PDA

View Full Version : Thunder, Thunder, Thundercats hoooooooo!!!

El Chuxter
07-30-2011, 06:23 PM
This premiered on Cartoon Network last night. I taped* it and just watched it now.

Bloody awesome. If you don't watch it, you're a bunion on Slythe's big claw. If you watch it and don't dig it, you're a pimple on Mumm-Ra's left buttcheek. And that's just nasty.

Seriously, however, this looks so far to be a masterful re-imagining of the original, with several homages but only the loosest connection. Snarf has gotten a total "Cringer treatment" and is a non-verbal pet, but still every bit as cool as he was in the 80s, and the Thunderkittens have even been made over so they're not irritating. Check it out. It's worth it.

I just hope it doesn't get canceled as quickly as the other three awesome reboots from the last decade (X-Men Evolution, Masters of the Universe, and GIJoe: Renegades).

*--Yeah, JT, I said "taped." It's technically on the DVR, but I still maintain "DVR" does not work as a verb.

AFCollector
07-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Agreed. I liked that the King was voiced by Larry Kenney (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0448489/), and there wasn't any "snarf snaaarrf" from Snarf, but he was still cool.

Was worth watching and I look forward to seeing the new episode next Friday.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2011, 09:20 AM
This premiered on Cartoon Network last night. I taped* it and just watched it now.

*--Yeah, JT, I said "taped." It's technically on the DVR, but I still maintain "DVR" does not work as a verb.I saw the commercials, but forgot to remember the date and time. If only there were some device to do that for me, but I Doubt Video Recalls such things. As for verb usage, Chux, check my "Location" comment under my pic. And thanks for not using "Tivo" as a verb, especially if that's not the program your TV actually has.

Sincerely,
- Coke for all sodas,

cc: Kleenex for all tissues, Xerox for all copies, JetSki for all watercraft, Bandaid for all bandages, et al.

sith_killer_99
07-31-2011, 10:01 AM
cc: Kleenex for all tissues, Xerox for all copies, JetSki for all watercraft, Bandaid for all bandages, et al.

Don't forget Bovie for all electrosurgical units.

I managed to watch this last night, it was pretty good.

Darth Metalmute
07-31-2011, 10:21 AM
I never cared for the original Thundercats. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the season premiere. I really wished they would have done a two hour premier because I was not ready for it to be over.

I loved the fact that the voice of Lion-O was Terry McGinnis. In fact, it was all around a great voicing cast.

JediTricks
08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I also RECORDED it (really, "taped" is acceptable for "recorded"? The current generation barely even knows what a video cassette recorder machine IS, so it's going to be entirely useless in another generation, like saying "I phonographed that song at my party!" or "let me buggy-whip on down to the store to pick up dinner", worse really since tape IS a thing, just not THAT thing) and watched it this morning. Some of it worked, having the original Lion-o as the king's voice was an interesting, but frustrating choice when compared to Batboy Beyond. It was interesting and had lots of ideas that were fresh to cartoons, but I don't think it's going to survive very long without making a better statement to kids about the who, what, where, how, and why; it's a very complicated story, and doesn't really give any particular payoff when our hero takes on the sword of omens and uses it - it's just another big weapon at the end of a movie, so what? Hopefully they can make a weekly story that neither talks down to kids nor talks over their heads, right now I see it trying to do neither but unintentionally doing both. Also, the idea that Wilykit and Wilykat aren't annoying is ludicrous, they were still annoying, just not used in the story as much - they were "antics" characters, which are destined to remain loathsome if intervention is not taken (see Miko on TF:Prime).

