent to the episode.

I'm not a huge fan of the droids, and to be sure, there were much better episodes from the 80's Droids cartoon than this.

So I guess I should say who I'm a fan of:

Han Solo
Anakin in a temper tantrum
Obi-Wan on a day he's feeling wise for his years - no matter what his years

Anyway, these 3 are my major favorite characters.

JimJamBonds
10-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I was suprised not to have hated this newest episode, as BCJ it was full of not so subtle references to other stories. I'm ready for a more 'regular' episode.

Darth Metalmute
10-16-2011, 03:15 AM
I just got caught up on this season since the baseball season ended today.

The Mon Calamari episodes were okay, but needed major editing. If they took out all the times the prince said something like, "The next time you see me I will be king" or "The next time you see me you must fight" they could have saved an entire episode. The shark guy was ridiculous until he died, which was cool. I mean, come on, a shark guy? Millions of species in the universe and they create a sentient being that is a shark or sharklike? It just seems lazy. I just got a HD TV and the first breathtaking Clone Wars episodes I get to watch on it are three dank, dark underwater episodes.

The Naboo episode was interesting; should have been a two-parter. Was I the only one that found the fact that Amidala thought Jar-Jar looked like the leader to be sort of racist... "All Gungans look alike." What was the point of Anakin chasing after the bad guy? They all knew he was a traitor, why bother the chase? It's not like they were going to accept him back in the clan. In fact, why not force slam his speeder into a tree? I believe the writers are losing the ability to write for jedi. Amidala is a senator and is not in position to negotiate the trade of prisoners. Besides, Anakin deserved his fate. The trade of Grievous trivialized the sacrifice of Tarpals, considering he was the only Gungan worth a dang.

The droid arc was a waste of time. The first one was okay, but it just seemed pointless. It didn't continue or move the Clone Wars story in any direction except stop. I did like the tree people and at least it had a story. The second one was just horrible. It's almost as if they needed a filler episode and said, "Hey, I got an idea. Lets have R2-D2 and C-3P0 crash land on planet, solve a political dispute, take off, and just to be unique, repeat those very ideas. Then lets have them get captured by pirates, have them get attacked and captured by Grievous, have Grievous get attacked by the republic and save the droids." The word "coincidence" is thrown around a lot these days.....
And R2-D2 can fly a ship perfectly without any pilot and can take out multiple ships?!? If that's the case, why not fly all ships with astromech droids? Save the manpower for ground battles. Or for that matter, why not create a droid army to fight for you since the republic is supposed to value life? It's not like the technology doesn't exist, look across the battle lines. I'm coming to the realization that the Separatists are the real good guys. Had the Republic just accepted that Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme broke Separatist law, and not sent an entire army to save them, this whole conflict could have been avoided.

Tycho
10-16-2011, 03:55 AM
The Separatists want the galaxy to be like what America would be like if the 1% of Wall Street used the free market as a method to rule over everything....oh....wait. Nevermind.

I think Season 2 of the Clone Wars (bounty hunters) is the best they've done to date. The show's not bad, but it has gone downhill since Season 3 began. I wonder if there was a change in writers or if their expresso machine broke?

jedibear
10-16-2011, 10:17 AM
This season has been a bit of a mess so far....the Mon Cal arc had some good environment design but the villain was a visual cliche' and the Prince's voice had a whiny, contemporary sound to it and as Metalmute pointed out, he kept saying the same thing over and over...it was distracting.
The Naboo story did feel rushed and while it was cool to see Tarpals again, it was sad to see him used as a "red shirt" that had no dramatic punch.

Just watched the two Droid-focused episodes.

Wow. These were easily the worst episodes of this show yet. Total pointless filler. A few hoary old-story cliches strung together with barely-registering environments and hokey aliens. Was the "writing room" biding time on a Friday before the weekend or something? These episodes had NO POINT to them at all. NONE. In fact, the droids don't seem to fare well on this show...remember last season's little spa/torture "adventure"....
And on this sad note, the show takes a 2 week hiatus...here's hoping when it returns, it gets interesting again before we descend into Maul madness (sorry- having a tough time imagining Maul's return being anything but a lame, goofy, mess...want to be wrong though...).

I'd watched a few episodes of the Season 3 set I picked up on Saturday...the two opening "clone-centric" ones and the "Heroes on Both Sides" one...all three really strong episodes for different reasons....when the show's good....it's really good.

But when it slumps, woo-boy, it slumps bad....and the last two weeks have been bad...

Blue2th
10-16-2011, 10:43 AM
The Separatists want the galaxy to be like what America would be like if the 1% of Wall Street used the free market as a method to rule over everything....oh....wait. Nevermind.

I think Season 2 of the Clone Wars (bounty hunters) is the best they've done to date. The show's not bad, but it has gone downhill since Season 3 began. I wonder if there was a change in writers or if their expresso machine broke?

Remember the Separatists are really being controlled by the future Empire with head cheese Palpatine 1% at the reigns, and then....pow!

They are stretching it for stories here, but all in all it was ok. The first droids episode I kept wondering why the little guys didn't just push that lid back like JT said, but then maybe someone had to go down there and seek atonement too.
The second one was a little better. No prime directive here. Just falling on their leader and killing him changed that whole civilization. I thought it was funny the way C-3PO got them to choose their new leader, welcomed them to democracy, and left. A little irony in there.

Definitely see the Wizard of OZ reference and pretty much knew it was coming before R2 discovered the Pit Droids "behind the curtain" though surprised it was Pit Droids. They're more intelligent than one would think.
And hey an ASP-7 Droid with a flame thrower.

I dunno, I think it was ok to see a little random droid action here for a couple of episodes. It's better than drama in the Senate.

JimJamBonds
10-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't forget R2 is trained in over 42? forms of self defense!

Tycho
10-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Just falling on their leader and killing him changed that whole civilization. I thought it was funny the way C-3PO got them to choose their new leader, welcomed them to democracy, and left. A little irony in there.

Yes. Like George Bush goes to Iraq. It wasn't subtle at all.

Blue2th
10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Yes. Like George Bush goes to Iraq. It wasn't subtle at all.
An unfortunate or happy accident (depending on who benefits)
I think we need to wait for the Empire before the parallels fit and "democracy" is brought by force.

"Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy! And... we shall have peace".... "I love democracy"

of course now it's... "I will keep things bogged down in the Senate."

Innuendoes that kids might not catch, but us adults do, It's what makes Clone Wars interesting sometimes, as long as they stay out of the Senate for a while.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I was finally able to watch Nomad Droids. It was very disjointed, and everything that happened seemed to go by quickly and with no real consequence. I didn't hate it, but it was pretty clunky and bizarre. And yeah, the fact that they had basically the same story twice in a row (overthrowing oppressive political leaders) was strange.

I find it interesting that Adi Gallia is commanding the clones that, in ROTS, kill Stass Allie. I wonder if they got the two characters confused when designing the clones.

I liked seeing the ASP droid and the pit droids, though I wish they had used some of the TPM sound effects for the latter.

With this episode, we've now seen everything that was produced during Season Three (each production season is 26 episodes, though each season aired is 22 episodes). As with this time last year, it seems they're dumping the leftovers at this point as if to admit they know these episodes aren't their strongest. The Umbara arc looks pretty interesting, though.

Tycho
10-25-2011, 03:23 AM
I don't know if Umbara is the same planet as was in the Jedi Apprentice trilogy - but in those books, Lando was betting on the BLOB RACES!

I know....if you thought podracing was fast, BLOB RACING is the exact opposite. It's definitely an occasion for drinking, as it takes all day and then some for a BLOB to win a race.

But it would be funny to see in the cartoon show.

JEDIpartner
10-27-2011, 04:13 PM
This season's been pretty stinky so far. I enjoyed the first 2/3 of the first droids-centric episode and all of the second one for it's intentional comedy and ridiculousness. Beyond that, I cannot forgive the sloppy storytelling and horrible characterisations in the other episodes.

I am pretty confident that the Umbnobabyjesus arc will be better. If it's not, I might actually be dumping this series from my DVR list.

JediTricks
10-27-2011, 05:10 PM
The 2nd Droids episode there was a little more interesting just in the fact that it was doing some Star Wars stuff finally. But it was incredibly out of control without any point to it, and watching 3PO and R2 "die" was a bummer. The pit droids was a funny bit actually, but it got a little violent for my tastes.

Battle Droid
10-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm looking forward to tonights episode, new Jedi, clones, non-droid separatists, it's all good.

JimJamBonds
10-28-2011, 07:11 PM
... and watching 3PO and R2 "die" was a bummer. Yup, but it was interesting since we've never seen that before (or have we?)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Yup, but it was interesting since we've never seen that before (or have we?)Well, R2 in ROJ gets shocked and stops moving plus his jawa canyon escapade and TIE fighter blast in ANH, while Threepio is turned off and on by Chewie in ESB after being shot to pieces.

JimJamBonds
10-28-2011, 10:58 PM
This episode seemed like it had good potential but it just seemed to drag on. I can't say I'm all pumped up about seeing three more episodes in this arc.

Tycho
10-29-2011, 03:57 AM
The military realism was cool. It plays like every Vietnam movie.

Master Krell needs to say "Duh. Winning!" and "C'mon CT-735. Show them you have Tiger Blood!" Then the Platoon references would be complete.

Or they could find a Twi'lek girl who would love them long time to be "Full Plastic Jacket."

Meanwhile, was that a sarlaac - or a related species? That was cool.

I like how the AT-RT's deploy. I've questioned how useful they are to the GAR, but I see that here, as on Ryloth when Mace used them, they have a time and a place.