El Chuxter
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I also RECORDED it (really, "taped" is acceptable for "recorded"? The current generation barely even knows what a video cassette recorder machine IS, so it's going to be entirely useless in another generation, like saying "I phonographed that song at my party!" or "let me buggy-whip on down to the store to pick up dinner", worse really since tape IS a thing, just not THAT thing) and watched it this morning.
If you're going to insist on making an issue of "taped," then I'd better never hear you refer to a "dashboard" in your car, as I will remind you that these newfangled horseless carriages don't defecate and there's no danger of getting your trousers (or your passenger's petticoats) dashed by doon. :p

Also, the idea that Wilykit and Wilykat aren't annoying is ludicrous, they were still annoying, just not used in the story as much - they were "antics" characters, which are destined to remain loathsome if intervention is not taken (see Miko on TF:Prime).
If you can watch this clip (http://blip.tv/cbr/thundercats-ramlak-rising-clip-1-5440405) and still find them to be loathsome, it will confirm that you are, indeed, a DoomBot with a heart of kryptonite. :afro:

JediTricks
08-05-2011, 05:21 PM
If you're going to insist on making an issue of "taped," then I'd better never hear you refer to a "dashboard" in your car, as I will remind you that these newfangled horseless carriages don't defecate and there's no danger of getting your trousers (or your passenger's petticoats) dashed by doon. :pThe dashboard was meant to cover the driver from mud spray, often kicked up by horse hooves and thin wheels. The modern dashboard CAN still serve that function. Now, unless you're going to hot-glue a Scotch Tape dispenser to your DVR, I don't see there being the same situation, gramps.

If you can watch this clip (http://blip.tv/cbr/thundercats-ramlak-rising-clip-1-5440405) and still find them to be loathsome, it will confirm that you are, indeed, a DoomBot with a heart of kryptonite. :afro:If you don't find that be in ANY way annoying, you have watched so much Elmo that you've now become him. Anyway, we'll see if there's any hope for the Wily Twins later, but it'll take more than a minute's clip taken out of context to prove that they're not a permanent annoyance.

El Chuxter
08-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Please do not insult me with Elmo comments. I would still drive a stake through his cold, black heart. No one could ever be desensitized to his babbling evil.

Speaking of cold, black hearts, here's a new avatar for you, DB! :p

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I watched the epsiode "Moby Dick Plagiarised," or whatever it was called. Eh. :o I don't think I'll be clearing my entire schedule to watch this series anytime soon. But the soundtrack in the background was excellent.

JediTricks
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Please do not insult me with Elmo comments. I would still drive a stake through his cold, black heart. No one could ever be desensitized to his babbling evil.

Speaking of cold, black hearts, here's a new avatar for you, DB! :p

25298And let me return the favor with this avatar for you, Chux:

BTW, I notice you haven't defended your claim that the wonderkwins (I couldn't get "-kats" and "-twins" to work together in any other way that was allowable ;)) were in any way non-annoying in the context of the whole episode. Because you can't. Because they were super annoying, they added nothing to the plot, their storyline was a goofy side trip through Anticstown. You lose, GOOD DAY SIR!

El Chuxter
08-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Only a Doombot would be so heartless as to frighten innocents by posting an image of that red monster. :p

I can accept your finding them annoying, but I disagree. I do think they'll prove useful when, unless they're throwing red herrings at us, their map to Eldora turns out to take them to the Book of Omens.

RooJay
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I actually found New Thundercats to be surprisingly better than the original! I'm sold! Picked up the Bandai figures at TRU today also, and they were also surprisingly better than I'd hoped! I'm not a fan at all of Bandai in general, and while they do have some issues (namely the ugly and all-too-obvious joints) I think they're actually pretty fantastic!

JediTricks
08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Only a Doombot would be so heartless as to frighten innocents by posting an image of that red monster. :p

I can accept your finding them annoying, but I disagree. I do think they'll prove useful when, unless they're throwing red herrings at us, their map to Eldora turns out to take them to the Book of Omens.Only an Elmo would repeat the same thing over and over again. ;)

You are almost certainly correct about their map, but that doesn't excuse their annoying behavior NOW. If the show gets canceled before they get the Book of Omens and find Panthro (which I guarantee they will) because of the annoying wonderkwins, then it won't matter how important they are down the line. Was Baby Anakin's "yippee"s and such any less annoying knowing that he had a destiny? Certainly not.