The ARC-170 and Republic Gunships are probably the most useful pieces of equipment in the GAR. The larger walkers are cool looking, but not terribly effective. Later on Hoth, the Rebel Alliance didn't have the equipment to fight General Veers because the X-wings were needed to protect the transports in space so they could run the Imperial blockade. There's a big difference in results between using snowspeeders and X-wings I'm sure.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-29-2011, 11:40 AM
This episode contains "moderate violence." MODERATE violence? Umbaran soldiers shot in the face? Clones hit from behind? Screams of agony? Spasms after being shocked to death? This one was heavy. Interesting to see how the next three turn out, but like JJB, I'm not excited about seeing them, simply intrigued.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2011, 05:19 PM
I quite liked this one, especially after the non-war-focused episodes that have been on lately. The different clone personalities (though most of them have been on before, if not featured as much) and armor were nice to see. I'm looking forward to the rest of this arc - I know Walter Murch directed one of the episodes.

And turns out I was wrong about the last of the season three episodes having aired - there are still two more. Darkness on Umbara seems to be 4.2; we've still yet to see 3.24, 3.25, or 4.1, and it looks like this arc was produced out of order.

jedibear
10-29-2011, 08:48 PM
This week's episode pulled me back to high interest in this show in a big way, especially after the waterlogged opening ones (with that lame "shark man" villain) and the droid-dreck that followed.

This was "The Clone Wars" to me....heck, it almost felt like Karen Traviss (Republic Commandos" books) had a hand in here. Not since "Landing at Point Rain" have we seen such a strong, clone-centered story that didn't count on endless quips and featured intense scenes of battle where the danger felt "real" to both sides.

Seems like everyone, from the artists to the voice talent to the writers felt revitalized with this one. The planet was exotic and visually stunning and the atmospherics were effective and gorgeously rendered. The direction, from "camera moves" to shot set-ups, was full of energy and excitement and the action was extreme but coherent...something that's often lacking in big-budget movies these days. The attention to detail, from the character movement to the vehicles and environments, just popped off the screen...it looked fanatastic!

Even the voice talent sounded better than usual, with Dee Bradley Baker making different clones sound more distinctive than ever and there were no vocal "sore thumbs" (like that whiny kid prince for the Mon Cal episodes)...everyone sounded great.

I hope the rest of this arc is as effective...we could be seeing some of the best of "Clone Wars" yet....

JediTricks
11-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Yup, but it was interesting since we've never seen that before (or have we?)

Well, R2 in ROJ gets shocked and stops moving plus his jawa canyon escapade and TIE fighter blast in ANH, while Threepio is turned off and on by Chewie in ESB after being shot to pieces.We haven't seen it before, but BCJ is right that we've seen then deactivated in other ways, and the ion-blast in the Tatooine canyon waking up on the Sandcrawler was similar.

This episode seemed like it had good potential but it just seemed to drag on. I can't say I'm all pumped up about seeing three more episodes in this arc.TOTALLY agree with you there. The battles wanted to be Point Rain, but instead just felt aimless and drawn out. Visually it was also confused, a lot of colored lasers flying but not a lot of heroes or targets to focus on, and the dark planet only made that worse.

And then when we get to the mean jerk character, his tactics just aren't believable as an alternative. I see what they're going for, it's been done in other military stories before, but the Jedi are supposed to be wise, not merely rising in the ranks for whatever alternative reasons. If they had at least shown Krell to be old-fashioned, trying to fight battles the way they used to (like the British using advancing lines against guerrilla tactics and sharpshooters and cannons) or having previously fought using only a bigger attachment of clones making it possible to cut through lines using brute force, it might have at least been reasonable instead of a big stinking problem for the story.

This episode contains "moderate violence." MODERATE violence? Umbaran soldiers shot in the face? Clones hit from behind? Screams of agony? Spasms after being shocked to death? This one was heavy. Interesting to see how the next three turn out, but like JJB, I'm not excited about seeing them, simply intrigued.I thought that as well about "Moderate Violence". I think the TV ratings system makes that term the most violence you can have and still be rated TV-PG. The second "V" in TV-14-V stands for "intense violence", and in TV-MA-V it's "graphic violence", but honestly, you're right, this was fairly intense.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I might have to owe CW and Cartoon Network an apology; this one was one of the best in the 4-year run so far. The sound effects were among the best (that centipede tank was a weird one), interesting visuals and colors, it continued the realities-of-war issue from the first episode in this story arc, and still had some humor and banter (that wasn't too cheesy). Rex's clenched fist towards the end was an appropriate symbol of the whole show.

jedibear
11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Agreed...the second episode of this arc continued the high quality started in last week's episode. As I mentioned about last week's episode, it's almost like the whole team behind this show has gotten re-energized - everything from character animation and vocal performances to environmental/atmosphere is just off-the-charts good! And I loved the centipede tank sequence - cool vehicle design, great sounds. The whole episode continued the intense level of danger and energy started in last week's installment.

Keep it up, CW!

And finally... (spoiler here)
What was that quick zoom towards the end of the episode to the Generals eye with the reflection of dancing flames and almost Sith-like colors about?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-05-2011, 05:13 PM
And finally... (spoiler here)Hmm, I never even considered that, and as I only watched it live, sans DVR, I cannot go back and check. If only the station would rerun episodes, or if some website had such clips...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Indeed, this episode was spectacular. This was the one directed by Walter Murch, and apparently he spent a lot of time getting everything right, and it definitely shows. The attack on the crawler tanks was one of the best action sequences this show has ever had, and Dee Bradley Baker's work as all the clones was just phenomenal. I've been watching the show on my computer lately, which is fine, but I really want to be able to watch this arc back-to-back on TV when it's done.

It was good to finally see Appo, who's a sergeant here. He's the clone who talks to Bail in ROTS, and he's a commander by that point, so I'd been wondering when he was going to show up. The Umbaran technology is really weird and interesting, too.

jedibear, I'm thinking that the moment you mentioned in spoiler text was just meant to be showing the fire in Krell's eyes, and nothing more. Dexter Jettster had yellow eyes as well, so it must just be a Besalisk thing. The fact that Krell has been leading the clones from the back has been interesting, but I want to see him bust out those lightsabers again. :p

When there are clone-centered episodes, and the show's firing on all cylinders, that's when this series is at its best, at least for me. So far, this arc is definitely fitting that bill.

JimJamBonds
11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I know its only a cartoon but when those troopers were looking at that one particular piece of enemy hardware (don't recall what it was) a clone says "not a lot of juice left in that one" and then the other trooper finishes off a enemy soldier saying "not left in that one either." Umm wow.... what about kids watching!?!?!

JediTricks
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
This was a better episode, but I still felt like the writing was dubious. We see General Jedi Krell actively holding back support for his troops simply to appease his ego or something - that is unacceptable for a wise Jedi Knight, they need to give a reasonable justification for that sort of action, even if he were to not value clones as people, they are still expensive Republic army materiel and not to be wasted; if they had wanted an arrogant, wasteful, troop-wasting leader story, they should have had a non-Jedi pull it off. Also, the idea that 2 clones could carry out a mission to infiltrate and capture enemy vehicles didn't fit the tone of the rest of the episode, though neither did the utterly ridiculous centipede tanks.

JimJamBonds
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
This was a better episode, but I still felt like the writing was dubious. We see General Jedi Krell actively holding back support for his troops simply to appease his ego or something - that is unacceptable for a wise Jedi Knight, they need to give a reasonable justification for that sort of action, even if he were to not value clones as people, they are still expensive Republic army materiel and not to be wasted; if they had wanted an arrogant, wasteful, troop-wasting leader story, they should have had a non-Jedi pull it off. Also, the idea that 2 clones could carry out a mission to infiltrate and capture enemy vehicles didn't fit the tone of the rest of the episode, though neither did the utterly ridiculous centipede tanks.Yeah those centipede tanks were just plain silly.

I haven't seen all of the CW series but it feels a bit weird that the clones are fighting 'another species' and not a droid army/ droid and 'another species' army. Has that happened before or no?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-07-2011, 10:57 PM
I haven't seen all of the CW series but it feels a bit weird that the clones are fighting 'another species' and not a droid army/ droid and 'another species' army. Has that happened before or no?
The clones have fought sentient beings a few times before - Talz and Weequay in small skirmishes, Geonosians alongside battle droids, and Quarren alongside aqua droids (when the clones had the help of Mon Calamari and Gungans). So I guess there have really only been two other big battles where the opposing forces consisted of living beings aside from the Umbarans.

Blue2th
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
They're not making Krell very likable at all. A lot like many generals in real wars of the past, where soldiers were cannon fodder and extensions of their egos. Definitely can sympathize with the Clones here.
Perhaps he needs an early order 66, or some ironic death is planned for him in the next episode. I don't think Anakin is going to be very happy with him at least. And why was he called away? Something very sidious about this.

JediTricks
11-10-2011, 06:53 PM
The clones have fought sentient beings a few times before - Talz and Weequay in small skirmishes, Geonosians alongside battle droids, and Quarren alongside aqua droids (when the clones had the help of Mon Calamari and Gungans). So I guess there have really only been two other big battles where the opposing forces consisted of living beings aside from the Umbarans.And I think this is the only big battle they've been in with a race that fans didn't know too well (the only Umbaran previous to this episode arc was Sly Moore, I believe, who had no real activity in the movies except looking unusual).

JediTricks
11-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Anybody notice the Z-95 Headhunters in 2 weeks ago's episode of TCW, Darkness on Umbara? I was looking up the Z-95 Headhunter and in the Behind the Scenes section, it mentions that it was in the episode, they had a naming issue in the script ("z-85"), and sure enough, on the version on the official site right in the beginning there they are, and again in the hangar, and escorting the gunships down to the planet. They don't quite stand out, despite being in more than 1 shot, and don't quite look right - overly wide wings, and fully round engines instead of flat on the bottom - but it's interesting to see them realized in a moving medium.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I saw them as well. Originally the episode guide did refer to them as Z-85, though that's been changed; I think the crew must have wanted to make it the predecessor to the Z-95, but the Z-95s were already around during the Clone Wars, so they removed the "Z-85" mention. That's probably why they look different, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Of the three episodes in this four-story arc, this one falls in the middle. The action was okay, but the dissension between the clones was interesting. I liked the pixelated holograms, using the Umbaran technology. Krell's decision at the end will be facinating to see if it's true. Anyone else wondering why Jedi General Krell doesn't sense how the clones were obviously lying about what happened, or about their plans? Is he even a real Jedi?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-12-2011, 03:26 PM
This one wasn't as spectacular as last week's, but it was still pretty great. The space battle visuals and facial animation were phenomenal. The cubist hologram was awesome as well.