Beast
08-10-2011, 03:24 PM
JediTricks just doesn't have any joy in his heart anymore. Poor guy.

JediTricks
08-11-2011, 08:18 PM
JediTricks just doesn't have any joy in his heart anymore. Poor guy.That the excuse you're going with for having all your discerning taste drained out by blind fandom? ;)

And btw, still nobody has come in here and convincingly said WilyKit and WilyKat weren't annoying and chiefly unnecessary in that episode.

El Chuxter
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
They are extraneous at the moment. Cute, but extraneous. I have absolutely no doubt they will be important to the quest very soon, though.

AFCollector
08-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Were they annoying? Yes. What kids that age aren't? (Cat-man or otherwise.) Unnecessary? Yeah maybe. What else would you have done with them then? Seriously. Write me the script for that episode that explains why they aren't with the main group for that portion of their trip and how they get re-united.

I'm watching this show and remembering what it was like watching it as a kid. I don't hate them, but I can ignore them in favour of paying attention to the rest of the story. I think they were kinda funny in the first episode(s), and the whole "I'm gonna take care of you sis, once we find this treasure!" thing was nice.

Also, YES, colour me annoyed that their first episode other than the 2-part pilot was pretty much a rip of Moby Dick, but it's done. I'm up for seeing what else the show has, I'll make my final decision about it once all the episodes have aired.

El Chuxter
08-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I hadn't thought of it, but the Thundercats homage to Moby Dick aired the same week as the Futurama homage to Moby Dick, didn't it?

Either way, Transformers did it better.

JediTricks
08-12-2011, 03:02 PM
"What else would you have done with them?" NOT HAVE THEM IN THE SHOW YET. But since they're the hook for kiddies to watch, make them less annoying, more justified in being there, more a part of the story and less about idiotic antics. There are only 5 cats in all of Thundera, there's nothing to be lighthearted about, how would kids in that situation really deal? Granted, you don't have to have them be the kid from Helm's Deep (god knows something in the pilot didn't have to be lifted from the Battle of Helm's Deep ;)) but there is a better middle-ground than having them be cutesy antics-machines that are a hair's breadth away from having Spongebob and Patrick on the Millennium Falcon during its capture by the Death Star.

Hell, there went an excellent reason for them to be along for the ride: they are the last 2 subjects Lion-O has seen on his quest, he is their king, it is now his job to protect his people and the best way to do that isn't to let them fend for themselves while knowingly surrounded by their mortal enemies, it'd be to shelter and then teach them to defend themselves. There's a good storyline right there to fuel many an episode, Lion-O and Tygra were still readying themselves for adulthood when their quest was thrust upon them, they are essentially kids teaching younger kids which will lead to mistakes, to personal growth, and as adopted brothers they have similarities and vast differences that creates unique opportunities, especially with Tygra thinking he's already everything he needs to be so he needs to find his core while acting as a pompous elder brother. I'm sure Cheetara would fit in there too, although so far she hasn't really brought much to the table (hopefully tonight's episode gives her more of a character).

Anyway, back to my original arguments, there is nobody here who can claim they weren't annoying and unnecessary this go-round, that at best you guys are "tolerating" them in the show hoping they'll become something important down the road.

As for Moby Dick, they did indeed air it a day after Futurama's Moby Dick episode. I personally think Thundercats did right by using it, they had a lot of new ideas for the show right off the bat, setting a stage for a world we cannot comprehend of, and character development for Lion-O was a true arc, even watching his Captain Ahab spit his last breath for hatred's sake.

Maradona
08-13-2011, 03:09 AM
I have liked this show far more than I expected. Tonight's episode was my favorite so far. JM DeMatteis created a wonderful race of creatures whose story was tear-jerking and inspiring. I also like how the lizards have different specialties, much like the Snake Men from Masters of the Universe.