Krell is such a heartless person that, yeah, something must be up there.

In next week's episode guide, it says that Krell wants Rex to carry out the orders. I wonder how this one will play out?

DarkJedi5
11-12-2011, 03:51 PM
My question here is that in ROTS the clones are meant to be mindlessly obedient when Order 66 is given, executing their Jedi generals (whom they have served under for years throughout the Clone Wars) without a second thought. Yet here, the clones are chaffing under the leadership of Krell and openly debating orders they disagree with. If the clones are willing to go against the orders they disagree with (or at least voice their objections) then do they dislike the Jedi enough to kill them without batting an eye? Are they trained to hate the Jedi during their initial training on Kamino? If so, why hasn't General Krell caught a stray laser blast already?

JimJamBonds
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM
In next week's episode guide, it says that Krell wants Rex to carry out the orders. I wonder how this one will play out?Either: 1) Krell will get killed or 2) they will come to some sort of understanding.

While there have been good parts I don't really see the need to milk this out over 4 episodes.

crazydave75
11-13-2011, 08:53 AM
maybe theres something in the genetic code of the clones like a trigger word that gets them to shut down all their independence and obey like hypnosis of some kind hence when order 66 is given it brainwashes them?

Blue2th
11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
A test from Palpatine? This is the 501st, Anakin's unit. Sidious is behind this I'm sure. He called away Anakin, he obviously knows how bad Krell is. He's hardening them perhaps for the final order.

I like this story arc. It's bringing out deeper things going on in the Clones personality, and lots of issues like loyalty, honor, duty, betrayal, ruthlessness, discrimination etc.

Krell's putting Rex in a difficult situation.

JimJamBonds
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
maybe theres something in the genetic code of the clones like a trigger word that gets them to shut down all their independence and obey like hypnosis of some kind hence when order 66 is given it brainwashes them?Like say for example "Execute order 66"?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Some of the "newer generation" clones, like Dogma, seem to follow orders more obediently than older ones, like Rex and Fives. I assume they'll give a more involved explanation for this later on in the series, maybe that no matter how close the clones are to the Jedi, their ultimate loyalty is to the Republic and its leader.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Like say for example "Execute order 66"?Do any clones have two 6s together in their numeric names? Maybe that is the trigger. "You will now act like a chicken walker when I snap my fingers..."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
This episode was simply amazing. The ending with Krell's confession was maybe a little cliche in the way it was done, but still interesting enough, and I didn't really see that coming. Maybe I need to pay better attention. :p

At first, I thought the Umbarans really did take clone armor and disguise themselves in it, perhaps taking a page from Hardcase, Fives, and Jesse taking their ships last time. But seeing the 212th armor made me realize what was truly going on. It gave me chills, as did most of the episode. Krell wasting the clones was genuinely creepy.

I always love the clone-centered episodes, and this arc was the finest collection of them yet. Just a spectacularly well done series. Now more than ever, I'm thinking Rex will leave the Republic before the end of the war, opening up a whole universe of stories to tell with him.

And of course, this was perhaps the saddest clone death we've seen on this show. RIP Waxer. :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-19-2011, 10:49 AM
This was a TV show where the "middle" surprise was more shocking than the "ending" one. I also thought there was a cliche confession, but it sets up the potential for other Jedi who might feel that way. I wonder if they would ever do a "flash-forward," where the clones, now as stormtroopers in the 501st, recall some campaign from the CW-era.

El Chuxter
11-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I really hated that one guy, you know, the red one with the tentacles instead of fingers. It was obnoxious how they made him talk like Howard Cossell, and his catch phrase was stupid. Also, how he rescued Padme was a bit farfetched, and am I really supposed to believe she's having an affair with him?

And the Barenaked Ladies cameo in the cantina, man, that was just too much. Especially when Jabba said they were his favorite band. Barenaked Bothans? Just plain dumb. (Though I did think the poster for their song, "Be My Y'o'k'o O-Noh" was a little clever, if inappropriate.)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I really hated that one guy, you know, __________________. It was __________ how they made him _____________, and his _________ was stupid. Also, how he rescued _______ was a bit farfetched, and am I really supposed to believe _______________?

And the _________ cameo in ________, man, that was just too much. Especially when ______ said they _____________. __________? Just plain _______. (Though I did think the ____________, "_________" was a little ______, if i_________.)Ah. A perfect time for Madlibs, Clone Wars edition. :D

Blue2th
11-21-2011, 09:37 AM
I didn't see it coming either. I just thought Krell was bigot Jedi, but still aligned with the republic.

Good episode.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Kidnapped was okay, but kind of unremarkable, especially coming off the Umbara arc. I wasn't big on the Obi vs. Darts D'Nar fight; Obi-Wan seemed to get his butt whooped too easily, even if he was just stalling. The Togruta architecture was odd, as it all looked like their heads. The idea of exploring Anakin's past as a slave is interesting, so hopefully it's done more, well, interestingly next time. Overall it felt like something we would have seen back in Season One.

For the continuity cops, this seems to be the same plot of a Clone Wars comic based on the show, where Zygerrian slavers take Togruta from Kiros. I'm not sure what all has been changed.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I found myself over-analyzing this one. The ship is flying through the atmosphere, yet it was as if if was standing still whenever Anakin or Ahsoka were "falling" off it. For getting beaten up quite a bit, all that happened to Obi-Wan was that his CGI hair got a little askew. That last "activated" bomb sure took a long time to... not blow up. And... the citizens can't be found on the planet... at all! :eek: I did like those new sidecar cannon speeder bikes, though. Overall, it was decent I suppose.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Some pretty serious subject matter over the past few episodes: the treatment of slaves in this one was realistic, but brutal. Obi-Wan took punches better when stalling for time for Anakin to disarm the bombs last time; this time, he's bloodied, bruised, looked beaten (literally and figuratively). Will there be a "slave outfit" Ahsoka figure? Anakin's "smooth talk" was a little odd and creepy, for a "kids" cartoon, at least.

Oh, by the way, I liked this Clone Wars: Let's Like Totally Rip Off Return of the Jedi episode (even down to the "Return of the Jedi" themesong playing when Artoo shoots the lightsabers out of his dome launcher). :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2011, 04:46 PM
This one was better at dealing with the subject matter than the last one, I feel. The designs were more interesting (I liked the Middle Eastern feel), and it was cool to see so many different species from throughout the show's run return (Talz, Moogans, Muuns, Gamorreans, and Gorga the Hutt). I liked the way the flying creatures glided - it was like geckos, or something. Anakin's reactions to seeing slavery were less forced this time, as well. I wasn't sure this was going to be a three-parter, but hopefully Escape from Kadavo will air before the holiday break.

I liked the ROTJ homage in the arena battle; they've done things like this before, and I don't really feel like it was a ripoff as it was just a fun moment and not a huge deal.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I liked the ROTJ homage in the arena battle; they've done things like this before, and I don't really feel like it was a ripoff as it was just a fun moment and not a huge deal.I liked it, too, but there were quite a few "homages" throughout:
- heroes infiltrate palace in guard disguises
- Artoo with TWO lightsabers shot out (and "ROJ" theme song in background)
- female hero in slave outfit
- queen's comment about "at my side," "your friends," and "pitiful" in Palpatine's tone of voice
- gate in Ahsoka's prison cell looked like ones in Jabba's dungeon
- Twi'lek slave goes against slave owner, falls down to death (granted, by her own choice here)

Again, it was still a good one.

JediTricks
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I really didn't like Friday's episode, and it bums me out because so much effort to create new things - new places, beasts, vistas, weapons, etc. - was wasted on an incredibly poor script. The big plan made no sense at any point. Showing up in their own ship in their own armor but clearly a different race, with the most famous Jedi in the galaxy and a guy who looks exactly like every Republic clone trooper, and pretending to have only 1 slave?!? That mediocre "rescue" of the governor which ended in stupidity? It was just so many wrong turns and missteps driving the plot forward, such a convoluted mess, only so they could rip off the Tatooine portion of ROTJ was an embarrassment of bad writing. And it was a ripoff, not an homage. An homage pays loving respect to the material it is reflecting upon, Friday's episode merely lifted element after element after element straight from ROTJ in the laziest manner possible, there wasn't an original element in there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I'll repost about the fact that this arc is based on a Clone Wars comic series, Slaves of the Republic (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars:_Slaves_of_the_Republic) . It looks like what has happened so far fits with the comic more or less, aside from some character redesigns and that sort of thing, so it's more an adaptation than any of the previous, er, "borrowings" from the EU have been (and it's from its own comic based on the show, so now it's retconning something designed to fit with the show itself).

Tycho
12-07-2011, 06:20 AM
I'm not sure I would have gone there - repeating a comic. but Anakin dealing with slavery is important for his character - and Ahsoka's I guess, since Togrutus seemed to be rounded up and taken as slaves like we've seen done with Wookiees and Twi'leks.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-10-2011, 03:49 AM
It looks like they're going back through the Season Four episode guides and updating them with new trivia slideshows. I really missed the trivia from the previous ones, so I'm glad they're at least doing this now. I just read, for instance, that Prince Lee-Char is supposed to be named like Char-lee, after Charlie Tuna. Oh lord. :p

Darth Metalmute
12-16-2011, 07:09 PM
And... the citizens can't be found on the planet... at all!

The jedi can feel the deaths of billions on people halfway around the galaxy, yet can't sense if there are any people in the city they are in?

I like the series but when will the writers remember that the main characters are Jedi?

I'm with JT on the second episode of the arc. "We go through all this trouble to disguise ourselves in order to infiltrate the enemy, but one governor faints and it's okay to blow our cover?" What exactly was the plan anyways? Find out where the slaves are and bring in a battle force that cannot be spared?

Tycho
12-16-2011, 09:17 PM
So do we get the conclusion tonight? Or just how long is this hiatus, and why are they taking one in the middle of a 3-part story arc?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-16-2011, 10:00 PM
So do we get the conclusion tonight? Or just how long is this hiatus, and why are they taking one in the middle of a 3-part story arc?

The final episode in this arc is January 6. I think it's just poor planning on the part of Cartoon Network. Or maybe they're not proud of these, since they didn't really advertise them at all, and it seems like a weak way to bring it back for the second half of the season. There's a Death Watch episode the week after, so hopefully it'll pick back up around then.

Tycho
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I like the slaver episodes.

They're different.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Premier Vizla and Gang again, too.

JediTricks
01-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Tonight we get another CW episode, the conclusion to whatever happened 3 weeks ago.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-07-2012, 01:17 AM
I thought this one was visually great, with cool action, but for some reason it's still been hard to get as into this arc as others in this series. I'm going to rewatch a lot of Season Four soon, so it might help to watch them back-to-back as opposed to spread out over too many weeks. The most interesting thing here, for me, was when Obi-Wan said he wouldn't kill an unarmed prisoner, and basically left it up to Rex to do the dirty work. That was a nice reflection of the Jedi and clones' roles in the war, to an extent.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the return of Death Watch next week, and the bounty-hunter-palooza shown in the Cartoon Network teaser. Cad Bane is finally back, and hopefully Embo will have more stuff to do this time. The Season Three DVD revealed that Bossk will return at some point (with a new, sharper redesign to be more menacing like the Trandoshans from Season Three), so hopefully he and Boba will be around for the fun as well.

Having watched the first few Season Three episodes with a friend recently, it's remarkable how much more cinematic this series has already become in that time, particularly after the developments in the Trandoshan episodes.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-07-2012, 11:24 AM
It was nice to have the most-recent epsiode on just before this new one. I thought the wrap-up was good; characters reacted as expected (Rex's ferocity, Obi-Wan's commitment to Jedi ideals, Anakin being rash but trying to be in control, Ahsoka following commands somewhat reluctantly, guards being cruel, Dooku taking no guff from anyone). For being put to hard labor with minimal food, the slaves sure were fast runners and nimble cable climbers at the end. And "parking" the cruiser under the base? Hmm.

Tycho
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I like this episode

Tycho
01-07-2012, 03:10 PM
The Slavers were using SkipRay blastboats to fight the ARC Fighters.

Skiprays were flown by Luke and Mara on Myrkr in Heir to the Empire.

I started a thread about making toy versions of these in the CW toy forum.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-08-2012, 02:27 PM
The Slavers were using SkipRay blastboats to fight the ARC Fighters.

Skiprays were flown by Luke and Mara on Myrkr in Heir to the Empire.

I started a thread about making toy versions of these in the CW toy forum.
As I said in the other thread: Close, but no cigar.

One thing I forgot to mention that bothered me a little was how some characters pronounced "Zygerria" or "Zygerrian" with a hard "g," while others pronounced it with a soft one. Sort of like the Twy'lek/Twee'lek thing. When I rewatch them, I'll have to see if it's a difference between Zygerrians and non-Zygerrians, or something.

JediTricks
01-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I thought this one was visually great, with cool action, but for some reason it's still been hard to get as into this arc as others in this series. I'm going to rewatch a lot of Season Four soon, so it might help to watch them back-to-back as opposed to spread out over too many weeks. The most interesting thing here, for me, was when Obi-Wan said he wouldn't kill an unarmed prisoner, and basically left it up to Rex to do the dirty work. That was a nice reflection of the Jedi and clones' roles in the war, to an extent.I think the problem with this episode was that so much of the drama fell to this episode to carry, it was really 2 episodes' worth crammed into half the amount of time they needed. Rex was also such a non-entity for this arc because of the lack of time that it was frustrating, nobody friend or foe mentions him and his skills up until it's time for Obi-Wan to talk to someone during the battle. There was probably a whole episode worth of material just from Rex's duality about being a subservient slave to the Republic being a clone trooper, yet being a clearly defined individual who wouldn't want to be enslaved, yet that whole tack got left out.

Kenobi didn't seem terribly wise during all of this, he reacted much the way anyone in the situation would rather than like a confident, well-trained, wizardly Jedi Master. Honestly, I couldn't see Qui-Gon falling for the pitfalls they had Obi-Wan suffering.

And I got nothing out of Anakin's plotline, it's supposed to be the crux of the episode and yet there's no conflict, no anger, no reflection, just reaction - the character as a plot device.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2012, 09:16 PM
A Friend in Need was more back on track. I suppose my biggest complaint is that it left me wanting more, though Dave Filoni says that the Death Watch will be expanded upon even more in Season Five, so I suppose this one episode is better than nothing. The female Mandalorian, Bo-Katan, was evidently a last-minute addition, and it shows. Aside from her, it was nice to get Jon Favreau back as Pre Vizsla (and perhaps the stress of the war is making his hair fall out :p ).

Still, it was a pretty interesting episode otherwise. The fact that Lux is actively looking for alternatives to the Republic and the Separatists leads me to believe that Ahsoka may end up doing the same at the end of the war. They were certainly laying it on thick with the hints to their relationship tonight. On the action note, Ahsoka decapitating four troopers simultaneously was pretty awesome. :eek:

Next week starts the four-part bounty hunter arc, so there are only four more left after that.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
A Friend in Need was more back on track. I suppose my biggest complaint is that it left me wanting more...

Still, it was a pretty interesting episode otherwise.... On the action note, Ahsoka decapitating four troopers simultaneously was pretty awesome. :eek:That's good TV then, from a producer's POV.

I liked the "void" look to the Mandolorian "lightsaber," too.

JediTricks
01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Seemed like an ok episode, but as cool as it was to see Ahsoka kill those 4 guys, the idea that her 2 lightsabers couldn't best one jerk with a single darksaber and NO Force skills was a tad difficult to swallow. Death Watch sure doesn't seem to stand for anything though, just being violent jerks, like a biker gang from a badly-written TV show or something along those lines - kinda made having a PEACE ACCORD held on their planet really stupid.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Death Watch sure doesn't seem to stand for anything though, just being violent jerks, like a biker gang from a badly-written TV show or something along those lines - kinda made having a PEACE ACCORD held on their planet really stupid.
Death Watch and the planet Mandalore don't really have any connection at this point - after Pre Vizsla's plan to take over the planet were halted in Season Two, he fell out of favor with Dooku, and now they are indeed just a roving sort of biker gang as opposed to the militia they used to be.

JediTricks
01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Death Watch and the planet Mandalore don't really have any connection at this point - after Pre Vizsla's plan to take over the planet were halted in Season Two, he fell out of favor with Dooku, and now they are indeed just a roving sort of biker gang as opposed to the militia they used to be.
Not buying it though. You won't be seeing a lot of peace accords taking place in Iraq or Afghanistan for a while, despite leadership changes, because they are still identified as being unsafe places with unstable elements close at hand.

Plus, that Death Watch armored look is "Mandalorian". :p

Tycho
01-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Death Watch was not on Mandalore, I believe.

Lux took Ahsoka to another planet once they escaped the Commando Droids' clutches.

So the peace accords Padme was attending were actually on a neutral, stable planet, Mandalore.

Premier Vizla was not on that planet.

Yes. He is a jerk.

I'm not sure I get the whole Mandalorian thing:

In ancient times, the Raiders practiced Mandalorian arts and used Mandalorian Technology.

I think the first Mandolore (leader) was an alien behind the mask.

Mandalorians were like Ninjas. Not a RACE but a culture that could be joined and practiced.

Now, the animated show may have done poorly at retconning the Mandalorians as a blonde-blue-eyed RACE.

Jango / Boba practiced their arts, but they weren't of their race - just used their equipment.

And I guess they just wear Mandalorian armor and the Fetts are not Mandalorian????

Not sure I like where all of this is headed.

I had supposed the Mandalorians must be named after something though. Were Ninjas? I know what Ninjitsu is, but what is the art's name's origin?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2012, 12:09 AM
In the series, the humans from the planet itself are mostly blonde and blue-eyed, though this can vary somewhat (Bo-Katan is a redhead, and some of the kids from The Academy had brown or red hair). The planet Mandalore had a violent past, and now the surface is mostly wiped out from the devastation, which is why the cities are located in bubbles and there is very little nature to be seen.

Death Watch - the violent faction that wants to bring back the warrior ways of the planet's past - were exiled to Mandalore's moon, Concordia (based on Concord Dawn from the comics), where they were thought to have died out but were in fact still around. After their failed takeover of Mandalore, Pre Vizsla and at least some of the group relocated to Carlac, the snowy planet with cherry blossoms seen in the show.

Prime Minister Almec was the one who told Obi-Wan that Jango had stolen the Mandalorian armor. In my mind, it's unclear whether he was lying - he was later revealed to be corrupt, but he could have just been lying to make it look like Jango had no association with the planet even if he truly did.

I'm not completely sure how this fits in with everything from the EU. Even though Mandalorians are all humans in the show, that doesn't necessarily mean that people from other species and other planets couldn't be part of their previous warrior cultures, or that there aren't other factions aside from Death Watch. The show often simplifies things for clarity (for instance, not showing Aurra Sing's EU Force abilities so as not to confuse her with Ventress due to their similar appearances), but that doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of the EU has to be completely ignored.

Anywho, this clip (http://youtu.be/_McnOx5Dr9s) from the next episode features a couple of familiar faces. I'm glad to see the shock troopers finally appear as well. It looks pretty damn awesome!

Tycho
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Oooh goodie. A prison drama episode.

I wonder if Morgan Freeman will lend his voice talents to play one of the characters?