RooJay
08-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Whether necessary or not, the Thunderkittens were there (and why would they not be?) and I can state in all honestly that I do indeed enjoy them. They already are something important - members of the Tundercats and comic relief. Now, you could argue they were somewhat less than necessary if this were a show aimed at adults, but then you'd have to argue that this is a show aimed at adults; it is not. Characters of this type have been a staple of animated children's shows since the very beginning. No reason not to expect it, and not enjoying it is a sign that this type of thing maybe isn't for you.

AFCollector
08-13-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm with you two. I like the show, and the flower-people were pretty awesome weren't they?

I'm gonna keep watching it despite the kitten-hate. ;p

JimJamBonds
08-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm with you two. I like the show, and the flower-people were pretty awesome weren't they?They were? I certainly didn't think so.

JediTricks
08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
The WonderTwits were barely present this time, so less annoying - although them bawling in the background was a bit much. But it reminded me that the original WilyKit and Kat weren't so young, they were technically older than Lion-O (he was a 12-year-old in a grown cat's body thanks to a faulty sleeper pod).

As for the episode, it was an interesting idea, doesn't hold up for crap when looked at logically, but it made its statement and gave Lion-O another character arc to complete. One thing I couldn't give them though was the idea that a tactical retreat was somehow not a reasonable strategic choice, and used not 1 but 2 cheap deus ex machinas to get our heroes out of the troubles they brought upon themselves by discarding the retreat option. The only reason the lizards weren't dining on cat food and Mumm-ra wasn't foisting the sword of omens was due to cheap outs, and I cannot stand that sort of thing.

But, at least I called it with Panthro. :p I can't wait for them to nerf the Thundertank next time out, it takes down an entire legion of lizard troops and their powerful mechanical walkers this episode, but you just know it won't be able to handle a 5th of that next episode.

El Chuxter
08-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Kevin Michael Richardson must have it in his contract that any bald character he plays in a reboot of an 80s cartoon must have sideburns.

El Chuxter
08-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Well, duh, JediTricks. If the Thunderkittens hadn't been there, the Thundercats wouldn't have gotten past the first trap at the Tower of Omens. lol

I'm surprised that the Tower of Omens and Eldora don't appear to be the same place, after all. Mumm-Ra's flashback was quite intriguing--not only does it show the Eye of Thundara was indeed once his (even if it was stolen), but the cats used to serve him (happily, it appeared) to fight some sort of technological race (on another planet?). Mumm-Ra's tank was cool, though I'm curious at to how Mumm-Ra could be in sunlight when he was talking to Slythe.

I hope we eventually get a true origin story for Mumm-Ra. I don't recall ever getting anything from the original series, and this new version seems even more interesting, with his mastery of both magic and technology.

Lots of nice allusions to the old series mixed in throughout. (Driller last episode was a really cool nod.)

Maradona
08-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Another strong episode this week. Cartoon Network is doing well on Friday nights!

Maradona
09-02-2011, 08:30 PM
TIGERSHARKS!!!! MON-STARR!!!! What an episode! Oh, how I wish the Bandai figures were better and that they'd release half of what we got in tonight's episode.

El Chuxter
09-02-2011, 08:36 PM
My guess is that your provider gives you an East Coast feed. I've still got to wait a while. :mad:

JediTricks
09-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I just watched last week's episode. Easily the weakest so far. Bad writing, bad characters, and a few plot holes. Boy does Mumm-ra get big, his action figure (the deluxe) is a fatter and shorter incarnation, so at least he's got that going for him.

Also, they really need to get a real opening for the show. One of the best things about the original was the awesome opening credits. Here we just get a hint at the original theme and an episode title card.

At least Tygra got to use his bolo whip and camouflage gimmicks for once.

Maradona
09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
My guess is that your provider gives you an East Coast feed. I've still got to wait a while. :mad:

DirecTV is on EST for the most part. I posted my comment after watching the first 10 minutes from the DVR. I never thought I'd see those characters again. Could all the Rankin-Bass shows find their way into this series?

El Chuxter
09-02-2011, 10:45 PM
DAMMIT!! My frickin' cable decided to start glitching at exactly 8:29 PM. When it "came to," it started recording, but missed the first ten minutes; I don't want to watch the show and miss the first full third of it. It'll be OnDemand, but I'll have to wait until at least tomorrow, possibly as late as Monday.