Or would that be so obtuse?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-21-2012, 10:19 AM
The opener of this prison/bounty hunter arc was fun! Aside from some of the gritty prison stereotypes (tough guy challenge at meal time, meeting newbie in jail cell, guards talking tough) the action was good. The shock of the opening scene wore off after a brief time, but the other details related to a certain famous Jedi (both, in fact) were done quite well. Escape was interesting (several homages to OT detention centers). Can't wait until the next one... but I will just have to anyway.

JediTricks
01-21-2012, 05:51 PM
This didn't feel like a complete story, but it also didn't feel like a story that would take 2 hours to tell. And I kept wondering what happened to the idea of sensing someone's loss in the Force, and sensing their presence. Aside from that, it wasn't terrible but felt a little worn simply by having seen other shows pull a similar gag before. Also, I was a little surprised that they kept Boba in a prison for adults, and then he doesn't actually do much of anything in this episode after being hyped up.

It's been so long, I couldn't remember whether or not we had seen Cad Bane captured and put in prison, I'm leaning towards no despite conversation between the Jedi.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Best part: Jedi barbers! :D Worst part: voice changing "candy." :eek:

As for Bane in jail, the look of the jail cell seemed familiar, so I'm sure it appeared sometime in the past episodes (or it was another criminal). And, no prisoners with 4-digit orange jumpsuit numbers? Where's the 1138, eh? :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I quite liked this one. It was, of course, mostly setup, but I'm excited for the next three, so I guess it's a good setup, eh?

It's been so long, I couldn't remember whether or not we had seen Cad Bane captured and put in prison, I'm leaning towards no despite conversation between the Jedi.
That hasn't been shown on the show. The last time Bane appeared was Hunt for Ziro in fall 2010, where he escaped from Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos. Even with that season's convoluted timeline, that's the latest he has appeared in the timeline as well (even though it takes place directly after Season One's Hostage Crisis).

Bel-Cam, the prison appeared in Season Three's Assassin, when Anakin and Ahsoka talk to Ziro while he's in jail. I suppose the exterior appears in Hostage Crisis when he's released, but we don't see the inside then.

Bane and Boba's jumpsuit numbers corresponded to their Clone Wars figures' numbers, which I think is a funny touch.

Tycho
01-24-2012, 04:26 AM
I really liked this episode.

But what are they going to do with the real dude who Obi-Wan is impersonating.

Anakin locked him up. Aren't others going to find out and use this information to blow Obi-Wan's cover?

Bossk? Boba Fett? But they don't like the new guy much. I can only guess whether they like or hate Cad Bane.

As to Boba being in adult prison? Well, look how he interacted with the Clone kids. There probably isn't a juvenile hall that could hold him. Plus Bossk protects him.

I wonder how the Clone guards feel about Boba though? Then again, they might (or should) protect Boba too - he is their brother and the real son of Jango Fett.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2012, 02:50 PM
I really liked this episode.

But what are they going to do with the real dude who Obi-Wan is impersonating.

Anakin locked him up. Aren't others going to find out and use this information to blow Obi-Wan's cover?
Anakin locked up Obi-Wan in disguise, who then went to the jail. The Jedi have the real Hardeen in their own secret custody, I believe.

Tycho
01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
No way.

Anakin locked up the real Hardin.

If that was Obi-Wan in disguise that he locked up, he would have felt his presence in the Force.

Furthermore, the "performance" of Obi-Wan's assasination over with, I think Obi-Wan would have told Anakin then and there, what the plan was, because Anakin would no longer HAVE to believe that Obi-Wan was dead at that point.

Once Hardin would be captured, Anakin wouldn't have any reason to continue raging through the city in pursuit of justice for Obi-Wan, unless he is going to try and learn who (obviously the Jedi, in secret) hired Hardin, to kill Obi-Wan.

If you're right, and you could be, the show didn't do a successful job at communicating to me WHO Anakin locked up. I believe it was the real Hardin.

How else could Anakin get so close and not know he was dealing with Obi-Wan, even if Obi-Wan tried to cloak his identity in the Force (like a Sith such as Palpatine would)?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-26-2012, 01:47 AM
No way.

Anakin locked up the real Hardin.

If that was Obi-Wan in disguise that he locked up, he would have felt his presence in the Force.

Furthermore, the "performance" of Obi-Wan's assasination over with, I think Obi-Wan would have told Anakin then and there, what the plan was, because Anakin would no longer HAVE to believe that Obi-Wan was dead at that point.

Once Hardin would be captured, Anakin wouldn't have any reason to continue raging through the city in pursuit of justice for Obi-Wan, unless he is going to try and learn who (obviously the Jedi, in secret) hired Hardin, to kill Obi-Wan.

If you're right, and you could be, the show didn't do a successful job at communicating to me WHO Anakin locked up. I believe it was the real Hardin.

How else could Anakin get so close and not know he was dealing with Obi-Wan, even if Obi-Wan tried to cloak his identity in the Force (like a Sith such as Palpatine would)?
I understand your confusion, but Anakin apprehended Obi-Wan and sent him to jail. That's why...well, that's why he's in jail shortly thereafter. That's the entire point of the plan. The real Rako is in a deep sleep, induced by Mace Windu. Perhaps you're confused since we see the real Rako go into a deep sleep, and later we see a "drunk Rako" being apprehended by Anakin. But he's wearing Rako's clothes, and we saw Obi-Wan put on those clothes. Anakin apprehends Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan is sent to the prison, while Rako Hardeen is in the custody of the Jedi.

If Obi-Wan wasn't masking his presence (though he probably was), then it's possible that Anakin was so enraged that he didn't notice Obi-Wan, assuming him to be Rako.

I believe that they still need it to appear to everyone that Obi-Wan is dead. Anakin's response has to be pure and convincing to sell it to everyone and make the plan succeed.

Tycho
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
That's right. I forgot they switched clothes.

Still, that Obi-Wan could hide himself in the Force from Anakin, and be right there in front of him...

I also think he's lucky Anakin had Ahsoka with him and didn't want to set a bad example, else he would have skewered Hardine like a Tusken.

JediTricks
01-26-2012, 11:07 PM
1) If Obi-Wan could mask his presence, wouldn't he have done so on the Death Star?

2) If this episode has Hardeen escape the Jedi, I'm going to be very disappointed in the writers. I *hate* when fiction pulls the "impersonate the villain" stunt only to have the real villain come across them.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I was confused often throughout this one, and as the audience, we know who Obi-Wan really is. I think they're setting up some "big lie" theme with the Jedi, and Palpy as the "you can trust me" person in Annie's life. I also think Ahsoka is seeing the "real" Anakin more and more; the emotional, vengeful one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I enjoyed the on-the-run aspect of this one. Having Anakin come so close was interesting - even if he can't realize that Obi-Wan is in disguise, at least he realizes that something's up, and he did feel a presence. It's probably just hard for him to reconcile what the Jedi are telling him with the truth - which obviously is similar to ROTS.

This episode had ships based on the Lady Luck and the Hound's Tooth, though I wouldn't have known that unless the episode guide pointed it out (I don't know much about EU ships, but I have heard of those).

Next week's looks like fun, with the bounty hunter brawl. There's an alien clearly based on the Revwein design, but tweaked to have a face.

On a sadder note, Ian Abercrombie, who played Palpatine on this show, died a few days ago. He'll have already-recorded performances left, of course, so it'll still be the same voice for a while longer, but it's really too bad.

JediTricks
01-30-2012, 04:45 PM
I recognized the Hound's Tooth and Lady Luck right away, although the Lady Luck seemed a bit too small at first blush (it's 50m where the Falcon is only 34m long). The Hound's Tooth looked pretty good on the show, it's never been a design I could get behind in other visual media but here they were able to make it make sense.

Has anybody mentioned that Rako Hardeen's look is clearly based on concept art for Boba Fett's armor? It bugged me that he was able to pick up another copy of that unique helmet so quickly. :p Like he just dropped in on the local Darth Vader store or something, "oh yeah, we got tons of those helmets in the back, which color you want?" and yet nobody else in the whole galaxy we've seen so far wears them.

The episode itself was ok I guess for an action cartoon, but once again the plot requires that everybody be stupid for the next action to take place at almost every turn.

Lord Malakite
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Just learned that Ian Abercrombie (the voice actor for Palpatine/Darth Sidious on The Clone Wars) passed away.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Don't we all just love "Secret Wars"-type storylines? Where heroes/villians are taken somewhere, have to either work together or every-being-for-itself to escape/survive? The Box was sorta cool, but a 22-minute actionfest was a nice change from "talky" episodes in the past.

Uh, and just how long does a face/voice change last?

Tycho
02-05-2012, 02:51 PM
and just how long does a face/voice change last?

All election season.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2012, 06:10 PM
This one was pretty good, but felt a little unnecessary. I liked a few things - the blue snaggletooth, the still-too-brief appearance from Embo - but the episode guide says that it was an episode planned around the same time as the first episodes from Season Three, so maybe that's why it feels a little out of place (I'm assuming the whole arc was planned around then).

Oh, and now we know that dioxis comes in both white and green varieties. :p

JediTricks
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
If you cut the entire episode out of the arc, it doesn't seem like the story will be changed significantly, though I can't speak to next week's for sure. But let's face it, all that really happened in terms of the larger story arc is Cad Bane is now in command, and there are a few more guys, which is roughly a single sentence-worth of change.

Still, it was an interesting episode, I suppose, just on the "here's some things happening" thinking. The expanding rooms seemed a lot bigger than the outside should allow though, and why would anybody invest so much resources into Eval's tests, what makes him worth trusting to this task?

Tycho
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
That reminds me of an interesting story arc I thought of:

What if Jawas stole his hat?

This would also work for Justified - if they added Jawas to that show.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
I liked that the kidnapping plot had more to it than it seemed, with Dooku having used The Box to apparently actually root out the Jedi. Some fun moments were seeing Sio Bibble, the addition of Flash speeders, and the scrolling yellow text during the Naboo history light show. I liked that there were several nods to ROTS and Anakin's relationships with Palpatine and the Jedi, but overall I don't think this story arc will stand out in my mind too much.

JediTricks
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
That last episode was so overly compressed that I felt like it was unrewarding, especially Dooku's entirely measly showing against Obi-Wan and Anakin. And the actual trick was the exact same stupidity that the Trade Federation pulled in Ep 1: once the plot is foiled, we're safe so let's send all these other forces away. That's dumb.

Darth Metalmute
02-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I had the feeling that this was set up by Palpatine to get Anakin to kill Dooku and send him down the same dark path killing Dooku in ROTS did.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I looked at the time of the episode when Palpy was rescued, as was surprised. I still don't understand how Obi-Wan's facial/voice facade lasted so long. I wanted to see what'd happen if Palpy and Dooku met.

DarkJedi5
02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
In anticipation of the return of Darth Maul, MTV.com (http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/02/17/star-wars-clone-wars-reveal-darth-maul/) has a video that previews some clips from the show and recording sessions with the voice talent. While it's nice to see Sam Witwer back on the show, I don't know if he's the right call for Maul. I would also like to go on the record that having heard what Sam has to say about the character and having heard the dialogue from the recording sessions, I am even more apprehensive about this plot line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I like that video. Maul's new crazy persona is pretty clearly a result of him being in exile for so long after his defeat. I think Witwer sounds good as the soft-spoken Maul we heard in TPM, though the louder voice is a little jarring at first . . . but it's not like we have much of Maul's voice to go on anyway.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-02-23/Darth-Maul-debuts-in-Star-Wars-Clone-Wars/53221760/1) has a story on the return of Maul, along with a fantastic new trailer. This season has been unfortunately more miss than hit, but I have high hopes for this arc.

Snowtrooper
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Its was definitely a good trailer. I haven't been watching much lately, but I'll make sure that I watch the next four episodes.

El Chuxter
02-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I'll admit I watched the trailer. I'll admit I was seriously considering giving the show another shot. I was hoping this was all some elaborate illusion, which it does not appear to be.

I really can't see how anyone with any respect for storytelling can defend that mess.

But I'd love to hear someone try to explain the whole ridiculouslessness of Maul having a broken saber, because it was damaged in TPM and he can't buy a new one, but it's so much easier to get the ****ing entire lower half of your body replaced (including some major organs that had to have suffered severe damage). Guy was sliced in half in such a way that removed or seriously damaged his kidneys, bladder, stomach, and intestines. He fell in a frickin' melting pit, which I'd assume, melts the stuff that falls into it, bouncing several times on the way down. If he were alive when he hit, even established SW science says he'd need immediate medical attention to have a shot at surviving. But no one knew he was down there except Obi-Wan for several minutes, at least, and more like several hours. He had no identification and no money, if he were able to drag himself out. Plus, c'mon, even frickin' Darth Sidious assumed he was dead. If Sidious had any notion he were alive, he'd kill him himself.

At least they tried to explain how Jean Grey and Superman came back from the dead.

I'm done giving this show any more chances. If they want to write like they're a bunch of morons, I'm not letting that "Star Wars" in the title nag at the back of my head. It's tripe, and I'm done.

El Chuxter
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Note: I will take this all back if it's revealed that Qui-Gon Jinn survived and is emerging from retirement in the following episode to get his revenge against Maul.

Re-watch the battle in TPM. If I were going to put money on someone who is dead to have really survived, it would be on the Jedi Master who got stabbed through (most likely) the lung. Not the Sith apprentice who got sliced in two, bounced all the way down an incredibly deep hole, and wasn't known to be down there (by anyone who could help him) for a while.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Note: I will take this all back if it's revealed that Qui-Gon Jinn survived and is emerging from retirement in the following episode to get his revenge against Maul.

Re-watch the battle in TPM. If I were going to put money on someone who is dead to have really survived, it would be on the Jedi Master who got stabbed through (most likely) the lung. Not the Sith apprentice who got sliced in two, bounced all the way down an incredibly deep hole, and wasn't known to be down there (by anyone who could help him) for a while.
Jedi do not take revenge. That much is obvious. (It's almost like that was even a rejected title of a movie.) But even if Qui-Gon survived the duel, he was cremated. Of course, he does survive in the Force. But you can't call for respectable storytelling and then want a Jedi Master to be so motivated by selfish revenge that he strives for nothing else.

You also can't really say that the creators gave no mention of how he was able to survive . . . the episodes haven't even aired yet. As for the saber, it looks like Maul is stuck on a junkyard-type planet, where it would likely be easier to find a droid or some kind of parts to create robotic parts (spoiler alert: he uses a six-legged mechanism to walk around at first) than it would be to create a lightsaber. Where in the film does it say it's a melting pit? We can't see the bottom of the pit, but Luke was able to fall down an extremely great height and not suffer any consequences (he hadn't been cut in half, of course, but still).

Yes, it's a stretch, but I want to hear the explanation before writing it off or accepting it completely.

You've also been "completely done with this show," what, 17 times now? :p

El Chuxter
02-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Butt this tiem its 4 reelz!!!!!!!

(Edit: Oh, guess I can't go all caps.)

Battle Droid
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Episode 20 : Bounty Preview

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZqR8GuYuII&feature=youtu.be

Darth Metalmute
02-24-2012, 06:53 PM
One of the more interesting thing about Maul was that he was silent. He said more in that 2 minute clip than in the entire Movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Odd that this one was all villains. Are we to feel sorry for Ventress now? Dooku sure seemed less in control of himself, as he grabbed at his return-to-puberty-acne face. It was nice to see Grievous not being shown as a bafoon for change.

Tycho
02-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Oh this stuff looks awesome!

I really enjoyed last night's show with the Nightsisters and General Grievous!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
I though Massacre was quite great. The all-villains, all-the-time aspect was cool to see, as was finally more Grievous and Ventress (fighting each other, no less!). I do wonder where in the timeline this takes place, as I don't know how long Ventress waited to return to Dathomir after last year's episodes. Mother Talzin's powers and the undead Nightsister army were pretty awesome - and even though this clan was wiped out, I'm glad Grievous finally got a victory.

I'm quite excited for more Boba and Bossk next week - the Dengar nod is fun, even if it might not jive with his backstory (but perhaps he just wore the wraps before the injury anyway).

JediTricks
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Odd that this one was all villains. Are we to feel sorry for Ventress now? Dooku sure seemed less in control of himself, as he grabbed at his return-to-puberty-acne face. It was nice to see Grievous not being shown as a bafoon for change.Yeah, this episode made no sense to me from a storytelling perspective. The villains fought the villains. Dooku dropped the hammer on the Nightsisters only after Ventress came back, even though he clearly was thinking about doing so for a while and had no reason to wait (especially when he didn't even take down Ventress). And the Nightsisters' battle tactic made no sense, they had homefield advantage but instead of pulling an Ewok strategy they just bum-rush the robots and Grievous' 85 lightsabers.

The thing that bugged me the most though, besides the whole feeling that we wasted 22 minutes of story here, was that Ventress has been gone a year and a half, and she shows up out of the blue in a friggin' STARHOPPER! The annoying ship that has shown up in like 4 of the last 7 episodes and NEVER before. Just lazy using the generic new toy.

I'll admit I watched the trailer. I'll admit I was seriously considering giving the show another shot. I was hoping this was all some elaborate illusion, which it does not appear to be.

I really can't see how anyone with any respect for storytelling can defend that mess.

But I'd love to hear someone try to explain the whole ridiculouslessness of Maul having a broken saber, because it was damaged in TPM and he can't buy a new one, but it's so much easier to get the ****ing entire lower half of your body replaced (including some major organs that had to have suffered severe damage). Guy was sliced in half in such a way that removed or seriously damaged his kidneys, bladder, stomach, and intestines. He fell in a frickin' melting pit, which I'd assume, melts the stuff that falls into it, bouncing several times on the way down. If he were alive when he hit, even established SW science says he'd need immediate medical attention to have a shot at surviving. But no one knew he was down there except Obi-Wan for several minutes, at least, and more like several hours. He had no identification and no money, if he were able to drag himself out. Plus, c'mon, even frickin' Darth Sidious assumed he was dead. If Sidious had any notion he were alive, he'd kill him himself.

At least they tried to explain how Jean Grey and Superman came back from the dead.

I'm done giving this show any more chances. If they want to write like they're a bunch of morons, I'm not letting that "Star Wars" in the title nag at the back of my head. It's tripe, and I'm done.Ouch. But yeah, I do have the same problem with the idea of Maul's return, it's too much. I'll watch because it's "only a cartoon" but I'm not expecting to feel good about this.

Re-watch the battle in TPM. If I were going to put money on someone who is dead to have really survived, it would be on the Jedi Master who got stabbed through (most likely) the lung. Not the Sith apprentice who got sliced in two, bounced all the way down an incredibly deep hole, and wasn't known to be down there (by anyone who could help him) for a while.While Qui-Gon's gut-shot saber wound did seem entirely survivable, the whole "burn his body" part after was less so.

Jedi do not take revenge. That much is obvious. (It's almost like that was even a rejected title of a movie.) But even if Qui-Gon survived the duel, he was cremated. Of course, he does survive in the Force. But you can't call for respectable storytelling and then want a Jedi Master to be so motivated by selfish revenge that he strives for nothing else.Qui-Gon was never a straight-and-narrow Jedi, he played loose with the goody-goody stuff, he was roguish as a contrast to Obi-Wan's by-the-book personality in Ep 1.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Qui-Gon was never a straight-and-narrow Jedi, he played loose with the goody-goody stuff, he was roguish as a contrast to Obi-Wan's by-the-book personality in Ep 1.
True, but he never seemed like he would be so roguish as to be motivated by revenge. His off-the-book nature led him to bring Jar Jar and Anakin under his wing, which he thought would help everyone involved, and to find a method to maintain his life after his death (through selflessness and compassion, according to the deleted scene). Even after his first attack from Maul, he still wasn't completely gung-ho about finding and killing the Sith so much as protecting the Queen, again indicating his selflessness. I could maybe see him wanting to take out Maul for the good of the galaxy, but that's not how I define "revenge."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Bounty was pretty awesome! Boba and Bossk were portrayed as badasses quite well, more so than their Season Two appearances. The train robbery sequence reminded me here and there of Temple of Doom, in a very good way. There were quite a lot of "holy crap, cool!" moments in the train, such as Highsinger spinning around and shooting the marauders. I also liked the design of the Belugans (the appropriately named whale people) and the fact that Ventress does seem to have some sort of conscience after all. I'm interested in seeing how they'll use her from here on out.