Oh, they're going to get an irate phone call on Monday morning either way. :mad:

Maradona
09-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Wow. That is terrible. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the wait will be worth it for you. Make sure everything works on Sept. 16, when the new seasons of Young Justice, Clone Wars, and Brave and the Bold start.

RooJay
09-03-2011, 02:17 AM
I was juiced when I saw Monstarr and the Tigersharks dudes! I'm going to be needing reboots of the Silverhawks and Tigersharks shows now! Did anyone catch the name of Leo's gigantic cat girlfriend? Why the heck was she so big anyway?

Beast
09-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Man. I love the old show, but the new one is really blowing it out of the water.

The characters are a lot more fleshed out, and the stories are a lot more grand and inter-connected.

Really loved last night's episode for the flash backs and the filling out of the history of things. Best episode yet.

There's still a lot of question to be answered, like what happened to Panthro's tail. But I'm satisfied so far.

As for Commander Leo's Girlfriend? I think they were going for an Avatar vibe with her height. But who knows.

Oh, and according to the creators of the show... her name is Panthera. So there ya go.

El Chuxter
09-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Got to see it today. Holy moly, this show is getting better with every episode. (And JT will be pleased that there was no Thunderkitten action, and only minimal Snar***e.)

So there are three stones lost. Lion-O must find all three before Mumm-Ra and unite the various animals. And they were referred to as "animals," and transplanted to Third Earth. Which makes me think there's a connection to the animals of Earth that they resemble.

Mumm-Ra's pyramid is a crashed ship (or is shaped like it on the outside and looks just like it on the inside). The Thundertank is a relic from the past (possibly millennia in the past).

And Mon-Starr was one of Mumm-Ra's generals. Is it possible he escaped to another world, perhaps after gaining one of the power gems for himself? Are the Silverhawks in the past, or the future, or the present... or do they even exist?

Very cool how new questions are posed with each that's answered.

El Chuxter
10-29-2011, 04:55 PM
New episodes! Hooray!

JT, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that, if you don't like the Thunderkittens, then last night's episode is probably your all-time least favorite. Lots of cute, cuddly robot bears. Because that's all this show needed to push it over the threshold to true awesomeness: bears!

JediTricks
11-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Here's the thing, the Bearbils didn't bother me, that whole cutesy side-trip aspect is not unreasonable for storytelling. Plus, they actively were part of the story in the episode, even their cuteness was part of the story. Yet the Thunderkittens' aspect was again entirely superfluous to the story, they added absolutely nothing except kid-appeal - they didn't save anybody at all, they didn't bridge the gap between the 2 hero groups, they just ate and were hyper and pointless as usual.

My one issue with the Bearbils is that I couldn't understand much of their dialog due to the over-the-top robotic voice effects for them.

As for the episode itself, it wasn't terribly good but I didn't hate it, just felt it was a relatively pointless diversion - not much character- or plot-development.

JediTricks
06-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Well, it looks as if season 2's finale this weekend is to be Thundercats' final episode. Cartoon Network has not included it in their Fall upfronts (where they tell the press about their next season's schedule line-up) and the voice cast is lobbying CN to get a season 3 already, so while the official word isn't there, the writing is plainly on the wall.

The 2-part finale was ok, some of it smelled a bit of Empire Strikes Back on Cloud City, and the big twist was a big twist indeed, but it wasn't terrible. Kit and Kat finally were useful, really the ONLY time in the show (c'mon Chux, they spent several episodes where the Kittens ate candy and did nothing else) and it was quite the deus ex machina. Putting Tygra in the air was a bit cheap, but it was actually exciting to watch so I gave it a mild pass. Once again though, it didn't feel like there was enough sword and sorcery, the Sword of Omens really was just a laser beam yet again, it's disappointing, and the gauntlet turning into slightly more armor didn't carry as much importance as the scene needed.