I do find it odd that they took away Aurra Sing's Force powers from the EU so as not to confuse her with Ventress, that other pasty, bald, Force-using lady, but then they do an episode where Ventress works with Boba and Bossk, which was formerly the domain of Aurra. This was just a one-off, it seems, but still noteworthy in that regard. (Where is Aurra, by the way? Chronologically, her most recent appearance was Hostage Crisis, even though that was her first episode.)

Bel-Cam Jos
03-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I wonder if Ventress' comment at the end means she'll not be in the series much anymore, if at all. Maybe Aurra will return, if they continue the bounty hunters remain as regulars. And Mr. JJL, did you mean the train reminded you of Last Crusade, instead of TOD?

Tycho
03-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Maybe Ventress will become a rogue Dark Jedi like Kyp Durron?

Deciding herself what is justice.

JediTricks
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't even understand the point of this episode. Nothing happened, it was just a random happenstance which led to Ventress briefly becoming a mercenary with a tarnished heart of gold. Nothing made much sense: why are adults following a kid,
how did Bossk & Boba get out of prison,
why would one hire bounty hunters to act as mercenaries instead of just hiring mercenaries,
why hire exactly 6 instead of 60,
why would Ventress and Dengar be tasked with watching the back of the train and then they just wistfully stare away from the back of the train,
why would the king of whatever take possession of the box and not look inside before payment,
why does a security train have a huge open car in the middle for all the space ninjas to jump in through even though it's clearly a custom train,
isn't it a little too convenient that every single person gets tossed from the train to land safely below,
why would the king of whatever not try to intercept the train once the betrayal was discovered,
why does the king of who-cares so desperately want the sister of space-ninjas as his bride,
does this one act really redeem Asajj in her own eyes,
why isn't there a standing bounty on her from Dooku,
and finally, does every bounty mission now have to be a parody of the ESB bounty hunter gathering? I mean, really, an identical number of guys, half of which are the same exact dudes, and there's a giant skinny robot?!?

Anyway, it wasn't anything to me, it wasn't bad aside from being full of holes, but it didn't really add anything or fit anywhere in the larger scheme and it didn't make good use of the characters. Dengar was a total flop, just a generic guy, the voice didn't fit for me at all.

nohagent
03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Great episode, action and introduction of some interesting characters aside, we get a glimpse of things going on inside of Ventress' head that show us her motivations, details of why she is who she is, and that she still has the opportunity to make choices based upon her own psyche and not alone on the fact of doing evil.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2012, 10:00 PM
And Mr. JJL, did you mean the train reminded you of Last Crusade, instead of TOD?
No, I was speaking of the TOD mine cart sequence, as both sequences took place underground.

how did Bossk & Boba get out of prison,
This was shown just a few weeks ago - Cad Bane pays Boba to bother Rako Hardeen (actually Obi-Wan), which leads Bossk to get in on the action, and then cause the prison riot from which Bane, Hardeen, and Moralo Eval escape; presumably, Boba and Bossk left in the same confusion.

JediTricks
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
This was shown just a few weeks ago - Cad Bane pays Boba to bother Rako Hardeen (actually Obi-Wan), which leads Bossk to get in on the action, and then cause the prison riot from which Bane, Hardeen, and Moralo Eval escape; presumably, Boba and Bossk left in the same confusion.You and I have very different versions of what the word "shown" means. If you have to make a presumption, it's not shown.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-06-2012, 01:02 AM
You and I have very different versions of what the word "shown" means. If you have to make a presumption, it's not shown.
Well, in the sense that we didn't literally see Boba and Bossk get a ship and say "Hey look we're breaking out of prison!" then yes, it wasn't shown. But what was shown was that Boba and Bossk were in the prison from which many prisoners escaped, then we see them walking free a few episodes later, so it's not exactly hard to make the leap. :p

JediTricks
03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, in the sense that we didn't literally see Boba and Bossk get a ship and say "Hey look we're breaking out of prison!" then yes, it wasn't shown. But what was shown was that Boba and Bossk were in the prison from which many prisoners escaped, then we see them walking free a few episodes later, so it's not exactly hard to make the leap. :pWe see 3 characters escape from that prison, that is not "many", the only 3 that successfully escaped that we saw are the ones who planned it in the first place. The suckers who started the riot are at the center of the fight and thus furthest from their chances of escape.

Tycho
03-09-2012, 11:35 PM
The episode was creepy. If I were predicting things I'd wonder if ventress will show up to save Obi-Wan

Bel-Cam Jos
03-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I will use business letter format, and begin with a positive comment: the visuals looked pretty good, especially the "firebreather" robots on the junk planet.

Now. This may have been the worst episode in the entire series: plot was cliche', weak, repetitive; dialogue was cliche', weak, repetitive; the use of Maul as a Maguffin [sp?] was cliche', weak, repetitive AND demeaning to the character by the end; the appearance of Anakin and Ahsoka was too coincidental and then used as a passing "I have a bad feeling about this familiar-whatever-it-is thing"type comment. I will admit that next week's season finale looks chock full of action and characters; we shall see.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-10-2012, 05:36 PM
The atmosphere of this episode was extremely eerie. I love Maul's spider legs, and how insane he has gone in the last ten or so years. I also liked the red logo at the beginning, to show that this was no normal episode. Some of the non-Maul/Savage stuff was indeed strange, particularly the Anakin/Ahsoka stuff, but it showed how people across the galaxy were reacting to the new development.

If you can come to terms with the fact that Maul is still alive, and he's not the same stoic badass he was in TPM, then this episode was pretty damn good.

Now. This may have been the worst episode in the entire series: plot was cliche', weak, repetitive; dialogue was cliche', weak, repetitive; the use of Maul as a Maguffin [sp?] was cliche', weak, repetitive AND demeaning to the character by the end; the appearance of Anakin and Ahsoka was too coincidental and then used as a passing "I have a bad feeling about this familiar-whatever-it-is thing"type comment. I will admit that next week's season finale looks chock full of action and characters; we shall see.
Worst ever? Not by a longshot. How soon you forget Corruption, Senate Murders, and Nomad Droids. I don't think it was demeaning to Maul - he's broken in both body and spirit. I don't think I'd feel too hot either after getting cut in half, left for dead, dropped off on a garbage planet, and forgotten about by everyone. I will say that Katie Lucas isn't the best dialogue writer around, though, but it wasn't abrasively bad.

jedibear
03-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm not gonna say it was the worst of the series, but....it definitely stopped the season in it's tracks...from the Krell quad on, this season has been outstanding...until last night. I'm gonna hold my tongue until we see part two of this one, but part one wasn't too good.

Had some stunning visuals (as this season continues to feature) but...the build-up and finally the big reveal of Maul was pretty lackluster. I'm just hoping next week picks it back up, otherwise, this season ended with Ventress walking off into th proverbial sunset for me....we'll see.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2012, 11:11 AM
If you can come to terms with the fact that Maul is still alive, and he's not the same stoic badass he was in TPM, then this episode was pretty damn good.

Worst ever? Not by a longshot. How soon you forget Corruption, Senate Murders, and Nomad Droids. I don't think it was demeaning to Maul - he's broken in both body and spirit. I don't think I'd feel too hot either after getting cut in half, left for dead, dropped off on a garbage planet, and forgotten about by everyone. I will say that Katie Lucas isn't the best dialogue writer around, though, but it wasn't abrasively bad.But is that what all the fan's were clamoring for? Maul as a loony cyborg? I'm not saying he has to be a carbon copy of his TPM persona, but if I did want him back from the "dead," it sure wouldn't be like that. I just felt this build-up to finding Maul was too dramatic, to the level of cheesy. Those other episodes you mentioned had their bad points, but overall, I'm (sadly) sticking with my negative assessment. Like jedibear said, I'll wait until next week's to see if it improves as a 2-part arc.

El Chuxter
03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Are they setting this up (so far) to make the stupid-arse Visionaries tale canon now?

Darth Metalmute
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
First, what I liked about the episode:

It was only a half an hour?

Now what I hated:
The snake was the stupidest thing Clone Wars has brought to the Star Wars Universe.
It only lasted as the stupidest thing for 10 minutes, then Maul took the title.

So Obi-Wan slices Maul in half and Maul doesn't blackout as he falls down the shaft and is able to force braces his fall. Then he is dumped on a junk planet and manufactures himself a spider body while going mad. Next week, he will quickly straighten his mind out enough to fight Obi-Wan.

It would have made more sense to have the janitor from Robot Chicken find him a get him to a nurse.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
But is that what all the fan's were clamoring for? Maul as a loony cyborg? I'm not saying he has to be a carbon copy of his TPM persona, but if I did want him back from the "dead," it sure wouldn't be like that. I just felt this build-up to finding Maul was too dramatic, to the level of cheesy. Those other episodes you mentioned had their bad points, but overall, I'm (sadly) sticking with my negative assessment. Like jedibear said, I'll wait until next week's to see if it improves as a 2-part arc.
If you really disliked this part, then waiting for next week's is the best you can do, I suppose. I don't think most people expected him to be so nutty when/if he did return, but where's the fun in everything happening exactly like people think it should? I know many people don't agree - hence much (but not all) of the dislike of the prequels. But what's wrong with being taken aback, or going, "Wow, I didn't expect them to do that at all"? At any rate, he seems a little more like his old self next week, according to the preview (http://www.starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep422/).

Are they setting this up (so far) to make the stupid-arse Visionaries tale canon now?
It doesn't seem that way. His design next week, with the neck brace thing and the two robotic legs, looks to be inspired by the comic (though his horns are shorter, and he doesn't have a new double-bladed lightsaber). But here, it seems he's been on the junk planet the entire time since TPM, while the comic had him searching for Obi-Wan pretty much nonstop, hitting places he visited in the prequels looking for clues (killing Watto and several Polis Massans along the way, as I recall). I really can't see them letting Maul live past ROTS, which is when the comic takes place (with a toddler Luke), though who knows. I'm thinking they'll at least resolve the storylines of Maul, Savage, Asajj, and unrelated characters like Ahsoka, Rex, and Cad Bane, though it's anyone's guess what those resolutions will be.

JimJamBonds
03-11-2012, 11:21 PM
This was the first CW episode I've watched in a couple of months...not very good imho.

JediTricks
03-13-2012, 07:16 PM
So, I'd say this episode wasn't good. Why? Because it wasn't anything, there was no story, it didn't stand alone on its own at all. It was a nice-looking cut-scene from a video game, but it really wasn't anything. It was barely a story fragment. And speaking of games, this felt like a retread to Raxus Prime from TFU, we even had another crazed former-Force-wielder strapped into a mechanical spider-suit. And the Jack Sparrow compass that Talzin gave Opress breaking down over and over, that was bad story-writing, that was just cheapness to add artificial tension to the situation, it ended up paying off not at all.

So the story is "guy looks for brother, finds him." That's it for this episode, there was barely anything else going on. Savage pointlessly beats up someone at a truck stop, no reason given why, then magically Anakin and Ahsoka show up only to remind viewers that there are still Jedi on this show. Savage lands on the planet and looks for his bro, finds a talking snake (really Star Wars, a TALKING SNAKE?!? Could that have been any lazier?), fights some robots who think they're Jawas or something, then gets tricked into falling into Maul's den where... Maul acts like an undernourished nutjob? Why even bother with all the other stuff, why not just have the snake guy immediately get him over another trap door when he's following anyway? And what exactly is Maul's goal, to eat his prey? To strip them of parts for his ridiculous spider body? And they stole from us the reasoning behind Maul surviving and getting onto this planet and going nuts and hiding in a hole in the ground and etc.. And Witwer finally turned in a less-than performance, up until now I had thought all his SW work had been really good, but this was just him going nutty.

It also didn't need anything from the previous 2 episodes, how exactly are these 4 episodes supposed to be one story? We can only hope part 4 pulls that together.

Even Steve posted about his issues with the ep in the news comments. I think this will be one of the series' low points.

And this week we get wrestling moves with Obi-Wan and the Maul brothers? I hope they make it better than that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I do believe I had a nerdgasm during this episode. :eek:

I love that Maul finally shows his personality more than he ever did before, and it's appropriately frightening. From the slaughter on Iridonia to the promise of taking on the Jedi - and relishing in it - now I'm pumped for next season, even if it is six months away.

It more than paid off last week's drawn-out search, in my opinion, and brought in points from this somewhat-loose-seeming arc's first two episodes. People might take issue with how quickly he was healed, but I liked the way it mirrored Savage's transformation from last year. I liked his craziness last week and at the beginning of this episode, but it's nice to have him relatively sane again, and I assume many of the people who disliked his characterization last week will agree. If future episodes can keep using him as strongly as this one did, then I think bringing him back will have proven to be a great move.

I was expecting to see Ventress go after Savage, and for her and Obi-Wan to work together, but I really like the partnership they formed in this episode. Obi-Wan got to get in some good one-liners without going over the top, so it was nice to get some brevity in what was otherwise perhaps the darkest episode of the series.

El Chuxter
03-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Was "levity" the word you were looking for? Because I don't think this episode was shorter than any other. ;)

Darth Metalmute
03-17-2012, 12:43 AM
I sure hope they venture (Maybe flashback) into Mauls survival story. Because if we are supposed to swallow "pure hatred" as the reason he survived...

Also, I know that Star Wars is fantasy and Sc-fi, but the whole witch craft thing bugs me. Not necessarily the spells themselves but the apparitions that Mother Gothel does just seems unbelievable. In fact, I was pretty sure Grevious killed her and that was why Savage's mystical Mace rock necklace was malfunctioning. Also, I love how she led Maul out of the Starship Troopers-esque spaceship with the laser pointer trick I use on cats.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Was "levity" the word you were looking for? Because I don't think this episode was shorter than any other. ;)
Oh yeah, oops. The dark side was clouding my mind. :D

It was also Raydonia, not Iridonia. I'm 0 for 2.

Tycho
03-17-2012, 04:25 AM
It was entertaining. I hope Obi-Wan doesn't hook up with Ventress. Satine is more his type

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2012, 09:35 AM
My thought at the end of this season-ender was: that was it? I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. So, there will be a sibling rival gang to the Sidious/Tyrannus duo, eh? Randy Savage Oppress and Hulk "Brother" Maulgan vs. Rowdy Obi-Kenobi and Miss Elizatress in Rasslemania Episode XXIII in the transparisteel cage match. I'm not sure if this one-on-one idea will work, instead of the galactic scope of the Clone Wars. Remember that they are still going on at this time? Title of the series? Hello? :confused:

I agree with DarthMetalmute about the "magic" aspect. It just doesn't fit, like how Durge didn't mesh with SW lore. Both were cool to watch I suppose, but they seem too out of place. The council allowing all these "revenge" type assignments on specific planets doesn't jibe well, either.

Sorry, but for me, this one was among the weakest ends to their seasons yet. :(

jedibear
03-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I hated the whole "magic" thing....it just smacked of "shortcut" story-telling. So MT waves her arms around and BAM! Maul gets some "Grievous-looking" legs. Really?

The whole "go on your own" thing with Obi-Wan didn't play well either. Aw forget it...this "Maul Returns" thing was just a bad idea, executed in a rush....it's almost like this show has a regular thing to end the season with now...some saga-style "stunt casting" with a little intergalatic shark-jumping thrown in. Had Boba for season two and last year's "Chewie" arc at least had a decent story and worked. This whole "Maul" thing did not.

I really thought this show was on a high for a good chunk of the season- great visuals, good story arcs, fine character development....but man, it crashed and burned with this finale.

Not in a hurry for season five now..,

JediTricks
03-19-2012, 02:38 PM
This was a nothing episode, literally nothing of consequence happened, and nobody won, and not much made sense. It did tie together with the previous episodes in the arc only by sheer force of writers' will: Ventress becomes a bounty hunter so she can immediately track down Savage and help Obi-Wan -- how does any of that make sense? And Obi-Wan turning down Jedi Council assistance on Maul, that's a vital character if they can catch him, he has intel about the very beginnings of the war, who is behind it and so forth, but instead Obi-Wan seems to be thinking in the same way as the wrestler mindset of the 2 faux Sith (that wrestling-level writing is the only excuse for the tag team match at the end as well).

And that magic fixing his brain and legs, that was really lazy and stupid, Metalmute and JB called it there, felt out of sorts and a cheap shortcut. This was a cheap gimmick and undoes so much of what worked for this series.

Darth Metalmute
03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Are bad guys stupid by association, or just stupidly written. Why do they always have to make a huge deal out of revenge? They had Kenobi outnumbered and beaten, but yet chose to put him in a ship and take him somewhere instead of just killing him. Good writing would have at least had Ventress get there in time to stop the beating instead of on the ship.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
IGN (http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1221285p1.html) has a pretty good interview with Dave Filoni, covering all of Season Four and some of what's to come next year. It's a fun read.

Something about this season that struck me is how few arcs there were overall. Here is a list of the arcs so far, with how many episodes were in each, and whether or not they connected to previous stories. If something merely followed up on a storyline or characters from previous episodes but don't seem to be meant to follow right after each other chronologically, then I count that as separate (meaning the different Nightsisters stories I count as two separate arcs, not one). There's room for debate, but this is just a general list.

Season One
1. Ambush (1)
2. Malevolence (3)
3. Rookies (1)
4. R3-S6 (2)
5. Hunt for Nute Gunray (3)
6. Dooku Captured (2)
7. Lurmen Village (2)
8. Trespass (1)
9. The Hidden Enemy (1) - combines with movie
10. Blue Shadow Virus (2)
11. Battle of Ryloth (3)
12. Hostage Crisis (1)
Total - 11 new arcs (only 10 arcs if Ambush and Ryloth trilogy are combined), 1 arc expansion

Season Two
1. Holocron Heist (3)
2. Second Battle of Geonosis (5)
3. Hunt for Grievous (2)
4. Lightsaber Lost (1)
5. Rise of Death Watch (3)
6. Senate Murders (1)
7. Cat and Mouse (1) - combines with The Hidden Enemy and movie
8. Bounty Hunters (1)
9. Zillo Beast (2)
10. Rise of Boba Fett (3)
Total - 9 new arcs, 1 arc expansion

Season Three
1. Clones on Kamino (2) - combines with Rookies
2. Supply Lines (1) - combines with Ambush and Battle of Ryloth
3. Sphere of Influence (1)
4. Corruption on Mandalore (2)
5. Hunt for Ziro (3) - combines with Hostage Crisis
6. Clone Bill (2) - combines with Senate Murders
7. Nightsisters (3)
8. Mortis (3)
9. Citadel (3)
10. Trandoshan Hunters (2)
Total - 6 new arcs, 4 arc expansions

Season Four
1. Battle of Mon Cala (3)
2. Shadow Warrior (1)
3. Nomad Droids (2)
4. Battle of Umbara (4)
5. Slavers (3)
6. A Friend In Need (1)
7. Rako Hardeen (4)
8. Rise of Darth Maul (4)
Total - 8 new arcs

So this season had fewer overall arcs than any previous season, but none of them were retcons or expansions of previous episodes, though a few episodes followed up stories started previously (A Friend in Need, with Lux and Ahsoka's relationship, and the Darth Maul/Ventress episodes).

Tycho
04-10-2012, 01:51 AM
JabbaJohn. I like lists. You did a good job.